3 monster road games and they are going to be | Syracusefan.com

3 monster road games and they are going to be

I guess I'm going to have to root for Duke in their game against Pitt this week.:oops::eek::(

I'll be right back...I need to take a shower.

I'm conflicted on who to root for in that game. On one hand, I like it very much when Duke loses. On the other hand, Pitt losing gives us a little more separation in the standings. Either way, I'll be happy as one will be carrying another L.

Being the ACC doesnt award a regular season crown becomes another factor I consciously weigh when trying to find a reason not to root for Duke. I'm not even sure a shower could cleanse the sick feeling that would give me. I wish I could enjoy games without attachment more than I do.

Being the ACC doesnt award a regular season crown becomes another factor I consciously weigh when trying to find a reason not to root for Duke. I'm not even sure a shower could cleanse the sick feeling that would give me. I wish I could enjoy games without attachment more than I do.

Duke has four loses, two in league. Unless both we and Pitt have epic meltdowns, Duke won't win the regular season crown this year. The crown will be won by a former BE team. I want Duke to give Pitt their second loss, giving us a little breathing room. Our games at Duke and Pitt will be absolute wars. If we split, I'll be happy...

First thing is first though. We need to go to Winston-Salem and take care of Wake Forest...

Last edited:
Is that true? Yesterday they showed Miami's regular season ACC championship banner from last year next to the tournament championship banner. Seems like you wouldn't have a banner if there was no title.

Is that true? Yesterday they showed Miami's regular season ACC championship banner from last year next to the tournament championship banner. Seems like you wouldn't have a banner if there was no title.

I'm only quoting something I've heard on here multiple times, "so it must be true" lol. If the rule were as the people I quoted believed, I'd love to see it changed ASAP. Who knows, maybe the conference doesnt award it but the school itself can award it if they wish? When I was a kid we had leagues with friends and family and we used to award ourselves certain titles as well.

As for breathing room against Pitt, I kept reading how terrible they were and relied on the clutch and grab and other ways to cheat to win and how they'd never be ranked or in contention for a 1 seed. I suppose I shouldnt always believe some posters no matter how popular they are? ;) Anyhow, isnt anyone clever enough to give me a reason it would be acceptable to root against Duke? It would be like rooting for UConn for some of you. I understand the numbers, but if we are truly that good we can sweep Pitt and have clear Big East domination of the league. Are you people of little faith willing to be the reason I reach deep into the recesses of cyber space and summon, call forth the Mighty Mantonio? Then again, if I found out Mantonio was rooting for Duke, I'd have no idea what I'd do with myself or others. Mantonio, if you can hear me, please come forth and grant us the wisdom of the ages as relates to this game; Please make this test of my soul not in vain

Pre-save EDIT: quote from wiki****: "This is a list of Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball regular season first place finishers, including ties. Notably, all champions after 1961 are considered unofficial by the conference, as the ACC elected to eliminate the regular season title following that season. Since then, the conference's bylaws have stated the sole champion is the winner of the ACC Tournament, a rule that remains in place to this day. The conference's automatic NCAA berth is reserved for the ACC champion."

After awhile, as averse to effort as I felt recently, I still figured I'd find out the answer instead of letting one of the crowd favorites swoop down after my hard work and take the title belt in my stead. No, that will not happen, not today. Today I rejoice in a drunken fury and do the Aaron Rodgers interpretation of a pro-wrestler symbolically showing his title belt. I hope that doesnt increase certain posters proclivity to "come at me".

The bottom line, me rooting for Duke is like Marsh rooting for UConn(although now their memory is like the appendix or any other vestigial organ, according to some posters). I just dont want to root for Duke. It would remind me of sex with someone you find repulsive.

Last edited:
iommi said:
I guess I'm going to have to root for Duke in their game against Pitt this week.:oops::eek::( I'll be right back...I need to take a shower.

I think this where I stand. Can't believe it. I loathe Pitt, though.

I will be rooting for Duke. I would like to see Pitt with two league loses come Tuesday morning...

Same here. Pitt losing would be good for us in the standings. And we'll have the ability to deal Duke a loss this Saturday.

I believe that was the Conference Tournament Banner. After 1961 in the ACC, the "True Champion" is the winner of the league tournament

I'm only quoting something I've heard on here multiple times, "so it must be true" lol. If the rule were as the people I quoted believed, I'd love to see it changed ASAP. Who knows, maybe the conference doesnt award it but the school itself can award it if they wish? When I was a kid we had leagues with friends and family and we used to award ourselves certain titles as well.

As for breathing room against Pitt, I kept reading how terrible they were and relied on the clutch and grab and other ways to cheat to win and how they'd never be ranked or in contention for a 1 seed. I suppose I shouldnt always believe some posters no matter how popular they are? ;) Anyhow, isnt anyone clever enough to give me a reason it would be acceptable to root against Duke? It would be like rooting for UConn for some of you. I understand the numbers, but if we are truly that good we can sweep Pitt and have clear Big East domination of the league. Are you people of little faith willing to be the reason I reach deep into the recesses of cyber space and summon, call forth the Mighty Mantonio? Then again, if I found out Mantonio was rooting for Duke, I'd have no idea what I'd do with myself or others. Mantonio, if you can hear me, please come forth and grant us the wisdom of the ages as relates to this game; Please make this test of my soul not in vain

Pre-save EDIT: quote from wiki****: "This is a list of Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball regular season first place finishers, including ties. Notably, all champions after 1961 are considered unofficial by the conference, as the ACC elected to eliminate the regular season title following that season. Since then, the conference's bylaws have stated the sole champion is the winner of the ACC Tournament, a rule that remains in place to this day. The conference's automatic NCAA berth is reserved for the ACC champion."

After awhile, as averse to effort as I felt recently, I still figured I'd find out the answer instead of letting one of the crowd favorites swoop down after my hard work and take the title belt in my stead. No, that will not happen, not today. Today I rejoice in a drunken fury and do the Aaron Rodgers interpretation of a pro-wrestler symbolically showing his title belt. I hope that doesnt increase certain posters proclivity to "come at me".

The bottom line, me rooting for Duke is like Marsh rooting for UConn(although now their memory is like the appendix or any other vestigial organ, according to some posters). I just dont want to root for Duke. It would remind me of s e x with someone you find repulsive.

I think I actually posted the same thing from Wiki, just not actually quotes, about an hour before you lol. It was in the tiebreaker thread

I believe that was the Conference Tournament Banner. After 1961 in the ACC, the "True Champion" is the winner of the league tournament
the tournament winner is just about the true winner in every league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see Pitt with another loss.

Pitt's got some tough opponents leading up to our Feb. 12 matchup though 4 of their next five are in the Pete. Duke, UVa at home and a roadie to Miami could all present a challenge with only VaTech looking like a gimme. After us they play at UNC then coast home so it would be nice to build a little cushion.

And Duke has only 2 converence losses (Not 4) and plays us twice, at Pitt and a pretty soft ride the rest of the way.

very difficult to win. The at Virginia, at Duke and at pitt games will be tough. Win 1 and finsih 29-2 and that would be fine with me.
at Florida State will be a tough game too. They're tough at home and have a big front line. Pitt really got a great schedule...they get all the good teams at home with no return road game (Duke, UVA, FSU). Their only "tough" road game is at UNC and unless they wake up that's not that bad.

Duke has four league loses. Unless both we and Pitt have epic meltdowns, Duke won't win the regular season crown this year. The crown will be won by a former BE team. I want Duke to give Pitt their second loss, giving us a little breathing room. Our games at Duke and Pitt will be absolute wars. If we split, I'll be happy...

First thing is first though. We need to go to Winston-Salem and take care of Wake Forest...

Duke has 4 losses overall; only 2 in the league. And don't count out UVA, who only has one loss.

As for the regular season title thing; I do believe the ACC doesn't officially recognize a regular season champ, but I don't really see why that matters. There is still a regular season champion, teams still hang banners, and it's still something the committee will respect.

the tournament winner is just about the tru winner in every league.
Yeah I know I was just saying, someone asked why they saw the Miami Banner from last year. Florida St has the same banner from the year before when they won the tournament, although UNC won the regular season. Just pointing it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_men's_basketball_regular_season_champions

Note:

"Notably, all champions after 1961 are considered unofficial by the conference, as the ACC elected to eliminate the regular season title following that season. Since then, the conference's bylaws have stated the sole champion is the winner of the ACC Tournament, a rule that remains in place to this day."

So, Miami could have such a banner, but it is not official.

Duke has 4 losses overall; only 2 in the league. And don't count out UVA, who only has one loss.

As for the regular season title thing; I do believe the ACC doesn't officially recognize a regular season champ, but I don't really see why that matters. There is still a regular season champion, teams still hang banners, and it's still something the committee will respect.

Thanks for the correction...

at Florida State will be a tough game too. They're tough at home and have a big front line. Pitt really got a great schedule...they get all the good teams at home with no return road game (Duke, UVA, FSU). Their only "tough" road game is at UNC and unless they wake up that's not that bad.

If the schedule works like I think it will next year, they will play those three teams on the road, with one possibly home-and-home. They are also supposed to be one of Louisville's home-and-home partners (UVa is supposed to be the other). We will play you in the Dome next year, and possibly home-and-home.

Can't lose...either team losing is great. Hopefully 10 sprained ankles too

Miami awarded that regular season championship to itself last season. They had a net cutting ceremony and everything. Then when they won the ACC Men's Basketball Tournament in Greenboro, they also received the ACC Championship Trophy and cut the net again. That's when they received the ACC automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. The Champion recognized by the league is the tournament champion.

I think I actually posted the same thing from Wiki, just not actually quotes, about an hour before you lol. It was in the tiebreaker thread

lol that's great, glad to see when others and I think and act the same. Speaking of the term tiebreaker, while it would seem you won it due to time, I actually made a claim to the championship belt, the only championship that truly matters at the moment when it comes to this thread. I even did the motion around my waste to further affirm in my subconscious that I hold the championship belt on a thread about champions. Maybe it's just me, but I see a degree of art in that. As for the ACC, some of us got what we asked for, and we can't expect them to honor our desires upon first arrival. We have to remember that even with the familiarity of a few teams, we are strangers in a strange land at the moment. And like the team, the fans are going to have to adjust to the few changes if we wish to remain happy.

Either way, I am still the title belt holder on this thread, regardless of how many times said info was mentioned before elsewhere. It's kinda like how there was also the intercontinental title belt, which I never understood the difference from the world title. Were only certain continents selected for the former? Beyond the different belts, the title holders shift owners from time to time. I generally try to be humble, but people love pro wrestling and the government battles that so often resemble it but most often serve to centralize power rather than spread it to keep it balanced as our founders intended, regardless of the party. I ran out of beer, and am temporarily distracting myself by writing instead.

The silver lining with the Pitt/ Duke throwndown is that one of the teams will ultimately have to lose and there is plenty of rationale for reveling regardless of which team it may be.

I for one would like to see Pitt lose since they represent the most likely challenger for the regular season title. That coupled with the fact that they have had more success against us than pretty much any team in recent history and I pretty much detest the style of play that Pitt has come to utilize to complete against us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom