2023 Spring Practice | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Spring Practice

When did the toe drag become a thing.. I know its the thing now and has been for awhile.. But when did it replace actually just catching the ball and going to the ground? Did someone decide it was easier or more efficient vs the way guys caught the ball 30-40 yrs ago?
I was taught this 30 years ago at multiple P5 camps

That was a nice interview.

One quibble. The reporters need to listen to what Dino is saying and pick up on it.

At one point early in the interview, he was praising Jeremiah Wilson and mentioned that he practices with great effort; that he practices exactly the way the staff wants players to practice.

While doing that, he also mentioned there was a player on offense who also always practices the right way. It was clear he wanted to talk about that player and tell a good story.

But the reporters just ignored it.

When you have a coach who doesn't say much and clearly wants to say something, you really need to follow up on these things.

Hope someone asks him about it soon. Also was genuinely interested in who that player on offense is. I suspect it is a young player who is emerging.

One quibble. The reporters need to listen to what Dino is saying and pick up on it.

At one point early in the interview, he was praising Jeremiah Wilson and mentioned that he practices with great effort; that he practices exactly the way the staff wants players to practice.

While doing that, he also mentioned there was a player on offense who also always practices the right way. It was clear he wanted to talk about that player and tell a good story.

When you have a coach who doesn't say much and clearly wants to say something, you really need to follow up on these things.

Hope someone asks him about it soon. Also was genuinely interested in who that player on offense is. I suspect it is a young player who is emerging.
Why does my gut tell me it was big man clements from cba Albany?? Idk I think he will be special

I go to the Spring Game every year, and never view it as anything more than a chance to get an SU football fix, and perhaps see a handful of players who never got much field time the previous year. I don’t evaluate players based on spring game performances, because I’ve never seen a direct correlation to success in the fall. It’s just fun and interesting.
I actually have been able to get a feel for a few of the players based on the spring game performances. For instance Lamson looked good not only during the game but in drills. It was obvious that Allen was a player and and also that none of our punters were very talented.

I noticed that, too. Couldn't believe they ignored the crumb that Dino was willing to share.

I noticed that, too. Couldn't believe they ignored the crumb that Dino was willing to share.
My guess is going to be Donovan Brown. Obviously showing up in clips during media availability. We know Dino likes him because he let him address the team doing a Dino impression after NCSt win.

What else would they be for?
People in the media to go back to their desks to take snippets of what Baber said and make their own stories out of it. The fact that the whole thing is recorded in one piece isn't really the point.

Journo fail.

Some miscellaneous thoughts on the offense as of today….

This spring is a great opportunity for the centers, tight ends and quarterbacks on the roster.

i think Reed was all but penciled in as starter at the center position until the NCAA vetoed that plan.

This is go time for Josh Ilaoa. He has had chances to play the last couple of seasons but has thus far really struggled in games. This might be his last chance to establish himself.

I expect we will see other OL given chances to play center as well. Wes Hoeh for sure. Maybe LI Cruz, Petry, Kauhi or Bradford too.

The way I see it, Enrique is a lock at LT. More is going to start at RT. Bleich is starting at RG. those are givens.

Ellis is a strong favorite to start at LG but he did not play well last season and I could see someone taking that spot from him, especially if he tries to play at 375 again this season. If SU ever updates the weights on the 2023 roster, his will be the first I will check. i have been looking for pics of him practicing this spring to try and see how he looks and he will be the first guy I look at when I arrive for the spring game. Really hope he gets in good shape. I think he can be a pro if he gets serious about conditioning.

if he stays jumbo sized, would not be surprised if Bradford steps in here. He looked decent when he got his chance last season. Hoeh might be our most athletic OL and could be a factor here as well.

It should be obvious to everyone that Laquint Allen is going to start at RB. The big question at RB this spring regards who will be his top backup? Parkman, Daniels and Price are the contenders. Price has the advantage in experience and is 25 or 30 pounds heavier than the 2 true frosh. I have no idea who will win this battle.

Let’s talk fullbacks. The Rhino Era is now behind us. Will it also mark the end of the use of fullbacks at SU? Could be. No players have been brought in that have been identified as FBs and the remaining players who attempted to play the position (Hoeh and Mang) have not generated much confidence they can do it. I am thinking we will still see TEs regularly and some sets with 2 TEs but we will see a TE lining up in the backfield a lot less often.

That bring us to the subject of TEs. We have 4 scholarship TEs on the roster: Mang, Maher, Clement and Villari. Clement had knee surgery in August of 2022 so even though he is on campus as an early enrollee, I don’t think he is participating in practices this spring. Think I read Villari is ’banged up’ and not prscticing. Hopefully that changes soon. Have heard he is stepping up his game and may be emerging. Maher has athletic ability and has been in the program for a while now. It is out up or shut up time for him, I think. Mang has the most experience and is probably the best blocker. Would not be surprised to see any one of them win the job. Or to see us take someone from the portal once spring ball winds down.

I choose to ignore Gadsden when discussing TEs because imho, he played WR last year and there are reports he is lining up as a WR all the time this spring. Sounds like he is taking over as a slot guy, which I think suits him best.

We have a bevy of other WRs on the roster, but surely Alford is going to be a factor at outside WR. Think Jones will as well. Adams is probably next in line and I think Pena will be the backup slot guy. Brown and Hatcher remain the great hopes to emergeand realize their potential. Both need to get stronger.
Just an FYI on Ellis. He played at the same weight maybe even heavier his first year as well. I wouldn’t make too much of the difference on the roster . I think the biggest factor in his step back from year 1 was that he was banged up. It’s tough for anybody when lower body banged up but being that big makes it even harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom