2024 MLB Season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2024 MLB Season

People need to prepare to sit their kids down and have a conversation about the Pirates going on a run in the yoffs. They are that team this season.

People need to prepare to sit their kids down and have a conversation about the Pirates going on a run in the yoffs. They are that team this season.
Yoffs? While they’re seated tell them never to use this ridiculous term or risk being mocked.

Yoffs? While they’re seated tell them never to use this ridiculous term or risk being mocked.
Appreciate the negativity! Love waking up in the morning to some negativity. Better than coffee. Thanks, man!

I don't think they can score enough to sneak in BUT if they do, and Skenes and Keller are in form, they are not someone good teams are going to want to see. Of course we both just jinxed them and now I expect a 10 game skid to start today.

I don't think they can score enough to sneak in BUT if they do, and Skenes and Keller are in form, they are not someone good teams are going to want to see. Of course we both just jinxed them and now I expect a 10 game skid to start today.
Jared Jones is very good and I like Ortiz a lot too. They have 8 starting pitchers. If they could flip one or two to get more offense, watch out.

Jared Jones is very good and I like Ortiz a lot too. They have 8 starting pitchers. If they could flip one or two to get more offense, watch out.

I like the Pirates - as a fan of the Expos a fan of the small mid market team, that has still been screwed by bad ownership. Would love to see them make the playoffs.

That being said I don't really buy what the article is selling -- a bit of a homer job to me -- its not really depth of "8", its a fan writer overvaluing some of his team's players.

The veterans -- Perez, Falter, and Gonzalez really have no trade value (other than fringe prospects in return). Unless the Pirates want to to trade Ortiz and Priester (which doesn't make sense in their current state), they can't flip this pitching "depth" into bats.

They will have to get bats by trading some minor league prospects. I think they could get one bat, like a Jesse Winker, to show that they believe in the team.

Martin Perez, Bailey Falter, Gonzalez are either below, or in the case of the last two, maybe average starters. The vet filled their role as innings eaters this year, which was not supposed to be a competitive season, until others were ready. Its not complicated what to do with Martin Perez and his 5.61 ERA at this point.

The other issue for the Pirates is Jared Jones injury is somewhat dragging and he is on a clear innings limit - they are not rushing him back. perhaps with the hope that he can then go full out after that. Will they watch Skenes innings? Not sure. So it might be worth keeping guys like Falter and Gonzales as swing men.

Last edited:
I like the Pirates - as a fan of the Expos a fan of the small mid market team, that has still been screwed by bad ownership. Would love to see them make the playoffs.

That being said I don't really buy what the article is selling -- a bit of a homer job to me -- its not really depth of "8", its a fan writer overvaluing some of his team's players.

The veterans -- Perez, Falter, and Gonzalez really have no trade value (other than fringe prospects in return). Unless the Pirates want to to trade Ortiz and Priester (which doesn't make sense in their current state), they can't flip this pitching "depth" into bats.

They will have to get bats by trading some minor league prospects. I think they could get one bat, like a Jesse Winker, to show that they believe in the team.

Martin Perez, Bailey Falter, Gonzalez are either below, or in the case of the last two, maybe average starters. The vet filled their role as innings eaters this year, which was not supposed to be a competitive season, until others were ready. Its not complicated what to do with Martin Perez and his 5.61 ERA at this point.

The other issue for the Pirates is Jared Jones injury is somewhat dragging and he is on a clear innings limit - they are not rushing him back. perhaps with the hope that he can then go full out after that. Will they watch Skenes innings? Not sure. So it might be worth keeping guys like Falter and Gonzales as swing men.
Agree the writer is biased but I do like their young core of pitchers.

They are going to be a problem for a few years if they can keep them healthy.

They are just a super fun team to watch. Very happy that I financially hitched my wagon to them while I am boycotting my Red Sox.

I also have similar opinions on the Royals but that's less of a hot take than it was in March.

Agree the writer is biased but I do like their young core of pitchers.

They are going to be a problem for a few years if they can keep them healthy.

They do have a very good young core.
You hit the point with any young staff - health or decline for whatever odd reason.

Anybody that enjoys following the Pirates, and has never been to the Bucs stadium, should take a trip down this summer if they have a chance. Great park.

I went back in 2011 and 2013. 2011 was fun because there was some energy there as they were having their first good season in a while (sort of like this season). They beat the Cardinals, who played the worst fundamental game of baseball I had ever seen in my life. I left the game thinking this Cards team is awful -- they ended up winning the World Series.

For the first time ever, the best offensive position in baseball this year (based on OPS) -- Shortstop! Its amazing now the amount of great hitters now, who have the athleticism to handle the position.

Comparison of SS to 1B over the past 50 years - you could see the gap closing. In prior years the difference was massive in favour of the 1B (as expected at the time)
2024 - .727 (SS), .715 (1B)
2019 - .766 vs .794
2014 - .672 vs .753
2004 - .723 vs .828
1994 - .706 vs .840
1984 - .629 vs .758
1974 - .622 vs .746

They do have a very good young core.
You hit the point with any young staff - health or decline for whatever odd reason.

Anybody that enjoys following the Pirates, and has never been to the Bucs stadium, should take a trip down this summer if they have a chance. Great park.

I went back in 2011 and 2013. 2011 was fun because there was some energy there as they were having their first good season in a while (sort of like this season). They beat the Cardinals, who played the worst fundamental game of baseball I had ever seen in my life. I left the game thinking this Cards team is awful -- they ended up winning the World Series.
I’m going in a few weeks and can’t wait to check it out. I’ve heard nothing but great things about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom