2022 Mets thread | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

:(

I'll still enjoy the game, wondering what it would be like with Max on the mound.

Could he have a third rehab start?
It is certainly possible. The Mets have been okay without him and I think they are going to be conservative as long as the replacement starters are doing okay. I wonder if Carrasco’s back injury prevents him from making a few starts if this might accelerate Max’s return?

They gave Max a few extra days (a whole week) to recover from rehab start # 1. Let’s see how he does this time.

Peterson was great today, getting 21 outs and giving up 4 hits, striking out 8 with no walks. He gave up two runs and didn't get the decision as the Mets lost.

I continue to believe that we need to re-think pitching statistics and eliminate won-lost records as almost nobody completes game anymore. Any pitching achievement or failure is a team effort. Just keep track of batters faced, hits and walks and earned runs. Cy Young faced 29,565 batters, gave up 7,092 hits, 1,217 runs and 2,147 earned runs. His on base percentage is .281. His earned run percentage is .258. Tom Seaver: 19,369 batters, 3,971 hits, 1,390 walks and 1,521 earned runs: .277 on base and .284 earned runs. Jake DeGrom: 4,978 batters, 981 hits, 295 walks, 350 earned runs: .256 on based .274 earned runs. David Peterson, (before today: 687, 139+75/76 = .311obp .355erp

He'd given up one run in his last 19 starts:

The one game this year he was really bombed, he was pitching for the 3rd day in a row.

Buck usually knows better than to do that.

Travel day today then the Astros come to Citi Field for another weird 2 game series.

Carlos Carrasco is scheduled to pitch Tuesday. Right now, the Mets starting pitcher for Wednesday is TBD, but it is Tijuan Walker's turn in the rotation.

There is another scheduled day off Thursday and then the Rangers come to town for a 3 game series. I am assuming it will be Bassitt, Peterson and Carrasco for those 3 games.

The 2 off days (and the one we just had) allow the Mets to get away with using 4 starters for quite a while.

Maybe Max returns to the rotation against the Reds on Monday, with Walker and Bassitt pitching on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Unless we have another injury, it looks like Trevor Williams is not going to be needed to start for a while. Jake might join the rotation before the All Star break, Lucchesi could also be available around then and Megill could be back in ready around the All Star break.

There is talk of making Tylor a relief pitcher when he comes back, and it will probably happen if Max and/or Jake can stick in the rotation (hopefully both). Holderman is back pitching with the Syracuse Mets and just looked terrific for them. Add Lucchesi and Megill to the bullpen, along with Peterson, and in a few weeks, the Mets could be flush with pitching.

Let's hope everyone stays healthy. Or at least most of them!

After the Astros series, the “soft” part of the schedule begins. Other than a three game series against the Braves, the Mets have the Rangers, Reds, Marlins and Cubs before the break. While you can lose on any given day, this is a favorable schedule to hopefully ease some of the injured pitchers back into.

After the Astros series, the “soft” part of the schedule begins. Other than a three game series against the Braves, the Mets have the Rangers, Reds, Marlins and Cubs before the break. While you can lose on any given day, this is a favorable schedule to hopefully ease some of the injured pitchers back into.
Phillies just lost Bryce Harper for an indefinite amount of time (broken thumb).
There are rumors the Braves are about to place Ronald Acuna on the DL as well (foul ball off foot).

Not sure the Phils are going to finish much above .500. I do expect the Braves to win around 100 games. It could well be that these teams end up the two best in the NL.

The Mets need to stay healthy to have a chance to stay in front of them.

Phillies just lost Bryce Harper for an indefinite amount of time (broken thumb).
There are rumors the Braves are about to place Ronald Acuna on the DL as well (foul ball off foot).

Not sure the Phils are going to finish much above .500. I do expect the Braves to win around 100 games. It could well be that these teams end up the two best in the NL.

The Mets need to stay healthy to have a chance to stay in front of them.

I've bemoaned the death of pennant races for years, but the new playoff format adds some juice to them: if you win your division and have one of the top two records for division winners, you get a bye and don't have to play in a three-game first round series.

Unfortunately, it virtually guarantees November baseball.

The one game this year he was really bombed, he was pitching for the 3rd day in a row.

Buck usually knows better than to do that.

Travel day today then the Astros come to Citi Field for another weird 2 game series.

Carlos Carrasco is scheduled to pitch Tuesday. Right now, the Mets starting pitcher for Wednesday is TBD, but it is Tijuan Walker's turn in the rotation.

There is another scheduled day off Thursday and then the Rangers come to town for a 3 game series. I am assuming it will be Bassitt, Peterson and Carrasco for those 3 games.

The 2 off days (and the one we just had) allow the Mets to get away with using 4 starters for quite a while.

Maybe Max returns to the rotation against the Reds on Monday, with Walker and Bassitt pitching on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Unless we have another injury, it looks like Trevor Williams is not going to be needed to start for a while. Jake might join the rotation before the All Star break, Lucchesi could also be available around then and Megill could be back in ready around the All Star break.

There is talk of making Tylor a relief pitcher when he comes back, and it will probably happen if Max and/or Jake can stick in the rotation (hopefully both). Holderman is back pitching with the Syracuse Mets and just looked terrific for them. Add Lucchesi and Megill to the bullpen, along with Peterson, and in a few weeks, the Mets could be flush with pitching.

Let's hope everyone stays healthy. Or at least most of them!

I just hope that Max and Jake don't immediately reinjure themselves upon their return.

It is certainly possible. The Mets have been okay without him and I think they are going to be conservative as long as the replacement starters are doing okay. I wonder if Carrasco’s back injury prevents him from making a few starts if this might accelerate Max’s return?

They gave Max a few extra days (a whole week) to recover from rehab start # 1. Let’s see how he does this time.

Great evening at the ballpark. perfect weather. Exciting game, walk-off win. Nice fireworks afterwards. I even spotted Max. He was in the stands with his "Scherzer" jersey. He seems to have put on a lot of weight... :cool:

You’ve got to be kidding me. Another two out ninth inning homer given up by the Mets. Was a scoreless game til then.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Another two out ninth inning homer given up by the Mets. Was a scoreless game til then.
Castro came into the game hitting .104 with 0 HRs in 77 at bats.

Even no talent bums can hit a hanging slider,,,,,

Castro came into the game hitting .104 with 0 HRs in 77 at bats.

Even no talent bums can hit a hanging slider,,,,,
Mets got absolutely rocked in these four games against the Astros. First three game losing streak of the season. With the Braves playing tonight and tomorrow(Mets are off), lead could be down to 2 1/2 going into the weekend series.

The positive is that I feel confident that the Astros and Yankees are in a different stratosphere than any other team in baseball. With a (hopefully) healthy Scherzer and deGrom, the Mets can compete with any of these NL teams. Not so confident about their division chances at the moment but still a lot of season left.

The good news is that if we play the Disastroes again, it will be in the World Series.

That train we had 'kept moving' looks like the one in Missouri.

The Mets scored 2 runs in the 3rd inning of the last game of the Miami series. Since then, they've scored 1 run in 27 innings as of my hitting this enter button, (after the third inning vs. the Rangers).

Got to get the train moving again.

The Mets scored 2 runs in the 3rd inning of the last game of the Miami series. Since then, they've scored 1 run in 27 innings as of my hitting this enter button, (after the third inning vs. the Rangers).

Yeah really not liking what I've seen of late. To be fair Houston is playing the best baseball of anyone right now beating on both us and the Yanks. Gotta get back on track and not a great start tonight

I, of course knew that if I posted this, Escobar would hit a three-run homer in the 4th inning and the Mets would win 4-3. I'm wondering what else I could cause to happen. :rolleyes:

I, of course knew that if I posted this, Escobar would hit a three-run homer in the 4th inning and the Mets would win 4-3. I'm wondering what else I could cause to happen. :rolleyes:
Big hit but this hitting with risp problem is rearing its ugly head again.

the good news is the injuries and lack of hitting is still leading to almost .500 play and the 3rd best NL record in June.. if Atlanta could play .750 the last 80 games the mets could play crazy .700 ball and still not win this thing.. odds are ATL will hit a dry spell here at some point

ATL cashed in on a run of pretty avg to bad teams 4-3 vs SF/LA

col/pitt/oak/wash/cubs/now cinci
While mets were playing LA/SD/Milw/STL/Houston