2022 Mets thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

The schedule for the Mets in September is loaded with games against bad teams. Atlanta needs to catch the Mets before then to have a realistic chance to win the division.

September_October.png

I have a lot of respect for the Braves. But they better start winning 80% of their games for a sustained period if they are going to make this close.

Tomas Nido has quietly gotten his batting average up to .261. McCann might have problems winning the starting job back when he returns to action. Nido appears to do a great job calling pitches. No wonder guys like Scherzer and DeGrom like to pitch to him so much.

I added a picture of the Met schedule in September. The Yankees will be tough, the Cards should be good, Milwaukee is probably going to be good and the Braves are always a challenge but there are a lot of games against the Marlins, the Nationals and the Phillies in there. I suspect Boston will be out of the pennant race by then too but you never know with them.

After the series with the Padres, the Mets head to Anaheim. The Angels were terrific for most of the season but suddenly have hit the skids, losing 12 straight. Yikes.

Thor has pitched really well for the Angels. Just lost a game 1-0 last night. I assume he will be starting against the Mets on Saturday. And he will be very fired up to beat his old teammates.
Pretty sure that’s last season’s schedule. This September is much easier than last. A third road trip to California on the schedule. Not sure why they couldn’t play the A’s when they were on the road trip against the Giants. Scheduling is a weird thing.

C074B582-E3E6-4EB2-8166-438759407BC3.jpeg

The schedule for the Mets in September is loaded with games against bad teams. Atlanta needs to catch the Mets before then to have a realistic chance to win the division.

September_October.png

I have a lot of respect for the Braves. But they better start winning 80% of their games for a sustained period if they are going to make this close.

Tomas Nido has quietly gotten his batting average up to .261. McCann might have problems winning the starting job back when he returns to action. Nido appears to do a great job calling pitches. No wonder guys like Scherzer and DeGrom like to pitch to him so much.

I added a picture of the Met schedule in September. The Yankees will be tough, the Cards should be good, Milwaukee is probably going to be good and the Braves are always a challenge but there are a lot of games against the Marlins, the Nationals and the Phillies in there. I suspect Boston will be out of the pennant race by then too but you never know with them.

After the series with the Padres, the Mets head to Anaheim. The Angels were terrific for most of the season but suddenly have hit the skids, losing 12 straight. Yikes.

Thor has pitched really well for the Angels. Just lost a game 1-0 last night. I assume he will be starting against the Mets on Saturday. And he will be very fired up to beat his old teammates.
I think the schedule you posted is incorrect. The Mets already played the Cards in a home and home. I believe the dates listed for the 13th, 14th and 15th of September are against the Cubs (possible Stroman matchup) followed by a 4 game set with the Pirates also at Citi. My source is MLB.com so maybe I'm wrong too.

The schedule consists entirely of major league teams. That means you can't depend on beating them because they are bad. You've got to go out and beat them because you're good.

The schedule consists entirely of major league teams. That means you can't depend on beating them because they are bad. You've got to go out and beat them because you're good.
Absolutely. Just pointing out the second half schedule is much lighter than the first half. If the Mets are playing this well now, they shouldn’t have a problem with a healthy pitching staff. Key word being “shouldn’t.” Would love for them to lock up a playoff spot early and spend most of September breathing easy, as opposed to most Mets seasons.

I think the schedule you posted is incorrect. The Mets already played the Cards in a home and home. I believe the dates listed for the 13th, 14th and 15th of September are against the Cubs (possible Stroman matchup) followed by a 4 game set with the Pirates also at Citi. My source is MLB.com so maybe I'm wrong too.
Correct. I was a little confused because it was harder than I remembered when I checked it a few days ago. But I wanted a nice graphic to show it and Goggle brought up last year.

The September schedule this year looks really promising if you are a Mets fan.

4BDF9CFE-6888-4654-BC1B-F3E828F23F18.png

This is starting to get absurd. I'm not buying the poor control excuse at this point. Going after guys to potentially weaken a team at the top of the standings is despicable.

I realize these were a little less obvious but still.

This is starting to get absurd. I'm not buying the poor control excuse at this point. Going after guys to potentially weaken a team at the top of the standings is despicable.

I realize these were a little less obvious but still.
We need to start retaliating. Enough is enough. As much as I like the Buck puzzled face look I'm tired of seeing it. We are being bullied. Bassit needs to plunk machado tonight.

I think batters should be awarded two bases for a hit by pitch. Of course, steps would need to be taken (reinforced by video review) to dissuade hitters from leaning-in.

I think batters should be awarded two bases for a hit by pitch. Of course, steps would need to be taken (reinforced by video review) to dissuade hitters from leaning-in.
If a batter gets hit in the strike zone, it's a strike. If he gets hit out of the strike zone, first base. If he gets injured on a pitch outside the strike zone, the pitcher is suspended until the batter returns.

If a batter gets hit in the strike zone, it's a strike. If he gets hit out of the strike zone, first base. If he gets injured on a pitch outside the strike zone, the pitcher is suspended until the batter returns.

Perfect. Absent a recent call up who gets "hurt" by a teams ace and needs 6 months

That Padres series is starting the way the Dodgers Series began. :(

That Padres series is starting the way the Dodgers Series began. :(

Yeah downright ugly. In fairness you aren't going to avoid that eventually. Gotta pop back up.

Be nice if the Braves don't go on some stupid 20 game winning streak. On 7 after tonight as will likely be the separation

The bad news is the Mets got out scored 20-2 over two nights. Also, the Braves are on a 7 game win streak. The good news is even with that win streak and the Mets starting 3-4 on this road trip, they still have a 7 game lead over the Braves.

The bad news is the Mets got out scored 20-2 over two nights. Also, the Braves are on a 7 game win streak. The good news is even with that win streak and the Mets starting 3-4 on this road trip, they still have a 7 game lead over the Braves.

It's a good thing margin of victory/defeat doesn't matter in baseball. The Mets lost 13-2 while the Braves were winning by that score and the Phillies won 10-0.

You could say the purpose of having a 10 1/2 game lead is that when you lose a few and the teams behind you get hot, you could still have a chunk of that lead when things turn back your way.

On a positive note, it looks like Pete Alonso was not seriously injured, has no broken bones and there is even a chance that after sitting out last night and today (which is a travel day), he can play tomorrow.

Sterling Marte is also doing better than expected and make be able to avoid getting placed on the IL (MLB did away with the disabled list term a while ago).

Last I heard, Tylor Megill is expected to take a start against the Angels (on Saturday night I think).

Jake is throwing off a mound and Max is making steady progress.

Might have 3 new pitchers in the rotation by this time next month.

It's a good thing margin of victory/defeat doesn't matter in baseball. The Mets lost 13-2 while the Braves were winning by that score and the Phillies won 10-0.

You could say the purpose of having a 10 1/2 game lead is that when you lose a few and the teams behind you get hot, you could still have a chunk of that lead when things turn back your way.
As long as the Mets don’t pull an Angels, I think they are in pretty good shape.

On a positive note, it looks like Pete Alonso was not seriously injured, has no broken bones and there is even a chance that after sitting out last night and today (which is a travel day), he can play tomorrow.

Sterling Marte is also doing better than expected and make be able to avoid getting placed on the IL (MLB did away with the disabled list term a while ago).

Last I heard, Tylor Megill is expected to take a start against the Angels (on Saturday night I think).

Jake is throwing off a mound and Max is making steady progress.

Might have 3 new pitchers in the rotation by this time next month.

It's about that time to get our pitching back. Ultimately you aren't winning 60 plus percent of your games without your two aces forever.

It's about that time to get our pitching back. Ultimately you aren't winning 60 plus percent of your games without your two aces forever.
Agree. Bassitt has been roughed up 2 or 3 times in a row. He might be getting tired or have some kind of physical problem. There are definitely some cracks developing in the dam right now.

We need some Portland cement and need it soon.

Agree. Bassitt has been roughed up 2 or 3 times in a row. He might be getting tired or have some kind of physical problem. There are definitely some cracks developing in the dam right now.

We need some Portland cement and need it soon.

Or...

And don't pull it against the Angels, who have to start winning sometime.
Would you rather the Angels get a win against the Red Sox tonight or come into the series on a 15 game losing streak?

Would you rather the Angels get a win against the Red Sox tonight or come into the series on a 15 game losing streak?

I'd rather the Mets play well enough to beat the Angels regardless. But I don't want them to break their losing streak against us.

Last edited: