2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Have Met fans warmed to Francisco Lindor yet?

I did immediately. Not only talented but he seems a natural leader. In a tight spot I'm always saying "hit it to Lindor". That plus a 30-30 man makes him quite a player.

It’s important that Christian Scott makes it all the way back this season.
Don’t rule out a return for Kodai Senga in the final week.

“Huge. You could see it in the way guys celebrated,” manager Carlos Mendoza said. “Huge for us, especially winning two games the way we did against a really good team. We were able to find a way.”

"Such under-the-radar players have helped the Mets get this far. The Mets’ roster has its concerns. But from Mendoza’s view, they are capable of carrying 26 players who can impact the game. Mendoza has said it plenty of times over the last few weeks: With bullpen usage or an outfield rotation, he plans to keep using all of them. As games continue to matter late for the Mets, situations will test the readiness of everyone involved."

The Mets and Padres have taken turns clobbering each other. Tonight the Mets won 7-1, with David Paterson pitching into the 8th inning, (his ERA is now 2.85). But the big hero was Lindor who it two more homers, one a grand slam. He's now got 27HR and 78rbi.

Steve Gelbs asked him afterwards "What was your approach when the bases were loaded and you had a 2-0 count? Most hitters would expect a fastball there but you got a 'sweeper' ".

Lindor replied that he wasn't going to tell Gelbs his approach. "I just look for the white thing."

Last edited:
Mets announced Baty has a broken finger and is likely to miss the rest of the season. His poor start this year along with Mark Vientos playing well at third may have answered what Baty’s future on the team is. I think it’s that he has no future.

They likely need to trade him in the offseason for whatever they can get in return (which sadly isn’t much) - he’ll probably get added to my list of prospect I thought would be good that never panned out. I remember watching him in Binghamton thinking he was going to be a solid starter with potential in really a good season to make an All-Star team - pretty discouraging to see how the last few years have played out.

Mets announced Baty has a broken finger and is likely to miss the rest of the season. His poor start this year along with Mark Vientos playing well at third may have answered what Baty’s future on the team is. I think it’s that he has no future.

They likely need to trade him in the offseason for whatever they can get in return (which sadly isn’t much) - he’ll probably get added to my list of prospect I thought would be good that never panned out. I remember watching him in Binghamton thinking he was going to be a solid starter with potential in really a good season to make an All-Star team - pretty discouraging to see how the last few years have played out.
Baty was a disappointment this season for sure. But when he was sent down, he hit 16 HRs and had 43 RBIs in 58 games. His batting average was only .262 but that was his first extended time in AAA and I think he did quite well here.

I hope they keep Brett around and see what he can do next year. He is only 24 and I really like his potential. Could see him taking over 3B and Vientos going to 1B if the Mets do not sign Alonso.

Baty was a disappointment this season for sure. But when he was sent down, he hit 16 HRs and had 43 RBIs in 58 games. His batting average was only .262 but that was his first extended time in AAA and I think he did quite well here.

I hope they keep Brett around and see what he can do next year. He is only 24 and I really like his potential. Could see him taking over 3B and Vientos going to 1B if the Mets do not sign Alonso.

And then there's Mauricio

Baty seems like a classic AAAA player

Today was the most obvious Mets loss ever. Up 2-0 in the 8th with a chance to gain ground on the Braves. Not this organization.

"It’s moments like the ones Lindor delivered within an all-around terrific performance during the Mets’ 7-1 win over the San Diego Padres on Saturday night that at least spark some consideration."

"The chief competition here, in my view, are David Wright in 2007, Carlos Beltrán in 2006, John Olerud in 1998 and Darryl Strawberry in 1988."

No Pete? No Mike?

"What I said about Soto is that I would love for him to break every (financial) record out there. I would love him to go out there and get what he deserves. If he’s with us, amazing. If he’s with somebody else, amazing, too, as long as he gets what he deserves."

"Edwin Díaz addressed a mechanical flaw and turned things around by getting the save. “This team needs me,” he said."

Those 2 blown saves might just haunt the season.

we would be 2 back of both SD and Ariz who know one but us seem to be able to beat.

The Mets did what they had to do: sweep the lowly Chicago White Sox.

The Mets are now a season high 9 games over .500.

The Braves and Padres have been playing great though and are making it difficult to catch them. However, if the Phils beat the needed tonight on ESPN, the Mets will only be one game behind the Braves for the last playoff spot.

Another great effort by Manaea today. If nothing else, it should be an interesting end for the season.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...rce=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=5973799

"The New York Mets closed August feeling good about themselves. Bring on September, they say, and all that comes with the final month of the regular season amid a push for a spot in the playoffs."

" In a three-game sweep over the historically bad Chicago White Sox, the New York Mets showed a different level of resolve. Veterans acknowledged before the weekend that such games against poor clubs in lightly-attended stadiums at the end of long road trips can present a mental challenge. After playing back-to-back, drama-filled series against the San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks, two teams ahead of them in the wild-card standings, it would have been easy for the Mets to lose some focus, take things for granted. Instead, the Mets handled the assignment."

"The New York Mets did their part. Over the weekend and indeed over their entire three-city trip, the Mets handled their business to improve their position in the National League wild-card race. A sweep of the moribund Chicago White Sox capped off a 7-3 trip, and while, yes, you can lament that they were mere outs away from going 9-1, you can still concede you’d have taken 7-3 a week and a half ago. Especially when that weekend sweep of the White Sox is paired with Atlanta losing three of four to the Philadelphia Phillies, trimming a four-game lead to one over four days."

Remember that this was an uncertain year, when the Mets were seen to be gearing up for 2025 or beyond. They insisted they could contend this as well but there were many doubters.

"I think what I can try to do is get back on that date or as close to that date as possible," Senga said through a translator before Monday night's series opener against the Boston Red Sox. "And that's what I'm working towards...Whether they use me as a starter or in the bullpen, that's up to them," Senga said. "I just want to be ready to throw as many innings as possible."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom