2022 PGA Tour | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

Anyone have any thoughts for the PGA Championship this weekend?

I haven't been watching as much golf this year, but was an exciting Sunday at the Byron Nelson.

Anyone have any thoughts for the PGA Championship this weekend?

I haven't been watching as much golf this year, but was an exciting Sunday at the Byron Nelson.
The PGA traditionally is the most open of any of the majors and this year is definitely not an exception. This course will most likely play very long and somewhat difficult (dry, hard, fast and windy). I believe someone said it will be the longest par 70 course ever (7500+ yards). I put a couple top ten and top twenty bets down, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if the winner is a top ten guy or a top 100 guy. But, I would be shocked if the winner isn't someone who is an extremely accurate driver and a great strokes gained putting guy. Sounds obvious, but there will probably be some big names that struggle the first two days and miss or barely make the cut.

The PGA traditionally is the most open of any of the majors and this year is definitely not an exception. This course will most likely play very long and somewhat difficult (dry, hard, fast and windy). I believe someone said it will be the longest par 70 course ever (7500+ yards). I put a couple top ten and top twenty bets down, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if the winner is a top ten guy or a top 100 guy. But, I would be shocked if the winner isn't someone who is an extremely accurate driver and a great strokes gained putting guy. Sounds obvious, but there will probably be some big names that struggle the first two days and miss or barely make the cut.

I don't fully agree with a few of your observations. Note - I actually wrote most of the post below totally forgetting that Phil won last year's PGA... only while I was researching the rankings of winners did I remember that Phil won. So while it was an exception to what I was writing. I think my points still generally stand as Phil's win was more of an anomaly.

#1) In my view the most "Open" of the majors is the British Open. Looking back since 2000 they had Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, old Darren Clarke all win who I believe were outside of the top 100 at the time. Curtis was in the world 300's. Tom Watson at 59 and Greg Norman at 52 were in contention until a playoff / back 9.

During that period the PGA did have some obscure winners as well - Yang, Micheel, but that is still a level up from where the Open winners were at the time.

That being said that was in 2002-2011 era when obscure major winners were fairly common place... since then the winners have been much more predictable. That was such a strange era of golf. Which leads to point #2.

#2) Regarding your comment that we should not be surprised if someone in the 50-100 range wins the PGA that would actually really surprise me... it has not happened since the beginning of 2012 (with one recent exception being Phil). I view that as more of an anomaly but we shall see.

Rankings entering week

Masters
Hideki - 25
Johnson - 1
Tiger - 12
Reed -24
Garcia - 11
Spieth - 4
Willett - 12
Bubba - 12
Scott -7
Bubba - 18

PGA
Phil - 116
Morikawa - 12
Koepka - 3
Koepka - 4
Thomas - 14
Walker - 48
Day - 5
Rory - 1
Dufner - 21
Rory - 3

US
Rahm - 3
Dechambeau - 9
Johnson - 6
Koepka - 9
Koepka - 22
Woodland - 24
Spieth - 2
Kaymer - 28
Rose -5
Simpson - 13

British
Morikawa - 4
Lowry - 33
Molinari - 15
Spieth - 3
Stenson - 6
Z Johnson - 25
Rory - 8
Mickelson - 5
Els - 40

I don't fully agree with a few of your observations. Note - I actually wrote most of the post below totally forgetting that Phil won last year's PGA... only while I was researching the rankings of winners did I remember that Phil won. So while it was an exception to what I was writing. I think my points still generally stand as Phil's win was more of an anomaly.

#1) In my view the most "Open" of the majors is the British Open. Looking back since 2000 they had Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, old Darren Clarke all win who I believe were outside of the top 100 at the time. Curtis was in the world 300's. Tom Watson at 59 and Greg Norman at 52 were in contention until a playoff / back 9.

During that period the PGA did have some obscure winners as well - Yang, Micheel, but that is still a level up from where the Open winners were at the time.

That being said that was in 2002-2011 era when obscure major winners were fairly common place... since then the winners have been much more predictable. That was such a strange era of golf. Which leads to point #2.

#2) Regarding your comment that we should not be surprised if someone in the 50-100 range wins the PGA that would actually really surprise me... it has not happened since the beginning of 2012 (with one recent exception being Phil). I view that as more of an anomaly but we shall see.

Rankings entering week

Masters
Hideki - 25
Johnson - 1
Tiger - 12
Reed -24
Garcia - 11
Spieth - 4
Willett - 12
Bubba - 12
Scott -7
Bubba - 18

PGA
Phil - 116
Morikawa - 12
Koepka - 3
Koepka - 4
Thomas - 14
Walker - 48
Day - 5
Rory - 1
Dufner - 21
Rory - 3

US
Rahm - 3
Dechambeau - 9
Johnson - 6
Koepka - 9
Koepka - 22
Woodland - 24
Spieth - 2
Kaymer - 28
Rose -5
Simpson - 13

British
Morikawa - 4
Lowry - 33
Molinari - 15
Spieth - 3
Stenson - 6
Z Johnson - 25
Rory - 8
Mickelson - 5
Els - 40
Wasn’t Oosthuizen also an unknown when he won?

Rankings entering week

Masters
Hideki - 25
Johnson - 1
Tiger - 12
Reed -24
Garcia - 11
Spieth - 4
Willett - 12
Bubba - 12
Scott -7
Bubba - 18

PGA
Phil - 116
Morikawa - 12
Koepka - 3
Koepka - 4
Thomas - 14
Walker - 48
Day - 5
Rory - 1
Dufner - 21
Rory - 3

US
Rahm - 3
Dechambeau - 9
Johnson - 6
Koepka - 9
Koepka - 22
Woodland - 24
Spieth - 2
Kaymer - 28
Rose -5
Simpson - 13

British
Morikawa - 4
Lowry - 33
Molinari - 15
Spieth - 3
Stenson - 6
Z Johnson - 25
Rory - 8
Mickelson - 5
Els - 40
So, we can agree that both of them have had guys come out of nowhere. Pro golfers surprise me many times, but the conditions look like it might lead to a winning score of like -7 or -8. If that's the case, then I think there is a good chance a not as highly rated golfer is up near the top of the leaderboard. But we will see.

Wasn’t Oosthuizen also an unknown when he won?

He was 54th in the world entering that week. And as largely a Euro / International tour player at the time he was certainly unknown. Other than Phil, there has not been a lower ranked player win a major since the beginning of 2012.

As noted above from 2002-2011 this is type of longshot win happened fairly regularly -- at the Open Alone Curtis and Hamilton were certainly longer odds, and lets not forget old Tom Watson nearly winning it.

But now a days it rarely ever happens.

My zero thought given throw a few bucks down team for the week

Hovland 25-1
Burns 40-1
Niemann 40-1
Berger 55-1
Homa 70-1
Horschel 90-1

And the 3 Canadians (with top 8 side)
Connors 60-1
Hadwin 200-1
Hughes 275-1

Didn't place any top 10 or top 20 bets but if I would, it would have been on Hadwin at longer odds.

Round one pins. Woof on some of them!!!

282173628_419458883336250_5695793090429469512_n.jpg

If you combine accuracy and distance, this might be the greatest driving performance in major history. No hyperbole. Lots of holes left of course

Is this PGA coverage on ESPN for frigging real!?!?

Collins and his fat arse showing his tattoo and Eli talking about his “atomic wedgie” he gave his bro once upon a time his greatest accomplishment. What a joke!

This may work for talk radio, but not on the mother ship! It’s the PGA! Your noon-2pm coverage should not be this garb. I’m certain, most folks tuning in on ESPN simply want to watch the major that it is, at least IMO. Good grief!

Last edited:
My zero thought given throw a few bucks down team for the week

Hovland 25-1
Burns 40-1
Niemann 40-1
Berger 55-1
Homa 70-1
Horschel 90-1

And the 3 Canadians (with top 8 side)
Connors 60-1
Hadwin 200-1
Hughes 275-1

Didn't place any top 10 or top 20 bets but if I would, it would have been on Hadwin at longer odds.
Speith and Cam Smith to win
Speith and Corey Connors top 10
Matsuyama top 20
Nieman top 30
Brooksey to miss the cut

Collins and his fat arse showing his tattoo and Eli talking about his “atomic wedgie” he gave his bro once upon a time his greatest accomplishment. What a joke!

This may work for talk radio, but not on the mother ship! It’s the PGA! Your noon-2pm coverage should not be this garb. I’m certain, most folks tuning in on ESPN simply want to watch the major that it is, at least IMO. Good grief!
Not to mention that dead air embarrassment where they showed the guy with the beard wiping his brow. Are the directors off today?

This segment with Freddie is classic. Talking about how he struggled at Houston and how he paid guys on the swim team five bucks to take tests for him just so he could stay eligible.

Michael Collins is an acquired taste. No doubt about it. It took me a long time to warm up to him on PGA Tour radio but he knows his stuff.

The nice thing about the mega-cast is that you don't have to watch it if you don't want to as there are other platforms.

My thought was, is ESPN trying to go broke. That was a nightmare.

Looks like the course won today. They were using really tough pin placements. The players were flag hunting for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom