2023 NY Mets thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

If Verlander comes back soon and is his normal self, it allows Peterson or Megill to become a reliever, and give the team a much needed (hopefully) reliable arm that can go 2 innings as needed.

We desperately need that. Believe he is going to do a rehab start in the minor next week. Good chance he will be in the rotation in the next 2 weeks.

I suspect the minute Verlander comes back, Carrasco goes on the DL. He might go on it before then.

The other thing is to call up Baty and make his the starter at 3B. They should have done this at the start of the season. Can't afford to have another horrible hitter near the bottom of the lineup.

With any luck, Narvaez returns in mid June. That largely eliminates another non productive bat in the lineup.

I would call up Vientos and make him the full time DH. I think he is an upgrade over Pham, Vogelbach, Lacastro, Escobar and whoever else they are rolling out here.

Maybe sign Britton too. I know that are salary cap ramifications here.

Agree, this team is not going to win 100 games. But I still hope they can get to 90 wins.

I like the optimism.. relying on young bats is always going to be a gamble... even if a better gamble than not. Verlander is a tricky situation too given his age.

I like the optimism.. relying on young bats is always going to be a gamble... even if a better gamble than not. Verlander is a tricky situation too given his age.
Agree, nothing is a given with this team.

If things go wrong, this team could lose 90 games. We are the oldest team in MLB.

Very possible one of even both vet pitching aces get hurt and miss most of the season. This happens a lot when you get that old.

The injury to Diaz along probably cost us 5 or 6 wins. The injury to Quintana probably ends up costing up 3 or 4.

Still...I think these guys are going to scrap and fight and wins their share of games.

Agree, nothing is a given with this team.

If things go wrong, this team could lose 90 games. We are the oldest team in MLB.

Very possible one of even both vet pitching aces get hurt and miss most of the season. This happens a lot when you get that old.

The injury to Diaz along probably cost us 5 or 6 wins. The injury to Quintana probably ends up costing up 3 or 4.

Still...I think these guys are going to scrap and fight and wins their share of games.

I hope so. Also as many wins as we can get vs the Padres would be great too...

If Verlander comes back soon and is his normal self, it allows Peterson or Megill to become a reliever, and give the team a much needed (hopefully) reliable arm that can go 2 innings as needed.

We desperately need that. Believe he is going to do a rehab start in the minor next week. Good chance he will be in the rotation in the next 2 weeks.

I suspect the minute Verlander comes back, Carrasco goes on the DL. He might go on it before then.

The other thing is to call up Baty and make his the starter at 3B. They should have done this at the start of the season. Can't afford to have another horrible hitter near the bottom of the lineup.

With any luck, Narvaez returns in mid June. That largely eliminates another non productive bat in the lineup.

I would call up Vientos and make him the full time DH. I think he is an upgrade over Pham, Vogelbach, Lacastro, Escobar and whoever else they are rolling out here.

Maybe sign Britton too. I know that are salary cap ramifications here.

Agree, this team is not going to win 100 games. But I still hope they can get to 90 wins.

It's a long season, as we found out last year.

This is not the post season.

How last year ended... makes optimism a tough sell... especially with Diaz going down... then Verlander ( for however long)

How last year ended... makes optimism a tough sell... especially with Diaz going down... then Verlander ( for however long)

And optimism will get tougher as the season progresses. So you might as well have some now.

We have a badly needed day off tomorrow to travel to the west coast.

Then a 3 game series against Oakland, a 3 game series against the Dodgers and 4 game series against the Giants.

Oakland is 2-9, and the Dodgers and Giants are playing around .500 ball.

We normally get beat up badly on these West Coast roadies but I am hopeful we can break even on this one. It would be great to win 2 of 3 in Oakland to start things off…..

Then a 3 game series against Oakland, a 3 game series against the Dodgers and 4 game series against the Giants.

We normally get beat up badly on these West Coast roadies but I am hopeful we can break even on this one. It would be great to win 2 of 3 in Oakland to start things off…..

That's what they did last year. They were never quite 'red hot' as several other teams were but they kept punch-pressing series wins, until the end.

I’m happy the Mets are going on a west coast trip this early in the season, before teams really start hitting their strides. There’s only one more west coast trip after this one and it’s only six games - to Arizona and San Diego in July. Couldn’t really ask for a better schedule.

The Mets destroyed the lowly As last night, setting a franchise record with 17 walks. Most of them scored as the Mets rolled up 17 runs.

Carrasco pitches today. Let’s hope he does well. Lucchesi pitched well a couple of days ago. He is 2-0 and might be the favorite to replace Cookie if he continues to crumble.

We need another lefty on the staff and someone who can be a long reliever. Seems likely he will be called up soon regardless of what Cookie does.

Think Grant Hartwig is a name to keep in mind as a future call up too. He is 25. Has progressed through the Met farm system fast. 6”5, throws 95 and has quality stuff. Off to a good start in Syracuse.

Would appear to be an upgrade over some of the guys we have filling out the staff for the Mets.

The Mets destroyed the lowly As last night, setting a franchise record with 17 walks. Most of them scored as the Mets rolled up 17 runs.

Carrasco pitches today. Let’s hope he does well. Lucchesi pitched well a couple of days ago. He is 2-0 and might be the favorite to replace Cookie if he continues to crumble.

We need another lefty on the staff and someone who can be a long reliever. Seems likely he will be called up soon regardless of what Cookie does.

Think Grant Hartwig is a name to keep in mind as a future call up too. He is 25. Has progressed through the Met farm system fast. 6”5, throws 95 and has quality stuff. Off to a good start in Syracuse.

Would appear to be an upgrade over some of the guys we have filling out the staff for the Mets.

I'm in this camp. Get the youth up wherever we can. Last night Escobar saved his night against the lowly A's with an essentially meaningless 2 rbi double when the As were cooked. Meanwhile Baty is tearing up Triple A pitching so far in Syracuse and on a slightly lesser note Mauricio too.

Hoping this Oakland series we can keep most of the key guys in the pen rested by beating up on Oaklands woeful pitching staff.

SU sweeps UNC in lacrosse while the Mets win the Carrasco game. Soft Zepher breeze coming in through the window. Life is good - for the moment. Mets would be 9-3 if Milwaukee didn't exist, despite all the injuries.

SU sweeps UNC in lacrosse while the Mets win the Carrasco game. Soft Zepher breeze coming in through the window. Life is good - for the moment. Mets would be 9-3 if Milwaukee didn't exist, despite all the injuries.

Today was hairy. Sucks Nogo went down.

Carrasco ... oy vey. Canha saved his behind there but ...
Carlos is struggling for sure but I give him credit for getting through 5 innings and only giving up 2 runs. After the awful first inning, he found a way to keep the As from scoring.

Surprised Buck let him go out for the sixth. The analysts must have been mad about that.

Drew Smith and Brooks Raley shut the As down for 2 innings. Good to see Brooks have a clean line. This allowed Buck to go with Ottavino and Robertson for the last two innings. I don’t think Drew has been able to go a whole season without getting hurt so I am not a fan of asking him to go more than one inning is dangerous but it worked out for.now.

Had some roster changes dealing with the suspect back side of the relief corp. Santana got DWAed (right after picking up a win the day before) and Nogosek went in the DL (he got hit by a ball yesterday).

I think Nogosek is expected back soon. Who knows if Santana will get picked up by someone else. Mets brought up Butto, really the only decent young starting pitcher in Syracuse. Also brought up Yacabonis, who I haven’t been I impressed with. I am cool with giving Hartwig some more time in AAA before he plays MLB. Kind of surprised Hunter did not get called up. He is on Syracuse now and I think he got a win yesterday.

Polar Bear continues to do Polar Bear things.

Failed to drive in a runner in 3rd with less than 2 men out. Threw away a sure kick off by misreading things and took the ball off his k ee. But he also made a fine play to get a double play in a liner down the line. And saved Francisco Alvarez an error with a nice play to nip a batter trying to get to first in a swing and a miss Alvarez could not hold on to. And he crushed an HR to get the Mets within 1 they really changed the game.

Alvarez looks overmatched at the plate right now. Seems like his MO is to struggle for a while when he gets moved to a new level, then breaks out and do damage. Let’s hope that happens again.

Soon.

Carlos is struggling for sure but I give him credit for getting through 5 innings and only giving up 2 runs. After the awful first inning, he found a way to keep the As from scoring.

Surprised Buck let him go out for the sixth. The analysts must have been mad about that.

Drew Smith and Brooks Raley shut the As down for 2 innings. Good to see Brooks have a clean line. This allowed Buck to go with Ottavino and Robertson for the last two innings. I don’t think Drew has been able to go a whole season without getting hurt so I am not a fan of asking him to go more than one inning is dangerous but it worked out for.now.

Had some roster changes dealing with the suspect back side of the relief corp. Santana got DWAed (right after picking up a win the day before) and Nogosek went in the DL (he got hit by a ball yesterday).

I think Nogosek is expected back soon. Who knows if Santana will get picked up by someone else. Mets brought up Butto, really the only decent young starting pitcher in Syracuse. Also brought up Yacabonis, who I haven’t been I impressed with. I am cool with giving Hartwig some more time in AAA before he plays MLB. Kind of surprised Hunter did not get called up. He is on Syracuse now and I think he got a win yesterday.

Polar Bear continues to do Polar Bear things.

Failed to drive in a runner in 3rd with less than 2 men out. Threw away a sure kick off by misreading things and took the ball off his k ee. But he also made a fine play to get a double play in a liner down the line. And saved Francisco Alvarez an error with a nice play to nip a batter trying to get to first in a swing and a miss Alvarez could not hold on to. And he crushed an HR to get the Mets within 1 they really changed the game.

Alvarez looks overmatched at the plate right now. Seems like his MO is to struggle for a while when he gets moved to a new level, then breaks out and do damage. Let’s hope that happens again.

Soon.

Yeah with Alvarez he seems like he is just over eager to me. Thought he was OK behind the plate for a rookie.

We were supposed to be starting Max tomorrow. That is not happening due to back soreness.

Butto will get the start.

We used all the good relievers today to get the win except Curtiss so I would expect the Mets to give up some runs tomorrow. We are going to need to score a bunch of we want to get another win. Curtiss probably closes if we somehow have the lead going into the ninth.

Hope Butto can get through 5. Then 1 for Reyes. 1 or 2 for Yacabonis and 1 or 2 for Curtiss. Yuck.

Maybe the Mets can out Max in the DL retroactively and call up Hartwig so he can pitch tomorrow. The Syracuse Mets got rained out so we know he did not pitch today.

If Max is not ready Wednesday, and Butto gefs bombed, Joey probably starts Wednesday.

Verlander can’t come back fast enough.

I guess it's a good cause but I don't want uniforms to become billboards like we see in auto racing. And this patch is much larger than the writing on it, which isn't very attractive.

Cohen: Mets to change 'Phillie colors' ad patch on uniform

1000.jpeg

that patch just looks awful.. is there a reason it has to look so bad? even if it was just round it would look better.

that patch just looks awful.. is there a reason it has to look so bad? even if it was just round it would look better.
Agree. No reason they can’t leave the logo the same size and make the patch a rectangle slightly larger than the logo. Let’s do it.

Agree. No reason they can’t leave the logo the same size and make the patch a rectangle slightly larger than the logo.

Agree. No reason they can’t leave the logo the same size and make the patch a rectangle slightly larger than the logo. Let’s do it.

Heck, they could fit two other ads in there.

Brett Baty is coming to the show.

No word in how they will make room for him. Is Escobar getting released?

My guess is that Brett takes over 3B for the Mets in LA tomorrow and hopefully is the starter there for around 13 years or so.

He reminds me of George Brett.