2023 NY Mets thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Brett Baty is coming to the show.

No word in how they will make room for him. Is Escobar getting released?

My guess is that Brett takes over 3B for the Mets in LA tomorrow and hopefully is the starter there for around 13 years or so.

He reminds me of George Brett.

Can Brett bat like Brett? If so, I'll take it.

I think Alvarez needs a couple more years in the minors so he can learn how to play baseball.

I'm a Mets fan, but I've never understood the hype.

I think Alvarez needs a couple more years in the minors so he can learn how to play baseball.

It seems he needs time at every level to get the edge off and just play ball. He was really over eager at first at Syracuse then really settled in.

It's not great that the whole team has been pretty anemic offensively outside of the 17 run outburst.

Butto did a nice job today and yet here we are with a 1 run lead vs the worst team in the majors.

That deal for Vogelbach looking like garbage too now. Holderman still hasn't given up an earned run in 9 innings so far this year. Really like his stuff.

id think buto gets optioned for beaty
Assuming Max is actually going to be ready to pitch Wednesday, I agree.

Clearly Escobar is well respected and he still has value. He can play a couple of positions and is a switch hitter. By all accounts he is great in the clubhouse and you have to applause how he is handling this situation (at least so far).

That said, the Mets are struggling to get make ends meet with 13 pitchers on staff. I don’t think they can run with only 12 pitchers for long. Our starting pitchers just aren’t pitching enough innings to allow this.

A position player needs to go to make room for Baty. The candidates are Locastro, Pham. Vogelbach and Escobar. I think it will probably be Lacastro.

That deal for Vogelbach looking like garbage too now. Holderman still hasn't given up an earned run in 9 innings so far this year. Really like his stuff.
Yes, Eppler gets taken advantage of with just about every deal he attempts. His track record is not good.

Escobar.. bases loaded... and... DP ball
We all saw that coming. It's one thing to not help the team. It's another to hurt the team. Barring a Baty injury, they have to let him get as many ABs as possible to figure it out. Escobar hasn't been an asset outside of August/September of last season.

The Mets don't have anyone at that position to justify keeping him stashed in Syracuse for a couple of years. That was supposed to be the role McCann played but he was a pumpkin the entire time in Flushing. They have nothing to lose by having him at this level. Amed Rosario couldn't hit either when he came up. Now he's a solid bat in Cleveland's lineup.

Crazy game with lots of twists and turns.

Really proud of this team for finding a way to win with the pitching staff so short handed. Reyes showed me something pitching 2 innings and shutting them down. Bad outing for Curtiss, which was surprising.

Yacabonis was shaky but found a way to get through his inning.

Robertson continues to impress. I hope we don’t wear him out.

But really wanted to give props to Butto, who gave us 5 innings the team desperately needed. He looked legit. Threw his FB consistently in the 94-95 range. Got outs high in the strike zone. Showed a solid slider and his change up, usually his best pitch, was good at times as well. He missed a lot of bats but got in trouble some with too many walks Not bad for our eighth starter. If/when he gets sent down tomorrow, I doubt it is the last time we see him. He might be the long man replacement for Trevor we need. Or he might end up starting a bunch of games. One thing for sure; he proved he could do it at the MLB level. His outstanding stats at AAA are nice but a solid outing in the bigs is really nice.

Felt bad for Escobar, who had things all lined up to be the hero is what might be his last game as the official starter at 3B for the Mets. Too bad he wasn’t able to come through.

Nimmo had a nice game with not one but two great catches. Polar Bear got a huge clutch HR. Kind of surprised the As pitched to him but strategies like that lead to 100 loss seasons. He has 8 in 16 games and currently leads all players in MLB. And the last 2 were absolute bombs. Pham is doing well when he gets a chance and he looks like a fine signing so far.

The Mets are now 10-6 and on track to another fine season. Still have 7 games left on the West Coast road trip. If they can go 3-4 in those games and go 6-4 on the trip overall, I would be very happy,

Peterson vs May Monday, Megill vs Kershaw Tuesday and Scherzer vs Syndergaard Wednesday. Those should all be interesting games. Heck of a place for Baty to take over as a starter.

Assuming Max is actually going to be ready to pitch Wednesday, I agree.

Clearly Escobar is well respected and he still has value. He can play a couple of positions and is a switch hitter. By all accounts he is great in the clubhouse and you have to applause how he is handling this situation (at least so far).

That said, the Mets are struggling to get make ends meet with 13 pitchers on staff. I don’t think they can run with only 12 pitchers for long. Our starting pitchers just aren’t pitching enough innings to allow this.

A position player needs to go to make room for Baty. The candidates are Locastro, Pham. Vogelbach and Escobar. I think it will probably be Lacastro.
agreed it would be a short term go back to 12 pitchers especially with a day off scheduled for next mondayand then a decision time. Locastro pinch running is more valueable than vogeys lack of hits

The Mets don't have anyone at that position to justify keeping him stashed in Syracuse for a couple of years. That was supposed to be the role McCann played but he was a pumpkin the entire time in Flushing. They have nothing to lose by having him at this level. Amed Rosario couldn't hit either when he came up. Now he's a solid bat in Cleveland's lineup.

I agree McCann was a bust. I never liked that signing. I'm glad he's gone. Too bad the Mets are stuck with paying most of his contract.

Alvarez, even with my low expectations, is probably an improvement...and he costs a lot less money.

agreed it would be a short term go back to 12 pitchers especially with a day off scheduled for next mondayand then a decision time. Locastro pinch running is more valueable than vogeys lack of hits
If I had to make the call, I would probably go with Daniel too. The ideal way to handle this is to trade him for a relief pitcher than could help the Mets. Preferably a lefty. But someone relatively solid. I expect he will get DFAed instead. Escobar would probably be more marketable but I am worried about Baty’s thumb, which had the surgery last year and is already bothering him some. Obviously not a big deal now but worried it might get worse.

Surprise me Billy. In a good way. ;)

If I had to make the call, I would probably go with Daniel too. The ideal way to handle this is to trade him for a relief pitcher than could help the Mets. Preferably a lefty. But someone relatively solid. I expect he will get DFAed instead. Escobar would probably be more marketable but I am worried about Baty’s thumb, which had the surgery last year and is already bothering him some. Obviously not a big deal now but worried it might get worse.

not like the darin ruff trade last year

we should trade vogey for the reliver on the pirates holderman that we traded for him last year

we should trade vogey for the reliver on the pirates holderman that we traded for him last year

Why would the Pirates make that deal?