2022 Mets thread | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

There was a controversial play in the game yesterday. Joey Votto was up and the Reds were in the midst of their one rally, and he was desperate to get on.

So it appears he moved his arm into the path of a pitch to get on base.

The home plate umpire of course blew the call and told Buck he was going to get hit with it anyway.

This is one of those rules that need to be enforced. Even if it sometimes hurts the Mets, who get hit by pitches more than any other team.

Thoughts?

Max lost a perfect game some years back on that.

Never gets called.

I hope they actually play a bit. The Yankees didn't have a game for the Old Timers Day, reportedly because so many old timers were not vaccinated. I would assume the Mets will face the same problems.

Kyle Schwarber, the Phils best power threat, just pulled a muscle and is not expected to play tonight. There are some reports saying he is out for the series but I don't think that has been confirmed yet.

Baty went 2-4 for the Syracuse Mets last night and is hitting .364. Looks unstoppable. Vientos also went 2-4 and has his BA up to .271.

Francisco Alarez got a day of rest.

Could it be that Baty is more ready for the majors than Alvarez is?

Will Keith leave after the OTD game/ceremony so he doesn't have to watch the Phillies play?

Why did he have to say that? It makes me nervous.
He won’t because they play the Rockies. I also have no idea why he said that though. Just gives them more locker room fodder.

Shjt!

Marte should have tried to score on that one.

Phillies 'fundies' look pretty good.

Last edited:
Shjt!

Marte should have tried to score on that one.

Phillies 'fundies' look pretty good.
Phillies win, on the road, vs. Scherzer, without Harper and Schwarber.

How’d ya like them apples, Keef?

Could it be that Baty is more ready for the majors than Alvarez is?
It might be. Brett has hit well everywhere he has played.

It might happen sooner than we thought.

Escobar left the game early with left side tightness. Shortly after that, Hoskins spiked McNeil and opened a gash on his thumb.

We had to play Canha at 3b.

Haven’t seen any word on how serious either injury is. Guessing we will see at least one infielder called up from Syracuse.

The logical guy would be Travis Blankenhorn, who can play 2b and 3b and has some MLB experience.

Could also be Baty or Vientos. Or some combination there of.

Noah's not a New York kinda guy:

Ironic that he's with the Phillies, (with Wheeler) and a'Arnaud is with the Braves. What's R. A. doing these days?

Can I take two more months of this? Tonight's game was like squeezing the last toothpaste out of the tube.

Oh, and the Phillies' fundies continue to look stellar.

Yeah they are playing extremely well. Gotta beat even the hottest of the hot. Tonight we did. Barely.

Just gotta add.. deGrom was dominant again and we got the win with a pitch count cap on him. Tonight was a game you win if you want to win in October. Bookend your ace with your elite closer. The Phillies are desperate to make that playoff push we are comfortably in a good place. Need good Bass and to beat up Wheeler and keep things rolling as we head to ATL. This stretch can lock things in if we do well. Then start the stretch towards the post season. Catching LA looks unlikely.

Last edited:
Yeah they are playing extremely well. Gotta beat even the hottest of the hot. Tonight we did. Barely.

Just gotta add.. deGrom was dominant again and we got the win with a pitch count cap on him. Tonight was a game you win if you want to win in October. Bookend your ace with your elite closer. The Phillies are desperate to make that playoff push we are comfortably in a good place. Need good Bass and to beat up Wheeler and keep things rolling as we head to ATL. This stretch can lock things in if we do well. Then start the stretch towards the post season. Catching LA looks unlikely.

So the Mets swallow another hot team whole. Now we go to Atlanta for 4, then two games in Yankee Stadium and the Dodgers await on 8/30-9/1. If we've still got a decent lead after that, forget it.

Last edited:
So the Mets swallow another hot team cold. Now we go to Atlanta for 4, then two games in Yankee Stadium and the Dodgers await on 8/30-9/1. If we've still got a decent lead after that, forget it.
Big series coming up. Atlanta is hot again after winning 6 in a row. Would love at least a split.

Another nice series win for the Mets. If Nido catches that great throw from Marte, we are probably looking at a sweep of the Phils. I will take 2 out of 3. Already 35 games over .500 and with the soft September schedule, the Braves and Phils must be feeling a lot of pressure to win these head to head games and make September meaningful.

Wheeler has always been a great talent and he has done a terrific job for the Phillies since he went there but he has a history of not pitching great in big games and that happened again today. And today it was Realmuto’s turn to drop a throw and blew a play at the plate.

Four games against the Braves in Atlanta.

I think the Mets have Carrasco, Walker, Scherzer and deGrom scheduled to pitch. Believe the Braves have Strider, Morton, Ororizzi and a TBD they hope will be Max Fried. He is out on concussion protocol right now but has a chance to be back for the Sunday game.

Peterson started for the Syracuse Mets today. Gave up a run in his first two innings and then had two shutout innings. I think he struck out 7. Was in the low 70s for pitches thrown. He has been taken out early like that a couple of times since he has been down. Not sure what that is all about.

After the Braves, the Mets play 4 games against the Phillies. One game on Friday, a doubleheader on Saturday and a final game on Sunday.

Bassitt is probably pitching Friday night. Carrasco will likely start one of the games Saturday and Peterson will probably get the other one. And then Walker will probably start Sunday. So they miss Scherzer and deGrom. Believe the Mets play the Yankees next Monday and Tuesday and they will get them. That will be interesting. Lots of hype for sure.

Hunter pitched a rehab game in Binghamton today and I suspect he will be back with the team by the time we play the Phillies again. Megill and Smith are expected back in late August or early September. Lucchesi might also join the team in September.

Guillorme pulled up lame. 3rd infielder hurt in the last 2 games. Looks like McNeil is going to play through his cut and I guess Escobar can at least play but right now only can hit batting lefty. Which unfortunately is his worse side. Hope Luis can avoid going on the DL. If not, the Mets have Gosuke Katoh with the team, ready to be activated. He is a former Yankee farmhand. Can play 1B, 2B and 3B. Hit over .300 in AAA last season. He is apparently a pretty good hitter and a decent fielder. Bats lefty. The injury situation in the infield is getting very concerning.

Jankowski get released again (I think it was the Mariners) and he opted to sign with the Mets. He will play with the Syracuse Mets and will probably be the first guy called up if an outfielder gets hurt.

Another nice series win for the Mets. If Nido catches that great throw from Marte, we are probably looking at a sweep of the Phils. I will take 2 out of 3. Already 35 games over .500 and with the soft September schedule, the Braves and Phils must be feeling a lot of pressure to win these head to head games and make September meaningful.

Wheeler has always been a great talent and he has done a terrific job for the Phillies since he went there but he has a history of not pitching great in big games and that happened again today. And today it was Realmuto’s turn to drop a throw and blew a play at the plate.

Four games against the Braves in Atlanta.

I think the Mets have Carrasco, Walker, Scherzer and deGrom scheduled to pitch. Believe the Braves have Strider, Morton, Ororizzi and a TBD they hope will be Max Fried. He is out on concussion protocol right now but has a chance to be back for the Sunday game.

Peterson started for the Syracuse Mets today. Gave up a run in his first two innings and then had two shutout innings. I think he struck out 7. Was in the low 70s for pitches thrown. He has been taken out early like that a couple of times since he has been down. Not sure what that is all about.

After the Braves, the Mets play 4 games against the Phillies. One game on Friday, a doubleheader on Saturday and a final game on Sunday.

Bassitt is probably pitching Friday night. Carrasco will likely start one of the games Saturday and Peterson will probably get the other one. And then Walker will probably start Sunday. So they miss Scherzer and deGrom. Believe the Mets play the Yankees next Monday and Tuesday and they will get them. That will be interesting. Lots of hype for sure.

Hunter pitched a rehab game in Binghamton today and I suspect he will be back with the team by the time we play the Phillies again. Megill and Smith are expected back in late August or early September. Lucchesi might also join the team in September.

Guillorme pulled up lame. 3rd infielder hurt in the last 2 games. Looks like McNeil is going to play through his cut and I guess Escobar can at least play but right now only can hit batting lefty. Which unfortunately is his worse side. Hope Luis can avoid going on the DL. If not, the Mets have Gosuke Katoh with the team, ready to be activated. He is a former Yankee farmhand. Can play 1B, 2B and 3B. Hit over .300 in AAA last season. He is apparently a pretty good hitter and a decent fielder. Bats lefty. The injury situation in the infield is getting very concerning.

Jankowski get released again (I think it was the Mariners) and he opted to sign with the Mets. He will play with the Syracuse Mets and will probably be the first guy called up if an outfielder gets hurt.

Luis Guillorme is out 4-6 weeks with a pulled groin muscle. If we are lucky, he will be ready for the playoffs. The Mets called up Deven Marrero to replace him. 31 years old. Can play 2B, SS and 3B. Good glove. Not a good hitter.

Carrasco started for the Mets tonight and got knocked around. Canha lost a ball in the lights and it was raining hard….that didn’t help matters. After a rain delay, they started play again and it appeared Carlos was injured pitching on the wet mound. Something wrong with his side. Looked a lot like the lat injury Scherzer had.

No word on how serious this is going to be but he might be on a similar time table to Guillorme.

And then there is the word that Tomas Nido has been placed on the non injury IL (which seems to actually be a COVID IL list). He has been replaced by Michael Perez, another good field/no hit type, only he is a catcher, that the Mets recently picked up off the waivers from the Pirates.

Nido does a really nice job calling games and some of the Mets starters (Scherzer and deGrom among them) appear to strongly prefer to throw to him. That might be where he is missed the most.

My guess is that he will only be unavailable for a couple of days.

So the last 24 hours have been pretty crappy.

Luis Guillorme is out 4-6 weeks with a pulled groin muscle. If we are lucky, he will be ready for the playoffs. The Mets called up Deven Marrero to replace him. 31 years old. Can play 2B, SS and 3B. Good glove. Not a good hitter.

Carrasco started for the Mets tonight and got knocked around. Canha lost a ball in the lights and it was raining hard….that didn’t help matters. After a rain delay, they started play again and it appeared Carlos was injured pitching on the wet mound. Something wrong with his side. Looked a lot like the lat injury Scherzer had.

No word on how serious this is going to be but he might be on a similar time table to Guillorme.

And then there is the word that Tomas Nido has been placed on the non injury IL (which seems to actually be a COVID IL list). He has been replaced by Michael Perez, another good field/no hit type, only he is a catcher, that the Mets recently picked up off the waivers from the Pirates.

Nido does a really nice job calling games and some of the Mets starters (Scherzer and deGrom among them) appear to strongly prefer to throw to him. That might be where he is missed the most.

Ugh. Not a great day for the Mets and currently getting hammered right now. A split of this series is all they need though. Would love to take 3 of 4 but doubtful that happens on the road. Braves play the Astros this weekend so I feel like a split in Philly will be ok for us as well. If we can play .500 ball this week, we are in good shape going forward.

I was kind of hoping to see Baty make his major league debut but the Mets are determined not to rush these guys. I'm guessing Peterson will go back up now.

I was kind of hoping to see Baty make his major league debut but the Mets are determined not to rush these guys. I'm guessing Peterson will go back up now.
The Mets broadcaster said David will pitch one of the games in the Saturday doubleheader.

He was probably going to be sent down after that but assuming Carlos is out a while, he will surely stay with the team for the foreseeable future. Guessing Trevor takes Carlos’ start in 4 days.

Megill and Smith can’t get back fast enough. Our pitching depth is not great right now.

The Mets broadcaster said David will pitch one of the games in the Saturday doubleheader.

He was probably going to be sent down after that but assuming Carlos is out a while, he will surely stay with the team for the foreseeable future. Guessing Trevor takes Carlos’ start in 4 days.

Megill and Smith can’t get back fast enough. Our pitching depth is not great right now.
Update: the Mets are calling up Baty. He is expected to arrive tomorrow. Might be his last time playing in Syracuse tonight. Good luck Brett!

Now Walker is out of the game. Second straight time a Mets starter could pitch only two innings. They have Alvarez out there from the Smets.

I missed it but apparently Walker may have strained his back making a play at first base.

Our biggest problem is that we've stopped scoring -1 run in 18 innings in this series. And this is still a winnable game.