2022 Bracketology | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Bracketology

6261857b4f7ec.png

I really hate Notre Dame, particularly after the repeated beatdowns they have given Cuse the last few years. I think they can make it into the tourney but only if they win their last 3 games with UNC, Cuse and Duke.

It looks like Notre Dame has the first of those 3 in the bag.

The Ivy League is being very over-rated by the RPI statistic. It's amazing what a different view one gets looking at the mathematical ranking:

Only 2 Ivy league teams in the top 10: #5 Princeton and #9 Penn.
#3 Notre Dame, #4 Duke, and #8 Ohio State are all fighting for life on the bubble with the RPI. #10 Richmond needs to win a AQ to have a shot.

Notre Dame does have a weakness in their NCAA selection resume, that being that their selection criteria SOS is #24. So even if they win out the teams that they will be competing with for the last spot will have significantly higher SOS.

Notre Dame does have a weakness in their NCAA selection resume, that being that their selection criteria SOS is #24. So even if they win out the teams that they will be competing with for the last spot will have significantly higher SOS.
if they actually use that this year, it will improve significantly in the next 2 games. detroit and someone else will drop. they're one of the few teams who haven't played over 10 games and had the worst ones drop.

if they actually use that this year, it will improve significantly in the next 2 games. detroit and someone else will drop. they're one of the few teams who haven't played over 10 games and had the worst ones drop.
I don't believe that will happen, because the person doing the NCAA SOS can look forward to games on the schedule and has probably accounted for the upcoming games already. He can't account for league tournament games though.

I don't believe that will happen, because the person doing the NCAA SOS can look forward to games on the schedule and has probably accounted for the upcoming games already. He can't account for league tournament games though.
guess we'll see. i asked the lax reference guy if he includes any future games, and he said he doesn't. he has them at 24 as well. nd will have 6 acc (duke and syr 2x), maryland, tosu and g'town. and one other. i'm not seeing 15-17 tougher schedules out there but we'll see.

Included in ND's top 10 will be 2 games with #31 and #41 Michigan. Many of the other top teams will not include 3 low RPIs like that

Included in ND's top 10 will be 2 games with #31 and #41 Michigan. Many of the other top teams will not include 3 low RPIs like that
and many won't have a 1.000 and a .900+ game on there, either. and many at the bubble will have at least one or 2, and maybe 3. nd's sos has tanked the last several weeks and not because of opponents. but you may be right. with only 12 games, nd has a risk. that's again, if they care about anything other than straight rpi.

and many won't have a 1.000 and a .900+ game on there, either. and many at the bubble will have at least one or 2, and maybe 3. nd's sos has tanked the last several weeks and not because of opponents. but you may be right. with only 12 games, nd has a risk. that's again, if they care about anything other than straight rpi.
I believe that the NCAA SOS is the average of a team's top 10 RPI opponents, not those team's won-loss percentages.

I believe that the NCAA SOS is the average of a team's top 10 RPI opponents, not those team's won-loss percentages.
source? i hadn't heard that.

Hempstead, N.Y.​

(1) BIG TEN/Maryland vs. CAA/Towson-MAAC/St. Bonaventure
(8) Penn vs. Duke

Columbus, Ohio​

(5) Brown vs. SOUTHERN/Jacksonville
(4) Yale vs. PATRIOT/Boston University

Columbus, Ohio​

(3) BIG EAST/Georgetown vs. NEC/Saint Joseph’s
(6) Virginia vs. Ohio State

Hempstead, N.Y.​

(7) Rutgers vs. Cornell
(2) IVY/Princeton vs. ASUN/Utah-AEC/Vermont

Last three in:
Duke, Cornell, Ohio State

First three out: Harvard, Notre Dame, Denver

Moving in:

Moving out:

Conference call: Ivy (5), Big Ten (3), Atlantic Coast (2)

ivies are all over the place.. 6 teams on the edge.. 2 wont even make the Ivy Tournament.

Penn might be better off not going and taking another loss.
Cornell at this point likely needs to win this week vs Princeton
Would Yale losing to Harvard knock them out and put Harvard in or move 6 teams in for the league?

I guess the big difference between 2016 and this year is there were a lot more AQs near the top in 2016.
This year, there are 3 AQs near the top: Big Ten, Big East, and Ivy, which gets us 3 + 8 ~ 11.

In 2016, I believe the ACC was still getting a holdover AQ from 2014.
ND #2, Duke #9, Syracuse #10, UNC #17 (UVa #26)
Albany had the #8 RPI
Denver had the #3 RPI, Marquette #6
Maryland had the #1 RPI
Towson had the #11 RPI
Brown had the #3 RPI, Yale #5 RPI
Quinnipiac had the #16 RPI
Loyola had the #7 RPI, Navy #14 RPI
Air Force had the #13 RPI
So with all the AQs near the top it is one can see how they got out to #17 UNC in 2016.

so 2 of the top 7 RPI will lose this weekend in the Ivy.. but 1 of them is also gonna get 2 top rpi wins

Brown is close to the bubble with that #9 RPI, but they have 2 top 5 wins. A loss to Penn wouldn't drop them much.

Brown is close to the bubble with that #9 RPI, but they have 2 top 5 wins. A loss to Penn wouldn't drop them much.

Brown = lock

There is no scenario where they miss. The most suspect lock of the 9 is Rutgers. I tried and tried to pick apart Rutgers, Brown, Cornell, and Pennsylvania for hours. They are all in.

The thing that saves Rutgers is that if the lose to OSU, a double bid steal also has to involve OSU losing to Hopkins.

Brown = lock

There is no scenario where they miss. The most suspect lock of the 9 is Rutgers. I tried and tried to pick apart Rutgers, Brown, Cornell, and Pennsylvania for hours. They are all in.

The thing that saves Rutgers is that if the lose to OSU, a double bid steal also has to involve OSU losing to Hopkins.
You are probably right about Brown, those 2 top 5 victories get them in. Still if OSU beat Rutgers and ND beat Duke, it might be possible for Brown's RPI to slip to #12. Brown does have an outside the top 20 loss to UMass.

Hempstead, N.Y., quarterfinal

(1) BIG TEN/Maryland vs. COLONIAL/Delaware-METRO ATLANTIC/St. Bonaventure

(8) Virginia vs. Penn

Hempstead, N.Y., quarterfinal

(5) Rutgers vs. SOUTHERN/Jacksonville

(4) Princeton vs. PATRIOT/Boston University

Columbus, Ohio, quarterfinal

(3) Yale vs. NORTHEAST/Saint Joseph’s

(6) IVY/Brown vs. Ohio State

Columbus, Ohio, quarterfinal

(7) Cornell vs. Duke

(2) BIG EAST/Georgetown vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah-AMERICA EAST/Vermont

Last three included: Penn, Duke, Ohio State

First three on the outside: Notre Dame, Harvard, Denver

Moving in: Delaware

Moving out: Towson

Conference call: Ivy (5), Big Ten (3), Atlantic Coast (2)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom