2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

That was a great win last night. Very exciting game. This team has been at their best playing against the best and they did it again this weekend over the Phils.

Was surprised Diaz pitched at all. Pitching a guy who recently came off the IL on consecutive days seems risky. Pitching him 2 innings after pitching the day before seems ever more so, I hope Edwin is okay, Glad there is a day off before the Braves series.

I haven’t seen it published anywhere but I think if we win 2 of 3 against the Braves, ,we clinch a playoff spot and eliminate the Braves. That would put us 3 games up on the Braves with 3 to go and win have the tie breaker over them. After that disastrous late series against them a couple of years ago, it would be nice to eliminate them this season.

But they have been dominant over us for a long time. It will be tough. I am sure they will give us their best shot.

87 wins with 6 games left to play. I remember making a post around 10 days ago thinking we needed 89 wins to have a reasonable chance to get into the playoffs. Looks like it might be a couple more.

Moving ahead of the Diamondbacks is really nice and not expected but is it in the best interests of the Mets?

Let’s assume we make the playoffs. Would it be better to finish with the 2nd wildcard spot, and play the Padres (I assume we are not catching them) or finish with the 3rd wildcard spot and play the Brewers?

The Brewers are 5-5 in their last 10. The Padres have won 8 of their last 9. The Padres are red hot, have terrific pitching and very good hitting. I would rather play the Brewers.

It makes for an interesting discussion. Would the Mets under any circumstances consider throwing one or more games of the last series against the Brewers to ensure they get to play them again in the first round of the playoffs?

The Diamondbacks finish with 2 3 game series against the Giants and the Padres. So that 3 game series against the Padres will also play a big role in determining who the Padres play in the playoffs.

If the Padres prefer to play the Diamondbacks, they need Arizona to finish second. Which means they need to lose as many games as possible to the Diamondbacks to get this. Of course, they are only up on Arizona by 3 games, so depending on what happens in the games Tuesday-Thursday, they may need to win at least one of the head to head games with Arizona.

But depending on how things fall, it is possible the Mets and Diamondbacks might both want to lose their last series so they finish with a worse record than the other team. It is funny things are breaking the way they are. What are the odds of this?

Whoever you play in the playoffs will be a team than can beat you, and that you can beat. Preferring one team or another is pointless. It's how you and they are playing at that time.

"Mendoza didn’t turn over tables or start looking over his shoulder. Players were impressed with his demeanor during the first few weeks of the season, as he acclimated to being under the microscope under less-than-ideal circumstances.

“He really is the best of both worlds,” said Nimmo. “You want to do the best that you can for him. But he also has that empathy of being able to be like, ‘Hey, it’s a hard game. Don’t be too hard on yourself.’ And he knows when to use both.”

"The reminder stays on Luisangel Acuña’s bat, just below where his name appears, handwritten in black marker.

Less is more.

Those words wound up on Acuña’s bat a couple of weeks ago, before the New York Mets called him up from Triple A, before he began competently filling in for injured star shortstop Francisco Lindor during a playoff push."

That was a great win last night. Very exciting game. This team has been at their best playing against the best and they did it again this weekend over the Phils.

Was surprised Diaz pitched at all. Pitching a guy who recently came off the IL on consecutive days seems risky. Pitching him 2 innings after pitching the day before seems ever more so, I hope Edwin is okay, Glad there is a day off before the Braves series.

I haven’t seen it published anywhere but I think if we win 2 of 3 against the Braves, ,we clinch a playoff spot and eliminate the Braves. That would put us 3 games up on the Braves with 3 to go and win have the tie breaker over them. After that disastrous late series against them a couple of years ago, it would be nice to eliminate them this season.

But they have been dominant over us for a long time. It will be tough. I am sure they will give us their best shot.

87 wins with 6 games left to play. I remember making a post around 10 days ago thinking we needed 89 wins to have a reasonable chance to get into the playoffs. Looks like it might be a couple more.

Moving ahead of the Diamondbacks is really nice and not expected but is it in the best interests of the Mets?

Let’s assume we make the playoffs. Would it be better to finish with the 2nd wildcard spot, and play the Padres (I assume we are not catching them) or finish with the 3rd wildcard spot and play the Brewers?

The Brewers are 5-5 in their last 10. The Padres have won 8 of their last 9. The Padres are red hot, have terrific pitching and very good hitting. I would rather play the Brewers.

It makes for an interesting discussion. Would the Mets under any circumstances consider throwing one or more games of the last series against the Brewers to ensure they get to play them again in the first round of the playoffs?

The Diamondbacks finish with 2 3 game series against the Giants and the Padres. So that 3 game series against the Padres will also play a big role in determining who the Padres play in the playoffs.

If the Padres prefer to play the Diamondbacks, they need Arizona to finish second. Which means they need to lose as many games as possible to the Diamondbacks to get this. Of course, they are only up on Arizona by 3 games, so depending on what happens in the games Tuesday-Thursday, they may need to win at least one of the head to head games with Arizona.

But depending on how things fall, it is possible the Mets and Diamondbacks might both want to lose their last series so they finish with a worse record than the other team. It is funny things are breaking the way they are. What are the odds of this?
I think you're right about the math being 2 out 3 clinches a playoff spot, but realistically my Braves need to sweep. I thought the Braves might be able to make up ground over the weekend, but to the Mets credit, that was a great series taking 3 out of 4 vs Philly. Mets really earned it by doing that.

I think you're right about the math being 2 out 3 clinches a playoff spot, but realistically my Braves need to sweep. I thought the Braves might be able to make up ground over the weekend, but to the Mets credit, that was a great series taking 3 out of 4 vs Philly. Mets really earned it by doing that.
Whoever wins this series also gets the tie breaker. Right now each team has won 5 against each other.

The stakes are high.

Very interested to see how Sale does. Hopefully he is okay after what happened during his last start.

Manaea has copied some things from Sale and credited Chris for helping to turn around his career. Fortunately, Sean did not copy Sale’s delivery, which seems designed to force an arm injury.

May the better team win!

baseball victories this time of year are like squeezing the last toothpaste out of the tube. You've got to really work at it. Hopefully the tube isn't empty. We don't need 10 runs a game to win. I don't want to see one of those 10-15 inning stretches where suddenly we can't score.

"Winners of six out of eight games since Francisco Lindor, their MVP candidate, went down with a back injury, the Mets are oozing with confidence."

Hmm...I can remember times where I was confident and the Mets just oozed.

"When asked directly whether he’s 100 percent confident he would return from a back injury that has held him out of the last seven games, Francisco Lindor said he was optimistic. Back issues are notoriously tricky. Already, Lindor has missed the original timetable he offered of a return within two to five days. Lindor said it was hard to answer whether he’d be available to play Tuesday, adding he’d have to see how he feels Monday first then pass a checklist from the training staff. If Lindor does return, it won’t be without pain"

"This, of course, is the exact same scenario the Mets were presented with two seasons ago. Go to Atlanta for the penultimate series of the year, clinch the division with two wins or control your own destiny with one. Instead, they were swept that weekend and eliminated the following one in front of less than a packed house at Citi Field.

And September series in Atlanta have long haunted the Mets."

This team has done its best under the toughest circumstances. Even if there is an awful collapse, I feel like these guys have played their butts off and over achieved.

I said before the season started I would be thrilled if the Mets played well enough to be in the playoff hunt in September. I have really enjoyed this team.

Hopefully they can finish strong.

This team has done its best under the toughest circumstances. Even if there is an awful collapse, I feel like these guys have played their butts off and over achieved.

I said before the season started I would be thrilled if the Mets played well enough to be in the playoff hunt in September. I have really enjoyed this team.

Hopefully they can finish strong.

Remember when the Mets were being criticized for writing off 2024 and looking toward 2025 and 2026? And Cohen, Stearns and Mendoza insisted they weren't?

as much as I appreciated what Buck did for the Mets -- this go around, controlling our destiny in ATL late in the season, I am confident in Mendoza here. This team's demeanor, attitude, and comradery has been incredible to watch.

I think Pat Murphy gets Manager of the Year, but damn has Mendoza been spectacular.

as much as I appreciated what Buck did for the Mets -- this go around, controlling our destiny in ATL late in the season, I am confident in Mendoza here. This team's demeanor, attitude, and comradery has been incredible to watch.

I think Pat Murphy gets Manager of the Year, but damn has Mendoza been spectacular.
It would be hard for me to pick between these two. Both would be great choices.

I believe Pat Murphy is a Syracuse native. Went to CBA and then LeMoyne.

he was someone I thought the Mets would go after, since they looked at him in 2019, but he has been awesome for the Brew Crew

It would be insane to ask the Mets to fly back to Atlanta the day after the season ends against Milwaukee and then presumably fly out to San Diego or more likely back to Milwaukee to play the following day.

If a game is rained out and is meaningful, have the Braves fly to Milwaukee the day after the season ends and play the make up game there. The winner would presumably end up playing back in Milwaukee the next day.

It would be insane to ask the Mets to fly back to Atlanta the day after the season ends against Milwaukee and then presumably fly out to San Diego or more likely back to Milwaukee to play the following day.

If a game is rained out and is meaningful, have the Braves fly to Milwaukee the day after the season ends and play the make up game there. The winner would presumably end up playing back in Milwaukee the next day.

Can they do it that way?

So far tonight, the Braves are making all the plays. 0-4. :(

I watched the Braves MLB TV broadcast last night and they weren't very optimistic about even getting today's game in based on the forecast and tomorrow was really bad news. Hope they can at least play today.

I watched the Braves MLB TV broadcast last night and they weren't very optimistic about even getting today's game in based on the forecast and tomorrow was really bad news. Hope they can at least play today.
Just looked at the forecast and yes, it looks unlikely they will be able to play either of these games as scheduled. Even if they do, the conditions are going to be so bad I fear the results will be questionable and there is a good chance some players could get hurt.

Atlanta could get 5 inches of rain on Thursday. That is crazy.

What will MLB do if both games are rained out?

Just looked at the forecast and yes, it looks unlikely they will be able to play either of these games as scheduled. Even if they do, the conditions are going to be so bad I fear the results will be questionable and there is a good chance some players could get hurt.

Atlanta could get 5 inches of rain on Thursday. That is crazy.

What will MLB do if both games are rained out?

Would they dare scrap both for a monday double header? Which could in theory be pointless? There is no way they're playing today or tomorrow in ATL

Would they dare scrap both for a monday double header? Which could in theory be pointless? There is no way they're playing today or tomorrow in ATL
If they do schedule a doubleheader for next Monday and it turns out the games are pointless, they will not be played.

But with the Braves, Mets and Diamondbacks within 1.5 games of each other, it seems likely a doubleheader at the end of the season would have meaning.

Sometimes it all seems like some kind of evil conspiracy designed to make Mets fans crazy. There is a lot of evidence that points in this direction. And I think it is already working.

No need for more.

;)

really surprised here, given that this has been the forecast for days that they didnt try to play this game early today to get it in. It doesnt help either team to have to try and play a DH next week before the playoffs.

It helps the Mets a bit in that Sales will pitch this week end not be available on Monday though,

Still though the forecast was for rain much of today even 1-2pm it still looks dry there. its going north right now

It would be hard for me to pick between these two. Both would be great choices.

I believe Pat Murphy is a Syracuse native. Went to CBA and then LeMoyne.

Do you know when Murphy was at LeMoyne? He is 65 so it would probably be about 1977 His wikipedia site says he played University for Florida Atlantic but doesn't mention LeMoyne.
I found a FAU sports article that says he played basketball at LeMoyne - Did he play against Cuse in the December 1977 Carrier Classic game ? (After Cuse beat LeMoyne they played Mich St. with Magic johnson the next day)
Ironically if he was at LeMoyne at that time another student would have been Rob Manfred.

Do you know when Murphy was at LeMoyne? He is 65 so it would probably be about 1977 His wikipedia site says he played University for Florida Atlantic but doesn't mention LeMoyne.
I found a FAU sports article that says he played basketball at LeMoyne - Did he play against Cuse in the December 1977 Carrier Classic game ? (After Cuse beat LeMoyne they played Mich St. with Magic johnson the next day)
Ironically if he was at LeMoyne at that time another student would have been Rob Manfred.
I do not but I do know he is not listed as a letterwinner for LeMoyne basketball. It looks like he was not an big part of the team.

He grew up in Eastwood on Midler Ave. About 4 blocks from me. Was a juvenile delinquent type who apparently got on the straight and narrow at CBA. Good for him.

That 1977 SU-LeMoyne game was in the most famous Carrier Classic of them all. This was the one Michigan State and Syracuse played in the final, Syracuse won and Earvin 'Magic' Johnson was named the MVP anyway.

I don't think Pat got any votes. My guess is that he didn't play but I can't find a box score. Someone from the PS should ask him about it. I bet he has some good stories about it. And they should ask about Rob Manfred while they are at it. You are right; he was at LeMoyne from 1976-1978.

Last edited:
I don't know that baseball could do much until the game was rained out unless Atlanta wanted to get it moved up. Until the game starts the home team controls the action. Except for the playoffs, maybe the should fix that rule so games this late dont get so messed up.

Only good knews is we wont face Fried or Sales now that last day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom