2022 Mets thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Not good giving 2 in the first. Love to get out with a tie in the series with the Braves surging.

I think we could beat LA with our full rotation. Their pitching makes it a tougher slate when we have a pretty rag tag group of starters right now.

Not good giving 2 in the first. Love to get out with a tie in the series with the Braves surging.

I think we could beat LA with our full rotation. Their pitching makes it a tougher slate when we have a pretty rag tag group of starters right now.
Good thing we had such a big division lead coming into this series. If the scores hold today, the Braves will have gained three games on us this weekend. Big series against San Diego coming up. Really need to win two out of three. Braves are playing Oakland next so their hot streak may continue.

What a clutch 8th inning wow. Let's hope Diaz doesn't blow it vs the Dodgers money men and we can find a way to walk outta LA with a series tie.

Much needed split! Surprised they pulled this one out after blowing it in the 9th.
This team continues to grind out tough wins. Medina was impressive. The young receivers are doing well. Smith. Holderman, Nogosek and Medina have all looked good recently.

Lindor and Alonso come through in the clutch again and Davis quietly was big too.

Lugo was not good. Not sure we want to pitch him two days in a row. Where was Holderman?

This team continues to grind out tough wins. Medina was impressive. The young receivers are doing well. Smith. Holderman, Nogosek and Medina have all looked good recently.

Lindor and Alonso come through in the clutch again and Davis quietly was big too.

Lugo was not good. Not sure we want to pitch him two days in a row. Where was Holderman?
We desperately need a good setup man.

Friggin Lugo… Mets need bullpen help
wait
thurs the bullpen held the dodgers scoreless

so yesterday the bullpen went 6 innings zero runs
today 4 guys threw up zero and lugo was a pitch away

just how deep do you expect bullpens to be? do you watch other teams?

dodgers bullpen that had blown one save all year
allowed 4 runs yesterday and 4 today.

we only have 3 starters right now.. Peterson was a depth guy and Williams is the long RLVR.. when we get a couple starters back Williams goes to the pen

Just need Lugo to be the Lugo from a couple years ago

Diaz is fine.. Nogosek/Holderman have been great.

Smith has been solid

Ott/Shreve/Jrod have been mix and match. up and down.

there are very few good bull pens

wait
thurs the bullpen held the dodgers scoreless

so yesterday the bullpen went 6 innings zero runs
today 4 guys threw up zero and lugo was a pitch away

just how deep do you expect bullpens to be? do you watch other teams?

dodgers bullpen that had blown one save all year
allowed 4 runs yesterday and 4 today.

we only have 3 starters right now.. Peterson was a depth guy and Williams is the long RLVR.. when we get a couple starters back Williams goes to the pen

Just need Lugo to be the Lugo from a couple years ago

Diaz is fine.. Nogosek/Holderman have been great.

Smith has been solid

Ott/Shreve/Jrod have been mix and match. up and down.

there are very few good bull pens
If this teams going to win in the playoffs we are going to need someone who can get big outs in the 7th and 8th inning.

If this teams going to win in the playoffs we are going to need someone who can get big outs in the 7th and 8th inning.

"Just need Lugo to be the Lugo from a couple years ago" I concurr. And when our Cy Young award winners come back that will free up some long relief guys.

Yep. They are going to burn out the pen with all these extra high stress innings. Mets bet that Lugo could be the set up man for Diaz and I’m not sure that decision is going to hold up.

Yep. They are going to burn out the pen with all these extra high stress innings. Mets bet that Lugo could be the set up man for Diaz and I’m not sure that decision is going to hold up.
I mean it could be smith but I prefer him in the 7th. Ottavino blows. I think we have to get someone elses closer or 8th inning guy.

The pen as a whole has really been pretty good all things considered. I honestly would like to see Holderman get a shot at being the primary setup guy. Hard thrower, has a good presence on the mound and is aggressive. He also has decent movement and is averaging over a strikeout per inning. The Smith Holderman pairing makes for a solid combo based on early returns. As noted Nogosek has looked pretty good too. If the pen can do their job at a 70 to 80 pct clip thar should bode well enough once we have the full rotation back in place.

Ottavino has been better of late and has some value. Medina has had really just one bad inning so far but has been effective otherwise. Be great to have one more guy though if Lugo isn't going to be able to recapture the old Seth.

I think they thought May/Lugo could get it done in the 7-8 slot Now maybe its smith Holderman.

The bigger issue is that the guys who eat innings Degrom/Max are not there right now and when the rest are 4-6 inning guys any given day, that stresses a bullpen.. You want to pitch 3-4 guys from the pen because of situational things not to just eat innings.. We are having to use guys every night since we cant anyone to get thru 7 innings.

Peterson gave up 1 earned run and couldnt get thru 5 because he walked so many.. thats 2 innings of relief that have to be used., those add up day after day. Williams has pitched well but struggles to get thru 5 as well.

Meanwhile, the Braves swept the Rockies and are suddenly 1 game over 500.

They are back to their preening, cocky, over the top histrionics and it is easy to hate them again.

Too bad they have to play other teams too.

Meanwhile, the Braves swept the Rockies and are suddenly 1 game over 500.

They are back to their preening, cocky, over the top histrionics and it is easy to hate them again.

Too bad they have to play other teams too.
The Braves are going to have to work a lot harder than last season if they want to get back in first place again. Still 8.5 games back with no Scherzer or deGrom for the Mets. I don’t like their chances.

Bearing we close out tonight- wow. I'm convinced right now there isn't a deeper lineup 1 through 9 than the Mets right now. Just zero easy outs night in night out. Escobar starting to catch fire too I mean just wow.

Also Carrasco again a great outing.

Great win. If they can be solid this whole road trip even winning a few of the series, you get the aces back and the schedule is friendly down the stretch wow...

Great win. If they can be solid this whole road trip even winning a few of the series, you get the aces back and the schedule is friendly down the stretch wow...
The schedule for the Mets in September is loaded with games against bad teams. Atlanta needs to catch the Mets before then to have a realistic chance to win the division.

September_October.png

I have a lot of respect for the Braves. But they better start winning 80% of their games for a sustained period if they are going to make this close.

Tomas Nido has quietly gotten his batting average up to .261. McCann might have problems winning the starting job back when he returns to action. Nido appears to do a great job calling pitches. No wonder guys like Scherzer and DeGrom like to pitch to him so much.

I added a picture of the Met schedule in September. The Yankees will be tough, the Cards should be good, Milwaukee is probably going to be good and the Braves are always a challenge but there are a lot of games against the Marlins, the Nationals and the Phillies in there. I suspect Boston will be out of the pennant race by then too but you never know with them.

After the series with the Padres, the Mets head to Anaheim. The Angels were terrific for most of the season but suddenly have hit the skids, losing 12 straight. Yikes.

Thor has pitched really well for the Angels. Just lost a game 1-0 last night. I assume he will be starting against the Mets on Saturday. And he will be very fired up to beat his old teammates.

Last edited:
The schedule for the Mets in September is loaded with games against bad teams. Atlanta needs to catch the Mets before then to have a realistic chance to win the division.

September_October.png

I have a lot of respect for the Braves. But they better start winning 80% of their games for a sustained period if they are going to make this close.

Tomas Nido has quietly gotten his batting average up to .261. McCann might have problems winning the starting job back when he returns to action. Nido appears to do a great job calling pitches. No wonder guys like Scherzer and DeGrom like to pitch to him so much.

I added a picture of the Met schedule in September. The Yankees will be tough, the Cards should be good, Milwaukee is probably going to be good and the Braves are always a challenge but there are a lot of games against the Marlins, the Nationals and the Phillies in there. I suspect Boston will be out of the pennant race by then too but you never know with them.

After the series with the Padres, the Mets head to Anaheim. The Angels were terrific for most of the season but suddenly have hit the skids, losing 12 straight. Yikes.

Thor has pitched really well for the Angels. Just lost a game 1-0 last night. I assume he will be starting against the Mets on Saturday. And he will be very fired up to beat his old teammates.

And they him. Stay tuned.