2022 Fall Ball | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

Figueiras was injured Friday at the end of practice. He is awaiting an MRI but the preliminary opinion is not promising.

Ya we wont be seeing him again until this time next year. Very unfortunate injury to say the least, was going to start.

Like clockwork. Long pole is an issue next year as it is. Did not bring any transfers there probably on the assumption that guys like Figueras could play out of the gate. Sickening.

Ya we wont be seeing him again until this time next year. Very unfortunate injury to say the least, was going to start.

When I joked with him at the tailgate that I expected his recruiting class to win 5 National Championships, I assumed that someone from his class would be redshirting.

I didn't mean it to be him. :(

When I joked with him at the tailgate that I expected his recruiting class to win 5 National Championships, I assumed that someone from his class would be redshirting.

I didn't mean it to be him. :(

Agreed, not what u want. However, better now then February.

Whatever happened to minor injuries? What happened to tweaking something or a strain instead of the worst thing ever? In practice? Just a nightmare

Any chance we get something brief on the alumni game? I think we got some stuff in the past at one point.

Any chance we get something brief on the alumni game? I think we got some stuff in the past at one point.

Alumni games used to be open to the public and the media. For some reason, this one wasn't.

Unless somebody leaks something, we may not get an official write-up.

Alumni games used to be open to the public and the media. For some reason, this one wasn't.

Unless somebody leaks something, we may not get an official write-up.
Based on the picture posted on instagram, it looks like they may have mixed the two teams with current players and alumni? Brendan Curry and Joey Spallina both wearing white, Brett Kennedy and Michael Page both wearing orange for example. I wonder if that was because not enough alum to field their own team, or didnt want to show the new team off as is exactly.

Based on the picture posted on instagram, it looks like they may have mixed the two teams with current players and alumni? Brendan Curry and Joey Spallina both wearing white, Brett Kennedy and Michael Page both wearing orange for example. I wonder if that was because not enough alum to field their own team, or didnt want to show the new team off as is exactly.
The game was open - just walk through Gate A. Not sure why the lack of transparency on the school's part. Earlier in the week it seemed like a public event and then on Friday it was not. Nonetheless, if you wanted to attend you just needed to enter through Gate A.

The game was open - just walk through Gate A. Not sure why the lack of transparency on the school's part. Earlier in the week it seemed like a public event and then on Friday it was not. Nonetheless, if you wanted to attend you just needed to enter through Gate A.

Did you go?

They have put the Canadian lacrosse on YouTube.. but haven’t found any with commentary.. just pic… haven’t seen anything from the Maryland event yet
No commentary and from a distance so tough to watch. Very sloppy from all teams from what I saw but Hiltz had a rocket from the corner. His lefty cannon can hang with the best of em. Can't wait to watch him this yr.

No commentary and from a distance so tough to watch. Very sloppy from all teams from what I saw but Hiltz had a rocket from the corner. His lefty cannon can hang with the best of em. Can't wait to watch him this yr.
The St Joes v Canada White game is the only one a took an extended look at yesterday. Was able to put up with the poor camera quality. Canada offense was beautiful to watch. Hiltz had several incredible feeds as well as a couple goals. The ball movement of the Canadian team is so insane and I hope we have enough weapons this year to have ball movement that at least looks somewhat like theirs. Yes they had some strong dodgers, but often they just killed St. Joes with ball movement. 6 guys who are all talented and on the same page can dissect an inferior defense, no planned offensive sets required. Having Thomson Hiltz and Simmons is a great start in that department, and I hope guys like Spallina and Leo can match their ball movement abilities.

Hiltz is a guy who coaches have starting on the lefty wing no matter how stacked their talent it. He did not look out of place in any way and in fact looked like one of the stronger players on the team. Just an incredible talent.

The St Joes v Canada White game is the only one a took an extended look at yesterday. Was able to put up with the poor camera quality. Canada offense was beautiful to watch. Hiltz had several incredible feeds as well as a couple goals. The ball movement of the Canadian team is so insane and I hope we have enough weapons this year to have ball movement that at least looks somewhat like theirs. Yes they had some strong dodgers, but often they just killed St. Joes with ball movement. 6 guys who are all talented and on the same page can dissect an inferior defense, no planned offensive sets required. Having Thomson Hiltz and Simmons is a great start in that department, and I hope guys like Spallina and Leo can match their ball movement abilities.

Hiltz is a guy who coaches have starting on the lefty wing no matter how stacked their talent it. He did not look out of place in any way and in fact looked like one of the stronger players on the team. Just an incredible talent.
Incredible player I really think he's gonna light up the scoreboard this yr. Him and Simmons will take so much pressure off of Spallina so he can develop at his pace.

Like clockwork. Long pole is an issue next year as it is. Did not bring any transfers there probably on the assumption that guys like Figueras could play out of the gate. Sickening.

This is the list of close defensmen, minus Figueiras:

Jordan Beck
Nick Caccamo
Billy Dwan
Nick Fraterrigo
Caden Kol
Charlie Kuczynski
Jack Witherspoon

Caccamo is obviously the only obvious starter on the list. I give Dwan the other spot based on his high recruiting ranking but after that it's really wide open. I really liked Kuczynski's high school highlight reel - he is a high energy terror who seems like he would be great on-ball. Fraterrigo started last season before being replaced by Caccamo but didn't play much after losing his spot. He looked really shaky against UVA in their first matchup of the season, but of course lots of defensemen do. I don't know much about the other guys, Beck and Witherspoon both have really good size at 6'4 and 6'2 and well over 200 pounds. Beck was brought in by Petro, which most of the other defenders can't say. Kol came in with some recruiting buzz but I don't think has played much.

Another thought is to move one of the LSMs to close. It's a five second clip, but in the video they posted of Thomson scoring a goal, it looked like Sageder was playing close, or at least near goal-line extended (I can't make out who he's guarding). Saam Olexo and Landon Clary would be first in line for the startling LSM roles which might allow Sageder to play down low. Clary has played some close in his career I believe, and there are seven LSMs listed on the roster, which seems like a lot. Also, when Figueiras comes back, it's not awkward to move Sageder back to LSM. Just a thought.

This is the list of close defensmen, minus Figueiras:

Jordan Beck
Nick Caccamo
Billy Dwan
Nick Fraterrigo
Caden Kol
Charlie Kuczynski
Jack Witherspoon

Caccamo is obviously the only obvious starter on the list. I give Dwan the other spot based on his high recruiting ranking but after that it's really wide open. I really liked Kuczynski's high school highlight reel - he is a high energy terror who seems like he would be great on-ball. Fraterrigo started last season before being replaced by Caccamo but didn't play much after losing his spot. He looked really shaky against UVA in their first matchup of the season, but of course lots of defensemen do. I don't know much about the other guys, Beck and Witherspoon both have really good size at 6'4 and 6'2 and well over 200 pounds. Beck was brought in by Petro, which most of the other defenders can't say. Kol came in with some recruiting buzz but I don't think has played much.

Another thought is to move one of the LSMs to close. It's a five second clip, but in the video they posted of Thomson scoring a goal, it looked like Sageder was playing close, or at least near goal-line extended (I can't make out who he's guarding). Saam Olexo and Landon Clary would be first in line for the startling LSM roles which might allow Sageder to play down low. Clary has played some close in his career I believe, and there are seven LSMs listed on the roster, which seems like a lot. Also, when Figueiras comes back, it's not awkward to move Sageder back to LSM. Just a thought.
Clip from the scrimmage aside, I think it is more likely a guy like Sageder or Drago start getting minutes at LSM while a guy like Clary or maybe Olexo gets moved down to close. They have more experience with the defensive system and game situations. We need a guy who can guard a teams ankle breaking attack with Kennedy gone. It was going to be Figueras, but now maybe a guy with elite footspeed like Clary gets a shot at that spot. Olexo is also a big left handed guy that we have a need for at close. Would be a shame to lose their transition abilities but important to have the experience at close. If Dwan starts I think he would cover a teams more off ball oriented player. As good as he is projected to be he may have a tougher time adjusting to covering D1 speed demons out of the gate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom