2023 USMNT | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Soccer has some weird takes on in game discipline.

A guy goes out of control and clocks a dude with a shoulder with no attempt to really play the ball or make a safe play. Thats a no call.

Multiple out right tackling is just a common foul.

I mean in football if you were to take a guy down from behind with a jersey grab you get more penalty than soccer does.

Then 1 ref tries to control stuff by throwing red cards around. I get tossing guys, but there is a big difference between getting tossed for dangerous play and for guys pushing where a push to the chest is just accepted behavior but if it slips up to the throat is basically a 2 game deal. Mexico had multiple guys throw punches and while the US needs to be better with walking away I'm not sure just standing there and taking it is also the only way to handle it if the other team is going to take it up a notch.

Seems like a middle ground needs to happen. Some of this maybe use hockey rules. You sit for 5-10 min instead of ejection. you do a better job of controlling your temper and maybe its 11 on 9 for a time and players would think twice about some of the stupid stuff.

Less the rules and more a ref that had no control over the match and was all over the board.

Mexico loves to see what they can get away with...

One major difference is Balogun attracts a lot of attention but also has had some good hold up play and the threat he is with it at his feet to turn quickly is important. Has opened things up for Pulisic on the wing and he has been sharp.
Astute observation. Noticed that immediately. He has the ability to drop between the lines and receive the ball at pace with his back to goal and maintain possession or get fouled. That creates the ability to make that little back pass to advancing mid and the immediate diagonal to spring the winger. Our other #9s have not demonstrated that ability. It makes a huge difference.

I'll provide more detailed thoughts later.

Less the rules and more a ref that had no control over the match and was all over the board.

Mexico loves to see what they can get away with...
Ref was awful. Just awful. Completely lost control. Unfortunately, too often the norm with Concacaf refs. Should have been multiple yellows both ways and would have been in Europe. The reffing in Concacaf is a disgrace. All too often this is what matches turn into because of the reffing.

Having said that our guys have to keep their heads. The Mexico guy got the red for the foul. We are up 2-0 and up a man. Let it go. No excuse to get in the guy's face. Point at the scoreboard. I'm not sure what McKennie did to warrant the red but why put yourself in that spot in the first place.

Just absolutely inexcusable for Dest.

We now go into the final down Dest, Adams and McKennie.

Last edited:
Who else is stuck watching on Univision because they don't have Paramount+?
I have Paramount+. Still watched it on Univision. Don't understand 75% of what is being said but don't mind that. Allows me to focus on my conclusions and not be swayed by what the commentators are saying.

Ref was awful. Just awful. Completely lost control. Unfortunately, too often the norm with Concacaf refs. Should have been multiple yellows both ways and would have been in Europe. The reffing in Concacaf is a disgrace. All too often this is what matches turn into because of the reffing.

Having said that our guys have to keep their heads. The Mexico guy got the red for the foul. We are up 2-0 and up a man. Let it go. No excuse to get in the guy's face. Point at the scoreboard. Inexcusable for Dest.

We now go into the final down Dest, Adams and McKennie.

Yep just amateur hour officiating.

Also no excuse for the lack of discipline on our side for sure. Especially from a couple of guys a bit in limbo club wise after both played pretty well in this one.

Astute observation. Noticed that immediately. He has the ability to drop between the lines and receive the ball at pace with his back to goal and maintain possession or get fouled. That creates the ability to make that little back pass to advancing mid and the immediate diagonal to spring the winger. Our other #9s have not demonstrated that ability. It makes a huge difference.

I'll provide more detailed thoughts later.

Yep. I really like Pepi as well but once Balogun gets more experience with the national team he will likely be hard to unseat. A lot of things Balogun positively impactes that may not be as obvious to the untrained eye. Will be interesting to watch. Also glad he is ok as that kind of challenge can do some major damage.

I hope everyone enjoyed watching the Reyna show in the midfield. Now that GGG is back he’ll be relegated to the bench and when he does get on the pitch it’ll be out of position. Settling for mediocre at the very best is a very interesting decision by the federation. So much talent, likely our most talented generation ever and we’re entrusting GGG to maximize it?

I hope everyone enjoyed watching the Reyna show in the midfield. Now that GGG is back he’ll be relegated to the bench and when he does get on the pitch it’ll be out of position. Settling for mediocre at the very best is a very interesting decision by the federation. So much talent and we’re entrusting GGG to maximize it?

I'm gonna wait and see on this one. As much as I'm annoyed with bringing Greg back, I doubt he gets the nod unless there is a firm commitment to clean up and move forward with the Reyna situation which includes making sure one of the best players on the roster is on the pitch. The moment there appears to be a rift or a fit Reyna is benched out of the blue I doubt there is much of a leash.

The next few years, WC 2026 included, are a massive opportunity for North American Soccer. You will have Messi in Miami- which I suspect you can stay tuned for another big name or two to come stateside as well then you have Copa America and then the World Cup. Lots of opportunity to throw gasoline on the growing interest and support for the sport in this country.

Curious to see who starts vs Canada without McKennie. Could go with more experience in de la Torre or a more natural CDM like Johnny Cardoso. I'm excited to see either guy tbh.

I'm gonna wait and see on this one. As much as I'm annoyed with bringing Greg back, I doubt he gets the nod unless there is a firm commitment to clean up and move forward with the Reyna situation which includes making sure one of the best players on the roster is on the pitch. The moment there appears to be a rift or a fit Reyna is benched out of the blue I doubt there is much of a leash.

The next few years, WC 2026 included, are a massive opportunity for North American Soccer. You will have Messi in Miami- which I suspect you can stay tuned for another big name or two to come stateside as well then you have Copa America and then the World Cup. Lots of opportunity to throw gasoline on the growing interest and support for the sport in this country.
I hope so, I’d be so much less annoyed if I had any kind of faith that GGG would pick out most talented roster and play our players to their strengths. Last night the interim to the interim had us playing free flowing smooth offense better than anything we’ve seen GGG do. I just hope he’s learned over the last 6 months.

I hope so, I’d be so much less annoyed if I had any kind of faith that GGG would pick out most talented roster and play our players to their strengths. Last night the interim to the interim had us playing free flowing smooth offense better than anything we’ve seen GGG do. I just hope he’s learned over the last 6 months.
Somebody explain to me why the US team is going back to Berhalter after an interim coach just dominated Mexico. Why not give him some more run, and see if he can do better tham Berhalter. You could always make a change later if it does not work out.
The only problem I saw was a lack of discipline from US players in the end game, granted that the Ref was horrible and Mexico was playing like a bunch of thugs.

Last edited:
USSF wouldn't wait to name the coach until this happened, would they?!? :rolleyes:

Talk about a memorable first cap for Balo... welcome to CONCACAF and our rivals to the south.

Somebody explain to me why the US team is going back to Berhalter after an interim coach just dominated Mexico. Why not give him some more run, and see if he can do better tham Berhalter. You could always make a change later if it does not work out.
The only problem I saw was a lack of discipline from US players in the end game, grantecd that the Ref was horrible and Mexico was playing like a bunch of thugs.
Berhalter is who the overlords of USSF (and MLS) want.

This is all we ask. However GGG hasn’t shown the ability to do even one of these things during an entire cycle. You know it’s bad when Mexico fans are rejoicing after we bottled them 3-0 last night.

This is all we ask. However GGG hasn’t shown the ability to do even one of these things during an entire cycle. You know it’s bad when Mexico fans are rejoicing after we bottled them 3-0 last night.
He literally is the guy because he's an MLS person and connected with the "good ol boys."

Look at his non-CONCACAF results. He's no different from Arena and Bradley (maybe a worst tactician than Bob).

The US Soccer time and time again proves they are not serious.

With them hosting the World Cup, they had the opportunity and incentive to start with a clean slate.

Horrible hire, for many reasons.

GGG would never have put out this starting XI. We would have seen Roldan, Zardes, Morris, Long, Arriola, Acosta.

The line is virtually unbettable for me tonight. 90min ML is -110, Draw no bet ML is -250. All that considering we’re going to be missing 3 starters. Tough bet. I’ll likely talk myself into the 110 because we should dominate the ball and with our attack finally running smooth, we should have a few opportunities to put this away in the 90 minute window. Canadas midfield is shaky at best so we should be able to exploit that, and they don’t have the depth we do.

Looks like no Miles (hammy?) either...

Some history...
- 23 yrs, 314 days: Youngest USMNT starting XI in a final
- Musah, Reyna & Scally: The first trio of 20-year-olds to start a final for the USMNT
- Reyna: Becomes the only player to appear in two finals before his 21st birthday

Looks like no Miles (hammy?) either...

Some history...
- 23 yrs, 314 days: Youngest USMNT starting XI in a final
- Musah, Reyna & Scally: The first trio of 20-year-olds to start a final for the USMNT
- Reyna: Becomes the only player to appear in two finals before his 21st birthday
Bummer.

Game is in locally on Spectrum on channel 444. It is in Spanish but better than nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom