2022 Mets thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Fielding is a hugely under-rated thing in baseball. It relates to fundamentals and opportunism, things that can also improve your offense beyond their normal talent level.

Absolutely just look through what seems like almost every win this year and you will find a great defensive play and it's happening all over the field.

Absolutely just look through what seems like almost every win this year and you will find a great defensive play and it's happening all over the field.
Agree. There are more great defensive plays being made. Perhaps as importantly, there are less bad plays being made. Less errors, less throwing to the wrong person, less drops and bad throws.

I haven’t looked at numbers but on the infield, the changes seem relatively minor but there seems to be improvement pretty much across the board.

Escobar hasn’t been great at 3B. Maybe average, maybe slightly above average. But a big step better than JD Davis at 3rd.

Lindor appears to be stepped up quite a bit defensively this year. Maybe a bit more range. His arm appears to be more accurate and his fundamentals are better.

At second, Cano had little range and was bad but he was jettisoned pretty quickly. McNeil has been solid. Good range, accurate arm, and way better chemistry with Lindor than last year, when they seemed to blame each other for bad plays on balls hit between them too often.

Gillorme always seems good whenever he plays. Last year and this year.

Pete Alonso seems to be slowly improving at 1B. Not as many ill advised attempts to field ground balls where he can’t make a play if he gets it. He appears to be getting better scooping low throws. And he appears to be throwing it a little better. He is far from a golf glover but I think he is getting better.

Seems like our catches have been a little better. McCann seems to be making less passed balls. Both catchers have been throwing it well on steal attempts. But no amazing improvements here either. Modest improvements.
I
The place where I think we have seen vast improvement is with the outfield defense. Canha has been good. Pretty solid. Nimrno has been good too. Not a lot of spectacular catches but he makes the plays and is getting the ball to the relay infielders well. Marte had a couple of mistakes early when he was first playing right field but seems to have settled in and has been improessve. Lots of range and it looks like he has a really good arm. Though it has rarely been tested. McNeil just might be our best outfielder in LF. And Jankowsli has range and a good arm and can play all 3 outfield positions.

Last year we played Dom Smith in LF a ton. He was okay but had limited range. JD was always an adventure in LF. Conforto was okay in RF but got run on a lot. We are a lot better now.

Giants may want to talk to their hecklers. Went hard after McNeil Canha and Davis... and lol.

Love the offensive explosions when they do happen.

Pete: .288/.356/.524 11hr 40 rbi through 44 games.

Mets 14 games over .500 for the first time since 2015, when we wound up in the WS.

Up 8 on the Phillies, 9 on the Braves and Marlins. Braves were never down 9 last year.

Pete: .288/.356/.524 11hr 40 rbi through 44 games.

Mets 14 games over .500 for the first time since 2015, when we wound up in the WS.

Up 8 on the Phillies, 9 on the Braves and Marlins. Braves were never down 9 last year.

Don't want to jinx but good time to get the Giants again as their pitching is awful right now.

Pete has been stellar. Starting to remind me a lot of Jim Thome who did a great job with both his power and just being an all around good hitter around the same time frame in his career where Pete is now.

Don't want to jinx but good time to get the Giants again as their pitching is awful right now.

Pete has been stellar. Starting to remind me a lot of Jim Thome who did a great job with both his power and just being an all around good hitter around the same time frame in his career where Pete is now.
I stayed up for a little bit to watch the game. Had to get up early for work so once Crawford hit the 2 run homer, I turned the tv off and went to sleep.

Was more than a little surprised when I checked the score when I woke up. The Mets outscored the Giants 13-1 after I went to bed. This just doesn't happen. We have nightmare meltdowns on the West Coast. Something very odd is going on.

Agree we have been fortunate to play some teams when they were struggling. The Giants are another example. Webb is really good and will be tough to beat. Bassitt gets a chance to pitch close to where he played most of his MLB career. I am sure he was played many games in SF as part of the cross town rivalry the As have with the Giants.

If they want to win the series, it would be good to win today. Thomas Szapucki has been pitching well for Syracuse but he hasn't pitched more than 5 innings in any game this season. We will be fortunate to get a good outing out of him. The Giants struggled with a lefty last night. Hope it happens again.

I stayed up for a little bit to watch the game. Had to get up early for work so once Crawford hit the 2 run homer, I turned the tv off and went to sleep.

Was more than a little surprised when I checked the score when I woke up. The Mets outscored the Giants 13-1 after I went to bed. This just doesn't happen. We have nightmare meltdowns on the West Coast. Something very odd is going on.

Agree we have been fortunate to play some teams when they were struggling. The Giants are another example. Webb is really good and will be tough to beat. Bassitt gets a chance to pitch close to where he played most of his MLB career. I am sure he was played many games in SF as part of the cross town rivalry the As have with the Giants.

If they want to win the series, it would be good to win today. Thomas Szapucki has been pitching well for Syracuse but he hasn't pitched more than 5 innings in any game this season. We will be fortunate to get a good outing out of him. The Giants struggled with a lefty last night. Hope it happens again.

Yeah at some point the bullpen will just have to carry a heavy load over the next couple months. That is always worrisome.

I will say I like Holdermans stuff. He has had quite a few batters off balance with how aggressive he has been. He is a bit intimidating on the mound. Pleasantly surprised so far and will be curious to see how he does as things go forward.

Crazy finish. Really surprised they kept pitching to Pederson. 3rd BS from Diaz this year.

Can't trust diaz at all.

Yeah. I'm not heartbroken over this one. Fun game and at 8-2 we looked toast. Don't like the outing from Drew Smith or Diaz but overall just win today and get another series win in the books.

Yeah. I'm not heartbroken over this one. Fun game and at 8-2 we looked toast. Don't like the outing from Drew Smith or Diaz but overall just win today and get another series win in the books.
I'm really impressed with thee consistency of the bats... team will need it given the injuries to the staff. I still think the bullpen is the biggest weakness on the team.

Crazy finish. Really surprised they kept pitching to Pederson. 3rd BS from Diaz this year.

He's converted 9 of 10 saves until blowing 2 of the last 3.

As a Mariner:
2016 18 of 21 = .857
2017 34 of 39 = .872
2018 57 of 61 = .934
Total: 109 of 121 = .901

As a Met
2019 26 of 33 = .788
2020 6 of 10 = .600
2021 32 of 38 = .842
2022 10 of 13 = .769
Total: 74 of 94 = .787

Not heartbroken considering I invested two innings in the game. But I don't know how anyone can have faith in Diaz he will break our hearts.

Not heartbroken considering I invested two innings in the game. But I don't know how anyone can have faith in Diaz he will break our hearts.

Yeah he hangs way too much over the plate.

So Szapucki... umm yeah still not ready for the big leagues. Gotta bounce back and not make this more than 2 in a row

So Szapucki... umm yeah still not ready for the big leagues. Gotta bounce back and not make this more than 2 in a row

The bullpen did well. But the bulls had left the pen.

Phew! We survived that "Murphy's Law" 6th inning and avoided a 3-game losing streak.

The Phillies' pitcher was named 'Falter'. Shreve was good early but now...wow. Pete for MVP.

I love how we scored after their big inning. You've got answer them.

Here are your Mets' combined-WAR leaders (pitchers and position players) from FanGraphs.

1653733914998.png

Phew! We survived that "Murphy's Law" 6th inning and avoided a 3-game losing streak.

The Phillies' pitcher was named 'Falter'. Shreve was good early but now...wow. Pete for MVP.

I love how we scored after their big inning. You've got answer them.

Last years Mets team would have lost that game.

I've said it before but I really like Holderman. Teams have yet to figure him out and he is just aggressive and intimidating out there. We just need to get a couple more like he and Drew.

I was on the Beer Deck at NBT last Tuesday, watching the game with a friend. Below us was Nick Plumer, who just did this: