2023 PLL Season | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 PLL Season

We got a taste of lax video games with the Casey Powell game. It was just okay at best. It’s time Rabil gets a quality game on the market.

Is it me or is atlas defense look as bad as cuse did year ago? They just can’t stop anything and absolutely terrible in transition. Every turnover from atlas offense high percent turns into goal other way. Feel bad for porter and concannon cause they don’t get alot of help. Their offense also has to be way better with ball and bury shots since their defense isn’t very good. Just falling apart atlas.

Watched the atlas cannons game as well. Seemed like a horrendous coaching performance from Atlas. A goalie change was the least of their problems and not even necessary, even if it was nice to see Porter out there. Myles Jones has been struggling all season and was in a 1 for 1 trade with another struggling player, yet with the amount of times they let him initiate you would think he was their go-to star. He could not get any separation from his man and would often bull into traffic and lose it before even thinking about a pass. There was a time when he was one of the best passing middies in the country, but now he looks not even close to that.

Molloy, like Jones, is another once incredible but now struggling player. They looked almost identical off the dodge yesterday. No separation and the bull dodge accomplishing nothing. Putting him at attack was never going to be the answer.

Im obviously horribly biased, but was surprised they gave hardly any time to Curry who can still draw slides with his speed, even if his playmaking isn't on the level of some others. He is a heck of a lot faster than the current version of Jones and Costabile.

PLL is a totally different animal than college. The longer shot clock in college means you can wear down a defense and exploit errors late in the clock for a lot of your goals. The D has to survive a lot longer without any sort of mistake. PLL you need a slide/rotation NOW or the rest of the possession will be a rushed mess with nothing but a desperate buzzer-beater at the end. Either get a quick slide or get something quick off a pick play/two man game or youre screwed.

Then with the constant back and forth, short field (too short IMO), and minimal bench, it seems like the dodgers are often gassed. The organization has to be on point with the box as well. Delays getting your guys out there and suddenly you only have 20 second work with and you have not even tried anything yet. That killed Atlas a lot as well. Cannons did a far better job of quickly getting a dodge off with the offense organized. They have also wisely used two way middies, which seems almost required in this format.

Atlas offense was awful. Idk what happened to Coach Pressler he was a great coach at Duke and Bryant but his final yr at Bryant his team was stacked with Logan McGovern, Mark Orourke and Benny Abladian all at attack plus a solid goalie yet they lost to Hobart in the NEC tournament. No only lost but only put up like 8 goals with those guys on offense against freakin Hobart. Then this yr he did an awful job for Atlas yet has talent on that team. Totally agree about Miles Jones who just forces it with double and triple coverage he's to slow to beat anyone off the dodge. Curry should have been playing a lot more all season. When he did get quality mins he produced. They have no one else at midfield who can beat there man one on one yet he can and barerly plays.

One of my biggest concerns when Atlas made the trade for Jones and added Molloy was that Pressler would approach those additions as some kind of cure-all for the offense - an offense whose biggest problem was ineffective ball movement from a schematically mismatched midfield unit. The addition of physical dodgers was not what they needed (which I believed then and is evident now). They needed players that, to points above, could initiate, get the defense moving, and either beat a man and/or move the ball quickly. The attack is built to feast off of that game plan. I worried that Pressler would sideline Curry (I'll admit my own bias here as well, but there really isn't any other emerging midfielder on this active roster who was vulnerable to such a move) in favor of these additions.

I've been out of the country and unable to watch the last few weeks, so I'm hoping you all can confirm my suspicions (you essentially have already), did Curry's playing time decrease the last few weeks?

He showed flashes of strong, initiating impact (the exact kind this offense needed) this season when he was given consistent playing time.

I have difficulty deciding between what was more detrimental to the Atlas this season: Pressler as a GM or Pressler as a coach.

I'll refrain from going on another rant about Dearth and his exclusion from the lineup for my own sanity

I agree with all of the above comments on the Atlas. Pressler seemed in over his head or didn't know how to relate to older athletes?? Myles Jones was painful to watch. Curry, Dearth and Porter all arguably underutilized given the team's horrific play. Will be interesting to see what happens with the team and the Cuse players for next season given the debacle this season. I'm sure Pressler will be given another chance but I'm not optimistic that he can turn things around. A season like this last one does nothing to enhance the career prospects of the Cuse players.

Very curious what the PLL thinks the definition of "Upstate NY" is ...

I guess the Redwoods haven't leaked out.

Very curious what the PLL thinks the definition of "Upstate NY" is ...

I guess the Redwoods haven't leaked out.

I think you know.

Great Danes GIF by UAlbany

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom