2023 NY Mets thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Whatever was gained by sweeping the Phillies is basically gone now. This is why I won’t get excited about this team until I see them win three or four series in a row. Just utterly uninspiring.

until Lindor and Pete hit better than .230 they are gonna struggle and now that the kids are sluggish as well so is the entire offense.

I’ve never seen a group of hitters who are so bipolar. Is there something about the Mets strategy that they are all so easy to figure out? Baty looked terrible yesterday and is clearly regressing… Vientos looked terrible the game before… now Alonso is in a slump… I continue to wonder if the Mets wouldn’t have been better of with Rosario than Lindor in the long run.

More questions than answers with this lineup. Nimmo, Alonso, McNeil, Lindor and now Alvarez have proven they are a part of the future. That leaves four missing bats who can cover for the heart of the lineup when they are slumping. Not seeing it yet with Baty and I think Buck has messed up Vientos by not playing him enough.

I’ve never seen a group of hitters who are so bipolar. Is there something about the Mets strategy that they are all so easy to figure out? Baty looked terrible yesterday and is clearly regressing… Vientos looked terrible the game before… now Alonso is in a slump… I continue to wonder if the Mets wouldn’t have been better of with Rosario than Lindor in the long run.

More questions than answers with this lineup. Nimmo, Alonso, McNeil, Lindor and now Alvarez have proven they are a part of the future. That leaves four missing bats who can cover for the heart of the lineup when they are slumping. Not seeing it yet with Baty and I think Buck has messed up Vientos by not playing him enough.

Being a DH can be tough. Being a sometimes DH is tougher, especially if you are a rookie. We've seen what we're going to see from Vogelbach.

Interesting how the 'hot' guys on the roster are the guys whose job might be on the line the most: Escobar, Canha, Marte and Pham.

Interesting how the 'hot' guys on the roster are the guys whose job might be on the line the most: Escobar, Canha, Marte and Pham.
But it’s fools gold… all of those dudes need to e gone after this season.

Gonna get swept at home by the Blue Jay's? Sigh...

Great way to then go on the road to Atlanta

Another valiant comeback - that comes up short. We must lead the league.

The Mets tend to get 'up' for the Braves and the Yanks. But 'up' doesn't mean they win.
They play the Yankees next week at home. Five of the next eight against the Braves and Yanks. Would love for them to surprise me and go at least 3-2 against them.

The Mets should have been shopping Tomas for a few weeks now. Sounds like there is a good chance he will not get picked up by another team and we will see him in Syracuse.

That would be good for him. I think he can hit but like a much of Mets, he is all screwed up and needs a chance to play his way out of it.

Meanwhile Lindor looks hopelessly lost and could really benefit from a couple of days rest. But the only backup shortstop is already in Syracuse (Guillorme). Vientos is not playing very much and predictably struggling. Guessing we will see Mark back in Syracuse soon and Luis back up in NYC.

Baty has been slumping as well and I would not be shocked to see him sent down and Escobar given the starting job at 3B again.

And Mauricio, who had just started working out in the outfield, has suffered an injury in Rochester that might prove serious.

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/new-york-mets-lose-ronny-mauricio-to-injury

Eppler tried to use Senga on 4 days rest Sunday. It was an absolute disaster. If it wasn't him, it would have been Peterson, who has been struggling some at AAA. Neither choice was really attractive, but if he gave Peterson the start, Senga would have at least been well rested for the Braves. I am sure he knew Senga's ERA at home is way better than it is on the road and that played a role in the decision. When it rains, it pours.

I keep begging him to go with a 6 man rotation. I think it is the best hope to keep the starting pitchers healthy and relatively effective.

Well, home runs can be good things, too.

The Braves have scored 39 more runs than the Mets this year. Ronald Acuna Jr. is hitting .333 with 12 home runs and have 32 RBIs. Francisco Lindor is hitting .216 with 11 homers and has 42 RBIs.

Go figure.

Last edited:
Braves 8th:
Ottavino pitching
Murphy fouls out
Rosario doubles to left, takes 3rd on an error by McNeil
Albies intentionally walked
Ozuna hits into an apparent inning ending double play but Albies is declared safe at second on a review. Rosario scores to make it Mets 4 Braves 6.
Arcia hits a bouncer to third but Baty can't get there in time to throw the runner out at first.

Gary Cohen at this point says that Rosario's run was unearned until this point but with Arcia's hit, it became an earned run.

Harris lines out to McNeil to end the inning.

I'd never heard of an unearned run being turned into an earned run by subsequent events. I guess the thinking is that, if there had been no error, Rosario would have been at second and moved to 3rd on the would-be double play and then scored on Arcia's infield hit. Or would have tried to go home on that ball? Are they assuming too much here?

The Mets got a single, homer, walk and homer in the 3rd inning but it wasn't a bust out. They got one other hit the whole night. They now have 6 home runs in their last two games and lost both. McNeil in left may not be a great idea, although he's performed well in the outfield in the past.

Braves 8th:
Ottavino pitching
Murphy fouls out
Rosario doubles to left, takes 3rd on an error by McNeil
Albies intentionally walked
Ozuna hits into an apparent inning ending double play but Albies is declared safe at second on a review. Rosario scores to make it Mets 4 Braves 6.
Arcia hits a bouncer to third but Baty can't get there in time to throw the runner out at first.

Gary Cohen at this point says that Rosario's run was unearned until this point but with Arcia's hit, it became an earned run.

Harris lines out to McNeil to end the inning.

I'd never heard of an unearned run being turned into an earned run by subsequent events. I guess the thinking is that, if there had been no error, Rosario would have been at second and moved to 3rd on the would-be double play and then scored on Arcia's infield hit. Or would have tried to go home on that ball? Are they assuming too much here?
This is the example Wikipedia used fwiw

if there are runners on base and a batter hits a foul fly ball that is dropped, and then bats in the runners on base through a base hit (including a home run), the runs are unearned for the time being, as the runners should not have advanced. If the results of the remaining at-bats in the inning would not have scored the runners, the runs remain unearned. However, if results of subsequent at-bats would have scored the runs anyway, the runs would count as earned, unless they only would have scored as a result of a subsequent error or passed ball.

This is the example Wikipedia used fwiw

if there are runners on base and a batter hits a foul fly ball that is dropped, and then bats in the runners on base through a base hit (including a home run), the runs are unearned for the time being, as the runners should not have advanced. If the results of the remaining at-bats in the inning would not have scored the runners, the runs remain unearned. However, if results of subsequent at-bats would have scored the runs anyway, the runs would count as earned, unless they only would have scored as a result of a subsequent error or passed ball.

I don't know why baseball spends so much time figuring out if a statistic was deserved or not. This isn't done in other sports, ('earned goals', etc.), and they play twice as many games as basketball or hockey and ten times as many as football. The stats are more likely to work themselves out in baseball. It's just something else to argue about.

Just what the Mets need: Pete Alonso leaves the game after being hit by a pitch in the wrist in the first inning. They're saying that Tommy Pham or Mark Canha might take over at first, (how about Vientos?) Just a little difference there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom