2022 Schedule Change | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Schedule Change

It's funny that you guys either bash or support Herm when it comes to scheduling. He's just doing what he's told. Doc wanted him scheduling big names/games. Babers wants scheduling to be lighter. He's not going rogue and hand picking these contracts himself lol

Disagree 144% with that last line. WHY???

We had a heavier weight on the non-con schedule THIS year - Notre Dame.
How'd that work out for us?? :rolleyes:

Think about how 11-2 this year would have looked? :cool:

And how maybe it would have gotten us an even better bowl, the Lambert Trophy (GRRRRR), and that much more positive buzz.

Insert some random P5 soupcan instead of the Irish, and that's how it would have been.
THIS YEAR.
Sigh.

For the 1444th time - there is zero extra credit given for degree of difficulty of OOC schedule.
ONLY WINS AND LOSSES MATTER.

Just a personal preference. Makes the schedule more interesting. More exposure in those games.

I'm glad we have the ND arrangement. Next time is in the Dome. We actually don't have a choice on that one, but I hope we don't make the assumption that we'll lay an egg every time. Both LSU games were way more competitive.

Can we at least all agree that the Lambert Trophy isn't a real reason for scheduling lighter? I don't think anyone has cared about that since 1991. Which is also a year that we scheduled both Florida and Florida State.

Just a personal preference. Makes the schedule more interesting. More exposure in those games.

I'm glad we have the ND arrangement. Next time is in the Dome. We actually don't have a choice on that one, but I hope we don't make the assumption that we'll lay an egg every time. Both LSU games were way more competitive.

Can we at least all agree that the Lambert Trophy isn't a real reason for scheduling lighter? I don't think anyone has cared about that since 1991. Which is also a year that we scheduled both Florida and Florida State.

You know what gets us "more exposure"?

WINNING.

Our near-win at Clemson this year was nice, but it was the TEN ACTUAL WINS that got us all the great pub this year.

Agreed - the Lambert is a joke. But it'd still be nice to win it.
Army won because they had "the better record" - 11-2 vs 10-3.
Against a bunch of nobodies. But nobody cared - just about the W/L.

We pretty much haven't not laid an egg on ANY of our marquee OOC games, in like forever.
"Close losses" to a team like LSU = L on the record
regardless of how "competitive" we looked whilst losing.

We haven't had P5 OOC win since Mizzou in '12.
And that W didn't offset the 3 OOC L's we took vs Northwestern, USC, and Minne.

What a horrendous schedule.
Made our best team in a decade look pedestrian, because we started off 1-3.

With a more reasonable OOC schedule, that team is playing in the Sugar Bowl, instead of the Pinstripe.

You know what gets us "more exposure"?

WINNING.

Our near-win at Clemson this year was nice, but it was the TEN ACTUAL WINS that got us all the great pub this year.

Agreed - the Lambert is a joke. But it'd still be nice to win it.
Army won because they had "the better record" - 11-2 vs 10-3.
Against a bunch of nobodies. But nobody cared - just about the W/L.

We pretty much haven't not laid an egg on ANY of our marquee OOC games, in like forever.
"Close losses" to a team like LSU = L on the record
regardless of how "competitive" we looked whilst losing.

We haven't had P5 OOC win since Mizzou in '12.
And that W didn't offset the 3 OOC L's we took vs Northwestern, USC, and Minne.

What a horrendous schedule.
Made our best team in a decade look pedestrian, because we started off 1-3.

With a more reasonable OOC schedule, that team is playing in the Sugar Bowl, instead of the Pinstripe.

I think you're moving the goalposts a bit between your two posts, but no big deal.

We managed to play Notre Dame and had 10 wins and had great exposure. I agree. I don't see the harm in scheduling someone interesting. Doesn't have to be Alabama or Ohio State, but could be a Tennessee or Iowa.

We're at a place where we can win those games. I think the ND game was an anomaly. It was an unfortunate day to play our worst game of the season, but I don't think it was all because of who we played.

Yup...that was our first big Fine Mess Road Trip Ticket buy for the 2010 Opener at Akron. We sold about 60 tickets and sat on about the 40 yard line IIRC. I still remember those Akron fans playing Kenny's Two Pennies in the parking lot pregame.
That was a good road trip. If we go again, I am hoping the Indians will be in town (we passed through Cleveland on the way) and we can do a two-fer.

At least check out the R&R HOF.

Woo hoo!

Disagree 144% with that last line. WHY???

We had a heavier weight on the non-con schedule THIS year - Notre Dame.
How'd that work out for us?? :rolleyes:

Think about how 11-2 this year would have looked? :cool:

And how maybe it would have gotten us an even better bowl, the Lambert Trophy (GRRRRR), and that much more positive buzz.

Insert some random P5 soupcan instead of the Irish, and that's how it would have been.
THIS YEAR.
Sigh.

For the 1444th time - there is zero extra credit given for degree of difficulty of OOC schedule.
ONLY WINS AND LOSSES MATTER.

Totally agree for where the program is NOW. But if we truly take off like we hope at a certain point we will want to schedule tougher than we are currently in the years we don't play ND out of conference. Don't want to see us become Baylor with an FCS opponent and SMU/Rice mostly annually.

Cheers,
Neil

OSU plays FAU, Cincy and Miami (OH) next year OOC. I don’t see them making things hard for themselves OOC because they have a conference that makes it up for it. We are in the same boat as them in terms of scheduling. 1 FCS tincan, 2 G5 tin cans and a middle of the pack P5 like vandy

OSU plays FAU, Cincy and Miami (OH) next year OOC. I don’t see them making things hard for themselves OOC because they have a conference that makes it up for it. We are in the same boat as them in terms of scheduling. 1 FCS tincan, 2 G5 tin cans and a middle of the pack P5 like vandy

Have you seen who the Buckeyes have played over the past six seasons and who they are scheduled to play over the next 7 seasons after next year? And that is with only 3 available slots. The OSU 2019 OOC schedule is a blip.

I am not suggesting we aim that high but if we get rolling we should always have a perceived Top 15-25 OOC foe on the schedule.

Cheers,
Neil

Yup...that was our first big Fine Mess Road Trip Ticket buy for the 2010 Opener at Akron. We sold about 60 tickets and sat on about the 40 yard line IIRC. I still remember those Akron fans playing Kenny's Two Pennies in the parking lot pregame.
Kenny sat next to me a couple of years ago in the Dome for one game; he was there by himself. He is a very unique personality for sure and I can see why the Akron fans would be entertained.

I wonder wether a team will get more exposure going 10-2 with 3 tin cans OOC versus 8-4 with 3 tough OOC games. My money is on the former

Agree, in the end, teams are evaluated by the record, their are way more casual fans than involved fans like most of us that will take a deep analysis into SOS.

Totally agree for where the program is NOW. But if we truly take off like we hope at a certain point we will want to schedule tougher than we are currently in the years we don't play ND out of conference. Don't want to see us become Baylor with an FCS opponent and SMU/Rice mostly annually.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, it would totally suck if we became like Baylor at football.
Who'd want that?? :rolleyes:
(definitely NOT like Baylor w/ rapey/off-field issues, of course)

If we "truly take off" - it will be BECAUSE we didn't schedule like idiots.
aka - like we've done for the past decade plus.

WHY make it harder to rack up wins??
It makes ZERO sense.

You wanna compete to make the Playoffs and a chance at a Natty?
Go 4-0 in the OOC, as easily as possible, and then win the ACC.

There is no bonus credit for degree of difficulty in the OOC schedule.
None, nada, ixnay, zip, zero point zero.

Yeah, it would totally suck if we became like Baylor at football.
Who'd want that?? :rolleyes:
(definitely NOT like Baylor w/ rapey/off-field issues, of course)

If we "truly take off" - it will be BECAUSE we didn't schedule like idiots.
aka - like we've done for the past decade plus.

WHY make it harder to rack up wins??
It makes ZERO sense.

You wanna compete to make the Playoffs and a chance at a Natty?
Go 4-0 in the OOC, as easily as possible, and then win the ACC.

There is no bonus credit for degree of difficulty in the OOC schedule.
None, nada, ixnay, zip, zero point zero.

Are you proposing we go full Beamer with OOC scheduling?!?

Because you never go full Beamer.

Unless you’re Greg Schiano.

And I hope we never emulate either when it comes to scheduling OOC.

So basically Ohio wants to play a winnable game, you can't blame them for making their schedule less challenging and getting some more cash to boot.

I'd like SU to find a home/home vs a team in Georgia since SU seems to recruit there so much.

So basically Ohio wants to play a winnable game, you can't blame them for making their schedule less challenging and getting some more cash to boot.

I'd like SU to find a home/home vs a team in Georgia since SU seems to recruit there so much.
Our options are basically Georgia, GT, or Georgia Southern. Take your pick;)

It's funny that you guys either bash or support Herm when it comes to scheduling. He's just doing what he's told. Doc wanted him scheduling big names/games. Babers wants scheduling to be lighter. He's not going rogue and hand picking these contracts himself lol

The problem isn’t The Who but the when. We have been routinely last in finishing our schedule since he arrived. That limits our leverage over G5 teams and gives less interesting P5 options. He also had this problem at all of his former stops. Schools change, ADs change, coaches change, the only constant if Herm.

The problem isn’t The Who but the when. We have been routinely last in finishing our schedule since he arrived. That limits our leverage over G5 teams and gives less interesting P5 options. He also had this problem at all of his former stops. Schools change, ADs change, coaches change, the only constant if Herm.
I'll give a pass for now...the Dome renovation is tough to schedule around...as it was hanging in the breeze over a start date. I do agree we were slow before the Dome Reno to schedule out fully several seasons in advance like most schools.

Last edited:
I’d love to see a 2 for 1 with Tulane. It doesn’t solve 2020 but they have openings in 2021 and 2022. Tulane has a relatively new stadium, Nola is awesome for a road trip, and it’s not too bad a trip for our Texas recruiting base.
Great trip... close enough to Houston for recruiting

I would like to see the University of Buffalo back on the schedule. Enjoyed my trip to Buffalo during the Coach P era and it would give us some much needed exposure in Western New York.

Agree. Why legitimize them? Let them rot
Nick Saban could jump to Connecticut next year, while convincing Spurrier to be the QB coach/OC and Eddie O to be the DC/recruiting coordinator, and they still wouldn’t be legitimate.

The board is not smart enough to know the difference, they’re still pissed we gave up a home game for ND at Yankee Stadium.

I get we don’t schedule 1AA till the end, but it’s frustrating to not see a full slate of FBS.
Hah! I was going to write the same thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom