2023 Men's Div I Bracket | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Men's Div I Bracket

May 20 | Albany
Duke vs Michigan
Virginia vs Georgetown

May 21 | Annapolis
Notre Dame vs Hopkins
Penn St vs Army

Partly credit to PSU but man Princeton really fell apart in the 3rd. Played way too much defense and couldn't figure out that zone. Stevens is a fun player to watch, that should end up being a great pickup for the Orange next year.
Stevens definitely has some shake. That’ll be a great addition to Cuse’s midfield.

LoL

A027AE47-241F-4453-8767-B48C37300BA6.jpeg

Shellenberger is shooting his outside shot well today - 2 goals in first minute.

Shellenberger adds a 3rd outside shot - UVa up 5-2

Wahoos up 7-4 end of first - Shellenberger up to 4 goals.

Last edited:
16-12 UVa in the 4th a 6th goal for Shellenberger

17-12 UVa 3 minutes to go. Warm up the bus for Georgetown.

Last edited:
Wish that Tucker Dordevic made it to the final four. Was fun watching him for what felt like 8 years

16-12 UVa in the 4th a 6th goal for Shellenberger

17-12 UVa 3 minutes to go. Warm up the bus for Georgetown.

10 points for Shellenberger. Looks like the Tewaraton committee made the right choice to include him in their top five after all.

Curious how Georgetown looks next year. They lose a ton of players including two starting attackmen, two starting middies, starting fogo, starting goalie and their top cover defender. They lose their top four leading scorers from this year.

Will they load up again in the transfer portal? Can they draw the same sort of talent given that they don’t have the same stature that they did last year? Says a lot that they made the quarter finals this year after their rough start, but obviously expectations were much higher.

10 points for Shellenberger. Looks like the Tewaraton committee made the right choice to include him in their top five after all.

Curious how Georgetown looks next year. They lose a ton of players including two starting attackmen, two starting middies, starting fogo, starting goalie and their top cover defender. They lose their top four leading scorers from this year.

Will they load up again in the transfer portal? Can they draw the same sort of talent given that they don’t have the same stature that they did last year? Says a lot that they made the quarter finals this year after their rough start, but obviously expectations were much higher.
Georgetown does seem to be a top transfer attractor. Acquiring transfers can be a little fickle though.

Yeah looking at their roster it appears like they do lose a ton, although I'm never sure who has the extra covid year if they take it. Think they need more of the defensive side of the field, but maybe part of that was watching them against Virginia who obviously has a fantastic offense. Not sure how Syracuse's schedule is going to shake out the next few seasons but would love to see the Hoyas back on it, at least for a home/home.

Just one more random thought, but outside of Georgetown, the rest of the quarterfinal teams return a ton of talent. Out of the 32 players picked in the PLL draft just 8 were from the teams left in the tournament (25%). Just one was taken in the first round (McConvey, last pick). Obviously that’s not the only indicator (players like Wilson Stephenson, Knox Dent, Garett Degnon etc. weren’t drafted but are done with eligibility), but it’s still pretty telling in regards to how many good teams there will be next year.

I think that’s another argument for SU to be selectively aggressive in the transfer portal. To really challenge for the final four or championship they are going to have to leapfrog a lot of teams next year.

Ehhh almost all his points were in easy situations. All his goals except one dodge on a short stick were wide open shots. None of his assists were off of drawing slides or skip passes in a tight spot. Points don’t always tell the whole story. Twitter always fawns over a large point number but he was more of a finisher today. Minicus however was a total psycho. Never seen anyone torch Saustad and Kaestner that many times.

Just one more random thought, but outside of Georgetown, the rest of the quarterfinal teams return a ton of talent. Out of the 32 players picked in the PLL draft just 8 were from the teams left in the tournament (25%). Just one was taken in the first round (McConvey, last pick). Obviously that’s not the only indicator (players like Wilson Stephenson, Knox Dent, Garett Degnon etc. weren’t drafted but are done with eligibility), but it’s still pretty telling in regards to how many good teams there will be next year.

I think that’s another argument for SU to be selectively aggressive in the transfer portal. To really challenge for the final four or championship they are going to have to leapfrog a lot of teams next year.
During the two games today, I watched all four teams' ssdms closely. Duke and UVA both ran out 3 or 4 who were either big fast very athletic underclassmen or seasoned excellent fast upperclassmen who could hold the other teams best attacks after big little hand offs without giving up either goals or great passes. McGuire of Duke and was one example, a freshman who made several good plays. Georgetown and Michigan could not take advantage while UVA and Duke could abuse their ssdms. Big factors in their success. More evidence that you cannot get by with mediocre dms. Most of the good ones for the winners were exceptional offensive mids in hs. I do not think SU can decide to employ their best freshmen most athletic offensive mids as second line offensive players. I think UVA might make a player like Rhoa into a dm during his first year. Of course they have many more great freshman recruits than SU, so it would be easier for them. I always run into that great wall of recruiting when thinking about this stuff.

UVA and Duke were dominating today. Man are they big and fast.

The games were not very exciting today, I hope tomorrow is better! Would like to see Army get it done tomorrow. Notre Lame and Hop there is no winner that would feel good in that one. State Penn, UVa, Duke and Irish or Blowjays would be a disgusting final four. Go Army!

Last edited:
Honestly would love nothing more then to see penn state or army hoist trophy at end. Sadly they play each other but would love for one of them to win for change. Penn state is second to syracuse as my whole family is penn state fans specially my father who watches everything of penn state even woman’s volleyball to woman’s crew. Dude is dedicated for sure, and love for him see penn state not only make first ever chip appearance. While also winning first chip in hometown of philly be great day for my dad. So i’m rooting for penn state (tho don’t think there chances are very good). But can’t deny army playing on memorial day for chip on day honoring them and all the services that fight and sacrifice for our country is a bigger and better story line. So besides one of those two teams winning it all have to say uva is only other team wouldn’t mind that much if won. As i’ve stated before i’m big fan of lars he’s hell of a coach great funny dude and recruited me back in my playing days. Duke and notre dame and hop crash and burn.

Honestly would love nothing more then to see penn state or army hoist trophy at end. Sadly they play each other but would love for one of them to win for change. Penn state is second to syracuse as my whole family is penn state fans specially my father who watches everything of penn state even woman’s volleyball to woman’s crew. Dude is dedicated for sure, and love for him see penn state not only make first ever chip appearance. While also winning first chip in hometown of philly be great day for my dad. So i’m rooting for penn state (tho don’t think there chances are very good). But can’t deny army playing on memorial day for chip on day honoring them and all the services that fight and sacrifice for our country is a bigger and better story line. So besides one of those two teams winning it all have to say uva is only other team wouldn’t mind that much if won. As i’ve stated before i’m big fan of lars he’s hell of a coach great funny dude and recruited me back in my playing days. Duke and notre dame and hop crash and burn.
Would certainly be interesting to have Army play on Memorial Day. Might draw a bigger TV audience and grow the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom