2024 Preseason Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

Where did you see that? Would be a very interesting move

Both played some two way at Princeton. I could see Stevens seeing some time at SSDM in bigger game with real tough matchups but we aren't gonna be Albany and start running two way middies most of the game.

Both played some two way at Princeton. I could see Stevens seeing some time at SSDM in bigger game with real tough matchups but we aren't gonna be Albany and start running two way middies most of the game.
That plus guys like Kempney and maybe younger Spallina could see time as well...might be getting a little more of that transition that people have wanted

Looking at Tiffany's comment on Boyden:
2024 – “Jack has the flair for the dramatic. The artistic creativity with both his passing and shooting makes him both dangerous and unpredictable. Playing an aggressive, player-friendly system at Tufts has allowed Jack to explore and push boundaries, the result of which has promoted his exceptional development. Jack hunts points, and his teammates have learned to always pay attention to him because a ball may be flying their way when it is least expected. There is a joy to be experienced when witnessing Jack playing this game.”

It doesn't seem quite as superlative as that for Millon.

Looking at Boyden, I think you can get by with being a step slower or not having the most powerful shot at the DIII level and still do well.

Boyden's totals of 66g-88a, 157 pts is impressive. It was over 23 games though, which leads to an average of 6.83 points per game. When one looks at Boyden's game by game stats
(click on the <season> link.)
There were a number of games where Boyden was held in check. Most notable might be the final game against Salisbury where Boyden had 1g and 2a. Typically, fans feel Salisbury would be comparable to a team around #20 in D1. In Tufts two games against Lynchburg, he is listed with 0g, 4a and 1g, 1a. In games were Tufts really got it going offensively, Boyden often did really well - Boyden had 10+ points 7 times. On the other hand, Boyden had 9 games where he had 4 points or less. It does lead to feeling that Boyden would be defendable by a good D1 long stick defenseman, and that Tiffany might be looking to get Boyden matched up on ssdms.
in a 23 game season, even one where someone scores 157 points, no one is going to score exactly 6.83 points every game. boyden faced a bunch of shutoffs and probably junk defenses as the season wore on, though sal played him largely straight up. he got attention, but sal was just better and played harder. the previous year he was 4 and 3 against the gulls in the semis and then went for 6 in a loss in the finals. he was 4 and 1 against lynchburg. it's minutiae.

just some of the updates/info leak... in their scrimmage vs colgate... was millon/boyden/mencke. boyden bounced some with mid. millon played all 4 quarters at attack only. mencke played 1st half. boyden went for 6 against div 1 colgate, mencke 6. millon didn't score and may not have pointed but supposedly did a good job keeping the ball moving and sometimes getting the d started.

also, sunderland was on m1. terenzi was not on either of the official "1st 2 lines" as subs came on but on the field a lot, essentially starting as a wing and then doing what 2 way guys do.

with 2 starters at attack missing and it being fall (and a fall scrimmage), serve grains of salt on any of it. boyden has played some mid both in h.s. and at tufts. if i were to be using only the above, i'd guess boyden and millon split time at att, with boyden going to mid when he's out. personally, i don't see sunderland as a fixture at mid, and when shellenberger's back his role would seem to more supplant millon's but we'll see.

fwiw, 3 or 4 media types and also uva fans have posted for practice. all have been effusive about boyden, shot angles, feeding, smarts. and there's been more that's leaked with interviews. look forward to see if it all translates.

burt and definitely erdmann may be frosh hoo get on the field as 2 way and ssdm, respectively. hoos will def be younger, newer and/or less experienced in spots. mainly f/o, defense, o and d mid.

I have not seen every last bit of footage of Stevens and English, but am pretty confident that Thomson can do things as a feeder that neither of them, and very few players in general, can do. We created a lot of looks off the two man game between him and Simmons last season, and he could do similar things with either English or Stevens, since they are both righties. He developed some good chemistry with Spallina as the season went on as well. 6 guys who play like him would not work, but if you have enough guys out there who can dodge and draw slides, a guy like Thomson can maximize the value of the offense.

Would like to see him clean up the shooting a little and save the fancy finishes for when it is a necessity. He could have buried a few more last season if he kept it simple.
thanks for the response. Will watch Thomson more carefully this season. I had not considered his feeding skills when I asked about him.

I am interested in your idea that Thomson, a non dodger, should nevertheless play mid 1 instead of Stevens. Do you think wing responsibilities will tire Stevens? I have watched both Stevens and English for the last few years. Steven's versatility has seemed to relegate him at times to spot appearances. As good as English was when he was healthy, I think Stevens on offense was more dangerous and more athletic. Never seemed to tire. I have not watched Thomson nearly as much as I have watched these two, certainly not enough to judge him, but I think he has not reached the level of competence that either of the grads has achieved. I'm very interested in your comparisons of the three players.

The program/staff is very high on Thomson (for obvious reasons), while I agree his dodging is less then optimal I would be very surprised if they dropped him to the 2nd line. As noted by another poster they love him in the two man game and feel he adds a unique feeding ability at midfield an can finish inside and out. I do think the concerns about his dodging ability are valid. As good as he was at times last year there were several games where a team put an LSM on him and he struggled to make much of an impact. I don't expect him to suddenly become Curry or Dordevic but I am hoping he shows a little more dodging ability as English or Stevens or Leo will surely draw the pole most games leaving him with a shorty.

I could see some scenarios where SU subs him off and runs a first midline of Stevens, English and Leo or maybe even a mix of Rhoa if a team tries to play zone.

What a joke.
I have no issue with ND at 1, but I would have Maryland at 2(because of the healthy return of Zap and Logan M). I don't think either UNC or Virginia are top 5. No mention of Penn State? Come on.

Usually they start early afternoon, don't know exact time today
Thanks! No injuries is all we need! Honestly felt a little nervous about this game last year after the disaster the first time they played in 2022. Now just want everyone to stay healthy. This will be a challenge for Kohn and Mullen at the face off X. But we know we got a good team here so score is kind of whatever

Thanks! No injuries is all we need! Honestly felt a little nervous about this game last year after the disaster the first time they played in 2022. Now just want everyone to stay healthy. This will be a challenge for Kohn and Mullen at the face off X. But we know we got a good team here so score is kind of whatever

Agreed, no injuries is the key. Michigan will be a tough test for sure, we should get a good feel on a few positions/guys. Fogo will be very interesting

this is not the news you want to hear but i was told michigan was up pretty big when starters came out...
only a scrimmage, but still work to do. better today than next week
If so then Gary should be on the hot seat

this is not the news you want to hear but i was told michigan was up pretty big when starters came out...

That’s a bummer. Was at least expecting them to keep it close. I think SU won the scrimmage last year and obviously Michigan had the better season. Hopefully the reverse happens this year. As long as no one was hurt, will try not to lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the update.

Less then optimal news to say the least.

That’s a bummer. Was at least expecting them to keep it close. I think SU won the scrimmage last year and obviously Michigan had the better season. Hopefully the reverse happens this year. As long as no one was hurt, will try not to lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the update.

Agreed don't want to read to much into an initial scrimmage against another top 10 team. That said if NYCs info is accurate (I have no reason to believe it isn't), this is hardly the news you wanna hear especially when Gait triple downed on an extremely difficult schedule. Need to hear more but hard not to be a bit concerned.

I was told we were down 9-4 at half with the starters.
(6 goals in the First Quarter - some due to clearing issues). Clearing was better in the 2nd. Michigan was in a 10 man ride some which caused issues.
FOs were good. (Above 60 percent)
We were on man-down 3 times in the 1st. They scored twice.
Michigan goalie had some good saves.

We did have one injury at DM but I’ll let them announce the players name. Not sure how serious.

I was told we were down 9-4 at half with the starters.
(6 goals in the First Quarter - some due to clearing issues). Clearing was better in the 2nd. Michigan was in a 10 man ride some which caused issues.
FOs were good. (Above 60 percent)
We were on man-down 3 times in the 1st. They scored twice.
Michigan goalie had some good saves.

We did have one injury at DM but I’ll let them announce the players name. Not sure how serious.

Thanks DMV, last comment is the worst news and at a position we can least afford. Think we're in year 3 of losing someone in this Michigan scrimmage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom