2021 Bracketology | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Bracketology

That is if you believe the selection committee will use their regular methods.

As your listings of RPI rankings show, the usual RPI rankings are way out of line for the Big Ten.

So I think they will have to use some sort of subjective measure.

As your listings of RPI rankings show, the usual RPI rankings are way out of line for the Big Ten.

That could be true, too. Strange times...

So much for an extra at-large berth opening up. Syracuse could lose its two remaining games (at Notre Dame and at home against Robert Morris) and still land in the field. If it wins both, a top-four seed isn’t out of the question. Funny how fast things change.

i wouldn't say they're way out of line. last year, they had 3 teams at 35, 44 and 63 at season's end.
they did have 3 teams in the top 10, but their records are worse this year than the 18-15 or so they posted last year. plus they hadn't played all those bottom teams in conference, maybe dinging their rpi's.

that said, the committee has already signalled they're gonna do some eye testing although that's expressly verboten and there was no indication they got clearance for that.

anyway. go rutgers.

i wouldn't say they're way out of line. last year, they had 3 teams at 35, 44 and 63 at season's end.
they did have 3 teams in the top 10, but their records are worse this year than the 18-15 or so they posted last year. plus they hadn't played all those bottom teams in conference, maybe dinging their rpi's.
Of course, Hopkins was really horrible at the start of last year without Epstein, as we all remember and Rutgers was having a major face-off problem (.331), something they somewhat solved this year, and they added the Kirst brothers.
Further, using numbers based on just a 6 game season is rather inaccurate.
You can do better than that, wgdsr. I can get purposely biased stuff like that from QK and the writers on Inside Lacrosse.

If the ACC were just playing a home-away league only schedule, UVa at 2-4 would be essentially like PSU and OSU. Why don't you do a league only RPI for just the ACC's in conference games and tell us how that works out.

Of course, Hopkins was really horrible at the start of last year without Epstein, as we all remember and Rutgers was having a major face-off problem (.331), something they somewhat solved this year, and they added the Kirst brothers.
Further, using numbers based on just a 6 game season is rather inaccurate.
You can do better than that, wgdsr. I can get purposely biased stuff like that from QK and the writers on Inside Lacrosse.

If the ACC were just playing a home-away league only schedule, UVa at 2-4 would be essentially like PSU and OSU. Why don't you do a league only RPI for just the ACC's in conference games and tell us how that works out.
purposely biased? biased about what? i stated facts and stats. most of their season going forward was going to be against each other and you see how that runs out (.500 rpi for the conference). there was no avoiding that. their normal 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of w's and l's ooc was not there.

you give me hop '20 vs what? hop '21? tosu and psu (w ament) were as good as you could get last year and they're replaced by... rutgers?

sure, the b1g was pretty good from 15-19. but the most recent evidence says not so much. you were the one that cited the past. that's the most recent past.

so we literally don't know anything about the b1g this year and the comp. other than no one can beat maryland. has that ever happened?

your strawman on uva neglects to mention... they didn't do a league only schedule. they have a bunch of other games and their league has plenty. while it sucks for the b1g, that is what their own conference demanded and it's no one else's fault to take the hit.

as it is, the b1g/rutgers will get a gift (if they can't knock off the terps).

purposely biased? biased about what? i stated facts and stats. most of their season going forward was going to be against each other and you see how that runs out (.500 rpi for the conference). there was no avoiding that. their normal 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of w's and l's ooc was not there.

you give me hop '20 vs what? hop '21? tosu and psu (w ament) were as good as you could get last year and they're replaced by... rutgers?

sure, the b1g was pretty good from 15-19. but the most recent evidence says not so much. you were the one that cited the past. that's the most recent past.

so we literally don't know anything about the b1g this year and the comp. other than no one can beat maryland. has that ever happened?

your strawman on uva neglects to mention... they didn't do a league only schedule. they have a bunch of other games and their league has plenty. while it sucks for the b1g, that is what their own conference demanded and it's no one else's fault to take the hit.

as it is, the b1g/rutgers will get a gift (if they can't knock off the terps).
Maryland ran the conference in 2016.
Yeah, UVa has a bunch of other games against weaker teams. It does suck for the Big, so why don't you lay off.

Rutgers didn't lose anyone on offense and added an All-American transfer in Connor Kirst and found an impact freshman in Shane Knobloch, which can make a big difference.

It has amounted to many wins, but I think Hopkins played better this season.

Maryland ran the conference in 2016.
Yeah, UVa has a bunch of other games against weaker teams. It does suck for the Big, so why don't you lay off.

Rutgers didn't lose anyone on offense and added an All-American transfer in Connor Kirst and found an impact freshman in Shane Knobloch, which can make a big difference.

It has amounted to many wins, but I think Hopkins played better this season.
sorry, zack. you don't get to play that game. my reply was objective and factual, yet you decided it was a good time to take shots. and you still are, or so you think. you're fully capable of discussing without lobbing grenades.
what's good for the goose...

that "weaker schedule" is exactly the type that all conferences that can build w's and l's off of. every year. save going .400 to .600 from a minority of games against whoever "top" teams are. and uva has top 20 rpi w's ooc.

i hope rutgers added some peeps. as they were 2 and 4 in '20 with wins against quinnipiac and st john's and oh fer with a huge blowout against another foursome. including stony.

rutgers is going to take another team's spot from past protocols in all likelihood. that sucks for them, too.

sorry, zack. you don't get to play that game. my reply was objective and factual, yet you decided it was a good time to take shots. and you still are, or so you think. you're fully capable of discussing without lobbing grenades.
what's good for the goose...

that "weaker schedule" is exactly the type that all conferences that can build w's and l's off of. every year. save going .400 to .600 from a minority of games against whoever "top" teams are. and uva has top 20 rpi w's ooc.

i hope rutgers added some peeps. as they were 2 and 4 in '20 with wins against quinnipiac and st john's and oh fer with a huge blowout against another foursome. including stony.

rutgers is going to take another team's spot from past protocols in all likelihood. that sucks for them, too.
As I have already mentioned I don't think the RPI statistics work that well for this season.

I'm not really too concerned with the protocols, but more about getting the top teams into the NCAA tmt. Right now Rutgers is ranked 5th in the coaches' poll.

lol at a MD fan and a UVa fan p1ssing back and forth at each other on a Syracuse Lax board...
1619615928640.gif

you guys have a great board. and i ran out of popcorn.

here's to the cuse getting their own sitchy somewhat resolved in the coming days. as far as the situation itself, hopefully that resolves the way it should.
I wasn't necessarily asking you to stop, I just thought it was funny.

As I have already mentioned I don't think the RPI statistics work that well for this season.

I'm not really too concerned with the protocols, but more about getting the top teams into the NCAA tmt. Right now Rutgers is ranked 5th in the coaches' poll.
there are some absolute truths here:
-nc$$ set up criteria
-committee has wormed around that somewhat to varying degrees. but most recently (last 3 years of tourn) it's moved to more straight #s (i.e. straight rpi)vs. interpreting #s and weighting them.

interpretation - that has benefitted schools like acc and b1g and even ivy for a number of reasons. primarily scheduling muscle.

back to absolute truths... now that that won't benefit one of those conferences, they are going against all previous protocol... interpretation - to benefit one of those conferences. that made their own independent call. conference just happens to be biggest money maker in the nc$$.

so if you're not in the club, you are hosed again.

the rest is all gray. every b1g or b1g team fan i've come across this year thinks rpi doesn't work that well this year. and/or is ok with not following protocols. so not surprising. i've never seen them define exactly why that is (numbers?) or what the dividing line is for them, so i would say it's not coincidental.

Last edited:
My god, an ACC fan complaining about the Big Ten possibly getting 2 teams in.
Rutgers still has the Big Ten tmt to play, and the selection committee hasn't made their selections.
I'm for trying to get all of the top ten into the tournament.

My god, an ACC fan complaining about the Big Ten possibly getting 2 teams in.
Rutgers still has the Big Ten tmt to play, and the selection committee hasn't made their selections.
I'm for trying to get all of the top ten into the tournament.
what makes you think i'm an acc fan? in this instance in particular?

i'm assuming you played? i'm a fan of the most deserving teams getting in. it's bad enough the system was not equal before. if rutgers wins the tourney, of course at that point, there's maybe no one getting hosed. depending on the next 2 weeks an acc team might be in the same spot. we'll see and that's not the point.

nc$$ selection was bad enough as they tweaked it every year. worse when they went to rpi. now this. be careful what you wish for, and in future years if needed hope you have a friendly committee to your team.

there should be criteria, disclosure early in year (and semi-permanent). otherwise, it's a beauty contest or who you know. i don't play for any of these teams, but i certainly can pick a side on how they may be getting handled.

Syracuse unseeded, matched up with 8 seed Rutgers, in IL's second Bracketology. Weird bracket in general, not sure I agree with four ACC teams on one side, and only UNC on the other. -

I still don't agree with RU being seeded ahead of us (or in this case, seeded at all).

We have 2 Top 5 wins and a higher RPI. They have no Top 10 wins. In fact, they have no Top 30 wins if you look at RPI.

Makes no sense.

I still don't agree with RU being seeded ahead of us (or in this case, seeded at all).

We have 2 Top 5 wins and a higher RPI. They have no Top 10 wins. In fact, they have no Top 30 wins if you look at RPI.

Makes no sense.

They haven’t beaten a team with a winning record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom