2023 NY Mets thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

There was talk of Mauricio becoming a centerfielder because of his speed but per BaseballReference.com, he's never played the position. He's a switch hitter. Maybe he could DH with the right handed Vientos while he waits for a spot to open up. He's 22 and Vientos 23 so they may be ready for their major league careers to begin.

Ronny Mauricio Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Vientos was an all star in AAA last season and I think it far more likely to be successful in MLB right now than Mauricio, who has been in AAA for almost a month now.

Been pushing to move Mauricio to CF since last year. That is his quickest path to MLB for the Mets imho.

Hoping we keep both. It is important to have some young talented players (playing at the minimum) in key positions to keep the total salary for the team somewhat close, hopefully below the penalty caps.

Getting the total salary under control isn’t happening this year but it is something that needs to get done for the future.

Vientos was an all star in AAA last season and I think it far more likely to be successful in MLB right now than Mauricio, who has been in AAA for almost a month now.

Been pushing to move Mauricio to CF since last year. That is his quickest path to MLB for the Mets imho.

Hoping we keep both. It is important to have some young talented players (playing at the minimum) in key positions to keep the total salary for the team somewhat close, hopefully below the penalty caps.

Getting the total salary under control isn’t happening this year but it is something that needs to get done for the future.

You'll like this one:

You'll like this one:

So sad to trade a terrific talent so young. At least he is in the American League and (for now) the Mets will rarely have to face him.

The Mets got rained out again today.

The bad news here is that since Max is suspended for 10 games and the Mets aren’t playing games, his suspension still applies.

The Mets are now going to play a doubleheader against the Braves tomorrow. Those are the last 2 games of the Max suspension. So he will start Tuesday against the Tigers.

Looks like Megill and Butto will start tomorrow against Atlanta.

And the other starting pitchers against Detroit will be Verlander and Senga.

The good news is this gives Justin and Kodia both an extra day from their last starts, which will hopefully help them pitch well.

Brooks Raley went in the IL with elbow discomfort but Nogosek gets activated today and Curtiss returns to the Mets after a short vacation in Toledo (with the Syracuse Mets). Hope he had a chance to eat at Kllinger’s favorite restaurant.

Whoa. Mets have announced they are starting Reyes instead of Butto in the doubleheader tomorrow. Megill is still starting the other game.

Doesn’t make any sense to me. Hope this works out.

So does that mean they should call up more rookies?
Maybe, if it's Vientos or Mauricio. But what I meant was that Showalter seems like a guy who will get the most out of whatever hand he is dealt.

Really disappointing loss to the Braves in game one. I will never understand why the powers that be decided that Reyes should have started that game.

Encouraging to see the offense do so well. Alonso has been solid all year and it looks like Baty is the player we all thought he was.

Sad it was all for nothing.

On the positive side, Buck was able to avoid using the top 3 relievers. So if Megill can pitch a decent game and the Mets can score a few runs, we are well positioned to close it out.

Really disappointing loss to the Braves in game one. I will never understand why the powers that be decided that Reyes should have started that game.

Encouraging to see the offense do so well. Alonso has been solid all year and it looks like Baty is the player we all thought he was.

Sad it was all for nothing.

On the positive side, Buck was able to avoid using the top 3 relievers. So if Megill can pitch a decent game and the Mets can score a few runs, we are well positioned to close it out.

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking, (or if). But, stepping back, that was a heck of a day of baseball. The Mets and Braves, who may be settling in for long runs as the two best teams in the division, split a double-header 8-9 and 5-3. Alonso, Beaty and Escobar go deep in the first but Acuna, Murphy and Pillar answer for the Braves, (Murphy twice). Megill, Smith and Robertson get it done in the nightcap. Robertson got a 35 pitch save and has an ERA of 0.68. He's Diaz without the horn. Nimmo, McNeil and Baty are all batting .300. Alvarez got the big hit and caught the final out.

Big win in game two. Could not get swept by the Braves at home. That would have been unacceptable.

Good to see Alvarez come through in a key moment.

That HR by McNeil was a really big hit.

And Robertson is having a really nice season so far.

I think the worse is over. The nightmarish sequence of events that took over 4 of the 5 Mets starting pitchers is beginning to go away.

Lucchesi, Scherzer and Verlander are scheduled against the Tigers. Senga is penciled in as the game one starter against the Rockies.

Things aren’t back to normal but they are looking a lot better.

In addition the the returns of Scherzer and Verlander, I just read a story that says Cookie is nearing a return to the rotation and has been penciled in for the Saturday start against Colorado I had Megill penciled in for.

If they do that, Megill starts on Sunday, with an extra day of rest, and everyone gets more rest with a badly needed off day on Monday.

So it looks like the Mets are going with a 6 man rotation, at least for a while. That is a decision I strongly agree with.

Hopefully whoever had the idea to start Reyes has been fired or assigned to clean toilets.

Big win in game two. Could not get swept by the Braves at home. That would have been unacceptable.

I think the worse is over. The nightmarish sequence of events that took over 4 of the 5 Mets starting pitchers is beginning to go away.

Lucchesi, Scherzer and Verlander are scheduled against the Tigers. Senga is penciled in as the game one starter against the Rockies.

In addition the the returns of Scherzer and Verlander, I just read a story that says Cookie is nearing a return to the rotation and has been penciled in for the Saturday start against Colorado I had Megill penciled in for.

If they do that, Megill starts on Sunday, with an extra day of rest, and everyone gets more rest with a badly needed off day on Monday.

So it looks like the Mets are going with a 6 man rotation, at least for a while. That is a decision I strongly agree with.

Hopefully whoever had the idea to start Reyes has been fired or assigned to clean toilets.

Alvarez and Baty settling in is a great development. Agree with all. Patching up the holes and positioned to go on a run now going forward. Came very close to coming all the way back in game 1.

We've discussed before but just looking at the schedule- by the AS break the Mets will have played 51 games away and 39 at home. Hopefully in a good position then such that they can really pickup even more momentum after the break.

Alvarez and Baty settling in is a great development. Agree with all. Patching up the holes and positioned to go on a run now going forward. Came very close to coming all the way back in game 1.
Now get Mauricio some time at right field and center field and call him up around the all star break or move McNiel to the outfield to make room for Mauricio at 2nd. Also get Vientos in the lineup to get some power in the lineup. It’s pretty clear at this point that the pitching is going to struggle to keep teams under 4 runs… the offense needs to to score at least 4 runs more often than not and I don’t see that happening with Canha and Marte both slumping and the lack of power from the DH.

Waiting for the decision on the rain-out, I got to watching a series of "Amazin' finishes". The one for 2012 was kind of poignant because of the names: David Wright shines at third, Matt Harvey makes his debut. Bobby Parnell is in the bullpen. Ike Davis could give us the power-hitting first basement we've always wanted, etc. etc.

This was the year of Johann Santana's no-hitter and RA Dickey's Cy Young, which caused the Mets to trade him for Noah Syndergaard and Travis d'Arnaud. Dickey was the Met's first 20 game winner since Frank Viola in 1990. There hasn't been one since. Will there ever be again?

Waiting for the decision on the rain-out, I got to watching a series of "Amazin' finishes". The one for 2012 was kind of poignant because of the names: David Wright shines at third, Matt Harvey makes his debut. Bobby Parnell is in the bullpen. Ike Davis could give us the power-hitting first basement we've always wanted, etc. etc.

This was the year of Johann Santana's no-hitter and RA Dickey's Cy Young, which caused the Mets to trade him for Noah Syndergaard and Travis d'Arnaud. Dickey was the Met's first 20 game winner since Frank Viola in 1990. There hasn't been one since. Will there ever be again?
What you are really asking is will the Mets ever have an ace under the age of 35 again… the answer is…. I hope so? But I will agree the next ace under 35 is not in the system yet from what I can tell. After the “golden” generation that pitched them to the World Series in 2015, Mets pitching development has been horrific. At least they have had Pete, McNeil, Nido, Nimmo, Guillorme come through as position players.

What you are really asking is will the Mets ever have an ace under the age of 35 again… the answer is…. I hope so? But I will agree the next ace under 35 is not in the system yet from what I can tell. After the “golden” generation that pitched them to the World Series in 2015, Mets pitching development has been horrific. At least they have had Pete, McNeil, Nido, Nimmo, Guillorme come through as position players.

With modern baseball, nobody is going to have a 20 game winner again unless they win 90% of their games.

With modern baseball, nobody is going to have a 20 game winner again unless they win 90% of their games.
It comes down to health… if an ace stays healthy they will pitch about 30 times in a regular season. So they can afford 10 no decisions/losses. Verlander won 18 last year and Scherzer won 20 six years ago. Kyle Wright one 20 last year for the Braves… if we ever have a young ace again it’s possible.

It comes down to health… if an ace stays healthy they will pitch about 30 times in a regular season. So they can afford 10 no decisions/losses. Verlander won 18 last year and Scherzer won 20 six years ago. Kyle Wright one 20 last year for the Braves… if we ever have a young ace again it’s possible.

We had DeGrom, who was strictly a 6 inning guy and never won more than 15. He had 30 starts four times. A lot of meat was left on the bone because of what happened after he left the game.

Hopefully when we get Verlander and Scherzer back we can move down from giving up the 3rd most HRs in the league...

What are there like 200 people (maybe) at this game?
Might be the fewest people I have ever seen at a MLB game. Gotta be (for me) for a game played in May.

Disappointing loss.

Ottovino did not look good. Props to Pham, who came back from zombie form to have a good game.

Scherzer yikes. Maybe we don't have two aces. At this rate we may find we have zero.