2023 NY Mets thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

They are the pirates

But we are the Mets.

KgxgPQ.gif

Baty with the RBI on the first night. But then he also had a really bad looking at bat and also popped out to end the inning with bases loaded. He doesn’t look great against lefties. Mets made HARD contact against May… but then again Peterson hung a few as well. Fun game.

Baty with the RBI on the first night. But then he also had a really bad looking at bat and also popped out to end the inning with bases loaded. He doesn’t look great against lefties. Mets made HARD contact against May… but then again Peterson hung a few as well. Fun game.
I wish I could have stayed up to watch.

May has been really good this year (and in the past). Good to see the team stepping up and hitting the ball hard against quality pitching. When Nimmo. Alonso and McNeil are raking, this team can be beat to beat.

Let's see how they do against a tough lefty today (Kershaw). He might neutralize the lefty bats in the lineup (Nimmo, McNeil and Baty). It will be interesting to see if Buck gives Baty the chance to hit against Clayton.

Big game for Megill.

Nice to play well on the west coast. We caught the As at the right time. The Dodgers aren't playing like they normally do right now and looking ahead, the Giants are in the middle of a four game losing streak.

I wish I could have stayed up to watch.

May has been really good this year (and in the past). Good to see the team stepping up and hitting the ball hard against quality pitching. When Nimmo. Alonso and McNeil are raking, this team can be beat to beat.

Let's see how they do against a tough lefty today (Kershaw). He might neutralize the lefty bats in the lineup (Nimmo, McNeil and Baty). It will be interesting to see if Buck gives Baty the chance to hit against Clayton.

Big game for Megill.

Nice to play well on the west coast. We caught the As at the right time. The Dodgers aren't playing like they normally do right now and looking ahead, the Giants are in the middle of a four game losing streak.
The top 5 in the lineup match up well with just about anyone. I think Canha is better than average, but the other three hitters are a huge problem. Mets really need Álvarez, Baty and Vientos to start realizing their prospect potential if they are going to make noise this year. They won’t see too many games where the pitching can hold the other team to under 4 runs.

The top 5 in the lineup match up well with just about anyone. I think Canha is better than average, but the other three hitters are a huge problem. Mets really need Álvarez, Baty and Vientos to start realizing their prospect potential if they are going to make noise this year. They won’t see too many games where the pitching can hold the other team to under 4 runs.
Agree there are issues with the bottom of the order.

Narvaez is out for another 7 weeks or so. Guessing Alvarez and Nido continue to split playing time at C while Omar is on the IL. If Francisco continues to struggle with the bat during this time, he will surely get sent down when Narvaez is activated.

If he starts hitting and continues to do a good job handling pitchers, the Mets have a good kind of a dilemma. They will have 3 catchers and only 2 roster spots to work with.

What do the Mets do? I don't think Tomas is ever going to be a good hitter. He is solid defensively and calls a really nice game. That is enough to be a valuable asset at the MLB level. I bet Scherzer will want to continue to pitch to Nido. Narvaez is good offensively and defensively. And he hits left handed. Hard to get rid of him as well.

I think the hope short term is that Alvarez starts to hit, and ends up largely splitting time at catcher with Narvaez (who has done better playing part time). Alvarez could also serve as the DH pretty regularly. Those moves should substantially improve offensive output at catcher and DH. Nido either gets traded, sent down (not sure he has options left) or becomes Scherzer's personal catcher.

If Alvarez proves himself not ready yet, he gets sent down when Narvaez comes off the IL and maybe Vientos is called up and gets a shot at being the full time DH. If Vogelbach starts hitting, he probably will be the DH against righties and Pham or Canha will DH against lefties.

If Canha continues to struggle, Pham replaces him.

I am confident Baty will be a huge improvement over Escobar at 3B. If that kid doesn't hit, I would be surprised. He has great mechanics and the ball just flies off his bat. And he is getting it in the ball much better, which makes him a much bigger long ball threat.

When Verlander returns from the DL towards the end of the month (assuming it happens), it will be interesting to see what the Mets do to free space on the roster. Do they send Megill or Peterson to Syracuse? I doubt it. Guessing they send down or DWA one of the suspect relievers (currently Uceta, Yacabonis or Reyes) and make Megill or Peterson a reliever.

last story I saw was making Corasco the long man when Verlander comes back,

last story I saw was making Corasco the long man when Verlander comes back,
Cookie is on the IL with an elbow... so for those counting Mets have Verlander, Quintana and now Carrasco on IL and Scherzer is ailing with a bad back. Maybe a team shouldn't bet it's entire strategy 35+ year old starting pitchers? A $400mm roster and Butto and some dude named Jeff Brigham are making starts in April. And as I literally as I type this Megill got taken for a ride to deep center field... this team is going to struggle to win 90 games if they can't get some healthy pitchers.

Cookie is on the IL with an elbow... so for those counting Mets have Verlander, Quintana and now Carrasco on IL and Scherzer is ailing with a bad back. Maybe a team shouldn't bet it's entire strategy 35+ year old starting pitchers? A $400mm roster and Butto and some dude named Jeff Brigham are making starts in April. And as I literally as I type this Megill got taken for a ride to deep center field... this team is going to struggle to win 90 games if they can't get some healthy pitchers.
Was expecting Cookie to go on the IL list. Hope he can return in a month or so and come back as an effective starter.

Brigham is a reliever. Believe Lucchesi or Butto will replace Cookie in the rotation. In theory, this would only be for a starter or two, before Verlander returns to the rotation.

if Lucchesi gets a start and Verlander does return, they will be the 8th and 9th starting pitchers for the Mets this season. And we still have a week and a half to go to get to May.

After the 5-0 shutout by Keyshawn, it is becoming apparent this team is vulnerable to lefties. Man, we really could use JD Davis right now. He is hitting.347 for the Giants with 4 HRs and 14 RBI. And we get to face him next series. Ugh.

Was expecting Cookie to go on the IL list. Hope he can return in a month or so and come back as an effective starter.

Brigham is a reliever. Believe Lucchesi or Butto will replace Cookie in the rotation. In theory, this would only be for a starter or two, before Verlander returns to the rotation.

if Lucchesi gets a start and Verlander does return, they will be the 8th and 9th starting pitchers for the Mets this season. And we still have a week and a half to go to get to May.

After the 5-0 shutout by Keyshawn, it is becoming apparent this team is vulnerable to lefties. Man, we really could use JD Davis right now. He is hitting.347 for the Giants with 4 HRs and 14 RBI. And we get to face him next series. Ugh.
I watched up until the 7th inning or so and they were completely toothless against Kershaw. In the Mets defense JD had all the chances in the world to show he could do something in NYC and he fell over time and time again. Don't know what it is about these players who can't hack in in nyc.

I watched up until the 7th inning or so and they were completely toothless against Kershaw. In the Mets defense JD had all the chances in the world to show he could do something in NYC and he fell over time and time again. Don't know what it is about these players who can't hack in in nyc.

In regards to Davis he also has had hot streaks in a Mets uniform that fizzle out pretty quickly. Maybe this time is different.. that would suck.

In regards to Davis he also has had hot streaks in a Mets uniform that fizzle out pretty quickly. Maybe this time is different.. that would suck.
He had a hand injury that he played with. Bad thumb I think. Had really good numbers on hard hit balls. The numbers said he was better than what he was doing last year.

San Francisco has one of the best front offices in baseball. They are smarter than most other front offices and do a great job picking up quality pieces at bargain rates. Props to them for completely fleecing the Mets here.

The getaway game today is at 3:10 pm EST.

Max Scherzer and Noah Syndergaard face each other. I believe this is the first time each of them face their former team since they left their old organizations.

Should be a fascinating matchup. Our bullpen should be well rested. Noah has been struggling, especially with the long ball. We are set up pretty well here.

Let's see what happens.

The good news:

Another win. Nimmo is red hot. He had 5 hits today, the same as the Dodgers. Scored 2 and drove in 2. Basically beat the Dodgers by himself.

The Mets are 12-7 and 5-1 on this west coast swing so far. Even if they get swept by the Giants, they will break even out West.

Alvarez got 2 hits. Might be relaxing a bit. Continues to call good games and frame pitches well.

The bad news:

The Mets announced Carrasco has a bone spur in his elbow. His elbow was unusually swollen and painful after his last start, which prompted a examination.

They gave him a shot of cortisone in his elbow and will see how he feels in 3-5 days.

The last time he had a bone spur in his right elbow was 18 months ago. He had elbow surgery and was out for the rest of the season. I think this is a good possibility again now.

Max got ejected for having a sticky glove hand before the 4th inning. He was very upset by this. Heard the ump who ejected him has also ejected two other pitchers for sticky hands. Heard this ump is the only ump who has ejected pitchers for this.

MLB has a mandatory 10 game suspension for pitchers who get ejected for excessive stickiness. So unless sometime unusual happens, Max is done for April.

Last update I saw, Verlander is not expected back until early May. And of course, Cookie is out for a while. If he was able to get come in early May, I think that would be a minor miracle.

So who do we have left to start games until early May?

Senga
Butto
Peterson
Megill
Lucchesi

All the guys over 35 are out. Ouch.

Butto was just sent down and has to stay down for at least 10 days before he is called up, unless someone goes on the IL. The Mets just placed Cookie on the IL, so that is not a problem.

Sounds like if/when Max is suspended, he is going to sue MLB.. He might have a chance to win that lawsuit.

Looking ahead to the Giants series, Max was ejected after pitching 3 innings. That put a major burden on the Mets bullpen. Don’t think the Mets have had a pitcher get past the 6th inning all season. Not good.

This series will be played Thursday to Sunday. No off days until the Monday travel day. This long stretch of games with no days off is making the bullpen situation even more precarious.

Projected Matchups vs Giants:

Thursday 4/20 Senga vs Manaea
Friday 4/21 TBD* vs DeSciafani
Saturday 4/22 Peterson vs Webb
Sunday 4/23 Megill vs TBD

* projected to be Butto

Butto pitched for the Mets on 4/16 so this would be his normal turn in the rotation.

Heard the Mets are considering starting Lucchesi instead of Butto. I hope not. Butto looked really good against the As.

Monday is a travel day so they could start Senga on Tuesday and skip the fifth starter next week. Probably should still call Lucchesi up and have him available as a long guy.

Start Senga, Butto and Peterson against the Nats at home next week and then go with Peterson, Megill, ,Lucchesi and Senga in the 4 game series against the Braves, also at home.

Sounds like Verlander is pitching a rehab game in the minors next week. The Syracuse Mets are in town until Sunday, then head to Toledo. Unfortunate. Could see him pitch in Binghamton or Staten Islander rather than traveling all the way to Toledo. Not sure if the Rumble Ponies are in town next week.

Last edited:
seems like if this is such a big deal..

have the game start.. the pitchers glove goes to a MLB person as they come off and they give it back when they go on the field.

from the sounds of it the exec is there anyway.

have them watch the pitcher wash his hands every inning before they go back out.. after that anything they do has to be from something else. they bring out with them and if the umps cant find it all is fair.

So Max dropped his appeal so that he can return as soon as possible. 10 games right now is brutal. You expect a veteran to be smarter. Hopefully he learns from this.

Despite all the bad things happening, the Mets continue to win. Senga was very good for 4 innings and lost it in the fifth. That seems to be a pattern for him. Really hoping to see some Mets starters past 6 innings soon. Raley, Curtiss, Smith and Brigham all had to pitch an inning and will likely not be available today. On the positive side, none gave up a run.

Nimmo remains red hot. Squirrel is heating up now too. Polar Bear got another homer and continues to lead MLB in HRs. Might be having his best year. Sure hope so.

Escobar got the start with the Giants using a lefty. He got two hits and one was an HR. Good for him.

Nido went 0-4 and is really lost at the plate. Had a great spring. Disappointed. Alvarez looks more comfortable every day. Hoping he breaks out soon.

Another missed day for Marte, who hurt his neck sliding into Segura and has not been the same since. Hope he returns to play soon. Nice that Squirrel can fill in there and we have Guillorme to slot into 2B but we need Starling back.

Mentioned I thought Butto would pitch the game today. It is going to be Lucchesi instead. The reason is because of who the Mets are playing. The Giants have been very good against righties and Awful against lefties so far. Check out this excerpt from the following well written preview of this series.

San Francisco's otherworldly platoon splits continue; they're second in OPS against right-handers as a team, second-worst against lefties

So the Mets went with the stats and bet on Joey, who has been pitching pretty well for Syracuse.

I think we throw another lefty at them tomorrow with Peterson. And then Megill on Sunday before we get a badly needed day off to travel back to New York.

Hope Joey can get through 5 innings. Then need some combo of Uceta, Hunter and Yacabonis to get us to the 8th, when Ottovino and Robertson will presumably finish up.

Amazing given all that had gone wrong, this team is 13-7.

So Max dropped his appeal so that he can return as soon as possible. 10 games right now is brutal. You expect a veteran to be smarter. Hopefully he learns from this.

Despite all the bad things happening, the Mets continue to win. Senga was very good for 4 innings and lost it in the fifth. That seems to be a pattern for him. Really hoping to see some Mets starters past 6 innings soon. Raley, Curtiss, Smith and Brigham all had to pitch an inning and will likely not be available today. On the positive side, none gave up a run.

Nimmo remains red hot. Squirrel is heating up now too. Polar Bear got another homer and continues to lead MLB in HRs. Might be having his best year. Sure hope so.

Escobar got the start with the Giants using a lefty. He got two hits and one was an HR. Good for him.

Nido went 0-4 and is really lost at the plate. Had a great spring. Disappointed. Alvarez looks more comfortable every day. Hoping he breaks out soon.

Another missed day for Marte, who hurt his neck sliding into Segura and has not been the same since. Hope he returns to play soon. Nice that Squirrel can fill in there and we have Guillorme to slot into 2B but we need Starling back.

Mentioned I thought Butto would pitch the game today. It is going to be Lucchesi instead. The reason is because of who the Mets are playing. The Giants have been very good against righties and Awful against lefties so far. Check out this excerpt from the following well written preview of this series.

San Francisco's otherworldly platoon splits continue; they're second in OPS against right-handers as a team, second-worst against lefties

So the Mets went with the stats and bet on Joey, who has been pitching pretty well for Syracuse.

I think we throw another lefty at them tomorrow with Peterson. And then Megill on Sunday before we get a badly needed day off to travel back to New York.

Hope Joey can get through 5 innings. Then need some combo of Uceta, Hunter and Yacabonis to get us to the 8th, when Ottovino and Robertson will presumably finish up.

Thank God for Pete, Nimmo, solid D and consistency from the pen.

"J.D. Davis and Darin Ruf are both raking, posting a combined .928 OPS so far this year, with Ruf knocking in the only run in regulation on Wednesday. The end result of the trade with the Mets has been absolutely stunning, with New York essentially giving the Giants a starting third baseman and three prospects for free."

Naturally Ruf puts his Giants uniform back on and now he's 'raking'.