2023 NY Mets thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

They won 101 games last year. What bugs me is that that team was noted for playing fundamental baseball on a high level this team is gaining a rep for dumb mistakes like Vogelbach's today, Nimmo' steal attempt and too many fielding errors. They lack the focus they had last year.

I find Showwalter's post game pressers interesting. He's the opposite of JB: he grudgingly refuses to criticize any individual player. He'll do that in private for sure but he keeps it internal.
They are trying too hard because the pitching sucks. Last year they had very few injuries and most players played to the back of their baseball cards or better. With a veteran roster there was very little room for improvement from last year to this. Honestly it is just bad roster building by Eppler... he paid a TON of money to build a roster that was more likely to regress than improve. As many have pointed out he fell into the same trap with the Angels.

Two Alvarez homers are great news and Pete got #12 - but they were all with nobody on.

AdobeStock_246178396.jpeg

Two Alvarez homers are great news and Pete got #12 - but they were all with nobody on.

AdobeStock_246178396.jpeg
I fear the Lindor contract will not age well from an offensive stand point. Not to beat a dead horse but this team is just poorly built... Nimmo, Pete, McNeil, Senga in their primes.. Lindor seems to be at the beginning of the end of his prime at least with his bat... Marie, Canha, Escobar, Max all needed to win LAST year. This team needs a major infusion of youth.

that blown call by all 4 umps was one of the worst calls of all time. I dont know any manager could have avoided getting tossed after seeing that.. And why is that not a reviewable call?

Not understanding why a ball hitting a batter is reviewable and one hitting a runner is not?

And apparently he hit a homer today…. Maybe I’m overreacting with Lindor
He is only hitting .224 but is on a pace right now for 54 doubles and 27 HRs.

The Mets did well on offense last year but their HR total was down significantly. Much angst in the off season about it and management didn't really make any acquisitions to address this.

I have heard Canha talk about how he made adjustments during the off season to improve his power.

Looks to me as though Lindor is also trying to increase his power numbers.

Canha's BA is down to .216.

I would much rather see these guys try to get on base as much as possible, like Nimmo and McNeil, and forget about HRs. The Mets were fine last year with their core guys getting on all the time.

Hoping Baty and Alvarez can help address the power shortage in the lineup. I sound like a broken record but guess what? Mark Vientos hit another HR for the Syracuse Mets last night. And he is hitting .339.

Mauricio has only played 2B a handful of games so even though he is also hitting great at Syracuse, I don't want him learning on the job for the Mets. Let him get comfortable there a while longer. And maybe play him some in the outfield as well.

Max missed another start with a bad neck. Was quoted as saying he was pitching hurt and was just trying not to break anything pitching (hence the reason for his noticeably slower fastball). Not good.

Peterson was also noticeably slower with his fastball last night. Guessing he is not 100% physically either.

Very very worrisome.

The Mets did well on offense last year but their HR total was down significantly. Much angst in the off season about it and management didn't really make any acquisitions to address this.

I have heard Canha talk about how he made adjustments during the off season to improve his power.

I would much rather see these guys try to get on base as much as possible, like Nimmo and McNeil, and forget about HRs. The Mets were fine last year with their core guys getting on all the time.

Hoping Baty and Alvarez can help address the power shortage in the lineup. I sound like a broken record but guess what? Mark Vientos hit another HR for the Syracuse Mets last night. And he is hitting .339.

Mauricio has only played 2B a handful of games so even though he is also hitting great at Syracuse, I don't want him learning on the job for the Mets. Let him get comfortable there a while longer. And maybe play him some in the outfield as well.

Max missed another start with a bad neck. Was quoted as saying he was pitching hurt and was just trying not to break anything pitching (hence the reason for his noticeably slower fastball). Not good.

Peterson was also noticeably slower with his fastball last night. Guessing he is not 100% physically either.

Very very worrisome.

We are a bit like the Phillies last year in terms of hemorrhaging runs except the pitching looks like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Also had not backed out on Correa.. he's batting .185 with 5 HR and 15 RBI this year so far getting booed by twins fans.

Very very worrisome.

Per the Athletic, Memorial Day is the time you stop thinking about track records and, instead, think about what's needed here and now.

Per the Athletic, Memorial Day is the time you stop thinking about track records and, instead, think about what's needed here and now.

I think the main issue is I don't see hope for the pitching. They made a bunch of bets on old dudes who could drop off at any time and young dudes who needed to make the leap. Unfortunately other than Verlander (small sample size) and Senga those bets are NOT paying off. I think the hitting should get better but there is a risk that Escobar, Canha and Marie all just got old and can't hack it anymore.

I've never bene impressed with Canha. Marte was having quite a good year when he was hurt last year and the Mets declined without him. It's disappointing that he just doesn't seem to have it this year at all.

Canhe is just a steady player.. fine to have that.. but when you get 230 from lindor and pete, 100 from Nido and struggles from Marte it all adds up.

But if the pitching hadnt all gotten hurt they would be muddling along 2-3 games out and be less worrisome.

I've never bene impressed with Canha. Marte was having quite a good year when he was hurt last year and the Mets declined without him. It's disappointing that he just doesn't seem to have it this year at all.
People get old... athletes get too old for their jobs quicker.

Canhe is just a steady player.. fine to have that.. but when you get 230 from lindor and pete, 100 from Nido and struggles from Marte it all adds up.

But if the pitching hadnt all gotten hurt they would be muddling along 2-3 games out and be less worrisome.
But that's the issue right... this team has no margin for error. If the hitting or the pitching deviate even a little the team is in deep trouble, Same thing happened at the end of last season when Marie got hurt.

I think as fans we all understand this will take awhile to turn around... I wish Eppler would realize the same and actually commit to a rebuild.

they were the better team 2 of the 3 games but the refs were better in that one inning that killed them,

Hopefully Senga figured something out after that first inning that leads to a complete game of solid effort soon

The Mets starters for the Nats series are all currently TBD.

Looks like it will be Megill, then Lucchesi and Peterson. Though the Sunday game could be started by Carrasco instead. Though I think they will give him an extra day of rest and start him on Monday.

I guess Scherzer could break in on Saturday or Sunday but it seems unlikely. He is also a candidate to start Monday in the series finale. Thinking he starts Tuesday, assuming he is finally ready. That would give Verlander an extra day of rest before a possible start on Wednesday.

The Nats are playing pretty well. This might be another series the Mets lose.

Last edited:
I wonder where we are on the scale of the most first inning runs given up in a year and games with a run given up in the first?

This is just getting comical.. in a sad dark way.

I wonder where we are on the scale of the most first inning runs given up in a year and games with a run given up in the first?

Sisyphus-e1557869810488.jpg

Every game seems the same. The Met starting pitcher acts like he was just woken up from a sound sleep and asked to pitch. They just don’t seem ready to pitch at the start of the game.

We are in a rain delay now. Lucchesi has been shaky. Mets have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the 3rd. Good chance Lucchesi is done now. The Mets used all their reliable relievers yesterday so it is going to be hard to get though 9 innings without some major damage getting done.

Scherzer is supposed to pitch tomorrow. I don’t see how he is going to be close to 100% but he probably gives us the best shot for victory. If it wasn’t him, I think it was going to be Peterson. I think the plan is to push Peterson out to Monday now and give Verlander an extra day of rest. That will help others, especially Senga, later in the week.

Every game seems the same. The Met starting pitcher acts like he was just woken up from a sound sleep and asked to pitch. They just don’t seem ready to pitch at the start of the game.

We are in a rain delay now. Lucchesi has been shaky. Mets have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the 3rd. Good chance Lucchesi is done now. The Mets used all their reliable relievers yesterday so it is going to be hard to get though 9 innings without some major damage getting done.

Scherzer is supposed to pitch tomorrow. I don’t see how he is going to be close to 100% but he probably gives us the best shot for victory. If it wasn’t him, I think it was going to be Peterson. I think the plan is to push Peterson out to Monday now and give Verlander an extra day of rest. That will help others, especially Senga, later in the week.

"Will Resume at 12:35 ET on May 14"

Are we reduced to hoping for rain-outs?