2024 New York Mets Thread

i

PiratesBottom 6th

C. SCOTT PITCHING FOR NYM

Triolo grounded out to third.

McCutchen flies out to left.

E. ORZE PITCHING FOR NYM

Reynolds walked.

Cruz singled to left, Reynolds to third.

Tellez reached on infield single to third, Reynolds scored, Cruz to second.

A. HOUSER PITCHING FOR NYM

N. Gonzales doubled to right, Tellez scored on fielding error by right fielder McNeil and Cruz scored, N. Gonzales to third.

N. Gonzales scored on Houser wild pitch.

Palacios homered to right (374 feet).

Suwinski flied out to right.
Scott had pitched 5 2/3 innings and allowed 1 hit. Believe he was at 77 pitches. Mendoza usually level his starters in too long but this time, Scott was dominating and had plenty left in the tank. Not sure he is capable of making rational decisions.

Orze has good stuff but is wild and gives up homers. Has struggled at AAA. It is no surprise if he struggles at the MLB level. He has survived cancer twice and is a tough kid. Hope he get thing together.

Houser was awful as a starter. Started out okay as a reliever but has blown some games and been awful as a reliever recently.

Same old story. No depth with relievers. Making Butto a reliever has been successful. Make another starter a reliever, release Houser, send the clowns back to Syracuse and get serious about making the playoffs. Or trade a starter for a reliever or two. Ugh.

Having little optimism about what's going on in the nation and the world, I feel the need to search for it in the world of sports, (and hope that the first doesn't prevent the second).

I root for SU sports and the Mets- the Syracuse Mets and the New York Mets.

I feel SU is on a push to get selected for the super-conferences that seen to b the future of college sports. I have mixed feelings about that. I think we are unlikely to selected for those conferences and if we are, I think we will have a hard time competing in them. But the immediate impact is that SU is on overdrive to to achieve, or at least approach excellence in athletics, which has been characterized by mediocrity in recent years. The result has been new coaches for the football and both basketball and lacrosse teams and an uptick in recruiting for each. And if we don't make the new level of competition they are creating, we might find out it's more fun to stay on the level we are at and compete only against schools that truly are on our level.

As the Mets, I think Steve Cohen knows what he's doing and has the means to do what he wants. He tried to load up to win a championship quickly and that didn't happen. But he's building up the farm system and we are starting to get awash in young talent. There are three sources of talent: the farm system, trades and free agents. Only the farm system can supply talent at ever position on a consistent basis and that's how you become a consistent winner. Trades are a bet that the guys you get have a bigger future than the guys you give up. Free agents are expensive, as is preventing your player from becoming them. With a productive farms system, you may not have to trade starters and may be able to say 'no' to free agents because you've already got the guy you need.

I've always said the Mets can't have the Yankees' past but there's no reason they can't have the Yankee's present and future: winning seasons every year, usually in the playoffs, getting to the series a couple times a decade and maybe winning one. At least they shouldn't have to wait 38 years between titles.

at least if they win one soon I can stop watching in my lifetim

69/86 2024 at that rate it will be 50+ more years to the next one.. That will be like the Red sox/cubs fans.

I think the all star break comes at a good time. The bullpen is tired and needs rest. For the effective pitchers anyway.

Nunez has been great. Butto is finally up and is pitching well, as expected. Let’s hope Garrett is going to be okay. Pretty sure he was overused and that drove his arm problem.

Gotta find more arms the team can rely on. Diaz should be one. Maton might be one. Can Ottavino find himself? Can Diekman get better?

I think Danny Young can help. Would like to see what Megill can do as a reliever.

Hope if we get a reliable relief pitcher in a trade we do not have to give up a valuable piece, that would be nice. Best bet is a high paid vet being given away in a salary dump.

Good to be in the hunt. All I wanted this year was a chance for a meaningful September. Maybe we are going to get that wish to come true…..

Last edited:

The New York Mets Start a Very Winnable Series Tonight​

Every game that starts out 0-0 is winnable.

Tonight's game may have bene the most important game of the season so far. It's easy to lose momentum during the All-Star break and the Mets couldn't afford to lost the series to the Marlins coming out of it, especially with some more difficult opponents coming up. They've been kind of feasting on the Nationals, Rockies and Marlins but here come the Yankees, Braves, Twins, Dodgers and, (for one game?) the Cardinals.

They built up a 5-1 lead, gave up a couple of homers, got one back with a Lindor homer and then had Diaz strike out a guy, then give up a single, a walk and an infield single to load the bases, then a ground out McNeil almost bobbled to give up a run, then a pop-out to end it. It looked like they were going to blow it, but they didn't.

Tonight's game may have bene the most important game of the season so far. It's easy to lose momentum during the All-Star break and the Mets couldn't afford to lost the series to the Marlins coming out of it, especially with some more difficult opponents coming up. They've been kind of feasting on the Nationals, Rockies and Marlins but here come the Yankees, Braves, Twins, Dodgers and, (for one game?) the Cardinals.

They built up a 5-1 lead, gave up a couple of homers, got one back with a Lindor homer and then had Diaz strike out a guy, then give up a single, a walk and an infield single to load the bases, then a ground out McNeil almost bobbled to give up a run, then a pop-out to end it. It looked like they were going to blow it, but they didn't.

Agree, this was an important game. Not much of a bullpen left for today. Hope Quintana has a lot in the tank.

Pete continues to hurt the team failing to drive in runners. Bat him leadoff or ninth. It looks like he can’t handle the pressure. If/when he gets it together there, maybe move him back. Lindor again with heroics. Another guy who hits better when not hitting third or fourth in the lineup.

Saw Senga in person Saturday. He did not throw a fastball more than 92 mph. Appeared to be working on his arm between pitches. Am not optimistic he is going to pitch well for the Mets. Appears to be IL bound again in the near future.

Agree, this was an important game. Not much of a bullpen left for today. Hope Quintana has a lot in the tank.

Pete continues to hurt the team failing to drive in runners. Bat him leadoff or ninth. It looks like he can’t handle the pressure. If/when he gets it together there, maybe move him back. Lindor again with heroics. Another guy who hits better when not hitting third or fourth in the lineup.

Saw Senga in person Saturday. He did not throw a fastball more than 92 mph. Appeared to be working on his arm between pitches. Am not optimistic he is going to pitch well for the Mets. Appears to be IL bound again in the near future.
Ugh on Senga,

They should trade Pete now... the worse move will be to sign him for some insane contract this off season. He's not worth it and probably never has been. I'm hopeful that Stearns sees that.

Pete got two singles and walk. That keeps innings going but it doesn't produce runs. He's a home run hitter who has hit two of them this month. He's played all 99 games and is on a pace for 31HR and 83RBI. His career per 162 is 44/114. Hardly an ideal "walk year".

I like the guy and remember that before he came we had 9 guys play first base and they hit 16 home runs. I still want his desire to become a career Met come true. But Vientos at 1st and Baty or maybe Mauricio at 3rd could work, too. Pete needs to get hot. 6 homers in a week would be nice.

"Given how tight the wild-card standings are, such maneuvering could be too cute by half, especially if the return isn’t that substantial."

"People within the club prefer to continue to add, which is logical because the Mets remain firmly in the wild-card picture in a tightly packed National League. But that stance must continue to make sense from a competitive standpoint."

???

An emergency Mets trade to upgrade the questionable starting rotation

The Mets starting pitchers proved they need some help and Erick Fedde makes too much sense for them

Ugh!

"Promising Mets starting pitcher Christian Scott was placed on the 15-day injured list, the team announced Wednesday. The move is retroactive to Monday and lefty Alex Young was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse as a corresponding move."

Pete got two singles and walk. That keeps innings going but it doesn't produce runs. He's a home run hitter who has hit two of them this month. He's played all 99 games and is on a pace for 31HR and 83RBI. His career per 162 is 44/114. Hardly an ideal "walk year".

I like the guy and remember that before he came we had 9 guys play first base and they hit 16 home runs. I still want his desire to become a career Met come true. But Vientos at 1st and Baty or maybe Mauricio at 3rd could work, too. Pete needs to get hot. 6 homers in a week would be nice.

They just showed side-by-side images of Pete hitting a double in this game and a homer in 2022. The big issue is that Pete is letting his front foot slide and dropping his head. That makes it hard to have a good base for your power.

So, impressive performances against the Yankees both nights. They are reeling but you have to win games against struggling teams and the Mets did.

Scott is out for a couple of weeks minimum. Megill rejoins the rotation to replace him. He did well in Syracuse and just might have figured some things out. Believe he starts against the Braves in this series, so we will know that soon enough.

The Braves are also struggling.

Strider and Acuna have been hurt a while and are out all year. Albies just got hurt. Fried is out (not good to be hurt in your walk year). Olson and Arcia are a mess. Austin Riley was out on paternity leave but returns in record time for the game tonight. He is not the same as in recent years though. Kelenic is hitting about .250 with 11 HRs and is now one of their top players.

The Mets are just 1.5 games back. This is a big series and a great chance to continue to build momentum. As always with the Mets, there will be interesting and unexpected results. ;)

So, impressive performances against the Yankees both nights. They are reeling but you have to win games against struggling teams and the Mets did.

Scott is out for a couple of weeks minimum. Megill rejoins the rotation to replace him. He did well in Syracuse and just might have figured some things out. Believe he starts against the Braves in this series, so we will know that soon enough.

Strider and Acuna have been hurt a while and are out all year. Albies just got hurt. Fried is out (not good to be hurt in your walk year). Olson and Arcia are a mess. Austin Riley was out on paternity leave but returns in record time for the game tonight. He is not the same as in recent years though. Kelenic is hitting about .250 with 11 HRs and is now one of their top players.

The Mets are just 1.5 games back. This is a big series and a great chance to continue to build momentum. As always with the Mets, there will be interesting and unexpected results. ;)
Sadly that's a very good assessment of my Braves this year. It's just not our year. Don't expect anyone to feel sorry though.

We're facing their stopper but have it tied in extra innings. This would a big 'get'.

We get a somewhat dubious "can't overturn" call at third. Kelenic has a brain freeze on a squeeze play and Laureano overruns, (how often do you see that?) McNeil's tall can of corn to right and we win, despite Sale. Life is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom