2023 NY Mets thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Scherzer yikes. Maybe we don't have two aces. At this rate we may find we have zero.
Was really disappointed when Max, knowing how desperately his team needed him with a bunch of their top starters out, pushed that rogue ump to the point where he got a 10 game suspension.

He is all about himself. Was crappy again today, hanging just shout every breaking pitch he made. The Tigers are not a good offensive team but he made them look terrific.

You would think he could have at least made some adjustments at some point to get on track. Nope.

Hope Verlander has a good game tomorrow. It is May 3rd. I have watched just about every exhibition and regular season game televised (almost all of them) and I have only saw Justin pitch in a Mets uniform once. He looked awful and got bombed just before the regular season started. That led to him getting put on the IL.

The Big 2 have been less than awesome so far.

One small piece of good news: that's a much better patch on the arm. It's tight to the writing and in the team's colors.

So the Mets gave up 5 home runs to guys who had hit a total of 1 home run all season and lost their first double header since 2020, (they'd gone 25 in a row without getting swept), to a team that came in 10-17 to fall into a tie for second place with the Miami Marlins at 16-15, 5 games behind the Braves. Their starting staff has the worst ERA at this point of the season since - you guessed it - the 1962 Mets. And it's 43 degrees and raining outside on May 3rd.

So the Mets gave up 5 home runs to guys who had hit a total of 1 home run all season and lost their first double header since 2020, (they'd gone 25 in a row without getting swept), to a team that came in 10-17 to fall into a tie for second place with the Miami Marlins at 16-15, 5 games behind the Braves. Their starting staff has the worst ERA at this point of the season since - you guessed it - the 1962 Mets. And it's 43 degrees and raining outside on May 3rd.

Verlander gives up two more in the first.. one to Haase - same guy in your example and another to a guy with 2 on the year to date.

Verlander was Verlander after that but the Met's line-up was my old little league team. And Nimmo lost his mind, getting thrown out for the second out of the 9th inning, down two runs.

And that enabled both Gary Cohen and Todd Zeile to repeat my least favorite baseball phrase, "his run doesn't mean anything". If your run would get us within one so the next guy can tie it up, your run means a lot and that's why you can't get thrown out trying to steal second when that's going to give you a minimal advantage even if you make it. You've got to stay alive in the bases to score that run. Your run doesn't mean anything if it's the bottom of the 9th and the guy ahead of you on the bases is the winning run.

Drives me nuts every time I hear it.

Nimmo said he was trying to get out of the double play and give our big guys a runner in scoring position. Showalter attributed it to trying too hard because the team is struggling.

That 7-1 road trip, (that became 7-3), seems like a long time ago. The Mets have now lost 9 of their last 11 games.

It was encouraging to see Verlander look like a MLB pitcher. We haven't see a starter look good in a while.

Looks like everyone is trying to hit homeruns and trying too hard.

That was a brutal hitting performance against a really bad team. Rodriquez is a good junk baller that we made look like Cy Young. The home plate ump must be a big fan because he gave him a lot of questionable calls. Sigh.

Vientos continues to destroy AAA pitching for Syracuse. There is no easy way to get him on the roster but the Mets might need to find a way. He is getting really hard to ignore.

Canha's defense in LF is really bad. His arm is horrific and his range is really limited.

Three game home stand against the Rockies next.

Mets have Senga, Megill and TBD pitching. That TBD could be Reyes (God forbid), Carrasco, Peterson, or Butto. Butto pitched a couple of innings in relief yesterday so he seems unlikely. Lucchesi and Scherzer would be pitching with 3 days rest so I am ruling them out. Peterson is probably going to be down a while and will need to show he has things under control before he gets called up.

My guess is Carrasco.

Brace for impact.

It was encouraging to see Verlander look like a MLB pitcher. We haven't see a starter look good in a while.

Looks like everyone is trying to hit homeruns and trying too hard.

That was a brutal hitting performance against a really bad team. Rodriquez is a good junk baller that we made look like Cy Young. The home plate ump must be a big fan because he gave him a lot of questionable calls. Sigh.

Vientos continues to destroy AAA pitching for Syracuse. There is no easy way to get him on the roster but the Mets might need to find a way. He is getting really hard to ignore.

Canha's defense in LF is really bad. His arm is horrific and his range is really limited.

Three game home stand against the Rockies next.

Mets have Senga, Megill and TBD pitching. That TBD could be Reyes (God forbid), Carrasco, Peterson, or Butto. Butto pitched a couple of innings in relief yesterday so he seems unlikely. Lucchesi and Scherzer would be pitching with 3 days rest so I am ruling them out. Peterson is probably going to be down a while and will need to show he has things under control before he gets called up.

My guess is Carrasco.

Brace for impact.

What does Canha give us again? He's usually Cannot.

Waiting for the decision on the rain-out, I got to watching a series of "Amazin' finishes". The one for 2012 was kind of poignant because of the names: David Wright shines at third, Matt Harvey makes his debut. "The Hard-Throwing" Bobby Parnell is in the bullpen. ...

You forgot his first name.

Much like that famous Syracuse guard, "The Walk-On" Justin Thomas.

It’s so bad… why not let Mauricio play 2nd and move to McNeil to right field? What am I missing?

Canha plays left - I assume you'd be moving Marte there?

1 run today… luckily it was enough for the w.

How long will they let the offense go like this.

Nido brings nothing at the plate now.. So when the other guy comes back they have to decide what to do there.

Marte costs too much to cut but you could try to trade him and eat some salary I suppose.
Canha is a 1 yr deal so I suspect they dont pick up that option.

Vientos can he play outfield at all? We dont need elite but we need something hitting wise.

Me I move Vogelbech you might get some return on him. Use Baty/Alverez as the DH at times and play him most of the time at 3rd

Defense is great but not when you are scoring 2 runs a game.

Nido brings nothing at the plate now.. So when the other guy comes back they have to decide what to do there.

Marte costs too much to cut but you could try to trade him and eat some salary I suppose.
Canha is a 1 yr deal so I suspect they dont pick up that option.

Vientos can he play outfield at all? We dont need elite but we need something hitting wise.

Me I move Vogelbech you might get some return on him. Use Baty/Alverez as the DH at times and play him most of the time at 3rd

Defense is great but not when you are scoring 2 runs a game.

I wouldn't give up on Marte, who has been a very good offensive player in his career. If he hadn't gotten hurt last year, I don't think the Braves catch us.

This team is awful. Was at the game today. They're just bad from the arms to the bats. Frank the Tank was so loud that you could hear him yelling from the handicap section.

Another ugly loss. Megill struggled all game long. Seems lost, like pretty much everyone else.

All the hitters also seem lost. It is quite unfortunate.

Carracco was supposed to come back to the rotation today but he apparently has an illness and will not pitch. That left the Mets in a quandary. Looks like they are going to start Lucchesi, who got bombed his last start, on 3 days rest. Not optimistic this is going to go well.

I am beginning to think the hitting and pitching coaches are not the answer.

The guy the Rockies are starting today is wild. Should give the Mets some chances to draw walks and get runners on base. I hope they finally come out of this team wide hitting slump today.

Another ugly loss. Megill struggled all game long. Seems lost, like pretty much everyone else.

All the hitters also seem lost. It is quite unfortunate.

Carracco was supposed to come back to the rotation today but he apparently has an illness and will not pitch. That left the Mets in a quandary. Looks like they are going to start Lucchesi, who got bombed his last start, on 3 days rest. Not optimistic this is going to go well.

I am beginning to think the hitting and pitching coaches are not the answer.

The guy the Rockies are starting today is wild. Should give the Mets some chances to draw walks and get runners on base. I hope they finally come out of this team wide hitting slump today.

Yeah they may need to make some coaching changes asap. Another disastrous outing. After today 1 game under .500 but team looks like a bottom feeder not even a playoff contender right now. Feels like this could spiral further and quickly.

Yeah they may need to make some coaching changes asap. Another disastrous outing. After today 1 game under .500 but team looks like a bottom feeder not even a playoff contender right now. Feels like this could spiral further and quickly.
It feels like things are caving in right now. Close to a total collapse.

I think Lucchesi could he a contributor in a Trevor Williams like long relief role with maybe a spot start every month or so. He shouldn’t be starting every fifth game.

I think Butto has some of the best stuff in the organization and he again isn’t even in the staff. Hard to understand.

The starters struggle to get through 5 innings every damn game. Way too much reliance on AAA level relievers like Boom Boom Yacabonis, Reyes, Nogosek, Santana, Brigham, Hunter, etc. Need more pitchers with MLB stuff.

Vogelbach getting caught wandering off second base is so typical of this team. Lots of bonehead mental errors. Seems like we have 4 or 5 players take a pitch right down the middle with two strikes every game.

Really need the veterans to start providing 7 or more quality innings start after start. Menga did it and then back to garbage starts again.

Peterson has struggled in AAA so far. Mets signed. Dylan Bundy and put him in Syracuse, where he has been exceptionally awful. ERA in the 12 range. No fastball, no control, no sign of any remaining talent whatsoever. Please release him.

Get rid of the talentless garbage on the staff and call up Hartwig, Walker and Nunez. They are gonna be wild and unpredictable but at least they have talent and might be successful.

Vientos had his 10th HR and 10th 2B today. Call him up. Release the garbage and release with talent. Vogelbach, Pham, Escobar, Guillorme….don’t care. Let’s give the young guys a chance.

I was at the ballpark today and the Smets lost in similar fashion to the parent club, 4-8 with a 5 run 5th featurign onsecutive home runs the big inning. But it was a beautiful day at the ball park and I got four chicken tenders instead of the usual three and extra fries as well, so it wasn't a bad day.

Vientos had a double and a long home run. On the radio, Michael Tricarico noted that Vientos, a right=handed hitter, had hit 9 of his 10 home runs off right-handed pitchers. He said that people were suggesting he could be the NYMets DH against lefties. Why not make him the Met's DH period. It made since.

Make Vientos the full-time DH. Put McNeil in left field and Mauricio at second. Now your line up is Alvarez catching, Alonso at first, Maurico at second, Lindor at short, Baty at third and McNeil, Nimmo and Marte in the outfield with Vientos as DH. That's a train that could move.

The team is pretty close to unwatchable right now, the pitching is awful, the lineup is what it is.

Step 1: fire eppler for putting together the worst $400mm roster in the history of sports outside of Chelsea Football Club 2022-2023 season.

Step 2: Trade Voglebach, Nido, Verlander, Marte, Max, Canha, Robertson, Raley, Ottavino for pitching and outfield prospects or chewing gum.

Step 3: DFA Escobar

Step 4: DFA Escobar again just to be sure

Step 5: call up Mauricio and Vientos

Step 1: fire eppler for putting together the worst $400mm roster in the history of sports outside of Chelsea Football Club 2022-2023 season.

Step 2: Trade Voglebach, Nido, Verlander, Marte, Max, Canha, Robertson, Raley, Ottavino for pitching and outfield prospects or chewing gum.

Step 3: DFA Escobar

Step 4: DFA Escobar again just to be sure

Step 5: call up Mauricio and Vientos

They won 101 games last year. What bugs me is that that team was noted for playing fundamental baseball on a high level this team is gaining a rep for dumb mistakes like Vogelbach's today, Nimmo' steal attempt and too many fielding errors. They lack the focus they had last year.

I find Showwalter's post game pressers interesting. He's the opposite of JB: he grudgingly refuses to criticize any individual player. He'll do that in private for sure but he keeps it internal.