2022 Fall Ball | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

Do posters think Gait knows the damage he does when he compares last year's players to this year's? Is he oblivious or uncaring? Is he aware of the pressure he puts on the new kids? Or maybe, it's a tactic. I've talked about this before, so I will stop after repeating that I don't like this stuff. Lot's of last year's kids are still on the team. Does he want to create a split? Just not likable.
If you come to a school like 'Cuse, MD, and UVA you have to expect that there is going to be pressure/high expectations.Maybe Gait was unable to play the style he wanted to play with last years team. He is being honest if that is the case. My college coaches said a lot harsher things to us. Corrigan is much hasher and outwardly rips his players. Not saying I agree with it, but this is not uncommon.

Last edited:
If you come to a school like 'Cuse, MD, and UVA you have to expect that there is going to be pressure/high expectations.Maybe Gait was unable to play the style he wanted to play with last years team. He is being honest if that is the case. My college coaches said a lot harsher things to us. Corrigan is much hasher and outwardly rips his players. Not saying I agree with it, but this is not uncommon.
you make a good point. My coaches blasted us too, but usually as a group or by ripping a player during practice or a game when he did something stupid. I guess I always respected a coach who commanded respect without resorting to that stuff. But then remember Casey Stengel when he asked of the Mets, "Can anyone on this team play the game?" It happens on that one, no, nobody could.

Mean you would think since coaching girls lax for 14yrs or more he would be more sensitive to players.

or maby gait and petro do good cop bad cop? Not sure would apply for lax but who knows.

Mean you would think since coaching girls lax for 14yrs or more he would be more sensitive to players.
That doesn’t have anything to do with it. I don’t think Gait has said anything that really crosses the line. I’m more concerned with what he doesn’t say (taking accountability for his own coaching decisions as well after bad losses) but girls can handle tough coaching just as well as anyone. I’ve seen just as many crazy harsh coaches in womens sports.

Gait can blame last years players all he wants, but push comes to shove, if he isn’t getting results, he’ll only have his record to stand beside. Players come and go but Gait will be the constant.

It does seem pretty clear that he was a bit naive about what he was stepping into last year. He admitted as much last year when he said he made the schedule too difficult.

That said I don’t think he’s all that wrong, there were talent issues last year. I’m pretty sure we could all see a team that had a hard time catching and throwing the ball. It’s hard to tell how much is on the players and how much is on the staff with some of this stuff.

The Albany game seemed to be mostly on the staff with all the offsides calls. Games where players like Dordevic weren’t moving the ball and not shooting it well (Hopkins game comes to mind) whose fault is that? Should the coaches have benched him? I just don’t know. Berkman couldn’t beat a short stick last year which really hindered the offense. The offense improved when Birtwistle took his spot, a negative for the staff is why did that take so long? Hiltz going down I think hurt the offense more than people give it credit. I think he was meant to be the pivot that made everything connect. When he went down Curry and Dordevic felt like they had to do everything themselves.

Defense was awful last year and I’m extremely worried about that unit this year. The same group of players weren’t much better with Rogers in charge the year prior which gives Petro a bit of an excuse. But Petros defenses at Hopkins at the end of his reign were not good either. I think it’s best that the unit will be welcoming a bunch of new starters but there were some things I saw, from a scheme perspective, that were all wrong last year.

Anyways, this post is all over the place. I think the offense has a ton of talent with a nice mix of freshmen and veterans. The defense I’m worried will just be too young and Petro makes me nervous given his recent track record. Long story short I think more nervous about the coaching staff than I am the talent for 2023.

Gait can blame last years players all he wants, but push comes to shove, if he isn’t getting results, he’ll only have his record to stand beside. Players come and go but Gait will be the constant.

It does seem pretty clear that he was a bit naive about what he was stepping into last year. He admitted as much last year when he said he made the schedule too difficult.

That said I don’t think he’s all that wrong, there were talent issues last year. I’m pretty sure we could all see a team that had a hard time catching and throwing the ball. It’s hard to tell how much is on the players and how much is on the staff with some of this stuff.

The Albany game seemed to be mostly on the staff with all the offsides calls. Games where players like Dordevic weren’t moving the ball and not shooting it well (Hopkins game comes to mind) whose fault is that? Should the coaches have benched him? I just don’t know. Berkman couldn’t beat a short stick last year which really hindered the offense. The offense improved when Birtwistle took his spot, a negative for the staff is why did that take so long? Hiltz going down I think hurt the offense more than people give it credit. I think he was meant to be the pivot that made everything connect. When he went down Curry and Dordevic felt like they had to do everything themselves.

Defense was awful last year and I’m extremely worried about that unit this year. The same group of players weren’t much better with Rogers in charge the year prior which gives Petro a bit of an excuse. But Petros defenses at Hopkins at the end of his reign were not good either. I think it’s best that the unit will be welcoming a bunch of new starters but there were some things I saw, from a scheme perspective, that were all wrong last year.

Anyways, this post is all over the place. I think the offense has a ton of talent with a nice mix of freshmen and veterans. The defense I’m worried will just be too young and Petro makes me nervous given his recent track record. Long story short I think more nervous about the coaching staff than I am the talent for 2023.
It’s good that they have some talent this year.

not sure what you mean here. does corrigan throw his players under the bus in pressers? link?

Do posters think Gait knows the damage he does when he compares last year's players to this year's? Is he oblivious or uncaring? Is he aware of the pressure he puts on the new kids? Or maybe, it's a tactic. I've talked about this before, so I will stop after repeating that I don't like this stuff. Lot's of last year's kids are still on the team. Does he want to create a split? Just not likable.
I've been saying the same thing during the 2022 season. He was a great player, a good woman's HC, but so far, a bad men's HC. His ego is too big for a first time men's HC. Moreover, in my opinion, bringing in Petro was a mistake of epic proportions.

When the team needed his leadership most - during the 6 straight losses to end the season - he never took responsibility but instead, blamed the players for lack of talent - WOW!!. It's no wonder that Tucker changed his mind and left for G-Town.

Maybe it is selective memory but I rarely recall John Desko ripping the players in the media. I hope Gait works out. Agree he should be careful.
For the most part, I recall Coach Desko putting the emphasis on he and his staff to do a better job preparing for the game.

you know I love your stuff, P22, but you seem to miss the point of this. Whether or not the team was lousy and full of bad players is a red herring. Gait continues to insist that last year's play was the players' fault when we are all in this together should be his mantra. He is a big reason for the lousy season. Why aren't we asking why he did not do a better job of bringing out the very best in his team. There are coaches who can make winning teams out of less talented players. We have all seen them. For me though, the real problem is that Gait does not seem to learn from his errors, he still rips last year's team even after all my well crafted bs. Could it be that I'm wrong here. Yeah, probably.

Idk I do think the goalie and D especially SSDM hurt the team last yr bad. I would wait to see how the team does this yr before judging the coaches. He might be 100% right and the some of the guys in important positions weren't physically capable. He has what he needs he claims this yr so it's time to prove it. If the team does very well this yr then he was right even tho he shouldn't say it. I think ppl knew the team lacked talent in key spots so no need to keep bringing it up. Same with Petro ppl are being hard on him but the guy is a great coach. His time was done at Hopkins he needed a change to. If the talent on D wasn't capable even with good coaching then what can he do? This yr is the real test. If they don't improve and a lot then it's on the coaches. Not saying a championship but the team should win a good amount of games and make the tournament or at least be on the bubble. I would wait til after this season before judging them.

7-2 maryland over cornell 8mins left in 2nd qtr. Maryland passing ball really nice most of goals right on door step.

not sure what you mean here. does corrigan throw his players under the bus in pressers? link?
Oh gawd. They were like 4-11 with a loss to a down Albany. He didn’t name names and he didn’t say anything different from what everyone was already thinking.

These young men weren’t up to it. Maybe the next batch will be. Hell, maybe Gait won’t even be. This is the highest echelon of the sport. If a player can’t handle it, that’s a problem.

Take it personal. Prove Gait wrong.

Hate seeing stuff like this. Seems like a good kid too, wore #11 in the Dome in honor of Zulberti when the Terps and Orange faced off last year. Hope he gets better soon.

Sounds like the Terps are going with Murphy, Maltz and Kelly at attack. Not a lot of dodging prowess with those three but with the way Maryland moves the ball it might now matter. I imagine most of the offense will initiate out of the midfield and flow down to the attack.

Oh gawd. They were like 4-11 with a loss to a down Albany. He didn’t name names and he didn’t say anything different from what everyone was already thinking.

These young men weren’t up to it. Maybe the next batch will be. Hell, maybe Gait won’t even be. This is the highest echelon of the sport. If a player can’t handle it, that’s a problem.

"This is the highest echelon of the sport. If a player can’t handle it, that’s a problem."

Imagine the problem if the HC can't handle it ?

"This is the highest echelon of the sport. If a player can’t handle it, that’s a problem."

Imagine the problem if the HC can't handle it ?
That would be a problem. But he’s handled MLL, NLL, national team, and Upper D-1 womens. This team had a significant talent deficit to its primary competitors. I’ll give him the couple years he asked for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom