2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

"“We are paying attention, especially after an outing like last night,” manager Carlos Mendoza said on Saturday.“It’s good to see our guys develop and continue to make progress and we are definitely going to need a lot of them and are continuing to pay close attention.” “We just want him to continue to develop,” Mendoza said. “Hopefully he continues to put himself where he’s in the conversation.”

Pete Alonso was finally moved out of the cleanup slot in the lineup.

Batting him third and fourth in the lineup has been really impactful to the Met offense, and not in a good way.

This was a necessary move. He clearly has been a different hitter batting in situations that are not important.

Hopefully this helps him. Honestly, he is lucky he has not been benched yet and I wish he was put further down in the lineup, which would help mitigate what he has done to the offense this year.

Pete Alonso was finally moved out of the cleanup slot in the lineup.

Batting him third and fourth in the lineup has been really impactful to the Met offense, and not in a good way.

This was a necessary move. He clearly has been a different hitter batting in situations that are not important.

Hopefully this helps him. Honestly, he is lucky he has not been benched yet and I wish he was put further down in the lineup, which would help mitigate what he has done to the offense this year.

An all time bad contract year. Which is funny to say about someone who will likely hit 35+ homers lol

Nice win, coming after losing a series to a bad team. We swept the yards this year and if we wind up battling them for the last WC spot, that will be key.

"Sproat dominated in Double A and capped off his time there with 13 strikeouts in five scoreless innings (two hits, no walks). He was promptly promoted a few days ago to Triple-A Syracuse. Clearly, if he continues to show that the minor leagues are no place for him, then it would make sense to give him a look in the majors, even if it’s in a short-inning role. But, speculatively speaking, Sproat is already up to 87 2/3 innings this year, his first in pro ball, without throwing a single pitch in Triple A. Like many teams these days, the Mets have been reluctant to place innings caps on pitchers, but they’re still mindful about workload. Let’s see how Sproat does in Triple A. I’ll revisit the topic after his first turn or two in Syracuse."

"Sproat dominated in Double A and capped off his time there with 13 strikeouts in five scoreless innings (two hits, no walks). He was promptly promoted a few days ago to Triple-A Syracuse. Clearly, if he continues to show that the minor leagues are no place for him, then it would make sense to give him a look in the majors, even if it’s in a short-inning role. But, speculatively speaking, Sproat is already up to 87 2/3 innings this year, his first in pro ball, without throwing a single pitch in Triple A. Like many teams these days, the Mets have been reluctant to place innings caps on pitchers, but they’re still mindful about workload. Let’s see how Sproat does in Triple A. I’ll revisit the topic after his first turn or two in Syracuse."
It will be interesting to see how Sproat does with Syracuse.

The International League has suddenly become very high scoring and most pitchers who pitch there after getting promoted from AA get off to very rocky starts. If he can be successful with Syracuse, it is a really good sign he can be successful in MLB.

Sean Reid-Foley and Reed Garrett has been getting bombed in rehab appearances in Binghamton. They might not be ready as quickly as the Mets first envisioned.

Hopefully Nunez will have a smoother return from the IL very soon.

Nice game by Pete today. Would love to see him catch fire and go on one of his hot streaks.

“I couldn’t wait to get to the stadium to see what uniform number I was going to be,” Wright said of that July 21 day at Shea Stadium when he went 0-for-4 against the Montreal Expos. “In spring training, I was 72. As soon as I saw No. 5, I put the jersey on. I was one of the first ones there and I remember standing in front of the mirror and just staring at this jersey in almost a pinch-me moment.”

"The Mets believe they leaned too hard on Garrett in May, when almost nobody in the bullpen was consistently recording outs. They’re optimistic they’re welcoming back more of the April version of the right-hander than the midsummer one."

"Though Dedniel Núñez is behind Sean Reid-Foley, don’t be surprised if Núñez makes it back to the majors sooner. The righty is slated to throw his first bullpen session Sunday and could be in rehab games by the end of next week."

"Sarbaugh cited a Vince Lombardi line about chasing perfection; you know you won’t get all the way there, but you can find excellence en route."

It beats chasing mediocrity.

"On Tuesday night, when Paul Blackburn takes the hill against an Athletics organization that employed him for eight seasons, he won’t quite be the Paul Blackburn Oakland knew."

"Sarbaugh cited a Vince Lombardi line about chasing perfection; you know you won’t get all the way there, but you can find excellence en route."

It beats chasing mediocrity.

"On Tuesday night, when Paul Blackburn takes the hill against an Athletics organization that employed him for eight seasons, he won’t quite be the Paul Blackburn Oakland knew."

Yeah, Blackburn is worse!

Suddenly, we're getting clobbered by bad teams! OMG, indeed!

Two pitchers:

"Afterward, Adams was so satisfied with his performance that he mimicked how the Mets celebrate their home runs (inspired by Iglesias’ song, “OMG”) by throwing his arms in the air three times. As he walked off the mound, Adams muttered profanities."

He's a Mets atheist.

"Below, the Mets’ pitching coaches from all three levels — Dan McKinney with High-A Brooklyn, A.J. Sager with Double-A Binghamton and Grayson Crawford with Triple-A Syracuse — weighed in on how Sproat was able to rise through the system so quickly, and what comes next."

OMG!

Two pitchers:

"Afterward, Adams was so satisfied with his performance that he mimicked how the Mets celebrate their home runs (inspired by Iglesias’ song, “OMG”) by throwing his arms in the air three times. As he walked off the mound, Adams muttered profanities."

He's a Mets atheist.

"Below, the Mets’ pitching coaches from all three levels — Dan McKinney with High-A Brooklyn, A.J. Sager with Double-A Binghamton and Grayson Crawford with Triple-A Syracuse — weighed in on how Sproat was able to rise through the system so quickly, and what comes next."

OMG!
This Mets team is, if nothing else, an interesting one to follow.

It seems like every time they get their act together and start looking really good, they go into a tailspin and it looks like the season is surely lost.

And then they get hot again, raise hopes, get just to the point where they show they are absolutely for real, and then collapse again.

Hopefully a new hot streak is about to start that will rise our hopes again (only to crush them once more in a few weeks).

This Mets team is, if nothing else, an interesting one to follow.

It seems like every time they get their act together and start looking really good, they go into a tailspin and it looks like the season is surely lost.

And then they get hot again, raise hopes, get just to the point where they show they are absolutely for real, and then collapse again.

Hopefully a new hot streak is about to start that will rise our hopes again (only to crush them once more in a few weeks).

"they keep pulling us back in..."

"A day after they were embarrassed, even ridiculed, by the Athletics in a fourth straight loss, New York rebounded with a much-needed 9-1 trouncing of Oakland. Pete Alonso, his nose scabbed over from a faceplanting on the infield dirt a night earlier, delivered his first four-hit night of the year, including a home run. “This was an unbelievable bounce-back game for us,” Alonso said. “We just needed to respond. This was a really important game, big-picture.”

I hope he's right.

"A day after they were embarrassed, even ridiculed, by the Athletics in a fourth straight loss, New York rebounded with a much-needed 9-1 trouncing of Oakland. Pete Alonso, his nose scabbed over from a faceplanting on the infield dirt a night earlier, delivered his first four-hit night of the year, including a home run. “This was an unbelievable bounce-back game for us,” Alonso said. “We just needed to respond. This was a really important game, big-picture.”

I hope he's right.
Saw a stat on the broadcast last night. Pete is hitting .209 with runners on base this season. That is the second lowest batting average in MLB for players with at least 200 plate appearances. Might be with runners in scoring position. Either way, you can’t have someone who hits like that in the middle of the lineup. I knew he was struggling horribly now wow, that was shocking.

Great to see him have a big night. Hopefully he can continue this for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

"It started on Opening Day with the club’s veteran of the game, a World War II veteran memorably named Seymour Weiner. The Mets’ early summer turnaround coincided — or was catalyzed by — a first pitch thrown out by the McDonald’s character Grimace. As the Mets hit their offensive stride, they found their song of the summer: “OMG” by the veteran infielder José Iglesias. (The song is popular enough with New York to earn ridicule from the other dugout earlier this week.)"

Constantly searching for something to rally around does seem kind of desperate. Do teams that expect to win because they just better than the other team do this sort of thing?

"Nimmo had made a diving catch to keep the game tied in the top of the seventh inning. Nimmo will get an MRI on that shoulder on Monday, manager Carlos Mendoza told reporters after the game. The outfielder described the pain as a “general achiness” during that at-bat."

That gives me a “general achiness”. :(

"Who needs to step up to carry the Mets to the playoffs?"

Everybody.

The Mets started a hard part of their schedule last night with the first game of a 3 game series against the Orioles, who were tied with the Yankees for the best record in the AL.

The Mets got off to a good start with a 2 run HR from JD Martinez (who has not been hitting as many as I was hoping for). Taylor drove in another and the Mets went up 3-0.

Peterson was solid until the 5th, when he made a bad pickoff throw to allow a runner to go from 2nd to 3rd. That gave the Orioles an unearned run.

He got in trouble again in the 7th (and Mendoza again let David try and pitch out of it). David almost got out of it. Struck out a batter with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. But then he had a mini melt down, balked the runner home to make it 3-2 and on the next pitch gave up a home run to tie the game up. At that point, he finally got out of the inning but the lead was gone.

Butto replaced Peterson and was solid in the 8th. I expected him to also pitch the 9th but Mendoza put Diaz in. Diaz was good too and held the Orioles scoreless but I was unhappy. Really wanted to save Diaz for the 10th, when you need a solid reliever to hold the other team scoreless.

It looked inevitable the game would go to extra innings when the Mets made 2 outs to start the bottom of the ninth but Alvarez, who had been slumping (and also not hitting home runs like I was expecting he would), got ahead in the count 3-0. And then this happened:

The Orioles probably didn't like the reaction from Francisco after he hit the homer. I had to work the next day, it was close to 10 PM and I was going to sleep after the Alvarez at bat, so it was a very happy development from my perspective.

The Mets also got good news on the injury front, as the Braves and Diamondbacks both lost key players to the IL. Austin Riley is out for the regular season (broken hand). Ketel Marte, an MVP candidate, has a badly sprained ankle that will keep him out for at least 10 days. This is important for the Mets as they play Arizona next after the Orioles and the Padres as mentioned, this is a tough stretch in the schedule coming up) .

The Braves and Diamondbacks are two of the teams the Mets are battling with for playoff spots. Sorry those guys got hurt. Sometimes you need a few breaks to get where you need to go in baseball.

Also a welcome back to Dedniel Nunez, who is returning to Syracuse today for a hopefully short rehab assignment before returning to New York to help the Mets to make the playoffs. He is pencilled in to pitch an inning today for the Syracuse Mets. They have been slumping badly and could use any help they can get.

If you go tonight, also keep an eye out for Drew Gilbert. He is a really talented outfielder who has been out almost all season but is finally playing again. He is a top 100 level prospect, has been compared to Lenny Dykstra, and should be fun to watch play while he is here.

I suspect he will be starting for the NY Mets on opening day next season. Enjoy him while you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom