2021 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

That is just an excuse not to spend.
Seriously, you spend other's money so easily. If I understand the rules correctly, and I may not, but I believe it continues to get worse each year you are over the threshold. So, it behooves a team to stay below or only temporarily go above, but not continuously stay above the threshold. Otherwise, you are literally paying your opposition to get better. You are paying for their acquisitions.

Seriously, you spend other's money so easily. If I understand the rules correctly, and I may not, but I believe it continues to get worse each year you over the threshold. So, it behooves a team to stay below or only temporarily go above, but not continuously stay above the threshold. Otherwise, you are literally paying your opposition to get better. You are paying for their acquisitions.

BTW that money I'm spending some of mine and my family. We attend 2 to 3 yankees home weekend series a year.

Seriously, you spend other's money so easily. If I understand the rules correctly, and I may not, but I believe it continues to get worse each year you are over the threshold. So, it behooves a team to stay below or only temporarily go above, but not continuously stay above the threshold. Otherwise, you are literally paying your opposition to get better. You are paying for their acquisitions.

Every year you spend over the threshold, your penalty goes up.

The Yanks were in the 50% penalty bracket.

For 2020 they were $60 Mil over the limit = a $30 Mil penalty. Money we just handed to Baltimore and Tampa who both were under.

Every year you spend over the threshold, your penalty goes up.

The Yanks were in the 50% penalty bracket.

For 2020 they were $60 Mil over the limit = a $30 Mil penalty. Money we just handed to Baltimore and Tampa who both were under.
It seems like a fairly intelligent way or leveling the playing field. Although, many teams just pocket that money. Either way, it isn't smart for a team to continuously be above that threshold, because the increasing penalty.

What does this mean, exactly?

It means they will be arbitration eligible a year earlier.

Players typically must accrue three years of Major League service time -- with one year of service time equaling 172 days on the 25-man roster or the Major League injured list -- to become eligible for salary arbitration. Super Two is a designation that allows a select group of players to become eligible for arbitration before reaching three years of service time.

To qualify for the Super Two designation, players must rank in the top 22 percent, in terms of service time, among those who have amassed between two and three years in the Majors. Typically, this applies to players who have two years and at least 130 days of service time, although the specific cutoff date varies on a year-to-year basis.

It means they will be arbitration eligible a year earlier.

Players typically must accrue three years of Major League service time -- with one year of service time equaling 172 days on the 25-man roster or the Major League injured list -- to become eligible for salary arbitration. Super Two is a designation that allows a select group of players to become eligible for arbitration before reaching three years of service time.

To qualify for the Super Two designation, players must rank in the top 22 percent, in terms of service time, among those who have amassed between two and three years in the Majors. Typically, this applies to players who have two years and at least 130 days of service time, although the specific cutoff date varies on a year-to-year basis.
Hang on. Hang on.

So you're telling me we've been doinking Frazier around with all kinds of roster time machinations... and it didn't actually matter?