2022 PGA Tour | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

I think the old men told him to back off for this year.

I think probably something like that. If he were to play, it would create a media storm they wouldn't like. And it would detract from their circle-jerk over the potential return of Tiger.

As good a place as any for this. This was a good decision, dropping the 10 year requirement. She deserves the LPGA HOF.

Absolutely agree she belongs in. She was dominant for 7 years and shouldn't be penalized for retiring to start a family.

I think the old men told him to back off for this year.

I wonder if the Masters will sit him down for a press conference next year, where the chair of the Masters committee will scold Mickelson for his behaviour -- just like they did with Tiger in 2010. This is not a defence of Tiger but it was such hypocrisy from the Masters committee at the time.

I can’t wait til he returns. I want to see what he wears on his head (I’m guessing an ASU logo) and what ball he plays. If he goes away from the Chromesoft, that could hurt the ball’s reputation.
After the Masters, I think the PGA tour should make him and the others who helped to fund and recruit players to the Saudi Tour wear a kaffiyeh on just the 9th and 11th holes. /s. On a serious note, Phil was beloved at Bethpage Black on prior visits - if he has any ability to read the room - he might want to do some soul searching again on that upcoming visit.

After the Masters, I think the PGA tour should make him and the others who helped to fund and recruit players to the Saudi Tour wear a kaffiyeh on just the 9th and 11th holes. /s. On a serious note, Phil was beloved at Bethpage Black on prior visits - if he has any ability to read the room - he might want to do some soul searching again on that upcoming visit.

The next big event at Bethpage is in 2025 (I think) so he will have to wait a while!

I would argue the fact that Phil was beloved at Bethpage Black. and seen as a great guy, was an indication of the fans inability to read the room -- an inability to read who Phil actually was off the course and what others pros thought about him (especially at the time of the first Bethpage major where Phil was clearly in the FIGJAM phase).

Phil's a historically great golfer, an entertaining golfer to watch, and has charisma. And if people want to cheer him on for that, that is perfectly fine. That being said way too many people thought (or still think) he is a great guy. We now have the Saudi incident and his turn on the players committee, the gambling/insider trading stuff, the Tom Watson incident, the "FIGJAM" stuff, his defence of bankers involved in 2008 who were his friends.

The next big event at Bethpage is in 2025 (I think) so he will have to wait a while!

I would argue the fact that Phil was beloved at Bethpage Black. and seen as a great guy, was an indication of the fans inability to read the room -- an inability to read who Phil actually was off the course and what others pros thought about him (especially at the time of the first Bethpage major where Phil was clearly in the FIGJAM phase).

Phil's a historically great golfer, an entertaining golfer to watch, and has charisma. And if people want to cheer him on for that, that is perfectly fine. That being said way too many people thought (or still think) he is a great guy. We now have the Saudi incident and his turn on the players committee, the gambling/insider trading stuff, the Tom Watson incident, the "FIGJAM" stuff, his defence of bankers involved in 2008 who were his friends.

"You are what your record says you are."
noidea.gif

I was surprised to see the odds for Tiger missing the cut were -125. This will be a tough cut for him to make
I realize the Masters is a much easier cut than the other majors due to smaller field size and the number of 50+year old geezers, but those seem very high.

Would love for him to prove me wrong and do well. But Tiger has historically struggled the first few tournaments back from extended layoffs since 2010. That being said his last return in 2018? went a bit smoother than others. Seems like he was going with a more natural swing rather than getting bogged down in mechanics of all the swing changes he made in the years before that.

And this is not even considering how difficult it will be for him to walk, which may not be that great for his back.

I was surprised to see the odds for Tiger missing the cut were -125. This will be a tough cut for him to make
I realize the Masters is a much easier cut than the other majors due to smaller field size and the number of 50+year old geezers, but those seem very high.

Would love for him to prove me wrong and do well. But Tiger has historically struggled the first few tournaments back from extended layoffs since 2010. That being said his last return in 2018? went a bit smoother than others. Seems like he was going with a more natural swing rather than getting bogged down in mechanics of all the swing changes he made in the years before that.

And this is not even considering how difficult it will be for him to walk, which may not be that great for his back.
I think Tiger is going to have a great Masters.

I hope he does.

But it just doesn't purely fit with what he has done on his returns from extended breaks, which are from various physical issues. But as I did mention above he has done a bit better in his more recent returns from recent breaks. He does seem happy with his swing, while in some of this years around (2015) he was in his overly technical talk phase.

2020 (22 weak break) - 40th at Memorial

Late 2017 (43 weak break) - 9th out of 18 at Hero World Challenge

Late 2016 (66 week break)
- 15th out of 17 at Hero World Challenge
- Missed cut at his first PGA event a few weeks later by 4 shots

Late 2014 (17 week break)
- Last at Hero World Challenge
- Missed Cut by 12 shots in Phoenix
(I remember on this return he was struggling on his chipping because of his swing change when he was a bit of a technical mess -- I do not expect this to be an issue this time)

I hope he does.

But it just doesn't purely fit with what he has done on his returns from extended breaks, which are from various physical issues. But as I did mention above he has done a bit better in his more recent returns from recent breaks. He does seem happy with his swing, while in some of this years around (2015) he was in his overly technical talk phase.

2020 (22 weak break) - 40th at Memorial

Late 2017 (43 weak break) - 9th out of 18 at Hero World Challenge

Late 2016 (66 week break)
- 15th out of 17 at Hero World Challenge
- Missed cut at his first PGA event a few weeks later by 4 shots

Late 2014 (17 week break)
- Last at Hero World Challenge
- Missed Cut by 12 shots in Phoenix
(I remember on this return he was struggling on his chipping because of his swing change when he was a bit of a technical mess -- I do not expect this to be an issue this time)

No crap to you guys, but I've never been a Tiger fan. His bristling arrogance turned me off. He never seemed to have many friends on tour and was always about himself. During this most recent convalescence his attempts to be a little more like a regular guy sometimes strike me as arbitrary, like he doesn't know how to be that kind of guy.

It always annoyed me how the media fawned over him, with TV coverage of Tiger hitches his belt, Tiger tugs his cap, Tiger looks at the trees, Tiger this, Tiger that, while the rest of players in the tournament were playing well and hitting shots. But in fairness, that's not on really on him.

Nevertheless, I also appreciate how golf has grown in his wake, with equipment (and now some rule) improvements making the game more playable than it was in the 70's when I began playing with persimmon head woods and forged blades. Perhaps today's equipment would have arrived anyway, but the popularity of the game was certainly driven by the "Tiger effect."

Anyway, it's a compelling story regardless, something like Hogan's or Venturi's comebacks. I hope the media covers the whole tournament, not just him. And I also appreciate how their focus on his presence - a net positive - will suppress all the Phil talk - a net negative - that would have competed for attention. But I'll certainly watch as much of it as I can. Here's hoping for a good tournament with a lot of competition.

DeChambeau To Have Surgery On Left Hand:

He pulled out of, wait for it, a long-driving contest in favor of the surgery.

DeChambeau To Have Surgery On Left Hand:

He pulled out of, wait for it, a long-driving contest in favor of the surgery.

He should have surgery on his left brain.

Just in case anyone forgot the PGA is at Oak hill next yr.. The registration for tickets signup is still live for a few more weeks.. Tickets go on sale mid June for next yr.

If past history is any guide if you get locked out there will be tickets for sale on the PGA re-sell market and a slightly elevated price in addition to stubhub and others.

Hard to really know how many tickets Oak hill sells vs other sites when you compare how many people can he handled on that site.

I love this Morgan Hoffmann story. Just to be back on tour after all his physical ailments. I hope he plays well today and makes the cut.

Hoffmann bogeyed his last hole and missed the cut by one stroke. Pretty painful but he is very positive about being back. Here is a follow up article.

Despite missed cut, Morgan Hoffmann proves to himself he belongs back on the PGA Tour Despite missed cut, Morgan Hoffmann proves to himself he belongs back on the PGA Tour

I’m at the Heritage this week. Was hoping for Luke List to make the cut as he and Bulldog04 ard best friends. But sadly, he didn’t. Cantlay looks strong for the weekend. However, if these winds keep up, it’s anyone’s tournament
Have fun. One of my favorite tournaments. Of course I was always a big DL3 guy. Would love to see Kuchar go low today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom