3 Rings 9 years | Syracusefan.com

3 Rings 9 years

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
(smiles)

And there is a new Mr. October

58170344fd2e4c619a4e604210408729-e76c1fe29710472ebb493963ab0a35d4-1.jpg

article-2480788-191879E100000578-860_634x417.jpg

What was with that helmet? Are they afraid of concussions due to flying corks?

Great win last night. Very fun season. Glad to be a Sox fan.

David Ortiz has clinched his Hall of Fame berth IMO with this title run. Ortiz is first non-Yankee to win three rings with one team since Jim Palmer did so for the Orioles (1966, 1970, 1983.)

Honestly, nowadays the NL has very little chance against the Yankees or Red Sox in a World Series IMO. In 2003, the Red Sox took everything out of the Yankees and Beckett was on fire for the Marlins, and since then the Red Sox is 3 for 3 and the Yankees are 1 for 1.
Red Sox has 4 free agents in their starting lineup which is great because they can restock their farm system IMO. Cherrington is going to offer 1 year 15 million dollar qualifying offers to Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Stephen Drew, and Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury will definitely get a multi-year offer, Drew with Scott Boras will probably get a 4 year contract, and Saltalamacchia and Napoli will likely resign and with the rotation depth the Sox future is bright.

David Ortiz has clinched his Hall of Fame berth IMO with this title run. Ortiz is first non-Yankee to win three rings with one team since Jim Palmer did so for the Orioles (1966, 1970, 1983.)

Honestly, nowadays the NL has very little chance against the Yankees or Red Sox in a World Series IMO. In 2003, the Red Sox took everything out of the Yankees and Beckett was on fire for the Marlins, and since then the Red Sox is 3 for 3 and the Yankees are 1 for 1.
Red Sox has 4 free agents in their starting lineup which is great because they can restock their farm system IMO. Cherrington is going to offer 1 year 15 million dollar qualifying offers to Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Stephen Drew, and Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury will definitely get a multi-year offer, Drew with Scott Boras will probably get a 4 year contract, and Saltalamacchia and Napoli will likely resign and with the rotation depth the Sox future is bright.

Maybe - pretty clearly a roid'er. That big smile may keep him out of trouble though. He has enjoyed a magical Clemens like resurrection!!

Chew on the numbers for Papi in the post-season for a second.

.733 Batting average in the Series. I mean, you can't even do that in a video game on easy mode.

His .091 average in the Detroit series was pretty spectacular.

Ok. but the Sox are not in the series if he doesn't hit that GS in game 2. Lifetime .467 in the world series with a 1.267 slugging. Tied Bonds for IBB in less games. 9 straight on base. Don;t be a hater. Best DH ever.

Great win last night. Very fun season. Glad to be a Sox fan.

Congrats. Boston was very deserving, it was a terrific title run. Their pitching was outstanding, defense was very solid, and they got hits with RISP. Can't do more than that.

Edgar Martinez, but Ortiz would probably be second...maybe.

Ortiz has completely eclipsed Edgar Martinez.
Edgar has a better career batting average but Ortiz leads him in homers, RBIs, slugging.

Beyond stats, Ortiz destroys Martinez in clutch hitting, too.
Who would you rather have on your team, especially in the playoffs? Edgar or Ortiz?

Ortiz is a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Ortiz is a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Ha ha. Ortiz isn't even close.

Ty Cobb1936
Walter Johnson1936
Christy Mathewson1936
Babe Ruth1936
Honus Wagner1936
Bob Feller1962
Jackie Robinson1962
Ted Williams1966
Stan Musial1969
Sandy Koufax1972
Warren Spahn1973
Mickey Mantle1974
Ernie Banks1977
Willie Mays1979
Al Kaline1980
Bob Gibson1981
Hank Aaron (bio)1982
Frank Robinson1982
Brooks Robinson1983
Lou Brock1985
Willie McCovey1986
Willie Stargell1988
Johnny Bench1989
Carl Yastrzemski1989
Joe Morgan1990
Jim Palmer1990
Rod Carew1991
Tom Seaver1992
Reggie Jackson1993
Steve Carlton1994
Mike Schmidt1995
George Brett1999
Nolan Ryan1999
Robin Yount1999
Kirby Puckett2001
Dave Winfield2001
Ozzie Smith2002
Eddie Murray2003
Dennis Eckersley2004
Paul Molitor2004
Wade Boggs2005
Tony Gwynn2007
Cal Ripken, Jr.2007
Rickey Henderson2009

An admitted PED-using DH? I'd be very surprised.

I think it's crazy that this has become a talking point. It's an argument based on allegations.
He didn't admit to using anything. He refuted those allegations.

A weak NYT article said he's on a list. That's not failing a test. That's just a reporter saying he was on a list.
Also, the number of players on the list is greater than the number of positive tests.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/08/mlbpa_statement.html

Considering his body frame has basically remained the same over the past 10 years as have his batting stats, considering there's no evidence that he ever tested positive, this accusation is as weak as Bud Light.

Ha ha. Ortiz isn't even close.

Ty Cobb1936
Walter Johnson1936
Christy Mathewson1936
Babe Ruth1936
Honus Wagner1936
Bob Feller1962
Jackie Robinson1962
Ted Williams1966
Stan Musial1969
Sandy Koufax1972
Warren Spahn1973
Mickey Mantle1974
Ernie Banks1977
Willie Mays1979
Al Kaline1980
Bob Gibson1981
Hank Aaron (bio)1982
Frank Robinson1982
Brooks Robinson1983
Lou Brock1985
Willie McCovey1986
Willie Stargell1988
Johnny Bench1989
Carl Yastrzemski1989
Joe Morgan1990
Jim Palmer1990
Rod Carew1991
Tom Seaver1992
Reggie Jackson1993
Steve Carlton1994
Mike Schmidt1995
George Brett1999
Nolan Ryan1999
Robin Yount1999
Kirby Puckett2001
Dave Winfield2001
Ozzie Smith2002
Eddie Murray2003
Dennis Eckersley2004
Paul Molitor2004
Wade Boggs2005
Tony Gwynn2007
Cal Ripken, Jr.2007
Rickey Henderson2009

We shall see.

Considering his body frame has basically remained the same over the past 10 years as have his batting stats, considering there's no evidence that he ever tested positive, this accusation is as weak as Bud Light.

Actually, he's dropped a shitload of weight. Precipitously, as it were. And he's not even in the same chapter as the names on JJR's list above.

ps: I mean no offense to you personally oio, I just don't see it. Then again, I am a Yankees fan, so that's probably a factor as well.

Last edited:
Actually, he's dropped a shitload of weight. Precipitously, as it were. And he's not even in the same chapter as the names on JJR's list above.

ps: I mean no offense to you personally oio, I just don't see it. Then again, I am a Yankees fan, so that's probably a factor as well.

He's leaner the last couple years due to a change in diet (partly because his cholesterol was too high):
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7609437/

We're still talking about accusations without any facts.

Yes. It should be in his favor though. In that, the Red Sox, who were the Yankee's biotch since they sold the rights to arguable the greatest player in baseball after he lead them to the 1918 championship, did not win the series again until 86 and 95 years later. The fact that they overcome a 3-0 deficit, which was unprecedented, to win 8 straight in the post season because in large part because of one Big Papi and his timeley swings.

I agree first ballot, but that is true because of his swings in the post season. Just like Reggie. Hence my comment in the OP.

Here are the numbers...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksre01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ortizda01-bat.shtml

Yes. It should be in his favor though. In that, the Red Sox, who were the Yankee's biotch since they sold the rights to arguable the greatest player in baseball after he lead them to the 1918 championship, did not win the series again until 86 and 95 years later. The fact that they overcome a 3-0 deficit, which was unprecedented, to win 8 straight in the post season because in large part because of one Big Papi and his timeley swings.

I agree first ballot, but that is true because of his swings in the post season. Just like Reggie. Hence my comment in the OP.

Here are the numbers...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksre01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ortizda01-bat.shtml

The 3 World Series rings to go with the 2004 ALCS MVP and 2013 WS MVP most likely put Ortiz over the edge to get into the Hall. Prior to this post season, he was a borderline candidate. The Hall voting tends to be against the DH position. Only Paul Molitor and Jim Rice are currently in the Hall with at least 25% of their careers at DH. The voting you should pay attention to will be the 2014 class with Frank Thomas. His numbers far outweigh those of Ortiz and he has 2 AL MVPs (while he was still playing 1st). Those 2 MVPs outweigh Ortiz's post season accolades. If Frank Thomas isn't a first ballot hall of famer (he should be), then you can guarantee Ortiz won't be either. Ortiz has onlt played 263 of his 1969 games in the field. '97 & '98 were the only season he played more games in the field than at DH (81 / 11). This is a huge strike against him in the eyes of the BWAA.

We're still talking about accusations without any facts.

“Today I was informed by a reporter that I was on the 2003 list of MLB players to test positive for performance-enhancing substances,” Ortiz said at the time.

“I want to talk about this situation and I will as soon as I have more answers. In the meantime I want to let you know how I am approaching this situation. One, I have already contacted the Players Association to confirm if this report is true. I have just been told that the report is true. Based on the way I have lived my life, I am surprised to learn I tested positive.

“Two, I will find out what I tested positive for. And, three, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me — I will not hide and I will not make excuses.”

Ten years later, we're still waiting ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2013/10/30/david-ortiz-haters-peds-and-the-world-series/

“Today I was informed by a reporter that I was on the 2003 list of MLB players to test positive for performance-enhancing substances,” Ortiz said at the time.

“I want to talk about this situation and I will as soon as I have more answers. In the meantime I want to let you know how I am approaching this situation. One, I have already contacted the Players Association to confirm if this report is true. I have just been told that the report is true. Based on the way I have lived my life, I am surprised to learn I tested positive.

“Two, I will find out what I tested positive for. And, three, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me — I will not hide and I will not make excuses.”

Ten years later, we're still waiting ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2013/10/30/david-ortiz-haters-peds-and-the-world-series/

You extracted quotes from an article in which the author himself writes that Ortiz is a big target simply because he's an incredible hitter. He talks about how the problems with testing and that players could potentially be using PED's (although it seems to be getting more difficult to get away with it).

The quotes above even illustrate that Ortiz was surprised that he tested positive and that he doesn't believe the results.

Here's a quote from the link that I referenced before:
First, the number of players on the so-called "government list" meaningfully exceeds the number of players agreed by the bargaining parties to have tested positive in 2003. Accordingly, the presence of a player's name on any such list does not necessarily mean that the player used a prohibited substance or that the player tested positive under our collectively bargained program.

In other words, the info on that list doesn't add up.

Bring me factual information that he's guilty.

You extracted quotes from an article in which the author himself writes that Ortiz is a big target simply because he's an incredible hitter. He talks about how the problems with testing and that players could potentially be using PED's (although it seems to be getting more difficult to get away with it).

The quotes above even illustrate that Ortiz was surprised that he tested positive and that he doesn't believe the results.

Here's a quote from the link that I referenced before:
First, the number of players on the so-called "government list" meaningfully exceeds the number of players agreed by the bargaining parties to have tested positive in 2003. Accordingly, the presence of a player's name on any such list does not necessarily mean that the player used a prohibited substance or that the player tested positive under our collectively bargained program.

In other words, the info on that list doesn't add up.

Bring me factual information that he's guilty.

Yes, I quoted from an article and attached the link so that anyone interested could read the entire article, indicating I'm not trying to hide anything.

Frankly, I'd be surprised too, if I thought my masking technology exceeded the detection technology, and then was told I tested positive.

And he still hasn't made good on his pledge to tell what he tested positive for, nor how it happened, has he?

edit: I think there's a very strong chance he's using/used some kind of PED, and you think he's as pure as the driven snow. We'll leave it at that. If it wasn't for Bud Selig, we'd all be past this by now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom