2022 Mets thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Whither shall we wander?

- A winning streak that builds our lead back up?

- A slump that drops us down toward .500 and erases our lead?

- Or do we keep winning one and losing one?

If Scherzer needs time out for this latest issue I worry we slump and the division gets lumped together. Carrasco has been a bit less effective of late. We've been talking relievers but hoping we don't have to make a move for a SP.

It's felt like we are staving off a slump the past week or so.

If Scherzer needs time out for this latest issue I worry we slump and the division gets lumped together. Carrasco has been a bit less effective of late. We've been talking relievers but hoping we don't have to make a move for a SP.

It's felt like we are staving off a slump the past week or so.

The veteran pitcher knows how to take care of his instrument:

I forgot that that today's game was a day game and took a nap. I'm starting to watch the replay.

Tell me, do things work out in our favor? :cool:

I forgot that that today's game was a day game and took a nap. I'm starting to watch the replay.

Tell me, do things work out in our favor? :cool:
It was a rollercoaster of emotions type game.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions type game.

I was never worried. I figured we had 'em all the way. ;)

It was another game we'd have lost in prior seasons, but not his year. :)

I was never worried. I figured we had 'em all the way. ;)

It was another game we'd have lost in prior seasons, but not his year. :)
If nothing else, this team has been interesting to watch this season.

Holderman got called up as expected. Let's hope he pitches well. With May and Reid-Foley out, our relief pitching depth has taken a major hit.

Peterson will be the fourth starter behind Bassitt, Carrasco and Walker.

I assume Trevor Williams or Adonis Medina will be the fifth starter for an extended period. Probably Medina. With Reid-Foley on the DL, the only other option might be Lugo and he has been struggling just trying to pitch an inning at a time.

The only other guy I think might be close to being ready is Thomas Szapucki. He is a lefty. Probably the Syracuse Mets's best pitcher not counting Peterson.

Might be called up for a spot start against teams that struggle against lefties a few times.

Mike Montgomery has a lot of MLB experience but has been putrid in Syracuse so far. 0-5 with a 5.52 ERA. He is a big reason the team has been so bad so far this season.

Tylor is likely 10-15 days or so away from coming back.

I think they hope they can get Cahill to be usable as well. he has a bunch of MLB starts

If nothing else, this team has been interesting to watch this season.

Holderman got called up as expected. Let's hope he pitches well. With May and Reid-Foley out, our relief pitching depth has taken a major hit.

Peterson will be the fourth starter behind Bassitt, Carrasco and Walker.

I assume Trevor Williams or Adonis Medina will be the fifth starter for an extended period. Probably Medina. With Reid-Foley on the DL, the only other option might be Lugo and he has been struggling just trying to pitch an inning at a time.

The only other guy I think might be close to being ready is Thomas Szapucki. He is a lefty. Probably the Syracuse Mets's best pitcher not counting Peterson.

Might be called up for a spot start against teams that struggle against lefties a few times.

Mike Montgomery has a lot of MLB experience but has been putrid in Syracuse so far. 0-5 with a 5.52 ERA. He is a big reason the team has been so bad so far this season.

The Manchild show had on an MLB 'expert' who thinks the time might have come to unload Dom Smith or JD Davis for a pitcher. They were talking about Hunter Greene of Cincinnati. If he's good, the Reds will want to get rid of him, based on their track record.

If we can hang on, we'll get two double Cy Young award winners after the All-Star break without having to trade for them.

The Manchild show had on an MLB 'expert' who thinks the time might have come to unload Dom Smith or JD Davis for a pitcher. They were talking about Hunter Greene of Cincinnati. If he's good, the Reds will want to get rid of him, based on their track record.

If we can hang on, we'll get two double Cy Young award winners after the All-Star break without having to trade for them.
Would hate to deal Dom. He is really a regular now, at least against righthanders, at DH or 1B. Yes, he has struggled some but he is very good in the clutch, has played a key role in a number of recent big wins and I hate to see players dealt that are still early in their career.

JD might make a little more sense but we would be dealing him at his lowest value. And I dislike trading a 3B right now given what is happening with our starting 3B. Poor hitting and poor fielding is not a good combination.

Escobar might well turn things around. And we do have other options (mainly McNeil or Guillorme). But I prefer to leave those guys in their current roles.

Would prefer to wait things out for now. It will help greatly if Megill can make a quick return and pitch at a high level. Worried about Walker and his back and shoulder. If we lose him too, we will have to do something.

3b is the one spot the minors seems to have a shot at producing something for the Mets.. JD they dont want to play at 3rd and they have given up at left as well. if JD for a pitcher thing is happening what happens when the 2 big dogs come back cant move them all to the minors.. now if they could find a rlvr that might make sense.

Great job getting game one. Some great defense. 5-1 games at Coors aren't common.
Agree, nice win. I believe the Rockies had a really long steak of home games going where they scored at least 2 runs. That streak ended this afternoon. Carlos was good. The defense was even better.

The Mets are 13 games over .500 for the first time all season. It would be great to get to 14 over today.

Even if we only go .500 the rest of the season, that would get us to 88 wins. That probably would make the playoffs.

Agree, nice win. I believe the Rockies had a really long steak of home games going where they scored at least 2 runs. That streak ended this afternoon. Carlos was good. The defense was even better.

The Mets are 13 games over .500 for the first time all season. It would be great to get to 14 over today.

Even if we only go .500 the rest of the season, that would get us to 88 wins. That probably would make the playoffs.

Agreed. If this team can keep playing well and weather the injury bug they can win 100 games. The defense besides third base( which was much better today) has been really solid. Starting pitching when healthy very solid ( our biggest unknown now).

Hitting though has been so fundamentally sound and clutch. Pete has had so many good at bats going opposite field. Nimmo, Canha and McNeil all have been both clutch and racking up pitch counts. Just overall really impressive.

The second game didn't go as well but that's what three game winnings streaks are for. We still have our 7-game lead.

If you would have told me we scored 5, 3 and 2 and won 2 out of 3 at Coors, especially given the rotation being in Flux I'm calling BS.

Not thrilled they stranded way too many runners but will take that pitching and defensive performance at Coors anytime.

8 game lead gives us the biggest edge of any division leader as well. Now comes a major grinder though. At SF, phi at home, Nats at home, and then @ LAD, SD, LAA then Milwaukee at home. That's a rough stretch.

So Saturday, the Mets held the Rockies to 1 run. That broke a streak of 84 games in which Colorado had scored at least 2 runs at home.

Sunday, Walker and company shut them out. That broke a run of 116 games where the Rockies had scored at least 1 run at home.

That was the Mets' seventh shutout of the season. Right about 25 percent of the way through the year. Last year, with DeGrom around for most of the year, the Mets had 8 shutouts.

With all the injuries, some extraordinary things are happening.

Last edited:
So Saturday, the Mets held the Rockies to 1 run. That broke a streak of 84 games in which Colorado had scored at least 2 runs at home.

Sunday, Walker and company shut them out. That broke a run of 116 games where the Rockies had scored at least 1 run at home.

That was the Mets' seventh shutout of the season. Right about 25 percent of the way through the year. Last year, with DeGrom around for most of the year, the Mets had 8 shutouts.

With all the injuries, some extraordinary things are happening.

Yep. Top 5 in fielding making a big difference and that is with having played 26 of their 43 games against the top 5 hitting teams in the league. Mind you not top 5 in run producing ( to which we have impacted directly) but still.

The counter to that is the pitching rankings of most everyone we have played is bottom half and bottom third so we will learn a lot playing SD and both LA teams.

Yep. Top 5 in fielding making a big difference and that is with having played 26 of their 43 games against the top 5 hitting teams in the league. Mind you not top 5 in run producing ( to which we have impacted directly) but still.

The counter to that is the pitching rankings of most everyone we have played is bottom half and bottom third so we will learn a lot playing SD and both LA teams.

Fielding is a hugely under-rated thing in baseball. It relates to fundamentals and opportunism, things that can also improve your offense beyond their normal talent level.