2022 Fall Ball | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

"He didn’t name names and he didn’t say anything different from what everyone was already thinking."

Not true at all. He did not need to name the players because it was his starters - well defined.

We were all expecting him to defend his players and take the responsibility. Instead, he blamed his players and took no responsibility - especially during the epic 6 straight losses to end 2022.

That would be a problem. But he’s handled MLL, NLL, national team, and Upper D-1 womens. This team had a significant talent deficit to its primary competitors. I’ll give him the couple years he asked for.
And we are in year 2.

And we are in year 2.
Yup. This year and next year. I hope to see improved play and results. If the program doesn’t advance significantly, I’ll expect to see someone else at the helm in 2025 or more realistically 2026.

That would be a problem. But he’s handled MLL, NLL, national team, and Upper D-1 womens. This team had a significant talent deficit to its primary competitors. I’ll give him the couple years he asked for.
Fair enough. You know, when you meet someone for the first time, you make some impressions. Not sure G Gait is suited for this next journey. I hope I'm wrong for SU Lacrosse Legacy. If he fails, it will be magnitudes more difficult for the next regime to rebuild.

And btw. Do you think G Gait Bleeds Orange Lacrosse ?

I don't think it's even a trickle.

Hate seeing stuff like this. Seems like a good kid too, wore #11 in the Dome in honor of Zulberti when the Terps and Orange faced off last year. Hope he gets better soon.

Sounds like the Terps are going with Murphy, Maltz and Kelly at attack. Not a lot of dodging prowess with those three but with the way Maryland moves the ball it might now matter. I imagine most of the offense will initiate out of the midfield and flow down to the attack.
z was really high on him way before he got to maryland. thought he could be a stud.

Fair enough. You know, when you meet someone for the first time, you make some impressions. Not sure G Gait is suited for this next journey. I hope I'm wrong for SU Lacrosse Legacy. If he fails, it will be magnitudes more difficult for the next regime to rebuild.

And btw. Do you think G Gait Bleeds Orange Lacrosse ?

I don't think it's even a trickle.
Right up there for most bizarre lax post ever.

Hate seeing stuff like this. Seems like a good kid too, wore #11 in the Dome in honor of Zulberti when the Terps and Orange faced off last year. Hope he gets better soon.

Sounds like the Terps are going with Murphy, Maltz and Kelly at attack. Not a lot of dodging prowess with those three but with the way Maryland moves the ball it might now matter. I imagine most of the offense will initiate out of the midfield and flow down to the attack.
i've long since stopped questioning john tillman on anything. that said, he'd be nuts at this point not to move kyle long to attack, or at least give him the connor kelly treatment where he is a "midfielder" but plays every offensive possession. he's their most dynamic player, better dodger and passer than all three of those guys

And we are in year 2.
"He didn’t name names and he didn’t say anything different from what everyone was already thinking."

Not true at all. He did not need to name the players because it was his starters - well defined.

We were all expecting him to defend his players and take the responsibility. Instead, he blamed his players and took no responsibility - especially during the epic 6 straight losses to end 2022.
I agree with many comments over the past few days. I don't like Gait's choice of words about last year's team which he repeated over and over last year and again now in preseason. It is disrespectful to the players and has the smell of excusing himself for the struggles of last year.

At this point, we will start to see just how good this coaching staff can be when the 2023 season is finished. If the incoming talent is utilized well and shows real development over the season, then I will be more positive. 2024 should be the true test if the building blocks in 2023 are strong. We can't expect the highly talented freshman class to become dominant right away but there should be clear signs that the coaches' systems are on the right track.

Good coaches make good players. Good players make good coaches. Doesn’t look like the former worked well last year ,hope the latter works this season.

When Inside Lacrosse actually decides to cover lacrosse events, they do a pretty good job. Write ups of UNC-Harvard and Maryland-Cornell this weekend.

For UNC, it sounds like they are dealing with a ton of injuries. Egan, Tillman and McGovern (Bryant transfer) started at attack. Sounds like their potenial first line midfield were all out with injuries, including Dom Petro. Foy says Egan had six goals in the scrimmage and put on a decent amount of weight this offseason. Foy says he reminds him of Will Yeatman in terms of size, which is scary to think about.

Sounds like Maryland will be incredibly stingy on defense this year. They were without Weirman at the X and still only allowed five goals to the Big Red. Sounds like Colin Burlace is the third starter on defense next to Bret Makar and Ajax Zappitello.

Lastly, what is with teams switching jersey numbers for scrimmages? Is lacrosse the only sport that does this? Both UNC and Maryland apparently did it this weekend. Amature hour in my mind. What purpose does it serve? Is it the players who push for this or the coaches? Drives me nuts.

When Inside Lacrosse actually decides to cover lacrosse events, they do a pretty good job. Write ups of UNC-Harvard and Maryland-Cornell this weekend.

For UNC, it sounds like they are dealing with a ton of injuries. Egan, Tillman and McGovern (Bryant transfer) started at attack. Sounds like their potenial first line midfield were all out with injuries, including Dom Petro. Foy says Egan had six goals in the scrimmage and put on a decent amount of weight this offseason. Foy says he reminds him of Will Yeatman in terms of size, which is scary to think about.

Sounds like Maryland will be incredibly stingy on defense this year. They were without Weirman at the X and still only allowed five goals to the Big Red. Sounds like Colin Burlace is the third starter on defense next to Bret Makar and Ajax Zappitello.

Lastly, what is with teams switching jersey numbers for scrimmages? Is lacrosse the only sport that does this? Both UNC and Maryland apparently did it this weekend. Amature hour in my mind. What purpose does it serve? Is it the players who push for this or the coaches? Drives me nuts.
Never thought the big red had much high end offensive firepower after Kirst, and they were without JJ Lombardi, Michael Long, and Aidan Blake who will all be starters next year barring injury, along with them having to replace Piatelli. I think the MD defense will take a step back due to losing all their SSDMs, which were a big part of their success last year. Not a huge step back but it is hard to replace an entire short stick unit.

Albladian on Cornell and McGovern on UNC both Bryant transfers. Very good players so curious to see how they do this yr. A lot of talented players transferred to top programs from the NEC. Was a very underrated conference.

Right up there for most bizarre lax post ever.

Yeah, I mean the guy spent 19 years and counting with SU lax.

As far as last season goes for Gait and the program it wasn't about grinding out a couple of extra wins - although it would've been nice. It's about a culture change and bringing in elite talent to get back to Final Fours.

Nothing released about the Alumni Game this weekend. Are we sure its still happening? Usually they promote it with an alumni roster, but I haven't seen anything. Had heard it was scheduled for the 16th of October (this Sunday).

Nothing released about the Alumni Game this weekend. Are we sure its still happening? Usually they promote it with an alumni roster, but I haven't seen anything. Had heard it was scheduled for the 16th of October (this Sunday).
Too busy promoting the SU vs NC State football game for Saturday.

1. We had a Media Day yesterday, and we’re just finding out about it now?

2. Axe is the new beat writer?

2. Axe is the new beat writer?
cute-sad.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors