2023 Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Depth Chart

Under current conditions, there will be 15 WRs next season.
To add more through the portal, at least one or two current guys are probably going to graduate or enter the portal.

That is a ton of returning experience, including young DL who have played early and will likely add strength in the off season.

Big needs - upgrade at WR and L-OT. Other units are solid with the returning players. TE is on the wish list.

I would use other roster spots that come open (via transfers out) for filling out the 2023 class. Success this season should turn a few heads.

That is a ton of returning experience, including young DL who have played early and will likely add strength in the off season.

Big needs - upgrade at WR and L-OT. Other units are solid with the returning players. TE is on the wish list.

I would use other roster spots that come open (via transfers out) for filling out the 2023 class. Success this season should turn a few heads.

Agreed (mostly) If we can get a real difference maker at C, TE, WR, great! If not use any additional slots on HS ers. We've been in contact with some real good looking flip opportunities.

Queeley, Greenwood, Nunn, Red would all be prime candidates.
Really interesting group of players.

I'm confused that we're not seeing more of Queeley. Probably best for him to take his degree and find an opportunity where he can shine on the field. It's tough. He's been an important part of the program.

Greenwood has limitations but he's improved over his time here and played a lot of snaps when there were no other legitimate options. Now he's buried.

Nunn at one point was splitting snaps with GW, got hurt, had some off field stuff to work through, and we've never really seen him since.

I hate speculating, but I thought at one time the staff had high hopes for Red. Was he maybe a guy that didn't quite fit when we made the change to Schmidt?

if seeing the field is top priority for any of these guys, they do feel like likely portal candidates.

I'm confused that we're not seeing more of Queeley. Probably best for him to take his degree and find an opportunity where he can shine on the field. It's tough. He's been an important part of the program.

Greenwood has limitations but he's improved over his time here and played a lot of snaps when there were no other legitimate options. Now he's buried.

Nunn at one point was splitting snaps with GW, got hurt, had some off field stuff to work through, and we've never really seen him since.

I hate speculating, but I thought at one time the staff had high hopes for Red. Was he maybe a guy that didn't quite fit when we made the change to Schmidt?

if seeing the field is top priority for any of these guys, they do feel like likely portal candidates.

After Spring Ball if the young WRs look good, I would not be surprised if one of Jones, Jackson, or Adams are not asked to leave.

I believe Red tore his achilles the spring before covid year. I think that we have become used to athletes bouncing back from major injuries, but maybe he has had a harder time, I'm not sure. I also remember people being high on him at a tackle spot in the past

I believe Red tore his achilles the spring before covid year. I think that we have become used to athletes bouncing back from major injuries, but maybe he has had a harder time, I'm not sure. I also remember people being high on him at a tackle spot in the past
Oh I didn't realize that, that is a huge bummer.

Nunn has had injury battles too.

McDonald is going to be in the Starting lineup somewhere. He has played well.

So has Lowery.

Competition is good -- may the best player win the starting role.

If Wax returns, and assuming Thompson bounces back [no reason to expect otherwise], we'll have two experienced / productive players competing for 1 available starting spot. Good "problem" to have.

I would be very surprised if any of those guys are asked to leave.

Same here. Jones especially. They seemed to really like him, won the starting job. I think he'll get a chance to return from injury. If it was a knee/ACL injury, maybe different story.

Maybe on Jackson. Adams has the wheels, so really depends if they think he can put the rest together. I have no idea. Would just seem odd to give up on him so quickly.

First of all, great job with the chart-A few tweaks/points:

• Parkman is a RB, not a WR.
  • You already have Sellers ahead of Morgan? That's cold, man : )
  • Will be very interesting to see who starts at LB next year. If Wax returns, I could see them switching him to Mike and letting the other guys who have gotten experience at OLB this year get those reps. On the other hand, Wax is great where he is and Roon and Mason have had flashes as well. Either way, I expect to see Mcdonald and Lowery (and possibly Sparrow) get a good amount of snaps again next year.
  • Would love to see Villari grab hold of the TE job-He is an excellent athlete and we could have some fun with him there. Not sure if he's willing to stay there or not.
  • OL is the biggest question mark and I wouldn't assume this year's depth chart totally tells the picture for next year. Pretty sure Bleich mentioned somewhere this would be his last year, though he could change his mind. I'm betting on Syracruz starting at LT.
  • Thrilled we will have Bowl practices to develop the underbelly of the team, particularly to start to get the OL ready for next year.
  • I am confident we'll keep at least one of Anae or Beck. The absolute key for next year is retaining Tony White.
  • Lots to be excited about going forward!

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if any of those guys are asked to leave.

Adams is already buried. Jackson I think moves back inside as is #2 behind Pena. Unless one of the young guys grab that from him. Even if they do I think Jackson has value. If OG moves back outside that could push Jones down. I do think Jones also has value so even if he isn't 2nd strong I think he stays.

Same here. Jones especially. They seemed to really like him, won the starting job. I think he'll get a chance to return from injury. If it was a knee/ACL injury, maybe different story.

Maybe on Jackson. Adams has the wheels, so really depends if they think he can put the rest together. I have no idea. Would just seem odd to give up on him so quickly.
The other thing to consider, Adams has already transferred. Moving now means he likely just loses a year of eligibility.

The other thing to consider, Adams has already transferred. Moving now means he likely just loses a year of eligibility.

If he graduates we don't owe him a roster spot even if he wants to come back.

First of all, great job with the chart-A few tweaks/points:

• Parkman is a RB, not a WR.
  • You already have Sellers ahead of Morgan? That's cold, man : )
  • Will be very interesting to see who starts at LB next year. If Wax returns, I could see them switching him to Mike and letting the other guys who have gotten experience at OLB this year get those reps. On the other hand, Wax is great where he is and Roon and Mason have had flashes as well. Either way, I expect to see Mcdonald and Lowery (and possibly Sparrow) get a good amount of snaps again next year.
  • Would love to see Villari grab hold of the TE job-He is an excellent athlete and we could have some fun with him there. Not sure if he's willing to stay there or not.
  • OL is the biggest question mark and I wouldn't assume this year's depth chart totally tells the picture for next year. Pretty sure Bleich mentioned somewhere this would be his last year, though he could change his mind. I'm betting on Syracruz starting at LT.
  • Thrilled we will have Bowl practices to develop the underbelly of the team, particularly to start to get the OL ready for next year.
  • I am confident we'll keep at least one of Anae or Beck. The absolute key for next year is retaining Tony White.
  • Lots to be excited about going forward!
Many good points here.

The Mike in the 3-3-5 requires a specific prototype to play the position well. Obviously, Jones is a model. I'm not sure how well Wax would fit that role, and I doubt that Thompson would be an option here.

To me, adding to the OL has to be the #1 focus for next season, especially at C and G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom