2023 Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Depth Chart

Tight End, for sure. That would strengthen TWO positional units, by enabling Gadsen to bolster the WR unit. Gadsen, Johnson, Pena, Alford, Jackson -- quality nucleus.

Not saying this to be argumentative just that, each year we think we have solid WR’s that will improve and be better next year. DB basically has been begging someone to step up to be a #2 guy and it just isn’t happening.

We’ve devoted so many scholarships to that position in the last few years with very little to show for it. I think Alford could be an absolute animal but will it happen, who the heck knows and I think that’s true for any of those guys. If there was a guy in the portal that could step in and instantly start I’d love the staff to take 1 WR.

Under current conditions, there will be 15 WRs next season.
To add more through the portal, at least one or two current guys are probably going to graduate or enter the portal.
There’s some dead weight in the receiver group.

Not saying this to be argumentative just that, each year we think we have solid WR’s that will improve and be better next year. DB basically has been begging someone to step up to be a #2 guy and it just isn’t happening.

We’ve devoted so many scholarships to that position in the last few years with very little to show for it. I think Alford could be an absolute animal but will it happen, who the heck knows and I think that’s true for any of those guys. If there was a guy in the portal that could step in and instantly start I’d love the staff to take 1 WR.

Johnson got injured. He looked fantastic before that play occurred against Purdue -- his injury was a huge loss, as we now see. Kid is a legit #2 [and possibly #1] option. Alford has also flashed. Ditto Pena.

I'm not just throwing a penny into the wishing well here -- there's legit talent. Donovan Brown looked terrific in the spring game, as well, as a kid who showed up on campus early.

Has Brown played at all? We are a game away from all on deck with the new rules as well for anyone who hasnt seen the field.
Good point. Might be a late season guy we get a glimpse of.

Johnson got injured. He looked fantastic before that play occurred against Purdue -- his injury was a huge loss, as we now see. Kid is a legit #2 [and possibly #1] option. Alford has also flashed. Ditto Pena.

I'm not just throwing a penny into the wishing well here -- there's legit talent. Donovan Brown looked terrific in the spring game, as well, as a kid who showed up on campus early.
I assume you mean Isaiah Jones and I agree.
Jackson is better served inside and maybe he moves there with Cooper moving on.
I like Brown to mix in some next year, probably in the slot.
If Hatcher can put on 5 more pounds that would be awesome and I like him to start getting in the rotation. Not sure if it will be at slot or on the outside but i'd guess outside.
But if we can get a WR in the portal that is more proven and has a good shot at starting I think we should take him. We may get that opportunity with this offense, a proven starting QB and good back-up QB prospects. But we should not take any flier WR prospects like Hayes and Adams.

Last edited:
I assume you mean Isaiah Jones and I agree.
Jackson is better served inside and maybe he moves there with Cooper moving on.
I like Brown to mix in some next year, probably in the slot.
Hatcher can put on 5 more pounds I like him to start getting in the rotation, not sure if it will be at slot or on the outside but i'd guess outside.
But if we can get a WR in the portal that is more proved and has a good shot at starting I think we should take him. We may get that opportunity with this offense, a proven starting QB and good back-up QB prospects. But we should not take any flier WR prospects like Hayes and Adams.

Yes -- my bad, multi-tasking at work while typing. Isaiah Jones.

Really think OL is the major concern next year. I really think we could use transfers at C, G and T. Lots of players moving on it seems and i'm unsure of how much replacement talent we have. We have both Tackles leaving. That is a major concern. I'm optimistic Enrique Cruz will be good but we obviously have no on field proof yet which is kind of scary. Especially puting him in instantly at LT as opposed to starting out at RT. Not sure getting a solid Tackle in the portal would be very easy though. I think it would be wise to move Vet to RT and hopefully get a decent C. I think I like Vet and think he is decent but I like him at RT a bit better. Feel like that would fill a huge need without it being a disaster. We all know he seems to get quite a few penalties at C as well. I don't think he's been bad at C though but I think he played better at Tackle in 2021 than he has at Center in both seasons. Seems like getting a Center would be an easier portal get to me but who knows.

I'm really not all that optimistic Red is going to end up doing much here at this point unfortunately. I like that Joe Cruz has been on the two deep. Hoeh at FB has not been great so I'm not all that thrilled about his short term prospects at playing on the OL.

Many good points here.

The Mike in the 3-3-5 requires a specific prototype to play the position well. Obviously, Jones is a model. I'm not sure how well Wax would fit that role, and I doubt that Thompson would be an option here.

To me, adding to the OL has to be the #1 focus for next season, especially at C and G.

Sounds like message board folklore. Takes intelligence, athleticism and grit. I think Wax would be fine if they chose to move him there

We know we are gonna lose Tucker, Williams, Bergeron, Jones to the NFL.

We have our recruiting class coming in. Then it almost feels like a proven recruiting class coming in with all the season ending injuries we had.

If Elmore comes back with Thompson, Jaquez, Isaiah Jones, etc…it’s gonna feel like some reinforcements of good players coming back, on top of the recruiting class we have coming in lol

Plus we have a lot of proven players coming back. We need to keep our coordinators. And after last season I’m fully confident in Dino and the recruiting/portal. He has a hell of an off season and it’s obviously showing.

If we can do that again this off-season we are looking good for another great season next year. We have a lot of really good players next year and I’m sure we’ll add a couple more through the portal and I’m sure a couple of the freshman will surprise like they do every year, on top of what we having coming back and coming back from injury…could be a reallyyyyy good team.

But not to get head off ourselves and this season. Enjoy this season first! Lol

the key will be to rebuild the OL. it was the biggest thing(on field-wise) that killed us in 2019. we have a lot of talent coming back, we don't want to squander that. get some good transfer help on the line and we have a great chance to, gasp, go bowling for two straight years.

the key will be to rebuild the OL. it was the biggest thing(on field-wise) that killed us in 2019. we have a lot of talent coming back, we don't want to squander that. get some good transfer help on the line and we have a great chance to, gasp, go bowling for two straight years.
I think that's right. Anae and Beck will make the QB/RB/WR work with whatever they have. The OL needs to have the horses. We might have them, we just don't know. Not a bad idea to put more horses in the stable.

And we need to string together bowl appearances.

The schedule next season certainly looks like it's set up for us to accomplish that.

We know we are gonna lose Tucker, Williams, Bergeron, Jones to the NFL.

We have our recruiting class coming in. Then it almost feels like a proven recruiting class coming in with all the season ending injuries we had.

If Elmore comes back with Thompson, Jaquez, Isaiah Jones, etc…it’s gonna feel like some reinforcements of good players coming back, on top of the recruiting class we have coming in lol

Plus we have a lot of proven players coming back. We need to keep our coordinators. And after last season I’m fully confident in Dino and the recruiting/portal. He has a hell of an off season and it’s obviously showing.

If we can do that again this off-season we are looking good for another great season next year. We have a lot of really good players next year and I’m sure we’ll add a couple more through the portal and I’m sure a couple of the freshman will surprise like they do every year, on top of what we having coming back and coming back from injury…could be a reallyyyyy good team.

But not to get head off ourselves and this season. Enjoy this season first! Lol

That's why it was SO MEGA IMPORTANT to get to a bowl this year. We need to be able to demonstrate sustained success, to change the national perception and give the coaches something even MORE positive to sell on the recruiting trail.

Agree 144% ** that the recruiting class we'll look to sign in December seems very solid. If we can duplicate what we did after that -- landing a few transfers, flipping some high potential recruits -- we're going to be in great shape.

QB room is loaded for the foreseeable future, which is pivotal. And while we have some areas where we can improve, the depth we've built is evident this year, with quality players filling in for injured ones. Need to sustain the momentum, and we will.

Having the extra bowl practices will benefit the young nucleus on the roster, and position is to capitalize on next year's easier schedule.

11-1 is still in play -- why not swing for the fences! And if we follow up with another 9+ win season -- which seems achievable -- then Syracuse football will be poised for a big run under Dino Babers.

** Citations / royalties to 721comstock

I thought Dom Foster moved to WR - did he end up switching back to defense? or did I just imagine that whole thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom