2023 NY Mets thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Another Amazin' Mets moment. Harry Chiti says High!

540bbd00207d2bb819f1041ef6dd0c3f.jpg

So does Joel Youngblood:

R.d0a11cf7f85472ce6b9e945c7b210e47

1-1 with one out. Three straight singles, the first by Pete, who holds up at third. Vogelbach strikes out and Guillorme 'gets all of it' - and it's caught in medium left field. Meanwhile Vientos is hitting .33 with 11 home runs, 10 off right handers, (he's a right-handed batter), Mauricio is hitting .349 with 7 home runs and Gary Sánchez is hitting .462 with a dinger in four games.

So a guy with a .174 lifetime batting average goes 4 for 4 - and we still lose!

1-1 with one out. Three straight singles, the first by Pete, who holds up at third. Vogelbach strikes out and Guillorme 'gets all of it' - and it's caught in medium left field. Meanwhile Vientos is hitting .33 with 11 home runs, 10 off right handers, (he's a right-handed batter), Mauricio is hitting .349 with 7 home runs and Gary Sánchez is hitting .462 with a dinger in four games.
memorial day is coming soon? can’t wait for eppler to go. Cohen needs to hire someone from the braves or that dude from the brewers.

How do you get 11 hits and only score 2 runs.

Chicks dig the long ball!

Disappointing loss in the first game of the doubleheader. Lots of opportunities. Almost no clutch hitting. We have seen this all season.

Nogosek, Leone and Santana had to finish it off after the rain out. They struggled, as expected. Nogosek did provide 3 innings and only gave up 1 run, which is actually quite good.

Perez got 4 hits. Who would have thunk that?

In the second game, Max looked really good. His fastball was in the 94-95 range and he even got a few up to 96. Had good control and got his breaking pitches over too. Looks like the rest helped him out a lot.

Today, the Mets finish the series with Peterson against Corbin. Peterson has been bad a number of starts in a row and I am not optimistic that is going to change. Corbin continues to struggle so maybe it will be a competitive high scoring game.

Smith, Ottavino and Robertson did not pitch the last two days so they should be well rested and available. IF only Peterson could get through 6 innings here.

Let's talk about the rotation.

Lucchesi was just sent down to Syracuse. Surprised at that.

Carrasco just pitched his second rehab start for Binghamton yesterday and did well. He is presumably heading back to the NY Mets now.

Senga has had one start going on normal rest with a 5 man rotation and got rocked. He has been much better with extra rest. So was Max last night and I think Verlander could use extra rest too. Carrasco certainly also could use more rest at his age.

Really want to see a 6 man rotation.

Thinking this is a big start for Peterson. If he does well, he stays in the rotation for a while.

Verlander-Scherzer-Senga-Carrasco-Megill-Peterson

If he gets bombed again, Lucchesi takes his place:

Verlander-Scherzer-Senga-Carrasco-Megill-Lucchesi

Mets play the Rays T, W and Th. They will start Verlander Tuesday, Senga Wednesday and Megill Thursday. All will have 1 day extra rest.

Then they play the Guardians on F, Sa and Su. Think they will start Carrasco (on normal rest) Friday, Max (1 day of extra rest) on Saturday and Peterson (1 day extra rest) or maybe Lucchesi or Butto on Sunday.

The quality of the opponent is getting harder. I hope the team is ready for it.

Took an afternoon nap, forgetting it was a day game. Didn't miss much. At least we didn't lose the series, even if we didn't win it, either.

Don’t know why they started Peterson, who has been consistently awful this season. He needs to be sent down to Syracuse and stay there until he can figure out how to pitch again. They sent down Lucchesi, who now is much better. Makes no sense. Call up Butto. Use Carrasco and a 5 men rotation. Whatever. Do not start Peterson again until he gets his act together.

Who is making all these bad decisions? Is it Eppler? Is it the analysts? Is it Buck? The decision maker here needs to be re-assigned to scrubbing toilets for a while.

What a sad mess.

This Week in Mets: David Peterson’s woes, a homerless lineup and the looming Rays

"How do you undo the good feelings of your easiest win in weeks? You play one of your worst games of the season the very next day.

The Mets submitted their version of an Aristocrats joke in a 10-3 loss to the Nationals in Monday’s series finale. They had a runner picked off first with the bases loaded. They miscommunicated in the outfield to turn a fly ball into a triple. They were fooled by a Little League first-and-third stolen base. Their pitching staff mustered one zero in eight tries all day. They’ve now gone 52 offensive innings without a home run."

"The Mets are 1-7 in Peterson’s starts. He allowed six runs in the one victory."

“You go through his outings, there’s been a lot of balls in the middle of the plate.”

Mets… brutal. Verlander as a “stopper”, what a joke. Enough already… fire Eppler and bring up the kids, if you are going to stink at least get some development time out of it.

Time to trade Verlander, Max, Marte, Robertson, Canha, Voglebach, and DFA Escobar.

Mets… brutal. Verlander as a “stopper”, what a joke. Enough already… fire Eppler and bring up the kids, if you are going to stink at least get some development time out of it.

Time to trade Verlander, Max, Marte, Robertson, Canha, Voglebach, and DFA Escobar.

Yep. 100 pct agree. Get some more prospects let the kids hit the sandlot for a year alongside Lindor, Pete and Nimmo and arm up next year to pair with the youth.

We just got Verlander and he's pitched 3 games for us. And TB is doing this to everyone.

We just got Verlander and he's pitched 3 games for us. And TB is doing this to everyone.
Do you believe this team will win the WS or even make it past the wild card round this year? If the answer is no then they should sell high where they can and get a head start on building out some organizational depth. They need outfield prospects and as many arms as they possibly can get.

Do you believe this team will win the WS or even make it past the wild card round this year? If the answer is no then they should sell high where they can and get a head start on building out some organizational depth. They need outfield prospects and as many arms as they possibly can get.
Verlander has an arm. I'm not saying they should save him for next year, but I'm not giving up on him three starts into this year. The Phillies made the WS and stunk at this point last year. You just need to make the playoffs.

Verlander has an arm. I'm not saying they should save him for next year, but I'm not giving up on him three starts into this year. The Phillies made the WS and stunk at this point last year. You just need to make the playoffs.
To provide more specific details, Philly was 17-19 last season on this date and the Braves were 19-22 two years ago, If I was a Mets fan, I would probably wait before I'd want them to break it all up quite yet.

Don’t know why they started Peterson, who has been consistently awful this season. He needs to be sent down to Syracuse and stay there until he can figure out how to pitch again. They sent down Lucchesi, who now is much better. Makes no sense. Call up Butto. Use Carrasco and a 5 men rotation. Whatever. Do not start Peterson again until he gets his act together.

Who is making all these bad decisions? Is it Eppler? Is it the analysts? Is it Buck? The decision maker here needs to be re-assigned to scrubbing toilets for a while.

What a sad mess.
It's Eppler with Cohen's sign off. As someone said on Twitter yesterday, at least with the Wilpons I knew was getting screwed. Mets are approaching that point where it can be over by June. If that happens, cut your losses with the front office and call up the kids to see what they can do at this level.

It's Eppler with Cohen's sign off. As someone said on Twitter yesterday, at least with the Wilpons I knew was getting screwed. Mets are approaching that point where it can be over by June. If that happens, cut your losses with the front office and call up the kids to see what they can do at this level.
Was hoping with our best starter we could at least give Tampa Bay a game.

They look terrific. We...do not. Right now, the Mets are hard to watch.

Was hoping with our best starter we could at least give Tampa Bay a game.

They look terrific. We...do not. Right now, the Mets are hard to watch.

Not 'Fun to watch', which was one of Buck's favorite phrases last year.

Finally!

Had no choice. Throw him in the water and let him figure out how to hack it. Mauricio needs a bit more seasoning at second and then call him up as well. Queens needs a youth movement.

Finally!

The article doesn't say how they are going to make room for Mark.

Assuming Pham or Escobar is getting DFAed.

Escobar hit another HR last night and still looks like he can hit, at least right handed.

Pham has been horrible after a brief promising start. I would think he is the one getting cut here.

Escobar hit another HR last night and still looks like he can hit, at least right handed.

Pham has been horrible after a brief promising start. I would think he is the one getting cut here.
The Mets surprised me and optioned Guillorme down to Syracuse instead. Didn't know he still had options.

Escobar can play 2B and 3B but the Mets really don't have a backup at SS now, though I guess Escobar could play there in an emergency.

If an infielder gets hurt, he will surely be the one called up as a replacement.

Good news for the Syracuse Mets. Hopefully he figures out what is wrong with his bat while he spends time in beautiful CNY.

Keep in mind that 11 of Mark's 13HR have come off of right-handed pitching, so he wouldn't have to platoon if they used him as a DH.