2023 Depth Chart | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Depth Chart

Purdue will have a brand new QB and no more Charlie Jones. The are losing Payne Durham. Glad we got them in our house this year.
Army at West Point? Yeah my son and I are going to need to plan on heading to that one.

Johnson got injured. He looked fantastic before that play occurred against Purdue -- his injury was a huge loss, as we now see. Kid is a legit #2 [and possibly #1] option. Alford has also flashed. Ditto Pena.

I'm not just throwing a penny into the wishing well here -- there's legit talent. Donovan Brown looked terrific in the spring game, as well, as a kid who showed up on campus early.

I forgot about Jones. Like I said, I think Alford can be a stud but whether it happens, who knows. I like Peña but I feel like we don’t get him involved as much, so then I’m left wondering if it’s scheme or coaches don’t think he can get it done on a regular basis.

Maybe we have more talent than I’m giving credit for. I honestly don’t know. I still wouldn’t mind the new staff finding a WR they like and bringing them in.

We need high end P5 WR's that can contribute to a Top 25 team if that's what we want to be next year. That our #2 is a combo of Cooper/Jackson/Pena is almost unbelievable. Although eternally hopeful, I'm not confident in seeing some huge jump from any of them next year. I really wanted Alford to step up and seize the opportunity (based upon his measurables and flashes) but it just hasn't happened. Maybe I. Jones can step into the role.

With all that is returning on this team, I really would love to see a new WR on the roster with a proven track record, if that is available.

We know we are gonna lose Tucker, Williams, Bergeron, Jones to the NFL.

We have our recruiting class coming in. Then it almost feels like a proven recruiting class coming in with all the season ending injuries we had.

If Elmore comes back with Thompson, Jaquez, Isaiah Jones, etc…it’s gonna feel like some reinforcements of good players coming back, on top of the recruiting class we have coming in lol

Plus we have a lot of proven players coming back. We need to keep our coordinators. And after last season I’m fully confident in Dino and the recruiting/portal. He has a hell of an off season and it’s obviously showing.

If we can do that again this off-season we are looking good for another great season next year. We have a lot of really good players next year and I’m sure we’ll add a couple more through the portal and I’m sure a couple of the freshman will surprise like they do every year, on top of what we having coming back and coming back from injury…could be a reallyyyyy good team.

But not to get head off ourselves and this season. Enjoy this season first! Lol
It’s hard losing these four guys. They are probably the most talented foursome we’ve had in years. We have some answers for the two defensive players. Not so much with the two offensive guys.

I suspect if we keep doing what we’ve been doing, we will finish the season ranked and start next year ranked. Huge opportunity for the program. I certainly think next years schedule appears easier than this years did at the beginning of the year. Like the roster moving forward and suspect Dr Bob will target some areas of concern in the off season.

Just like to add, we all know Tucker is our best player but he hasn’t been utilized as expected this year. He’s certainly a major loss, but the offense has molded into something different. I don’t think this offense relies as much on a top tier RB to be successful. I agree with other posters that another outside threat alongside Orande is more important.

Is greenwood healthy. Is he even dressed?
He hasn’t made an appearance this year, at least according to my log (which I compile from the post game info, so take it for what it is.)

First of all, great job with the chart-A few tweaks/points:

• Parkman is a RB, not a WR.
  • You already have Sellers ahead of Morgan? That's cold, man : )
  • Will be very interesting to see who starts at LB next year. If Wax returns, I could see them switching him to Mike and letting the other guys who have gotten experience at OLB this year get those reps. On the other hand, Wax is great where he is and Roon and Mason have had flashes as well. Either way, I expect to see Mcdonald and Lowery (and possibly Sparrow) get a good amount of snaps again next year.
  • Would love to see Villari grab hold of the TE job-He is an excellent athlete and we could have some fun with him there. Not sure if he's willing to stay there or not.
  • OL is the biggest question mark and I wouldn't assume this year's depth chart totally tells the picture for next year. Pretty sure Bleich mentioned somewhere this would be his last year, though he could change his mind. I'm betting on Syracruz starting at LT.
  • Thrilled we will have Bowl practices to develop the underbelly of the team, particularly to start to get the OL ready for next year.
  • I am confident we'll keep at least one of Anae or Beck. The absolute key for next year is retaining Tony White.
  • Lots to be excited about going forward!
The Beck's seem to like it here. Seemed they even enjoyed some of the snow, but they haven't really lived through it yet. Not sure how loyal Beck/Anae are to Mendenhall if he takes another gig.

The Beck's seem to like it here. Seemed they even enjoyed some of the snow, but they haven't really lived through it yet. Not sure how loyal Beck/Anae are to Mendenhall if he takes another gig.
And hopefully Beck didn’t get undeserved heat for the timeout fiasco.

We need high end P5 WR's that can contribute to a Top 25 team if that's what we want to be next year. That our #2 is a combo of Cooper/Jackson/Pena is almost unbelievable. Although eternally hopeful, I'm not confident in seeing some huge jump from any of them next year. I really wanted Alford to step up and seize the opportunity (based upon his measurables and flashes) but it just hasn't happened. Maybe I. Jones can step into the role.

With all that is returning on this team, I really would love to see a new WR on the roster with a proven track record, if that is available.

2018 we had 4 guys. It was Custis's turn to be the defacto #1 and he came close to 1000 yards but we were pretty balanced him Riley, Nykeim and Taj all had over 40 receptions.

We absolutely have to get back to that next year. I think we can do it if we just add 1 guy that is proven.

1 - OG who is kind of a TE to begin with being used more like one
2- I Jones
3- Newcomer slot guy with a lot of targets
4- Alford

Pena will be in the mix and returning kicks.

I think that is a very good group.

2018 we had 4 guys. It was Custis's turn to be the defacto #1 and he came close to 1000 yards but we were pretty balanced him Riley, Nykeim and Taj all had over 40 receptions.

We absolutely have to get back to that next year. I think we can do it if we just add 1 guy that is proven.

1 - OG who is kind of a TE to begin with being used more like one
2- I Jones
3- Newcomer slot guy with a lot of targets
4- Alford

Pena will be in the mix and returning kicks.

I think that is a very good group.

I rather get an outside guy and keep using OG inside.

So...

Outside WRs
1. ???/Hatcher
2. Jones/Alford

Inside WRs
1. OG/Villari
2. Pena/Jackson

I rather get an outside guy and keep using OG inside.

So...

Outside WRs
1. ???/Hatcher
2. Jones/Alford

Inside WRs
1. OG/Villari
2. Pena/Jackson
I really dont see OG as an outside guy.. Not a ton of burst, but he runs smooth routes and is good at getting to where he wants to be.. He does not get jammed or covered much by top end DBs either where is now. if He moves outside now he runs much different routes and will be covered more often in press and who knows how that turns out.

Glad the MOB will still be in force. Our defense is going to be nasty again.

If we can sell another 10,000-15,000 season tickets and give that D a crazy loud crowd for every big game next year we should win all/most of our home games.

Colgate, Western Michigan, Army, Boston College, Clemson, Pitt, Wake Forest should be an attractive slate.

Pitt plays well in the Dome unfortunately and I don't think Hartman will leave for the NFL so we have to deal with him its a tough schedule with 5 P5 road games none of UNC, GT, Purdue, FSU, or VT are going to be easy. Have we even played either of GT or UNC on the road since we joined the ACC?

Do you think there is a world that Sean Tucker stays for one more year? I think no reason for him to stay, but wild to think he has 2 MORE years of eligibility left.
Maybe Weitsman can convince him ?

If we can sell another 10,000-15,000 season tickets and give that D a crazy loud crowd for every big game next year we should win all/most of our home games.

Colgate, Western Michigan, Army, Boston College, Clemson, Pitt, Wake Forest should be an attractive slate.

Pitt plays well in the Dome unfortunately and I don't think Hartman will leave for the NFL so we have to deal with him its a tough schedule with 5 P5 road games none of UNC, GT, Purdue, FSU, or VT are going to be easy. Have we even played either of GT or UNC on the road since we joined the ACC?
Licking my chops at next years schedule. If we retain our coaching staff, pretty confident we’re bowling again.

I forgot about Jones. Like I said, I think Alford can be a stud but whether it happens, who knows. I like Peña but I feel like we don’t get him involved as much, so then I’m left wondering if it’s scheme or coaches don’t think he can get it done on a regular basis.

Maybe we have more talent than I’m giving credit for. I honestly don’t know. I still wouldn’t mind the new staff finding a WR they like and bringing them in.
If Jackson stays let him replace Pena on KR, and PR. Pena in less time on the field has been more productive as a receiver.
He catches the ball, gets open, and could be a Phillips type in the slot.

Still comprehending the Clemson loss and thinking about this 2023 roster is helping me cope. This is allowing me to see what we need to attack in the portal. Let me know what I got wrong. There is a lot to be excited about for next year.

Losses to NFL:
Sean Tucker
Mikel Jones
Garrett Williams
Matthew Bergeron

Seniors Graduating:
Dakota Davis
Eric Coley
CJ Hayes
DeVaughn Cooper
Darius Tisdale
Aaron Bolinsky

Transfer Portal Needs:
Wide Receiver
Tight End
Offensive Line
Defensive Tackle
Linebacker

QB:
Garrett Shrader (Sr.)
Carlos Del Rio Wilson (R-So.)
Justin Lamson (R-So.)
LaNorris Sellers (Fr.)
JaCobian Morgan (R-So.)

RB:
LeQuint Allen (So.)
Juwaun Price (R-Jr.)
Ike Daniels (Fr.)
(This assumes Tucker goes to NFL, but he will be a Jr. next year)

TE:
Oronde Gadsen II (Jr.)
Max Mang (Jr.)
Steven Mahar (Jr.)
Dan Villari (R-So.)
Daid Clement (Fr.)
(Possibly Chris Elmore)

WR:
Damien Alford (Jr.)
Isaiah Jones (R-Jr.)
Courtney Jackson (R-Jr.)
Umari Hatcher (R-So.)
D'Marcus Adams (R-Sr.)
Trebor Pena (Jr.)
Kendall Long (R-So.)
Anthony Queeley (R-Sr.)
Donovan Brown (R-Fr.)
Muwffaq Parkman (Fr.)
Bryce Cohoon (Fr.)

LT:
Mark Petry (R-So.) (Bergeron will be a senior, but he will be off to the NFL)
Wes Hoeh (R-So.)
Austyn Kauhi (R-So.)
Joe Cruz (R-Fr.)
Chad Schuster (R-Fr.)

LG:
Kalan Ellis (Jr.)
Jakob Bradford (R-Jr.)
Anthony Red (R-Jr.)

C:
Carlos Vettorello (R-Sr.)
Josh Ilaoa (Jr.)* (I wonder if Josh may be redshirting this year. Anyone know how many games he has played in?)

RG:
Chris Bleich (R-Sr.)
Joe Cruz (R-Fr.)
Jayden Bass (Fr.)

RT:
Enrique Cruz (R-So.)
Tyler Magnuson (R-So.)

DE:

Caleb Okechukwu (R-Sr.)
Steven Linton (R-Jr.)
Jatius Geer (R-So.)
Kevin Jobity (So.)
Chase Simmons (R-So.)
Denis Jacquez (So.)
Francois Nolton (R-Fr.)
Rashard Perry (Fr.)
Jalil Smith (Fr.)

DT:
Terry Lockett (R-So.) (I believe Terry can redshirt this year since he played in 3 games, so he will be a R-So.)
Kevon Darton (R-Jr.)
Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff (R-So.)
Belizarre Basset (R-Fr.)
Josh Hough (R-So.)
Garth Barclay (R-So.)
Ahmad Masood (R-So.)

LOLB:
Marlowe Wax (R-Jr.)
Derek McDonald (R-So.)
Anwar Sparrow (R-So.)

MLB:
Austin Roon (R-So.) (Mikel Jones will be a senior, but he will be off to the NFL)
Mekhi Mason (R-Fr.)
Zyian Moultrie-Goddard (Fr.)

ROLB:
Stefon Thompson (R-So.)
Leon Lowery (R-So.)
Kadin Bailey (R-Fr.)

CB:
Duce Chestnut (Jr.) (Garrett Williams will be a senior, but he will be off to the NFL)
Jeremiah Wilson (So.)
Isaiah Johnson (R-Sr.)
Neil Nunn (R-Jr.)
Quan Peterson (R-Fr.)
Dom Foster (R-Fr.)
Aman Greenwod (R-Jr.)
Malcolm Folk (R-So.)
Cornell Perry (R-Fr.)

BS:
Ja'Had Carter (Jr.)
Jason Simmons (Sr.)

ROV:
Justin Barron (Jr.)
Rob Hanna (Jr.)

FS:
Alijah Clarke (Jr.)
Bralyn Oliver (R-So.)

Kicker:
Brady Denaburg (So.)
James Williams (R-So) (I believe James can probably redshirt this year since he hasn't played in 4 games)

Punter:
Max Von Mar Burg

Kick Returner:
Trebor Pena (Jr.)
Courtney Jackson (R-Jr.)
Thank you very much for doing this. I believe we have two commits at RB for next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom