2023-24 NBA Season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

RJ Barrett is so frustrating to watch (at least for Canada)

Lots of 1 on 1, pull up play, rarely plays with explosiveness.

Yeah, is Canada bball just run poorly? Seems like y'all should be right there for top 3 every tourney with the talent you have.

Hadn't replied to this earlier, but today's loss to Brazil (big upset based on how tournament had went) is basically Exhibit A in how we always mess it u.

We were in great shape starting 3-0, and we were up 52-40 to Brazil late in the 3rd in a grindy, sloppy game.

Win the game we pretty much guaranteed a spot in the quarters, and also in great shape to make the Olympics (since the top 2 from the Americas auto qualify and we would have knocked out Brazil, and DR and PR were in tough must win games moving forward)

But instead we lose to Brazil.
Now we are in a must win game against Spain in Game 5, and Brazil may take our spot in the Olympics.

In terms of being poorly run. There were many issues when Leo Rautins lead the program, both Leo and administratively. For example, they pissed Wiggins off and he quit the program for a number of years before he came back last year.

We have always had some issues with full participation due to long NBA season and FA. USA has same issue, but given they have so many players to choose from its minimized compared to Canada.

But things had settled down with Nick Nurse as coach and a better administration. New coach Jordy Fernandez is not a problem either.

But this one was on the players -- I would also say that Venezuela game from years back was more on the players too.

Last edited:
Not just for Canada!

Well he finally hit his first shot of the game with about 2 seconds left, hitting a meaningless 3 while we were down 6.

1-8 shooting overall
Clutch!

I'm going to blame Duke and Coach K, just because I feel like it.

Apparently there was lots of craziness in group play today, but the Canada/Spain group was the craziest.

Spain 3-0 vs Latvia 2-1 (Latvia wins)
Canada 3-0 vs Brazil 2-1 (Brazil wins)

Before today it looked like it would be Spain vs Canada playing merely for seeding on Sunday.

Instead Latvia vs Brazil are now playing for one spot on Sunday, and one of Canada/Spain will be eliminated.

"Win and get in to Olympics" games by Canada in recent years

Venezuela - Lose
Czech Republic - Lose
Brazil (Friday) - Lose
Spain (Today) - Losing by 12.. at least this one was expected.

"Win and get in to Olympics" games by Canada in recent years

Venezuela - Lose
Czech Republic - Lose
Brazil (Friday) - Lose
Spain (Today) - Losing by 12.. at least this one was expected.

For the first time since 2000, Canada has finally made the Olympics!

Down 10 at the half, they came back to take the lead early in the 3rd 53-52.
Spain then went on a run and took a 12 point lead 73-61.
But Canada came back down 6 with 4 minutes left, and won.

Wasn’t that when Durant was recovering from his Achilles?
Most of Leonard’s missed time seems to be from more innocuous injuries.
Riiiiight, like his innocuous ACL tear.

Dillon Brooks will always have some equity with me, because he was able to make Coach K expose himself as hypocritical poor sport. And now he will have some more because he was the key player for Canada in the 4th quarter comeback (with SGA)

Dillon Brooks is a guy you are OK to have on your team for a short period (such as a tournament)-- maybe not more. That is because of his defensive effort and energy and his antics have yet to build up to the tiring level.

Over a long period his antics have to get very tiring for any fan. He almost lost me with a stupid unsportmanlike foul yesterday that turned a 3 point shot into a 7 point possession.

Wow Italy is god awful. No athletic ability . Also can’t shoot
Also can’t dribble
Also can’t pass

Dillon Brooks will always have some equity with me, because he was able to make Coach K expose himself as hypocritical poor sport. And now he will have some more because he was the key player for Canada in the 4th quarter comeback (with SGA)

Dillon Brooks is a guy you are OK to have on your team for a short period (such as a tournament)-- maybe not more. That is because of his defensive effort and energy and his antics have yet to build up to the tiring level.

Over a long period his antics have to get very tiring for any fan. He almost lost me with a stupid unsportmanlike foul yesterday that turned a 3 point shot into a 7 point possession.
Idiot rockets decide HES the guy for their young players to learn from. At least he didn’t cost much . Oh wait .

Christian Wood to the Lakers, 2 years 5.7 million.

I love it! Talented player for a very low price.

Christian Wood to the Lakers, 2 years 5.7 million.

I love it! Talented player for a very low price.

Everybody gets excited when they first get Christian Wood because they have all seen the flashes in various games playing him, and the big numbers at times.

Then they get to watch him 82 games a year, and are ready to move on.

At that cost, its certainly not a terrible signing for the Lakers by any means. But there is also a reason that Wood is signing contracts that always seem great $ value and then is moved.

Everybody gets excited when they first get Christian Wood because they have all seen the flashes in various games playing him, and the big numbers at times.

At that cost, its certainly not a terrible signing for the Lakers by any means. But there is also a reason that Wood is signing contracts that always seem great $ value and then is moved.
he's pretty widely known as probably the worst locker room guy in the NBA. That is why nobody wants him

Lebron seems to do pretty well with these kinds of guys, though.

That and he is awful at defense. Other than that!
yeah and everybody will love the 9-10 Jaxson Hayes circus dunks/ blocks until they figure out he can't rebound/ defend or score either ( other than dunks) He also can't play the 5.

I don't think Hayes has improved one iota since he was drafted 4-5 years ago. It's freaking pathetic. Great athlete though and the only reason he ever made it to the NBA

Lebron seems to do pretty well with these kinds of guys, though.

He probably gets him a ton of open 3s, which he can make.

A lineup with Lebron, Wood, Reaves, and a few other shooters (Russell, Vincent?) would probably score a ton of points. And give up a ton of points as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom