2023 USMNT | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Came across this Hugo interview from about a year ago. He talks all things soccer.. you can skip ahead to US coach talk, USMNT talk, system talk, etc...

Here is a more recent article...

This would be a home run but I’ve heard they’re not interested for whatever reason.
No surprise. USSF are run by complete morons. Hugo has time and again mentioned how poor the integration and acceptance is in the Latino community for US Soccer. Legit criticism is not handled well by the big wigs.

Still an upgrade over GGG.
Based on what? The fact that he is French?

There is nothing in his former coaching stops to indicate that he brings anything special to the table or that he would be an improvement over Berhalter.

Loved him as a player but no thank you as a manager. Did an awful job with CP
Croatia - Netherlands was a great game yesterday.

Croatia's midfield is so good and so fun to watch. Never rushed. Almost always making the right read. Very few mistakes.

Based on what? The fact that he is French?

There is nothing in his former coaching stops to indicate that he brings anything special to the table or that he would be an improvement over Berhalter.
Based on what I said above. I find it hard to believe someone could be less competent tactically and from a substitute standpoint than GGG was. Subbing on Moore against Wales was disgraceful. Our record outside of CONCACAF and away from home was awful.

I have been very impressed with how tough El Salvador has been to play since he took over.

Despite a clear talent gap, the games vs El Salvador have been tight affairs.

I agree. If we cannot get a top-level intl coach, I'd vote for Hugo.
He's the only manager that I see who could elevate the current side that's not a top-tier manager in Europe.

Based on what I said above.
All you said above is that would still be an upgrade over GGG. There is zero substance to that statement.
I find it hard to believe someone could be less competent tactically and from a substitute standpoint than GGG was. Subbing on Moore against Wales was disgraceful. Our record outside of CONCACAF and away from home was awful.
Berhalter was an adequate tactician. Definitely made his fair share of bad decisions (many of which I've highlighted in prior posts) but, for the most part, got the roster right and got the starting XI right for when it mattered the most - the World Cup. He is a middle of the road coach.

You a want a far worse tactician? Look no further than his predecessor.

I've done some pretty in-depth posts on this board about my perceptions of the team's, and Berhalter's performances. You want to disagree with them, fine. But then bring something to the table as a response.

Your statement that "I find it hard to believe someone could be less competent tactically and from a substitute standpoint than GGG was" implies that he is the worst ever. That is a ridiculous statement.

And Moore was on the substitutes bench but didn't play in the Wales game so, again, I have no idea what you are talking about here.

I think GGG usually has a good starting plan but is subpar when he needs to adjust or make changes. To reference the Wales game, they went route one direct and USA got battered the whole second half on a relatively simple tactical switch.

All you said above is that would still be an upgrade over GGG. There is zero substance to that statement.

Berhalter was an adequate tactician. Definitely made his fair share of bad decisions (many of which I've highlighted in prior posts) but, for the most part, got the roster right and got the starting XI right for when it mattered the most - the World Cup. He is a middle of the road coach.

You a want a far worse tactician? Look no further than his predecessor.

I've done some pretty in-depth posts on this board about my perceptions of the team's, and Berhalter's performances. You want to disagree with them, fine. But then bring something to the table as a response.

Your statement that "I find it hard to believe someone could be less competent tactically and from a substitute standpoint than GGG was" implies that he is the worst ever. That is a ridiculous statement.

And Moore was on the substitutes bench but didn't play in the Wales game so, again, I have no idea what you are talking about here.
I wasn’t trying to imply him as the worst ever rather imply there’s no way we could not upgrade over him with our current pool of potential coaches. I think even Jesse Marsch is an upgrade tactically.

Found it hard to not put a decent sized bet on our ML tonight. +125 against a weaker than Mexico side. Although we have the interim to the interim coach in BJ, Mexico is also running with a new coach in Diego Cocca. I’d also say this roster even without Tyler Adams and Tim Ream is stronger than our WC roster.

I’m excited to see Balogun starting for USA tonight. This is a solid lineup for tonight’s match. Let’s get the W!

Who else is stuck watching on Univision because they don't have Paramount+?

Berhalter is returning per Athletic.
Saw that too. Thanks for nothing, USSF. :confused:

We should have some big time candidates knocking on the door for this squad and upcoming World Cup on home turf. It's like the outsiders know better...

Edit: But no matter who the hire is... so much wasted time to make a hire. And didn't we hire an outside firm for this hire... only to rehire the initial guy.

Last edited:
Really strong first half. One major difference is Balogun attracts a lot of attention but also has had some good hold up play and the threat he is with it at his feet to turn quickly is important. Has opened things up for Pulisic on the wing and he has been sharp. Richards a bit iffy at the start but has settled in. Good first half against a Mexico side we should look superior to. Would say that looked the case minus this should be 2-0 at minimum if not 3-0.

Berhalter to return as U.S. Coach.
NOOOOOO!! Man, I hope these rumors aren’t true. A few months ago it didn’t seem feasible based on why he was suspended

Last edited:
Saw that too. Thanks for nothing, USSF. :confused:

We should have some big time candidates knocking on the door for this squad and upcoming World Cup on home turf. It's like the outsiders know better...

Edit: But no matter who the hire is... so much wasted time to make a hire.
I thought the World Cup was okay… I don’t know if there is some magical coaching strategy that is going to turn the USMNT into some top 5 team . They are a very athletic team who have a solid squad from top to bottom but no game changers. Pulisic is the closest they have but he doesn’t make the team better and his accuracy is not consistent enough (see the miss against England). The team lacks that bit of magic they need to create enough chances to beat the good European/south American sides when it matters. To Egg heads credit, he’s made the team very hard to score on and he’s seriously upgraded the talent on the squad. Long gone are the days of Frankie Heydude motoring up and down the sideline… the main issue I have is that he tinkers too much by playing players out of position from their club teams. We have more than enough talent at each position where we don’t need to be playing players out of position. But then came the World Cup and he burned his core guys out. He also held on to players who don’t belong with the team way too long.

For better or for worse we don’t have to qualify for the next World Cup…
I predict round of 16 or if we get a lucky draw, quarter final appearance. The wild card is whether Reyna can resume his track to superstar as a true attacking midfielder. If he can, that give the us the joker they need to become truly elite. But that also means berhalter needs to give up on his MMA midfield which I don’t see happening.

I thought the World Cup was okay… I don’t know if there is some magical coaching strategy that is going to turn the USMNT into some top 5 team . They are a very athletic team who have a solid squad from top to bottom but no game changers. Pulisic is the closest they have but he doesn’t make the team better and his accuracy is not consistent enough (see the miss against England). The team lacks that bit of magic they need to create enough chances to beat the good European/south American sides when it matters. To Egg heads credit, he’s made the team very hard to score on and he’s seriously upgraded the talent on the squad. Long gone are the days of Frankie Heydude motoring up and down the sideline… the main issue I have is that he tinkers too much by playing players out of position from their club teams. We have more than enough talent at each position where we don’t need to be playing players out of position. But then came the World Cup and he burned his core guys out. He also held on to players who don’t belong with the team way too long.

For better or for worse we don’t have to qualify for the next World Cup…
I predict round of 16 or if we get a lucky draw, quarter final appearance. The wild card is whether Reyna can resume his track to superstar as a true attacking midfielder. If he can, that give the us the joker they need to become truly elite. But that also means berhalter needs to give up on his MMA midfield which I don’t see happening.

Quarterfinal or semifinal has to be the benchmark. Round of 16 is a fail playing on home turf.

Greg returning is frustrating. Less because of tactics and more because of in game management and feel with lineups. It seems a lot to do with it is the support from the players. That can go both ways and the drama that came out of the WC to me would have been too much to keep him in place.. but I guess not.