2023-24 NBA Season | Page 116 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

So the way the trade is currently being reported, the Knicks would be hard-capping themselves at the first apron which will make it nearly impossible to bring back OG or Hartenstein as they're already like $50-60 million over the apron with cap holds.

Having said that, they'll almost certainly restructure this trade to avoid hard-capping themselves. They could do that by simply sending Diakite and Jerricho Sims to Brooklyn (or wherever really), could find a taker for Mitch Robinson, sell off Randle, etc. Regardless, I'm sure they'll figure that part out so that they can seriously pursue bringing OG and Hartenstein back.

I do kinda wonder if OG will agree to return; part of why he was traded from Toronto was to get a bigger offensive role and he's at best #4 or #5 in the pecking order with New York. Maybe he's willing to sacrifice to pursue a title right now, maybe he wants to go elsewhere and try to prove himself as more an all-star caliber guy than a role player; we'll see.

At any rate, that is an absolutely massive haul for Brooklyn and their follow up trade with Houston is great too. I'm sure this season will be ugly as hell, but tonight was an incredible rebound from their disastrous Durant era.

I'd still take Boston over New York if both teams are healthy, even if OG does re-sign, but this move obviously makes the Knicks better (which it better considering what they gave up). If they actually end up losing OG, this is kind of a disaster; they'll obviously still be good without OG, but trading 5 first round picks plus a pick swap for a slight upgrade can't be what they have in mind (you could argue it's a bigger upgrade than that given the durability of OG vs. Bridges if you want).

There is still so much stuff to unfold. They can’t include 2 of Diakite/jefferies/sims to avoid the first apron. It does sound like harty may be gone but I am pretty confident that 1) they will maneuver things to avoid being hard capped at the first apron and 2) they will bring og back, even if they don’t get 1) done.

I was really really excited before the harty stuff came out; now I am just really excited.

There is still so much stuff to unfold. They can’t include 2 of Diakite/jefferies/sims to avoid the first apron. It does sound like harty may be gone but I am pretty confident that 1) they will maneuver things to avoid being hard capped at the first apron and 2) they will bring og back, even if they don’t get 1) done.

I was really really excited before the harty stuff came out; now I am just really excited.
The apron stuff gets me confused. I failed math.

Season success is going to depend on the health of Mitch.

Actually sims apparently isn’t a minimum so they can include him and a minimum to avoid the hard cap

Actually sims apparently isn’t a minimum so they can include him and a minimum to avoid the hard cap
Keith Smith and a few other people are saying for purposes of that weird rule, Sims is considered a minimum contract even though he was signed using the MLE so he can’t be included either. Sounds like it may have to be McBride or perhaps they find someone to take Mitch or Randle or something and fold it all into one big trade.

Am I just way underrating Bridges? That seems like a nutso haul for the guy.
He didn't have a great year in Brooklyn, but I suppose he looks better as a projected third option on a good team than a lead guy on a bad team.

The apron stuff gets me confused. I failed math.

Season success is going to depend on the health of Mitch.

I'd be fine with moving on from Mitch, mostly due to his inability to stay on the court, but I'm not sure they have enough ammo left to get anyone to take him off our hands. I'd assume packaging him with the 24th and 38th pick this year wouldn't be enough with it being viewed as a really weak draft?

He didn't have a great year in Brooklyn, but I suppose he looks better as a projected third option on a good team than a lead guy on a bad team.
Right, but weren't the Knicks keeping that draft capital to get a star/franchise guy, not a 3rd option?

Definitely seems like an overpay, for sure. That being said, the Knicks have a pretty awful draft record and (hopefully, at least) these picks they shipped off will all be somewhere in the 20's. I'd rather they use their picks on proven talent rather than another Jordan Hill or Frank Ntilikina, but it's definitely a risk, for sure, and you do wonder whether you could have gotten a better player than Bridges with that much draft capital.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the chemistry of the team and how Bridges is going to fit in. He’s probably going to be the most comfortable he’s ever been with the teammates around him. Doesn’t need to be a superstar as long as everything flows.

Keith Smith and a few other people are saying for purposes of that weird rule, Sims is considered a minimum contract even though he was signed using the MLE so he can’t be included either. Sounds like it may have to be McBride or perhaps they find someone to take Mitch or Randle or something and fold it all into one big trade.

Yeah Fred Katz, knicks beat writer, said he talked to someone who thinks sims could be used along with a minimum guy but i think this is something that needs clarification. The Knicks are really good at managing the cap and I assume they have their bases covered but we’ll see!

No it’s definitely a lot. They probably had to pay a little more to get him from Brooklyn and they were somewhat up against a bit a time crunch; they kinda had to make a big trade at some point relatively soon and he does fit in well with the roster.

Definitely seems like an overpay, for sure. That being said, the Knicks have a pretty awful draft record and (hopefully, at least) these picks they shipped off will all be somewhere in the 20's. I'd rather they use their picks on proven talent rather than another Jordan Hill or Frank Ntilikina, but it's definitely a risk, for sure, and you do wonder whether you could have gotten a better player than Bridges with that much draft capital.
The Knicks draft record with the new FO has been pretty good. Iq and grimes in the 20s, deuce in the 30s. It feels weird to say but they kinda have one of the best FO in the league now

The Knicks draft record with the new FO has been pretty good. Iq and grimes in the 20s, deuce in the 30s. It feels weird to say but they kinda have one of the best FO in the league now

You're right, it's been better of late, but draft picks really still are a total crapshoot for the most part.

I do think it at least helps a little bit that Bridges is getting paid relative peanuts compared to the caliber player he is right now. He's on a bargain deal for the next two years and that's really important with the new CBA (and even more important if the Knicks do ultimately hard-cap themselves at $178 million).

But yeah, I think from a pure value perspective, this makes the Rudy Gobert trade look better lol.

What are the thoughts on trading Julius Randle? I see a fair amount of interest on Kings twitter heading into the draft tonight.

I do think it at least helps a little bit that Bridges is getting paid relative peanuts compared to the caliber player he is right now. He's on a bargain deal for the next two years and that's really important with the new CBA (and even more important if the Knicks do ultimately hard-cap themselves at $178 million).

But yeah, I think from a pure value perspective, this makes the Rudy Gobert trade look better lol.
Ah, didn't realize he's on a friendly contract. That matters.

So just when things were looking up for my rockets they go and make an idiotic trade giving the nets back their 2025 pick and 26 pick swap. Nets are going to be awful the next few years. Apparently there is some talk that the deal is to facilitate a trade for Durant from phx. I’ve studied the reasoning and it doesn’t hold water. And I don’t even want Durant . Rockets aren’t ready yet .

What are the thoughts on trading Julius Randle? I see a fair amount of interest on Kings twitter heading into the draft tonight.
As always, it depends on what sort of return you can get but I would be very interested in getting rid of him if I were the Knicks GM.

So just when things were looking up for my rockets they go and make an idiotic trade giving the nets back their 2025 pick and 26 pick swap. Nets are going to be awful the next few years. Apparently there is some talk that the deal is to facilitate a trade for Durant from phx. I’ve studied the reasoning and it doesn’t hold water. And I don’t even want Durant . Rockets aren’t ready yet .
What exactly did the Rockets get? I don't understand the trade. Is it just straight pick swaps?

As always, it depends on what sort of return you can get but I would be very interested in getting rid of him if I were the Knicks GM.
Morning radio mentioned pick #13, Harrison Barnes and Kevin Huerter. Huerter regressed last year, Barnes had his second straight season of playing 82 games if the iron man status continues to count for Thibs. No idea on the value of #13 in this draft, seems to not be great based on what I've heard.

Wanted to listen to some NBA Mock Drafts Podcasts yesterday while biking, and ran into the same issue every time. It's not a freaking mock draft , when it's just some schmo saying what teams should do. A mock draft is a projection of what teams will do.

I would here comments like this guy won't go nowhere near to #9, but he should so I'm picking him here. Is there some value to listening to that... sure, but don't label it as a MOCK Draft.

Last edited:
Morning radio mentioned pick #13, Harrison Barnes and Kevin Huerter. Huerter regressed last year, Barnes had his second straight season of playing 82 games if the iron man status continues to count for Thibs. No idea on the value of #13 in this draft, seems to not be great based on what I've heard.
I don't really understand why the Kings would want Randle next to Sabonis, but yeah, I'd do that if I were the Knicks. I really like who will likely be available at #13 in this draft. Low-key hoping Milwaukee makes a similar trade to send Brook or Bobby to OKC for #12.

I think Kuzma and Lavine make sense for the Kings to target with those assets.

What exactly did the Rockets get? I don't understand the trade. Is it just straight pick swaps?

A big part of the return was the Rockets getting the Suns futures that were owned by Brooklyn. And apparently the Rockets are interested in trading for Durant. The speculation is that if the Suns give up and rebuild, they would rather be controlling their own destiny with their own picks rather than other team's picks. So Houston offering a package with Phoenix first is more attrative to them.

Just heard 5/212 for OG Anunoby.
That's a big number (I was anticpating an average closer to 35-38)-- but the cap keeps getting bigger, and assuming standard range of increases the first year probably isn't much higher than 35.

It's an injury risk, especially under the hard style of Thibs. OG has played with some coaches who plays guys heavy minutes (Nurse and Thibs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom