2023 Spring Practice | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Spring Practice

Bleich has been out again. Not sure he'll ever be healthy.
Hmm also looks like Shrader is in a thumb brace. Based on the position they had his hand in the original brace maybe it was a thumb injury and not elbow . That would be much better.

Doubt he’s full go if he tore his ACL in August.
Thought I read an interview recently with Clement where he talked about his knee injury and said ‘when I found out the cartilage was torn….’

Is it possible he only tore cartilage and if so, would that make it possible he is full go this spring?

I don’t know who else Dino would describe as a young TE that would be capable of getting him excited Ike that.

This is another of those areas Stephen Bailey would have surely discussed in his practice reports. I hope one of our media members can determine the status of Clement sometime soon.

All Acc player by the end of his time here mark my words.

Also, as he eluded too, D Adams on O is gonna be a problem for defenses. Kids got some great after catch shake.
Is Clark playing safety or CB? Feels like he could do both.

Can do both but I think corner? I may be wrong here
Read he played a couple of series at CB but I think he is mostly playing safety.

The Long 3-3-5 is supposed to feature players moving around, switching positions, to create chaos on offense.

Coach White chose not to use these aspects of the defense very much. I saw Caleb drop into pass coverage a few times but not much else. Safeties and corners did not switch. LBs and safeties did not switch. DL and LBs rarely switched.

I suspect Coach Long is going to do more switching this season and this is a small indicator that this is going to happen. We have an experienced defense and a number of players with the size and athletic ability to pull these kinds of things off.

Is Clark playing safety or CB? Feels like he could do both.

He probably could do both, but for now he is a safety.

Most of the teams we face will use a lot of three and four receiver sets. When facing three, four or five receivers our field safety and our boundary safety will line up on a slot receiver much like a slot corner would do in a more traditional defense. Clark is a very good option for field or boundary safety.

What we do with our personnel moving forward is going to be influenced by individual performances (who can do what) and injuries. Our depth is already very concerning. We are not three deep at CB or Safety. We only have two scholarship QB’s for spring. We aren’t two-deep on the offensive line for spring (only 9 scholarship guys). And, as far as I can tell, we only have two serviceable RB’s (both of the freshmen are on the small side).

The LB room projected to be deep and talented but today we picked up a commitment from a LB who will be a RS-Jr in the fall. Why? I know some of the LB’s are limited this spring as they recover from injuries and offseason procedures, but is someone not healing as expected? I think Thompson, Wax, McDonald and Sparrow are all out or limited. Add Roon to the list of LB’s who are limited this spring.

Last edited:
He probably could do both, but for now he is a safety.

Most of the teams we face will use a lot of three and four receiver sets. When facing three, four or five receivers our field safety and our boundary safety will line up on a slot receiver much like a slot corner would do in a more traditional defense. Clark is a very good option for field or boundary safety.

What we do with our personnel moving forward is going to be influenced by individual performances (who can do what) and injuries. Our depth is already very concerning. We are not three deep at CB or Safety. We only have two scholarship QB’s for spring. We aren’t two-deep on the offensive line for spring (only 9 scholarship guys). And, as far as I can tell, we only have two serviceable RB’s (both of the freshmen are on the small side).

The LB room projected to be deep and talented but to today we picked up a commitment from a LB who will be a RS-Jr in the fall. Why? I know some of the LB’s are limited this spring as they recovery from injuries and offseason procedures, but is someone not healing as expected? I think Thompson, Wax, McDonald and Sparrow are all out or limited.
Depth and will be needed next season

isnt that what diving is for? I always felt toe drag was awkward and slowed you down.
Diving often takes your feet off the ground or at least leads to less body control. Dragging the toe lets a guy catch the ball thrown a foot a two out of bounds while staying in bounds.

Last edited:
If we can avoid such amass of injury’s and get some more depth to fill us out I beg to differ.
Yeah I think we are a 6 win floor and 8 win ceiling. But with shredder healthy all year MAYBE we can get to 9 if stars align. Either way this is not a bad product they’re putting on the field. We are not trending down.

We have known strength at every position except OL. OL will dictate how the season goes. I fully expect that DB will go heavy into the portal for OL when it opens. Now just because they try to get the players does not mean that they will come. We will have to see what the roster looks like come fall camp before making any real predictions.

Success this year depends on how the OL performs… and whether or not the WRs can dial it up… oh, and if Shrader can stay healthy…and of course, can the DL get pressure to help our youngish DBs… and can the LBs round into form…and can the new coaches all get their players on the same page…and yes, can we find a consistent punter…and who does placeking…and…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom