02, 2024
TBDCornell UniversityIthaca, N.Y. | Schoellkopf Field
April
13, 2024
TBDNorth CarolinaChapel Hill, N.C. | Dorrance Field
April
20, 2024
TBDVirginiaSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome

Kudos to those who were able to piece this together weeks and months ago. Pretty much what we expected.

February
03, 2024
TBDVermontSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
05, 2024
TBDColgateSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
09, 2024
TBDManhattanSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
17, 2024
TBDMarylandSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
21, 2024
TBDUtahSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
28, 2024
TBDArmy West PointSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
02, 2024
TBDHigh PointSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
09, 2024
TBDJohns HopkinsCharlotte, N.C.
March
16, 2024
TBDDelawareTBD
March
20, 2024
TBDDukeSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
23, 2024
TBDHobartGeneva, N.Y. | Boswell Field at David J. Urick Stadium
March
30, 2024
TBDNotre DameSouth Bend, Ind. | Arlotta Stadium
April
02, 2024
April
13, 2024
April
20, 2024

That's a lot of home games, nine of 15 total and seven (!) straight to start the season. Only four "real" road games. Four of five games on the road to end the season is a little rough, but hard to really complain given the imbalance. It looks like the UNC game will not be back in DC like previously reported, that makes the neutral site games against Delaware and Hopkins make a bit more sense.

No real surprises thanks to some intrepid posters on this board (big thank you btw). Tough schedule all things considered, as they have the ACC games plus games against preseason top 10 teams in Army, Maryland and Hopkins. Cornell should be up there as well. All in all hard to be displeased with this lineup.

February
03, 2024
TBDVermontSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
05, 2024
TBDColgateSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
09, 2024
TBDManhattanSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
17, 2024
TBDMarylandSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
21, 2024
TBDUtahSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
February
28, 2024
TBDArmy West PointSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
02, 2024
TBDHigh PointSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
09, 2024
TBDJohns HopkinsCharlotte, N.C.
March
16, 2024
TBDDelawareTBD
March
20, 2024
TBDDukeSyracuse, N.Y. | JMA Wireless Dome
March
23, 2024
TBDHobartGeneva, N.Y. | Boswell Field at David J. Urick Stadium
March
30, 2024
TBDNotre DameSouth Bend, Ind. | Arlotta Stadium
April
02, 2024
April
13, 2024
April
20, 2024

All in all a pretty tough schedule, from Hop to the end vs Virginia is probably as difficult a stretch as any team in the country is going to play.

A couple general thoughts:

I like that SU is playing a 15 game schedule, 13 is to few and asking for problems if you stumble a bit.

Wish SU had worked with Cornell to split up the home and home so its the opposite of Hop. Would be nice to see at least one of those teams at home every year.

Glad to see Hobart is still on the schedule, no issue playing at Bart but would have preferred a little later in the season. That said it looks like we got it as late as possible with the ACC schedule backloaded for everyone.

First world problems but all things equal Id rather play Albany then Delaware at some random location in Virginia. Will certainly help the RPI more but not sure we need that game in the middle of that stretch.

Duke date has to be wrong, the 20th is a Wed, can't imagine that's correct.

A few key games standout - Maryland and Army early will be tough matchups. Gonna need to go at least 1-1 here, 0-2 would be a bad omen for the death part of the schedule.

Last 4 will be key as well - @ND, @ Cornell, @ UNC, home for UVA. Gotta be 2-2 there at least. That UNC game will be tricky even if they are struggling.

Don't see a game that jumps out as an obvious trap game in the OOC, most realistic is probably Utah when you see who they are sandwiched around. Hobart 3 days after Duke and @ Bart in god knows what weather is one to keep an eye on as well.

That's a lot of home games, nine of 15 total and seven (!) straight to start the season. Only four "real" road games. Four of five games on the road to end the season is a little rough, but hard to really complain given the imbalance. It looks like the UNC game will not be back in DC like previously reported, that makes the neutral site games against Delaware and Hopkins make a bit more sense.

No real surprises thanks to some intrepid posters on this board (big thank you btw). Tough schedule all things considered, as they have the ACC games plus games against preseason top 10 teams in Army, Maryland and Hopkins. Cornell should be up there as well. All in all hard to be displeased with this lineup.
Home and away ratio is not too imbalanced, just a lot of home games at the start and a lot away towards the end. We can have the easier opponents on there as long as we take care of business against some of the hard ones.

Maybe wish we took out one of the slightly easier opponents towards the beginning. Colgate two days after uvm seems kind of odd. If there is one game I would change or remove it’s that one. It is possible that one or two out of Colgate uvm Hobart and manhattan could be a potential rpi drain, but most have the chance to do pretty well in their own conference. All in all a good schedule with plenty of opportunities to beat elite teams.

good schedule. they need hobart, vermont, manhattan, colgate not to suck. they won't all be terrible but in totality those are a lot of opportunities to be RPI black holes. i worry about colgate in particular. utah, high point, delaware prob won't help you much but also shouldn't hurt you (assuming you win them all). no clue why delaware is at a neutral site in virginia that is super weird to me

Two parts of the schedule really jump out to me… gotta be at least 6-1 after the 7 game home stand.

Then gotta go 1-1 in maybe the toughest 2 game stretch any team in the country will play… @ND on March 30th then @Cornell April 2nd.

All in all a pretty tough schedule, from Hop to the end vs Virginia is probably as difficult a stretch as any team in the country is going to play.

A couple general thoughts:

I like that SU is playing a 15 game schedule, 13 is to few and asking for problems if you stumble a bit.

Wish SU had worked with Cornell to split up the home and home so its the opposite of Hop. Would be nice to see at least one of those teams at home every year.

Glad to see Hobart is still on the schedule, no issue playing at Bart but would have preferred a little later in the season. That said it looks like we got it as late as possible with the ACC schedule backloaded for everyone.

First world problems but all things equal Id rather play Albany then Delaware at some random location in Virginia. Will certainly help the RPI more but not sure we need that game in the middle of that stretch.

Duke date has to be wrong, the 20th is a Wed, can't imagine that's correct.

A few key games standout - Maryland and Army early will be tough matchups. Gonna need to go at least 1-1 here, 0-2 would be a bad omen for the death part of the schedule.

Last 4 will be key as well - @ND, @ Cornell, @ UNC, home for UVA. Gotta be 2-2 there at least. That UNC game will be tricky even if they are struggling.

Don't see a game that jumps out as an obvious trap game in the OOC, most realistic is probably Utah when you see who they are sandwiched around. Hobart 3 days after Duke and @ Bart in god knows what weather is one to keep an eye on as well.

Good stuff as always Jeremey.

I too like the 15 game (in addition to potential ACC Tourney) schedule. I like watching this team play, the more they do it the better in my eyes.

Starting the first week of the season with three games is quite a statement. I think they should start 3-0 for that stretch but the team won't have much of a chance to catch their breaths. Good prep for hopefully an ACC or NCAA Tourney run.

I feel like the most important part of the schedule is that three game stretch against Maryland, Utah and Army. All were NCAA Tournament teams last year and SU has really struggled in recent history with Maryland and Army. they really need to go 2-1 for this stretch. They should be heavily favored against Utah, but a quick turnaround and midweek game is tough. Has letdown-lookahead written all over it. It helps that the Army game is a full week later.

Lots of midweek games which is really strange. Lots of competition for time in the Dome? As someone who watches most every game from home I don't really mind but five non-weekend games seems like a lot.

Wow 9 home games. Teams enjoy playing at the dome so that helps. This team should be ready to beat some of those top teams so the Manhattans and Hobarts shouldn't matter this yr. Last yr the team was young and new so just making the tournament was what everyone hoped for. This team should not only make the tournament but make noise in the tournament.

Home and away ratio is not too imbalanced, just a lot of home games at the start and a lot away towards the end. We can have the easier opponents on there as long as we take care of business against some of the hard ones.

Maybe wish we took out one of the slightly easier opponents towards the beginning. Colgate two days after uvm seems kind of odd. If there is one game I would change or remove it’s that one. It is possible that one or two out of Colgate uvm Hobart and manhattan could be a potential rpi drain, but most have the chance to do pretty well in their own conference. All in all a good schedule with plenty of opportunities to beat elite teams.
Exactly take care of business against some of the hard ones and the easy ones don't matter this yr.

If you can beat a team like UVA Duke or ND you can get away with some hiccups at other times. Those wins against top of the top RPI teams go a long way. Possible that wins over MD, Hop, and maybe Army or Cornell could be of just as high quality. Win 3 or 4 of those 7 higher tier games and getting to the playoffs should get a lot more simple.

Good stuff as always Jeremey.

I too like the 15 game (in addition to potential ACC Tourney) schedule. I like watching this team play, the more they do it the better in my eyes.

Starting the first week of the season with three games is quite a statement. I think they should start 3-0 for that stretch but the team won't have much of a chance to catch their breaths. Good prep for hopefully an ACC or NCAA Tourney run.

I feel like the most important part of the schedule is that three game stretch against Maryland, Utah and Army. All were NCAA Tournament teams last year and SU has really struggled in recent history with Maryland and Army. they really need to go 2-1 for this stretch. They should be heavily favored against Utah, but a quick turnaround and midweek game is tough. Has letdown-lookahead written all over it. It helps that the Army game is a full week later.

Lots of midweek games which is really strange. Lots of competition for time in the Dome? As someone who watches most every game from home I don't really mind but five non-weekend games seems like a lot.

Ya the three games in six days is very Duke esque, Danowksi loves to play 2 teams that opening weekend though not sure he plays a third before the following Sat.

I think some of the rationale for that opening 3 game streak is due to the fact that Vermont willl definitely be in a rebuild with all they lost to graduation and transfer and Manhattan obviously lost their HC to Cuse so again probably two teams that will be better later in the year then they will be in February. The Colgate game to me is intriguing. Lots of rumblings hat they will be improved and they had a decent fall but that PSU game will tell a lot. Kind of surprising almost shocked they agreed to play SU and PSU 2 days apart. I think SU clearly wants multiple games to integrate the new transfers and work on that Defense. Playing 1 game and then Maryland would have been a recipe for disaster.

Agree with you that the early stretch of Maryland, Utah and Army will be pretty big. Obviously Maryland and Army are top 10 teams and Utah is no slouch either though I think they lost a decent amount to graduation and the portal. I've gotten on my soap box over the years on why I am not a huge fan of the Army game but they have a team that looks like it could run the table or close to it this year. Will be an interesting matchup as a lot of SU's guys will have had zero prior experience playing Army with so many 2nd year guys and transfers. Guys like Olexxo, Birtwistle, Rosa Clary etc will hopefully let the team know what there gonna be in for. Again this shouldn't be one of those years Army comes in plays like its the title game wins and then loses to Holy Cross or Bucknell later in the year but I wouldn't have minded if we kept them off the schedule in favor of Albany or someone else. SU played Maryland pretty well last year despite the fact that we won like 4 faceoffs all day. Maryland will again be excellent in goal and at the dot so I suspect another close game.

SU historically has been adverse to playing many or some years any midweek games. This year were playing 4 including multiple games on Wednesday which is baffling to me. I still can't figure out playing Duke on a Wed. SU has never played an ACC game on a non weekend day that I can remember save for that ESPN thursday night ACC matchup thing they did a few years ago. I know you gott afit the game in but your playing at Hobart on a Sat vs at home vs Duke? Not sure I follow that logic.

I think the OOC games considered "lesser" should hold up RPI wise. Clearly SU has to beat some of the marquee names. Cant be like last year where they play reasonably well but go O fer against Duke, ND, UVA, Hop, Maryland etc. I think the schedule is set up pretty well save for maybe the lack of home games late. Personally I would have kept Army off with Maryland back on again but all in all its a top 3 or so OOC clearly.

Ya the three games in six days is very Duke esque, Danowksi loves to play 2 teams that opening weekend though not sure he plays a third before the following Sat.

I think some of the rationale for that opening 3 game streak is due to the fact that Vermont willl definitely be in a rebuild with all they lost to graduation and transfer and Manhattan obviously lost their HC to Cuse so again probably two teams that will be better later in the year then they will be in February. The Colgate game to me is intriguing. Lots of rumblings hat they will be improved and they had a decent fall but that PSU game will tell a lot. Kind of surprising almost shocked they agreed to play SU and PSU 2 days apart. I think SU clearly wants multiple games to integrate the new transfers and work on that Defense. Playing 1 game and then Maryland would have been a recipe for disaster.

Agree with you that the early stretch of Maryland, Utah and Army will be pretty big. Obviously Maryland and Army are top 10 teams and Utah is no slouch either though I think they lost a decent amount to graduation and the portal. I've gotten on my soap box over the years on why I am not a huge fan of the Army game but they have a team that looks like it could run the table or close to it this year. Will be an interesting matchup as a lot of SU's guys will have had zero prior experience playing Army with so many 2nd year guys and transfers. Guys like Olexxo, Birtwistle, Rosa Clary etc will hopefully let the team know what there gonna be in for. Again this shouldn't be one of those years Army comes in plays like its the title game wins and then loses to Holy Cross or Bucknell later in the year but I wouldn't have minded if we kept them off the schedule in favor of Albany or someone else. SU played Maryland pretty well last year despite the fact that we won like 4 faceoffs all day. Maryland will again be excellent in goal and at the dot so I suspect another close game.

SU historically has been adverse to playing many or some years any midweek games. This year were playing 4 including multiple games on Wednesday which is baffling to me. I still can't figure out playing Duke on a Wed. SU has never played an ACC game on a non weekend day that I can remember save for that ESPN thursday night ACC matchup thing they did a few years ago. I know you gott afit the game in but your playing at Hobart on a Sat vs at home vs Duke? Not sure I follow that logic.

I think the OOC games considered "lesser" should hold up RPI wise. Clearly SU has to beat some of the marquee names. Cant be like last year where they play reasonably well but go O fer against Duke, ND, UVA, Hop, Maryland etc. I think the schedule is set up pretty well save for maybe the lack of home games late. Personally I would have kept Army off with Maryland back on again but all in all its a top 3 or so OOC clearly.
I wonder if some of the weekday games is for TV reasons and compete less with weekend entertainment options.

well done. This schedule feels to me like I felt cramming for two or three exams in a week's time in college. Somewhere between panic and suicide. I salute the coaches for their confidence and berate them for their self destructive bent. Only half serious here; however scheduling three games in the first few days and Army then Maryland shortly thereafter, I think, sets SU up for ending playoff possibilities in the first month and a half. Your insight about the Army game makes a lot of sense. The cadets have the coaching, toughness, conditioning, and intelligence to wear down and show up a talented but less experienced team. Maryland when they reach the offensive rhythm of their championship teams are a test for the very best defenses and the cuse ain't there yet. All the same, bring it on.

well done. This schedule feels to me like I felt cramming for two or three exams in a week's time in college. Somewhere between panic and suicide. I salute the coaches for their confidence and berate them for their self destructive bent. Only half serious here; however scheduling three games in the first few days and Army then Maryland shortly thereafter, I think, sets SU up for ending playoff possibilities in the first month and a half. Your insight about the Army game makes a lot of sense. The cadets have the coaching, toughness, conditioning, and intelligence to wear down and show up a talented but less experienced team. Maryland when they reach the offensive rhythm of their championship teams are a test for the very best defenses and the cuse ain't there yet. All the same, bring it on.
Maryland comes before Army, and Syracuse actually gets an eight day break before the Maryland game as the Manhatten game is on a Friday night. Meanwhile, Maryland is playing a tough game with Loyola on Saturday, Feb 10. Syracuse is at home for the Maryland game, so Maryland will also have to travel.

i'm sure i'm an outlier, but 3 games the opening week is not really a big deal, especially as all of them are at home. great chance to get a lot of stuff including rotations and lines set up as well.

the weird one is for sure duke wed. seems pretty clear there was some sort of conflict on either april 6 or 27, whenever 'cuse isn't on the bye, and probably from 'cuse's side as the host. i didn't see anything on jma wireless' schedule that'd preclude but down the line maybe it's evident.

i'm sure i'm an outlier, but 3 games the opening week is not really a big deal, especially as all of them are at home. great chance to get a lot of stuff including rotations and lines set up as well.

the weird one is for sure duke wed. seems pretty clear there was some sort of conflict on either april 6 or 27, whenever 'cuse isn't on the bye, and probably from 'cuse's side as the host. i didn't see anything on jma wireless' schedule that'd preclude but down the line maybe it's evident.

I think your thought process is correct on Duke. I looked into it when the schedule first came out as SU always has a monster truck show in the dome every year/spring ( it's super popular) but dismissed it because it's scheduled for 4/6 and with Duke on the 20th I figured if it impacted the Duke game they would still try to schedule it closer to the 6th but in retrospect I think your spot on.

I don't believe Duke's schedule is out yet but I don't get not doing the game on the 27th unless Duke already has a game. I think SU probably tried its best to get the game in but they would have been better off playing Duke outdoors again at CNS on the 6th if that was the original date versus a Wed game.

I think your thought process is correct on Duke. I looked into it when the schedule first came out as SU always has a monster truck show in the dome every year/spring ( it's super popular) but dismissed it because it's scheduled for 4/6 and with Duke on the 20th I figured if it impacted the Duke game they would still try to schedule it closer to the 6th but in retrospect I think your spot on.

I don't believe Duke's schedule is out yet but I don't get not doing the game on the 27th unless Duke already has a game. I think SU probably tried its best to get the game in but they would have been better off playing Duke outdoors again at CNS on the 6th if that was the original date versus a Wed game.
yeah, that means that 'cuse was scheduled on a bye april 27 (other 4 play). and it was find another location or squeeze it in elsewhere mid-week. if the monster truck show is in every year, not sure when it was scheduled by but this should've been communicated to acc, and acc should've allowed for it in scheduling men's and women's. somebody dropped the ball somewhere.

They should

Johns Hopkins wanted in sigh...
Nobody else matters to JHU as much as Maryland does. Numerous JHU fans have told me this. The only time they would have joined the ACC was while Maryland was a member. Once Maryland asked them to join the B1G, there was no question they'd go there. And had they been an associate member of the ACC, they still would have left.

Not sure if this link will work, but interesting analysis of the Syracuse schedule. Expected Goals seems to think that SU seriously upgraded their schedule.

I think some of their projections should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems they base a lot them on roster turnover, and there is no mention of transfers. No team has upgraded their roster more than SU when it comes to transfers. Regardless, a I think it's worth a read.

Not sure if this link will work, but interesting analysis of the Syracuse schedule. Expected Goals seems to think that SU seriously upgraded their schedule.

I think some of their projections should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems they base a lot them on roster turnover, and there is no mention of transfers. No team has upgraded their roster more than SU when it comes to transfers. Regardless, a I think it's worth a read.

Always a liiiiittle skeptical of this guy, especially in the preseason. Weird that he describes it as a total flip of our out of conference schedule, but a big part of that is making up for the elimination of two ACC opponents. Those two ACC games would likely be harder than any two of our new OOC opponents this season, even Army and Cornell. A little weird that he does not even mention that. Would much rather play Army and Cornell than an additional round of UVA and ND or something like that.

Was able to use the link, thanks. His analysis of the schedule seems a bit over the top and some of the data points he is using and calculations seem flawed or as he noted is using last year versus this year in some of the calculations.

When you look at last year into this year it does appear more daunting as Holy Cross and the Bonnies are off along with Albany and you add Cornell, Army, and Delaware. However, he is not as you pointed out taking into account SU isn't playing Duke twice year, or UNC and if the ACC hadn't gone back to the originally format we were set for UVA and ND twice. He also talks about the first four games being an easier go from the rest of the schedule (despite Maryland being #4) and that SU has a 1.9 Win expectation. 1.9 Seems really low, when you look at who the opponents are, again outside of Maryland.

I think his point that SU could have one of the toughest schedules in the country is not far off at all. With SU playing Army, Cornell, Maryland, and Hop in the OOC they are essentially playing the entire top 10 when you add in the ACC opponents. From that standpoint I do think SU did over schedule a bit. Not sure we needed to add both Cornell and Army if Maryland was being brought back on. 2 of the 3 would have sufficed.

I also think he made a pretty good point about that Duke to ND stretch where its 4 games in 15 days. That's a tough stretch and playing Hobart on the road after a mid week game against Duke isn't exactly a game that screams just show up and get a W.

One thing I will say is that in year 3 under Gait he doesn't seem clear on exactly what he wants to do schedule wise. I worry that he's getting caught up in trying to play the RPI game and falling into the same trap Desko did at times. I don't think anyone is begrudging moving on from Holy Cross and St. Bonnies as both were so bad last year but with the ACC and Hop and usually Cornell already on the schedule each year you have to make reasonable OOC choices. I think this years schedule is pretty good and I like the fact that unlike Desko, Gait added on some additional teams to ensure a 15 game scheduled versus a 13 or even 12 which I think are usually monumental mistakes. I would say that instead of Delaware in the middle of VA, SU would be much better off simply playing Albany at home. I am also not a huge fan of the Army game as a weekday matchup but that's a whole other post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom