2022 Mets thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Great time to get a sweep if we can given Milwaukee has been struggling.

I will say it probably is a good thing the Braves are making a push. Never hurts to be locked in and the defending Champs trying to chase you down can do that.
Big test tonight Burns is an ace.

A big story is coming out now on Chris Bassitt and his struggles working with Nido and Mezeika after McCann went on the IL. His era went from the mid 2 range to over 7 after McCann got hurt. If you watched the games, you could see Bassitt repeatedly shake off signs from the backup catchers, especiallly Nido. He visibly got irritated at times.

Now Bassitt is an unusual pitcher. He has a lot of pitches (I think it is 5) and he uses them all almost equally. So I would imagine catching him is a different experience.

Anyway, it seems every time Chris rejected the pitch called for initially, the pitch he wanted to throw got rocked.

He finally got together to Tomas and they talked it out before this last start and got on the same page.

And he ended up making one of the best starts of his career.

From what I can see, Nido is very good calling pitches and setting up hitters. Almost sure the ERA when he catches is way lower than when Mazeika does. And it is probably lower than when McCann catches too, I think this is a reason why DeGrom and Scherzer prefer pitching to Tomas. Maybe Chris does now too. ;)

Last edited:
Didn’t the Mets win 6 in a row over the Phillies and Nats right before they went on their west coast trip?

Your right. I remembered people noting that was our first winning streak beyond 3 games and I forgot we won a couple after that. I hope that wasn't our big streak of the year.

We've won 14 series, lost 3 and spit 2 so far this year. We need to keep doing that. A Braves/Yankees type hot streak on top of that might clinch things.

Last edited:
A big story is coming out now on Chris Bassett and his struggles working with Nido and Mezeika after McCann went on the IL. His era went from the mid 2 range to over 7 after McCann got hurt. If you watched the games, you could see Bassitt repeatedly shake off signs from the backup catchers, especiallly Nido. He visibly got irritated at times.

Now Bassitt is an unusual pitcher. He has a lot of pitches (I think it is 5) and he uses them all almost equally. So I would imagine catching him is a different experience.

Anyway, it seems every time Chris rejected the pitch called for initially, the pitch he wanted to throw got rocked.

He finally got together to Tomas and they talked it out before this last start and got on the same page.

And he ended up making one of the best starts of his career.

From what I can see, Nido is very good calling pitches and setting up hitters. Almost sure the ERA when he catches is way lower than when Mazeika does. And it is probably lower than when McCann catches too, I think this is a reason why DeGrom and Scherzer prefer pitching to Tomas. Maybe Chris does now too. ;)

There's a lot the fans never see. If you compare the runs given up when Nido catches vs. McCann or Mezeika, (or, in the future, maybe even Alvarez) to the runs those guys produce as batters, what will help the Mets more.

Rough start tonight. It is frustrating they can't put 6 or 7 w together. Braves looking like it will be 14 in a row tonight good lord

In the Braves 14 game winning streak, they have outscored their opposition 101-41. That's 7-3, an average of 4 runs a game! :oops::confused::(

Big game tonight. Mets can do something they haven’t done in over two weeks - increase their lead on the Braves! Braves are off today. 4.5 game lead is much preferred over 3.5.

Up 4 1/2 but players falling like flies.

Megill didn't look that great before hurting. We need our aces back so we can run them with Bass and Carrasco. Put Peterson or Williams at the tail end. Also Shreve isn't cutting it. We need two good relievers at before the deadline.

In other news Alvarez just crushed another homer..

This Braves run is fascinating i must say and now they run into the Cubbies and their 10 game losing streak lol. Can't slip up vs the Marlins here.

I said earlier this 13 game stretch the Mets just finished would tell us a lot about this team. They finished 7-6 in that span which is pretty good considering the injuries, the competition and the never ending west coast trip.

I don’t think anyone could have seen the Braves going on a 14 game win streak. Had they won 8 or 9 out of the 14, the Mets would still have a 9 or 10 game lead. Doubt that they will go on another run like this so the Mets just need to avoid a long losing streak and the division will be in play for them til the end of the season.

11 games now against the Marlins and Astros. Would be nice to split the four games with the Astros and go 5-2 against the Marlins although 4-3 might be more realistic against divisional opponents. Braves play the Dodgers, Giants and Phillies starting next week. Time to get some of these games back! Let’s go Mets!

This Braves run is fascinating i must say and now they run into the Cubbies and their 10 game losing streak lol. Can't slip up vs the Marlins here.

We'd better win the first two.

14 game winning streak loses to 10 game losing streak lol
That's the annoying part as a Braves fan. I'd rather it happen against a good team. But that's what happens over 162 games- sometimes you lose to bad teams. I was pretty sure the Braves weren't going to finish 135-27

That's the annoying part as a Braves fan. I'd rather it happen against a good team. But that's what happens over 162 games- sometimes you lose to bad teams. I was pretty sure the Braves weren't going to finish 135-27

Plus it's always kind like gravy watching your team the year after winning it all. Makes those sting a little less...

Carrasco survives his usual sketchy first inning and Lindor finally does something again. Good start.