2022 Mets thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Whoa, Taijuan Walker sure doesn't have it tonight! Looks like we'll have our second two game losing streak of the year. The first one involved a series opener in Philly, too and we won the next two. That's what we have to do now.

Whoa, Taijuan Walker sure doesn't have it tonight! Looks like we'll have our second two game losing streak of the year. The first one involved a series opener in Philly, too and we won the next two. That's what we have to do now.
Yup Lindors defense sure didn't help.

Wow glad I checked back in after completely giving up on the game to watch Ozark. What a win

I was watching.. the wife decided to have a hr long discussion on her work stuff up stairs.. i came back down stairs to see the last out... lucky i had it on the dvr to see what happened.

Wow glad I checked back in after completely giving up on the game to watch Ozark. What a win

I was watching Law and Order but checked in during commercials. Then I decided I might as well watch the 9th inning.

I remember a lot of games that defined or turned season around that involved big comebacks. Big early leads have always made me nervous, but I've always regarded big early deficits as opportunities. Most of the time nothing good comes of them. But every once in a while...

A huge key was that on this night the bullpen, (Shreve, Medina and Diaz), shut the door at 7.

Last edited:
I was watching.. the wife decided to have a hr long discussion on her work stuff up stairs.. i came back down stairs to see the last out... lucky i had it on the dvr to see what happened.

How long as it been that the Mets scored that many runs in the 9th inning to win a game? All you need to know is that it was against the Expos and Bernard Gilkey got the game-winning hit.

Last edited:
the interview said something like 0-700 but not sure if that was the whole league.. its been 25 years since the mets trailed by 6 in the ninth and won

but they scored 5 in the ninth vs STL a few games ago to win

How long as it been that the Mets scored that many runs in the 9th inning to win a game? All you need to know is that it was against the Expos and Bernard Gilkey got the game-winning hit.

Remember that? I remember that, watched it live. That was a fun game.

I'm just learning about last night now. Which is fun, I guess, in its own way.

BTW, if only because everyone needs more Fran Healey on a Friday morning, here's the Gilkey walk-off from '97:

Remember that? I remember that, watched it live. That was a fun game.

I'm just learning about last night now. Which is fun, I guess, in its own way.

The 9th inning was 6 runs to tie after the Mets had been down 0-6. Carl Everett hit the game-tying home run and the Gilkey hit a three-run shot in the 11th.

Another remarkable game from what is already a memorable team.

Unsung hero award goes to Shreve, Medina and Diaz for holding the Phillies scoreless from the 5th to the end of the game.

Thought Walker threw better than the box score indicates. His stuff looked quite good. But he got behind a lot and made some bad pitches in key moments. The Phils are a good offensive team. You get behind on them and they are going to put up some runs. Especially in that ballpark. Taijuan probably shouldn't have gone out for the 4th inning but I know Buck wanted to get him work and didn't want to burn the bullpen all up for what was likely a lost game.

Maybe Medina will emerge as a reliable guy to get us to the 7th 8th and 9th innings.

Phillies have to be crushed. They get Scherzer tonight. Ouch.

Anyone see what Ohtani did last night? He pitched for the Angels and batted cleanup. First time a starting pitcher has hit in one of the first four spots in the batting order in Fenway Park since...you guessed it. Babe Ruth.

Also awesome.

Another remarkable game from what is already a memorable team.

Unsung hero award goes to Shreve, Medina and Diaz for holding the Phillies scoreless from the 5th to the end of the game.

Thought Walker threw better than the box score indicates. His stuff looked quite good. But he got behind a lot and made some bad pitches in key moments. The Phils are a good offensive team. You get behind on them and they are going to put up some runs. Especially in that ballpark. Taijuan probably shouldn't have gone out for the 4th inning but I know Buck wanted to get him work and didn't want to burn the bullpen all up for what was likely a lost game.

Maybe Medina will emerge as a reliable guy to get us to the 7th 8th and 9th innings.

Phillies have to be crushed. They get Scherzer tonight. Ouch.

Anyone see what Ohtani did last night? He pitched for the Angels and batted cleanup. First time a starting pitcher has hit in one of the first four spots in the batting order in Fenway Park since...you guessed it. Babe Ruth.

Also awesome.

They said that Walker couldn't control his curve so they were sitting on the fast ball.

They said that Walker couldn't control his curve so they were sitting on the fast ball.
True. He also struggled getting his fastball over and hung some off season stuff.

Had good movement on his fastball but he got hurt grooving it down the middle down 2-0, 3-1 in the count.

I think he will be okay if he cleans up his command. Velocity was good.

Last night, as things evolved in the 9th, I recalled another game in Philadelphia from (gulp!) 32 years ago when this almost happened to us:

The Phillies, down 3-10, opened with 7 consecutive seeing eye ground balls. Five were right up the middle. I recall one that went between the pitcher, who lunged full extension to his left and the second basemen lunged to his right, full extension and it went between them, which I didn't think was physically possible. They finally got a double play, on which the 9th run scored and the tying run went to third. The game then ended on a line-out to the shortstop!

Then there was this awful night, three years ago, when the Syracuse Mets were in a playoff to see who got into the playoffs and had a 13-6 lead going into the bottom of the 8th against Scranton-WB:

Simultaneously, the parent Mets had a 10-4 lead over the Nationals going into the bottom of the 9th at Washington:

I had the Mets game on the TV and the Smets game on the radio. It was like having an appendectomy and a root canal at the same time, with no anesthesia.

Last edited:
Funny.
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 9.58.04 AM.png

The Mets and the brewers are both 19-9. The Mets double header, (product of two rainouts), begins at 12:35. The Brewers game begins an hour later.

Who will be the first to 20?

The Mets and the brewers are both 19-9. The Mets double header, (product of two rainouts), begins at 12:35. The Brewers game begins an hour later.

Who will be the first to 20?
The Yankees can also get to 20 if they sweep their double header today. I say the Brewers get there first and the Mets catch up with Scherzer on the mound later.

The Yankees can also get to 20 if they sweep their double header today. I say the Brewers get there first and the Mets catch up with Scherzer on the mound later.

The Mets game starts an hour before the brewers - and Scherzer is on the mound for the first game, (and not doing well at the moment).

The Mets game starts an hour before the brewers - and Scherzer is on the mound for the first game, (and not doing well at the moment).
My mistake. Still say they lose the first and win the second.

Scherzer has gotten 12 guys out and given up 10 hits. He's got the opposite of a DeGrom record: his team has won the last 17 games he's pitched, even though he hasn't always pitched well in those games. That streak is in jeopardy.