2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Mets are calling up Acuna. My guess is he will mostly be used as a pinch runner.

Acuna is starting at shortstop today. Injury to Lindor must be at least some concern.

Hell of a way to break into the major leagues.

Let’s be real; this is a major loss for the Mets.

Let’s see what the kid can do.

Last edited:
Mets got three outstanding efforts from their starting pitchers.

Won game 1 easily in a laugher.

But Lindor went into second awkwardly late in the game and 'tweaked' his back. He left the game, did not play Saturday, tried to play Sunday but had to leave after 1 inning.

Despite this the Mets Ggt off to a 4-0 start in game two, but Severino got tired late/Mendoza left him in too long, and he gave up a second HR to Harper to close to 4-3. Danny Young was bad in one of his first big moments pitching the eighth, Garrett Reed almost got them out of it but did not. Lost 6-4.

Third game, Peterson was terrific and brought a shutout into the eighth. Mendoza again stayed with him, going against all analytics and again got burned doing this. It should be noted the Met relievers are no great shakes right now. Nunez is hurt and out for the season. Maton and Butto seem the most reliable and Diaz has been reasonably good the past couple of weeks. But I think Maton pitched 1/2 of an inning and Butto did not pitch at all in the biggest series of the season.

I like Mendoza but it is hard to defend this.

Hope Lindor's MRI today looks good and he makes a quick recovery. Starting a rookie who made a ton of errors at Syracuse at shortstop in the middle of a pennant race is not recommended.

On the positive side, when Acuna got the call to NY, it opened a spot for Jett Williams to get called up from Binghamton to Syracuse. Jett has been hurt almost all season and has been struggling in Binghamton but maybe the move to Syracuse is what he needs to get going. He is said to be a great athlete. He arrives in Syracuse just in time for the final homestand of the regular season. I know I will stop by to see how the kid looks. Hope others can as well. ;)

I was at tonight's SMets game and will also be at the last game on Sunday. (See the SMets thread - after giving me a little time to type out my observations.)

I'll just note than both Mets teams won by 8 runs tonight and that Acuna was 3 for 4 and hit hit first big league home run. Also Pete may have had his best game of the season with 3 for 5 with his 33rd HR and 5 rib-eyes. The Braves lost and so we are two ahead of them - for the moment.

I was at tonight's SMets game and will also be at the last game on Sunday. (See the SMets thread - after giving me a little time to type out my observations.)

I'll just note than both Mets teams won by 8 runs tonight and that Acuna was 3 for 4 and hit hit first big league home run. Also Pete may have had his best game of the season with 3 for 5 with his 33rd HR and 5 rib-eyes. The Braves lost and so we are two ahead of them - for the moment.
Acuna has also been very good in the field, which the Mets needed badly with all the close games they have been playing.

Yesterday was a great day. Mets win, Braves, Diamondbacks and Padres all lose. We finally get up 2 games on the Braves and finally caught the Diamondbacks.

And there is talk Lindor might be able to play in the 4 game series against the Phillies.

Hope is alive in Flushing!

Acuna has also been very good in the field, which the Mets needed badly with all the close games they have been playing.

Yesterday was a great day. Mets win, Braves, Diamondbacks and Padres all lose. We finally get up 2 games on the Braves and finally caught the Diamondbacks.

And there is talk Lindor might be able to play in the 4 game series against the Phillies.

Hope is alive in Flushing!

And we won the season series, (and the tie-breaker) vs. both the D-Backs and the Padres!

And we won the season series, (and the tie-breaker) vs. both the D-Backs and the Padres!
The Mets and Braves are 5-5 head to head this year. If the Mets can win the series against the Braves in Atlanta, they get that tie breaker as well.

Those 3 games in Atlanta are going to be big ones.

Some news out today:

Christian Scott's elbow worse than hoped for. He is getting hybrid Tommy John surgery next week and will be out until late next season (at the earliest).

And Brett Baty, who broke a finger last month and was thought out for the rest of the season, has been activated for Syracuse and will be the DH, hitting third tonight.

It would be great for him if he can finish strong.

Some news out today:

Christian Scott's elbow worse than hoped for. He is getting hybrid Tommy John surgery next week and will be out until late next season (at the earliest).

And Brett Baty, who broke a finger last month and was thought out for the rest of the season, has been activated for Syracuse and will be the DH, hitting third tonight.

It would be great for him if he can finish strong.

"Throughout his early career, New York Mets rookie right-hander Christian Scott has demonstrated a high level of toughness. His competitiveness and ability to overcome setbacks made him think he might avoid elbow surgery. And though that ended up not being the case, Scott’s perseverance in the face of injuries offers a strong indication of his ability to return to form."

"The Mets swept Washington in three of their four series meetings this season, and their 11-2 record against the Nats is the second-best they’ve ever had against a division opponent (behind only the 1986 team’s 17-1 record against the Pirates). If the Mets finish ahead of Atlanta, their success against the Nationals will be a big reason. New York’s 11-2 record against Washington is juxtaposed with Atlanta’s 5-8 mark against the Nats. That’s a six-game difference."

The Braves series will tell a lot about this Mets team. Braves seem to be the Mets Kryptonite. Need to take this series and put them to bed. Nice win tonight. Keep it going!

The power has really shown up this year and shows no signs of letting up. The Phillies have been very mediocre away from home this year so a great chance to keep ahead of Atlanta even with the tough schedule to finish out.

Just Imagine if the Mets had not blown those 2 late leads vs Philly last weekend.

They would be 2 back right now.

Even just winning one of those would have made this series even bigger

Just Imagine if the Mets had not blown those 2 late leads vs Philly last weekend.

They would be 2 back right now.

Even just winning one of those would have made this series even bigger

The Mets won the first game of that series 11-3, then took a 4-0 in game 2. Then they scored 1 run in the last 15 innings of the series. That's been their pattern - hit like the 1927 Yankees, then hit like the 1962 Mets. They can't afford to do that in their last 9 games.

I was at the Syracuse Mets game last night. Good crowd. Lots of people wanted the Irish Mets jersey, which was pretty cool. I got there at 5:50 and was 5 minutes too late.

Jett Williams is up playing SS for Syracuse now. He has nice bat speed, and hit the ball hard. Understands the strike zone well. And is fast and a really good baserunner. He is going to be a very good MLB player I think.

Brett Baty did not play. My guess is that his finger was sore after playing the night before. He got back to playing in record time after breaking that finger.

Sproat started. My first time seeing him pitch. He threw his fastball in the 97-99 MPH range consistently. Looked like his slider, which he threw about 89 MPH. was his most effective pitch last night. His changeup was in the 80 MPH range and got knocked around. Location was a proble with everything except his slider.

He had to leave when he got hurt in the third inning. I think a runner from third tried to score on a wild pitch and he spiked Sproat when he ran to home to try and tag him. Didn't look serious.

Drew Gilbert has a really strong arm. He played RF and made a throw to home on the fly from deep RF near the line. The SMets lost 7-3. Another lackluster performance from them late in the year as the season ends with a long streak of not very good play.

It was however a beautiful night and that night was made nicer by what the Mets were doing to the Phillies seemingly every time I checked my phone. The Mets have now scored 10 or more runs three games in a row for the first time in their history.

Walker started for the Phils. Our old friend has had a miserable year in Philadelphia and it was no surprise he was shelled. Things get tougher from here though as each starting pitcher the Phils throw at the Mets the rest of the series has a better ERA.

The starters for the remaining three games:

Sanchez 3.24 ERA vs Peterson 2.85 ERA
Suarez 3.13 ERA vs Manaea 3.26 ERA
Wheeler 2.56 ERA vs Megill 4.08 ERA

The Mets used Diaz, Reed, Stanek and D Young in relief last night. Maton and Butto will likely be used today. Maybe A Young and maybe Diaz. Brazobán or Ottavino if things get ugly.

Wish they had given Diaz the day off and not have him pitch the ninth with a 4 run lead.

It will be interesting to see if Lindor starts tonight. Sanchez and Suarez are both lefties and Francisco hits lefties better than righties. It has to be tempting. That said, Acuna hits right handed and I think Mendoza is probably going to keep playing Acuna at SS if Lindor can't play and we face a lefty.

When we play Wheeler on Sunday, that is the day it would really be good to get Lindor back. If he still can't go then, I think Eddy Alvarez plays 2B (he hits left handed) and Iglesias plays SS.

It is really good to see Francisco Alvarez coming out of his long funk at just the right time. Vientos finally went into a slump recently but it looks like he is coming out of his now as well. Nimmo is showing signs of life as well.

Even Pete Alonso appears to finally be in a genuine groove hitting right now. This is all really needed with Lindor out.

Let's hope it continues.

Brewers clinch then they are getting likely swept at home by the Dbacks and have been kind of listless in the series. Maybe they can be as kind to us but I doubt they will. Annoying.

Need to find a way to get another win tonight and keep pace.

The Braves won. Diamondbacks blew a lead and lost.

So if the Mets can beat the Phiillies tonight, they draw even with the Diamondbacks and stay 2 games in front of Braves. And they really area ahead of the Diamondbacks since they hold the time breaker.

The problem is that the Phillies have their ace (Wheeler) going and the Mets have their shakiest starter (Megill) pitching.

Plus the Mets had to use two of their best relievers (Reed and Diaz) to get the win yesterday.

Need Megill to pitch well and get into the 7th. Then hope guys like Maton and Butto can finish it.

It is going to be really hard to pull this one off.

The Braves won. Diamondbacks blew a lead and lost.

So if the Mets can beat the Phiillies tonight, they draw even with the Diamondbacks and stay 2 games in front of Braves. And they really area ahead of the Diamondbacks since they hold the time breaker.

The problem is that the Phillies have their ace (Wheeler) going and the Mets have their shakiest starter (Megill) pitching.

Plus the Mets had to use two of their best relievers (Reed and Diaz) to get the win yesterday.

Need Megill to pitch well and get into the 7th. Then hope guys like Maton and Butto can finish it.

It is going to be really hard to pull this one off.

This team is in full playoff mode now. I hope they can stay there for another month.

Ariz blowing an 8 run lead.

Mets staying in it after blowing 2 leads last week vs phlly. Flip those 2 games the Mets are 1 out of first 4 from the 1 seed. Not gonna happen but that would have been fun.

Mets-Atl need at least 1 and 2 would be great. 1-2

Dodgers - SD lets see the Dodgers step it up here and sweep 2-1

Ariz- SF can SF win at least 1 of these. 2-1

That would leave

SD 91
Ariz 89
Mets 88
Atl 87

Dodger sweep and who knows because one of SD/Ariz is gonna lose 2 that last set of games

KC needing to win as well vs ATL is a help hopefully

Mets staying in it after blowing 2 leads last week vs phlly. Flip those 2 games the Mets are 1 out of first 4 from the 1 seed. Not gonna happen but that would have been fun.

That would leave

SD 91
Ariz 89
Mets 88
Atl 87

Dodger sweep and who knows because one of SD/Ariz is gonna lose 2 that last set of games

Quintana 1 ER in last 32 innings so hope he keeps it up and we can get game 1 to start off well.

That would leave

SD 91
Ariz 89
Mets 88
Atl 87

That was a great win last night. Very exciting game. This team has been at their best playing against the best and they did it again this weekend over the Phils.

Was surprised Diaz pitched at all. Pitching a guy who recently came off the IL on consecutive days seems risky. Pitching him 2 innings after pitching the day before seems ever more so, I hope Edwin is okay, Glad there is a day off before the Braves series.

I haven’t seen it published anywhere but I think if we win 2 of 3 against the Braves, ,we clinch a playoff spot and eliminate the Braves. That would put us 3 games up on the Braves with 3 to go and win have the tie breaker over them. After that disastrous late series against them a couple of years ago, it would be nice to eliminate them this season.

But they have been dominant over us for a long time. It will be tough. I am sure they will give us their best shot.

87 wins with 6 games left to play. I remember making a post around 10 days ago thinking we needed 89 wins to have a reasonable chance to get into the playoffs. Looks like it might be a couple more.

Moving ahead of the Diamondbacks is really nice and not expected but is it in the best interests of the Mets?

Let’s assume we make the playoffs. Would it be better to finish with the 2nd wildcard spot, and play the Padres (I assume we are not catching them) or finish with the 3rd wildcard spot and play the Brewers?

The Brewers are 5-5 in their last 10. The Padres have won 8 of their last 9. The Padres are red hot, have terrific pitching and very good hitting. I would rather play the Brewers.

It makes for an interesting discussion. Would the Mets under any circumstances consider throwing one or more games of the last series against the Brewers to ensure they get to play them again in the first round of the playoffs?

The Diamondbacks finish with 2 3 game series against the Giants and the Padres. So that 3 game series against the Padres will also play a big role in determining who the Padres play in the playoffs.

If the Padres prefer to play the Diamondbacks, they need Arizona to finish second. Which means they need to lose as many games as possible to the Diamondbacks to get this. Of course, they are only up on Arizona by 3 games, so depending on what happens in the games Tuesday-Thursday, they may need to win at least one of the head to head games with Arizona.

But depending on how things fall, it is possible the Mets and Diamondbacks might both want to lose their last series so they finish with a worse record than the other team. It is funny things are breaking the way they are. What are the odds of this?

Last edited:
I’m just excited that the Mets are in this position and we are talking about playoff baseball. In mid-May it looked pretty dismal but Ya Gotta Believe. Let’s win the whole damn thing. Need to get Lindor back. I’m losing hope on Senga.

I’m just excited that the Mets are in this position and we are talking about playoff baseball. In mid-May it looked pretty dismal but Ya Gotta Believe. Let’s win the whole damn thing. Need to get Lindor back. I’m losing hope on Senga.
The Mets announced Senga felt tricep tightness after his 1 inning rehab start in Syracuse. He will not pitch during the regular season.

What a shame for him and the Mets.

Lindor is saying disturbing things like if he can play again this season (not when) and that he will not play pain free this season.

Here is a list of injured players so far….

Raley
Senga
D Smith
Nunez
Scott
Reid-Foley
Blackburn

Mauricio
McNeil
Lindor

Plus Drew Gilbert and Jett Williams were hurt almost the entire season and lost a year of development.

It has been a crazy season. The Mets have overcome a lot of adversity but I don’t think they also can handle losing Lindor the rest of the way. I hope he is able to return and play like he has been playing all season.

Let’s hope there is just a bit of magic left.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom