2022 Fall Ball | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

We’re still shitty. ;)
cute-sad.gif

;)

Not that I trust Axe's insight, but he mentions Spallina starting at attack with Hiltz and freshman Finn Thomson. If that is the case, then I'm thinking first mids will be Kirst, Simmons, and Birtwhistle.

Not that I trust Axe's insight, but he mentions Spallina starting at attack with Hiltz and freshman Finn Thomson. If that is the case, then I'm thinking first mids will be Kirst, Simmons, and Birtwhistle.
Woahhh. That would be something

I would take anything he says with a grain of salt. The exact lines are surely still a work in progress and probably wont be finalized until late January/Early February.
Definitely true. Still probably a sign that Thomson is turning heads in practice

Axe's words: "He’ll be counted on to contribute right away in the spring on a talented attack line with Owen Hiltz back from injury and another five-star freshman, Finn Thomson."

I agree with Jeremy, I would take that with a huge grain of salt. I'd be really surprised if they had settled on a starting attack line this early into fall ball, especially with two freshmen in the mix. That's a really exciting possibility, but I would imagine just one of many at this point. It was just a few weeks ago we thought Simmons was starting with Spallina and Hiltz based on what Paul Carcaterra saw at practice.

As for the rest of the coverage. Nothing crazy. The Gait quote that I stood out to me the most was:

On having a younger team this year: “What I like in having a team now that’s flipped from a veteran team is now you have a young group of players that are open and ready to do anything that is asked of them,” Gait said. “When you have a group of fifth-, sixth-year players that are kind of set in their ways, to try to change them in one year is very difficult.

“They’re open-minded, they’re ready and want the help. We can do more teaching. We can do more lacrosse IQ development because they’re more receptive.”

Hesitate to put that out there based on the spirited discussions we've had regarding Gait continually blaming last years team for their record, but it did seem noteworthy.

It also sounds like he's reworking things with Petro:

On how things will work with Gait and defensive coordinator Dave Pietramala this year: “Coach Pietramala and myself, we’ve kind of met in the middle. He likes to do things a certain way. Last year, he had the green light to do whatever he wanted. This year, we’re doing things a little differently and we’re trying to accomplish the same goal, which is to win the national championship, but there’s always different ways you can do things.

“We’ve definitely changed the style a little bit in the way we are doing things, and I think it’s going to be a positive. And for me, I know I’m excited, because this is our group of guys and we’re committed to them and we want them all to be here for a long time.”

It sounds like Griffin Cook thinks he'll be back by the beginning of next season, which would be impressive.

Axe's words: "He’ll be counted on to contribute right away in the spring on a talented attack line with Owen Hiltz back from injury and another five-star freshman, Finn Thomson."

I agree with Jeremy, I would take that with a huge grain of salt. I'd be really surprised if they had settled on a starting attack line this early into fall ball, especially with two freshmen in the mix. That's a really exciting possibility, but I would imagine just one of many at this point. It was just a few weeks ago we thought Simmons was starting with Spallina and Hiltz based on what Paul Carcaterra saw at practice.

As for the rest of the coverage. Nothing crazy. The Gait quote that I stood out to me the most was:

On having a younger team this year: “What I like in having a team now that’s flipped from a veteran team is now you have a young group of players that are open and ready to do anything that is asked of them,” Gait said. “When you have a group of fifth-, sixth-year players that are kind of set in their ways, to try to change them in one year is very difficult.

“They’re open-minded, they’re ready and want the help. We can do more teaching. We can do more lacrosse IQ development because they’re more receptive.”

Hesitate to put that out there based on the spirited discussions we've had regarding Gait continually blaming last years team for their record, but it did seem noteworthy.

On how things will work with Gait and defensive coordinator Dave Pietramala this year: “Coach Pietramala and myself, we’ve kind of met in the middle. He likes to do things a certain way. Last year, he had the green light to do whatever he wanted. This year, we’re doing things a little differently and we’re trying to accomplish the same goal, which is to win the national championship, but there’s always different ways you can do things.

“We’ve definitely changed the style a little bit in the way we are doing things, and I think it’s going to be a positive. And for me, I know I’m excited, because this is our group of guys and we’re committed to them and we want them all to be here for a long time.”

It sounds like Griffin Cook thinks he'll be back by the beginning of next season, which would be impressive.

He blamed the players for being set in their ways and here he blames his coaching staff.

He blamed the players for being set in their ways and here he blames his coaching staff.
How is "we" leaving him out of it? You are a completely biased hater dude.

How is "we" leaving him out of it? You are a completely biased hater dude.
Read what he said.

Last year Petro had full autonomy. This year not so - Gait is intervening. That implies that last year Petro was not doing a good job. Hence, blaming his coaching staff for the 4 -10 and not taking any blame himself.

Of course we know that it is fully on him because he was the person that hired Petro and then went on to allow him total autonomy.

will Gait ever stop the bad noises? Now it's Petro under the bus. Ugh.

will Gait ever stop the bad noises? Now it's Petro under the bus. Ugh.
Next up, March ? Is he safe from the Wrath of G ? Maybe. He did bring in some highly recruited freshman. We shall see.

View attachment 221074Just received this response via DM on Twitter

Hmm I wonder what the reasoning is? I couldn't have gone but it would have been great to get feedback from people who could have gone. Hopefully someone is able to sneak in. Always something I had circled on my calendar, hopefully they open it up to the public in the future.

At the very least Inside Lacrosse should cover the Loyola scrimmage since it's in their backyard.

Every lacrosse coach that comes in for a down team talks about rebuilding team culture. Culture is always most ingrained with veteran players. You take that as a shot at the players. I guess it is. So be it.

My understanding is that Syracuse was always something of a "roll the ball out" team. That works with elite talent. We didnt have it. If you're culture is, "We're Syracuse; we're elite; HHH," and you're actually kinda not good, that's a problem that needs to be fixed.

As for Petro, he's a coach and he's still cashing checks. I'm sure he's not crying himself to sleep at night.

Every lacrosse coach that comes in for a down team talks about rebuilding team culture. Culture is always most ingrained with veteran players. You take that as a shot at the players. I guess it is. So be it.

My understanding is that Syracuse was always something of a "roll the ball out" team. That works with elite talent. We didnt have it. If you're culture is, "We're Syracuse; we're elite; HHH," and you're actually kinda not good, that's a problem that needs to be fixed.

As for Petro, he's a coach and he's still cashing checks. I'm sure he's not crying himself to sleep at night.
But the thing is he didn't even say anything remotely bad about Petro! Literally just said last year Petro was fully in charge of the defense and this year we will be doing more collaboration. Only people determined to see the worst in everything he says off the cuff could interpret that as "I can't believe that idiot Petro ruined the defense and our season last year. Totally his fault not mine. Now I'm gonna come in and clean up that losers mess."

Like he didn't even say anything remotely close to "the defense was bad last year" and even if he did, that would be an objectively 1000% true statement! God forbid the head coach gets involved in the defense (shouldn't all the Gait does nothing people be happy about this?). God forbid the DC of one of the least efficient defenses in D1 gets even a potential speck of shade thrown his way in vague spur of the moment answers. Please grow a pair people.

Read what he said.

Last year Petro had full autonomy. This year not so - Gait is intervening. That implies that last year Petro was not doing a good job. Hence, blaming his coaching staff for the 4 -10 and not taking any blame himself.
That's what you do when they are not getting it done. Not taking any blame? He's taking blame for not getting more personally involved earlier. But, I guess English comprehension is not your strong suit.

Update 2022 Alumni Game.

There's been some contradictory info coming here regarding the Alumni Game.

Does anyone know if the game will be open to the public ?

That's what you do when they are not getting it done. Not taking any blame? He's taking blame for not getting more personally involved earlier. But, I guess English comprehension is not your strong suit.
Well. If that's your take, why not state it publicly in plain English to comprehend... "Our 2022 season was not what I hoped it would be and I take full responsibility for that. From not having the players prepared individually and as a team, not having them prepared for each opponent, and for not having my coaching staff prepared before the season started, as the season progressed, and down the stretch of 6 straight losses to close the 2022 season. I want to apologize to the players, their parents, the coaches, the University, and our fans. I promise to do a better job in 2023 and look forward to bringing the winning tradition and mindset back to Syracuse Lacrosse."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom