2022 Mets thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

As of this moment the Braves have won 8 in a row and are leading 4-0 and the Phillies have won 7 in a row and are leading 6-1.

Time for the Mets to get going again.

As of this moment the Braves have won 8 in a row and are leading 4-0 and the Phillies have won 7 in a row and are leading 6-1.

Time for the Mets to get going again.
I wasn’t expecting one, nonetheless two division rivals to be closing in on 10 game winning streaks at the same time. Mets need to step it up.

Got it done, 7-3. The entire division is on winning streaks, (although a couple of them have just started):

Got it done, 7-3. The entire division is on winning streaks, (although a couple of them have just started):

Yep. Need to get this series win and even maybe a sweep if possible.

Atl hopefully getting their big streak out of the way now vs later in the season. Phi has had a couple 4 game winning streaks and some howler losing streaks. Don't see them sustaining any consistency this year.

Timing could work in our favor between the Angels flailing and the Brewers now struggling too.

On another note the Padres are an interesting team this year. They have had some dominant stretches of games like right now with beating up the Brewers and then us and rolling over Col last night too. They have looked best in the West at times before falling back after every surge this year. Definitely not a squad I want to see in the post season if we have to play there much.

Atl hopefully getting their big streak out of the way now vs later in the season. Phi has had a couple 4 game winning streaks and some howler losing streaks. Don't see them sustaining any consistency this year.

Timing could work in our favor between the Angels flailing and the Brewers now struggling too.

On another note the Padres are an interesting team this year. They have had some dominant stretches of games like right now with beating up the Brewers and then us and rolling over Col last night too. They have looked best in the West at times before falling back after every surge this year. Definitely not a squad I want to see in the post season if we have to play there much.
Agree about the Padres plus they will be getting Tatis Jr back eventually. Look like probably July is the latest update I read.

Profar looked like a star against us and is continuing to do so against the Rockies. I looked at his record and he's not some great new prospect they have:

But MLB tonight pointed out that he'd been a #1 draft choice, so maybe he's getting it together now. Add Tatis and that's a formidable line-up.

And now, before the Mets game starts, they know the Braves have won their 10th in a row, the Phillies their 9th in a row and the Marlins their 5th in a row. :confused:

And now, before the Mets game starts, they know the Braves have won their 10th in a row, the Phillies their 9th in a row and the Marlins their 5th in a row. :confused:
Absolutely ridiculous. After the Pirates, the Braves play the Nationals and Cubs. That schedule does no favors to the Mets so they just have to keep winning and stay in control of the division.

Gosh, Mets fans sure do obsess over the Yankees.

Don't think I've ever even posted once about the Yankees on this board. Was just sharing a tweet I found interesting given the Mets and Yankees own the top records.

Absolutely ridiculous. After the Pirates, the Braves play the Nationals and Cubs. That schedule does no favors to the Mets so they just have to keep winning and stay in control of the division.

Both Trout and Ohtani have a home run and a double and we're down 0-5 in the 6th. I don't mind the 5 as much as I mind the 0.

Update: The Mets fell behind 2-11 but had a four tun rally in the 9th to make it a little more interesting and maybe get a little more momentum for tomorrow. Khalil Lee, who's been with the SMets for a couple of years, hit a three-run homer in the 9th. Pete got #17. the Angels got two from Trout and one from Ohtani and a cycle from Jared Walsh, the second in Mets game this week. Plenty of star power on display.

If we can win tomorrow night, we will get a split on the road trip, which isn't too bad. And the Braves and the Phillies have to lose sometime. They get the day off and Citi Field will look pretty good Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Good lord. Watch Atlanta win something like 20 in a row or something stupid like that. Looking like 11 in a row today.

Good lord. Watch Atlanta win something like 20 in a row or something stupid like that. Looking like 11 in a row today.
Diamondbacks, Rockies, A’s, Pirates, Cubs, Nationals. You play who is on your schedule but man is that schedule a gift. Luckily, next week they have the Giants, Dodgers and Phillies. Hopefully they will cool off a little.

Diamondbacks, Rockies, A’s, Pirates, Cubs, Nationals. You play who is on your schedule but man is that schedule a gift. Luckily, next week they have the Giants, Dodgers and Phillies. Hopefully they will cool off a little.

Yeah and that's what stands out so much with the Mets at 39-22. Schedule has been nothing close to a gift so far.

And our longest winning streak has been 4 games. We haven't been 'hot' yet. We've been grinding it out.

Yep which should hopefully change once both aces are out there.

What a way to end and up-and-down road trip to the always-tough west coast! 4-1 win. Walker great. Diaz unbelievable, blowing the ball by Trout when he was the tying run, (what's with Lugo?), a big homer by Pete for the second straight game. We stay up 5.5 on the white-hot Braves, (they play tomorrow and the Mets don't so it might be 5.0 when we next play a game). The only Mets team to win their 40th game this early was '86.

5-5 road trip. I’ll take it. 7 game home stand against the Brewers and Marlins coming up. Lots of Marlins coming up in the next few weeks. LGM!

That's speculation. But I wonder what moves the Mets might make. I miss Michael Conforto. he's not available but I wish the Mets could get another slugger in the line-up. They've got Pete and a bunch of guys who occasionally might hit a home run. I like the idea of "keeping the train moving" but I also wish we had more than one guy who scares the other team. I like Canha. I like Nimmo. I like Marte. But they have 15 home runs between them after 62 games. Escobar hasn't done much. Lindor's producing runs but his overall numbers are mediocre. Those big numbers he put up in Cleveland are still in Cleveland.

Last edited:
Some random thoughts...

Mark Vientos returned from the IL for the Syracuse Mets and immediately hit his 8th HR. He was dealing with an knee issue that finally forced him to stop playing for a bit.

Dom Smith went 3-4 last night for Syracuse and got an opposite field HR. Maybe he is finally finding himself.

Lugo used to be good for two inning stints but I think as he has aged, he has lost that ability. Really seems to struggle pitching a second inning.

The injury to Holderman left a big void. At this point, Reed, Shreve and Rodriguez are terrifying options to use in close games. There are q couple of big guys who were recently called up to Syracuse who can throw 100 mph but need refinement. Hope that happens fast. It might be time to start using Trevor as a setup guy for pitching in the 7th and 8th innings. He is looking pretty reliable. Let Peterson be the long guy. He is a better fit because he throws left handed and screws up lineups designed to beat the right handed starting staff of the Mets.

Meanwhile, Francisco Alvarez went through a slump in Binghamton. I think he was hurt too. Sat out some games for sure. He is back now and on fire. 12 game hitting streak. 13 HRs. Believe his batting average is up to .275. And pitchers are saying nice things about his ability to catch.

If you follow the Mets closely, they have a history of bringing up top prospects directly from AA (and bypassing AAA completely). It doesn't happen all the time but it happens a lot. Hoping we CNY fans have a chance to watch Alvarez play some games in Syracuse before he becomes a big leaguer. It looks like he is going to be a very special player.

Here’s the remaining schedule before the All Star Break: vs Brewers(3), vs Marlins (4), @ Astros(2), @ Marlins(3), vs Astros(2), vs Rangers(3), @ Reds(3), vs Marlins(4), @ Braves(3), @ Cubs(4). 31 games left and a pretty favorable schedule with the exception of the Braves and Astros. Braves schedule gets tougher after this week. I’m optimistic the Mets can hold onto first by the break and hopefully some of the injured guys return soon.

Here’s the remaining schedule before the All Star Break: vs Brewers(3), vs Marlins (4), @ Astros(2), @ Marlins(3), vs Astros(2), vs Rangers(3), @ Reds(3), vs Marlins(4), @ Braves(3), @ Cubs(4). 31 games left and a pretty favorable schedule with the exception of the Braves and Astros. Braves schedule gets tougher after this week. I’m optimistic the Mets can hold onto first by the break and hopefully some of the injured guys return soon.

The signs are good too.

Loved Lindor dropping Pete a note and then he crushes one. Playing for each other.

Some random thoughts...

Mark Vientos returned from the IL for the Syracuse Mets and immediately hit his 8th HR. He was dealing with an knee issue that finally forced him to stop playing for a bit.

Dom Smith went 3-4 last night for Syracuse and got an opposite field HR. Maybe he is finally finding himself.

Lugo used to be good for two inning stints but I think as he has aged, he has lost that ability. Really seems to struggle pitching a second inning.

The injury to Holderman left a big void. At this point, Reed, Shreve and Rodriguez are terrifying options to use in close games. There are q couple of big guys who were recently called up to Syracuse who can throw 100 mph but need refinement. Hope that happens fast. It might be time to start using Trevor as a setup guy for pitching in the 7th and 8th innings. He is looking pretty reliable. Let Peterson be the long guy. He is a better fit because he throws left handed and screws up lineups designed to beat the right handed starting staff of the Mets.

Meanwhile, Francisco Alvarez went through a slump in Binghamton. I think he was hurt too. Sat out some games for sure. He is back now and on fire. 12 game hitting streak. 13 HRs. Believe his batting average is up to .275. And pitchers are saying nice things about his ability to catch.

If you follow the Mets closely, they have a history of bringing up top prospects directly from AA (and bypassing AAA completely). It doesn't happen all the time but it happens a lot. Hoping we CNY fans have a chance to watch Alvarez play some games in Syracuse before he becomes a big leaguer. It looks like he is going to be a very special player.

I think everybody does the AA to the majors thing. They've been doing it for a while now. AAA is kind of an extended bench with players who have had a shot in majors before, which is not a bad thing for Syracuse. I'm wondering if Scherzer or DeGrom might pitch a rehab game here. That would be fun to watch, (assuming that they are fully ready to return).