2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

It’s wild the talent the Braves still have despite being down so many big names this year due to injury. Not sure we can leapfrog them

It’s wild the talent the Braves still have despite being down so many big names this year due to injury. Not sure we can leapfrog them

They developed or acquired a lot of young talent and, once they had proven themselves, signed them to long-term contracts so we'll be dealing with them for the foreseeable future. I think Steve Cohen wants to do the same thing with the Mets young talent to compete with them.

"It was two decades ago, in a fallow period for the franchise between the end of one core and the establishment of the next young one, that Fred Wilpon summarized the Mets’ relative lack of ambition. Their goal, Wilpon said in the spring of 2004, was to play meaningful games in September.
Those ’04 Mets didn’t get there, hampered as they were by that pesky 1-16 stretch around the end of August."

They have an easier schedule than the Mets do. They have 7 more home games coming up than road games for one.

Would not be surprised if the final wildcard spot comes down to the Diamondbacks and the Mets. They have a tougher schedule and 3 of their key player hurt for the crucial stretch run.

The Mets are now 76-64, 12 games over .500. That is the best they have been all year.

22 games left to play.

3 at home against the Reds.

3 in Toronto.

3 in Philadelphia.

3 at home against the Nationals, then 4 more at home against the Phillies. That is it for home games for the Mets.

And then they end the season with 2 3 game series against the Braves and Brewers, respectively.

I am thinking they need to win 12 of the remaining 22 to have a decent chance at making the playoffs. That would get them to 88-74.

The Braves are 76-53, so they have 23 left. To match the Mets, they would only need to go 12-11.

The Diamondbacks are 79-51 so they have 22 games left. If they just split them, they end up with 90 wins.

Either the Mets have to continue to play great ball or someone has to play really poorly down the stretch.

Grateful to have a chance this late in the season.

That was a great game last night. The Mets got out hit again but they are getting timely hits and that makes all the difference.

Pete Alonso had another bad night, striking out with the bases loaded and no outs twice. The best he could do is foul off a couple of pitches.

He continues to have a remarkable season.

With runners in scoring position, he has been horrific this season. You can almost bank on him driving out, hitting into a double play or popping out in foul territory to the firstbaseman.

But if he comes to bat with no one on base, he is a solid power hitter. I bet he is hitting around .270. He looks like a completely different person. I can only assume the pressure of playing for a new contract has totally gotten into his head. Thanks Boras. To his credit, he has started to sometimes draw walks in key situations.

I would move him lower in the lineup to reduce the impact of his issues dealing with pressure right now. But I guess Mendoza is worried it would crush him and perhaps it would.

Maybe he can explore hypnosis or start doing mushrooms?

They have an easier schedule than the Mets do. They have 7 more home games coming up than road games for one.

Would not be surprised if the final wildcard spot comes down to the Diamondbacks and the Mets. They have a tougher schedule and 3 of their key player hurt for the crucial stretch run.

The Mets are now 76-64, 12 games over .500. That is the best they have been all year.

22 games left to play.

3 at home against the Reds.

3 in Toronto.

3 in Philadelphia.

3 at home against the Nationals, then 4 more at home against the Phillies. That is it for home games for the Mets.

And then they end the season with 2 3 game series against the Braves and Brewers, respectively.

I am thinking they need to win 12 of the remaining 22 to have a decent chance at making the playoffs. That would get them to 88-74.

The Braves are 76-53, so they have 23 left. To match the Mets, they would only need to go 12-11.

The Diamondbacks are 79-51 so they have 22 games left. If they just split them, they end up with 90 wins.

Either the Mets have to continue to play great ball or someone has to play really poorly down the stretch.

Grateful to have a chance this late in the season.

That was a great game last night. The Mets got out hit again but they are getting timely hits and that makes all the difference.

Pete Alonso had another bad night, striking out with the bases loaded and no outs twice. The best he could do is foul off a couple of pitches.

He continues to have a remarkable season.

With runners in scoring position, he has been horrific this season. You can almost bank on him driving out, hitting into a double play or popping out in foul territory to the firstbaseman.

But if he comes to bat with no one on base, he is a solid power hitter. I bet he is hitting around .270. He looks like a completely different person. I can only assume the pressure of playing for a new contract has totally gotten into his head. Thanks Boras. To his credit, he has started to sometimes draw walks in key situations.

I would move him lower in the lineup to reduce the impact of his issues dealing with pressure right now. But I guess Mendoza is worried it would crush him and perhaps it would.

Maybe he can explore hypnosis or start doing mushrooms?

lol on Pete… that said his price tag will be something interesting to watch..

With the upcoming games, the Reds are always a PITA when they can play spoiler so this next series worries me a bit no matter who they put on the mound.

Hoping that the Brewers have nothing to play for that last series as they rest guys heading into the post season.

lol on Pete… that said his price tag will be something interesting to watch..

With the upcoming games, the Reds are always a PITA when they can play spoiler so this next series worries me a bit no matter who they put on the mound.

Hoping that the Brewers have nothing to play for that last series as they rest guys heading into the post season.
That would be cool and right now, they are up by close to 10 games on the Cubbies, so it is very possible this could happen.

It looks to me as though division winners get seeded above wild card teams no matter what their records are, so as long as they have the division well in hand, maybe they will ease off a bit down the stretch.

Sounds too good to be true for this long time Met fan though.

One other thing I wanted to note:

35K, 29K and 27K. Those are the sizes of the crowds at CitiField for the Red Sox series. The fans are buying in and supporting the team big time right now. I am guessing there will be 30K plus for all three games against the Reds this weekend, even if the Reds are not a big name team right now.

Last edited:
As a Braves fan, it's been a disappointing season compared to expectations. But considering the injury situation, it's really hard to be too upset. Kind of amazing they've hung in with basically no Strider all season, Acuna gone after 2 months and Riley, Albies, Murphy and Harris (among others I'm sure I have forgotten) missing big chunks of time.

As a Braves fan, it's been a disappointing season compared to expectations. But considering the injury situation, it's really hard to be too upset. Kind of amazing they've hung in with basically no Strider all season, Acuna gone after 2 months and Riley, Albies, Murphy and Harris (among others I'm sure I have forgotten) missing big chunks of time.

Yes, you have had some misfortune there. I'll trade you a healthy Strider for the Braves for a healthy Senga for the Mets.

The Braves are a great organization. I think it is great that they are in the same division as the Mets.

It gives the Mets no choice. Be great or never finish in first.

34K for the game yesterday, which the Mets scheduled to start at 4 pm. Perhaps they have heard about all the people who are Syracuse and Mets fans? ;)

Better yet, San Diego, Arizona and Atlanta all lost yesterday. The Mets are now a full game ahead of the Braves, a half game behind Arizona and only 2 games behind the Padres.

But as @SWC points out, we lost Squirrel. He is a valuable player in that he can play 2B and is probably our 2nd best defensive outfielder. Gives the team a lot of flexibility. On the positive side, Iglesias has been playing 2B a lot and playing well. And with Winker and Marte now available to play OF, we have a lot better OF depth than we had a month or two ago.

It will be interesting to see who gets called up. Ramos I think. He can play 2B and 3B. They need someone good defensively to play 3B to sub in for Vientos late in games. He cal also run and be an excellent pinch runner.

The Syracuse Mets lost 19-0 yesterday. Ouch.

I did not expect I’d be this interested in baseball by the time the college football season was well underway.

Trading Verlander and Max when it was obvious the team wasn’t going anywhere last year is looking like a brilliant decision.

“Just trusting their stuff, pitching to their strength, staying on the attack and not panicking,” Mendoza said. “They know their roles. And they know the mindset is we’re going to put you in situations where we feel you have a really good chance to have success — just trust it."

"According to FanGraphs’ all-encompassing defensive metric, the Mets are no longer a negative fielding team. That’s a vast improvement from spending most of the first half ranked at the bottom of the National League. The winning streak — and even Sunday’s loss, for that matter — showcased the Mets’ flash, dependability and competence."

"For a long time now, New York has been unable to shake a criticism that, while perhaps malleable to a fault, has resonated with the fan base: These Mets have never been at their best in the biggest moments of the season."

I did not expect I’d be this interested in baseball by the time the college football season was well underway.

Trading Verlander and Max when it was obvious the team wasn’t going anywhere last year is looking like a brilliant decision.
As was the decision to hire David Stearns...

I'm quite fond of 6 run 9th innings, at least when the Mets have one, especially when Francisco Lindor opens it with a solo home run to end a not-hitter and tie the game and then the underperforming Francisco Alvarez hits a 439 foot three run homer to blow it open.

"Alvarez’s home runs will come. He just has to get back to being a good hitter first, the kind of hitter he was when he returned from the injured list. I’ve asked everyone I can on the Mets, and I get the same answer: Physically, he’s fine (yes, there’s a caveat of no catcher being totally “fine,” but they insist it’s not a physical issue). Alvarez’s at-bats have improved over the past two weeks or so. He’s still chasing sliders away, but not as frequently. Also important, he’s hitting balls harder. I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished strong over the last two weeks."

“I don’t quantify how big hits are, but it felt really good,” said Lindor. “I could tell the vibes in the dugout shifted.”

"The New York Mets plan to shuffle their rotation this weekend in Philadelphia to better align their best starters for the biggest games of the season down the stretch. If all goes according to plan, the Mets will have Luis Severino, David Peterson and Sean Manaea in line to pitch the penultimate series of the season in Atlanta — with Severino then lined up for the final game of the regular season if needed."

I'm quite fond of 6 run 9th innings, at least when the Mets have one, especially when Francisco Lindor opens it with a solo home run to end a not-hitter and tie the game and then the underperforming Francisco Alvarez hits a 439 foot three run homer to blow it open.

6 run 5th innings can be nice, too, even if I didn't get to see it.

Encouraging to see signs that Alarez, Nimmo and Alonso are coming out of slumps.

Quintina had another great game. 7 innings, 3 hits and 0 runs. He has been erratic this season but is pitching really well right now, as all the Met starters are.

Lindor hit a double late in the game and jammed his back. Had to leave the game. He had to leave the game. Hopefully this is not a big deal and he will be able to play today. He and Alonso have played every game this season.

The Padres lost but the Diamondbacks and Braves won. Mets now 1.5 games behind the Padres and 1 game behind Arizona. The Braves remain 1 game behind the Mets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom