365th | Syracusefan.com

365th

That’s where we rank in 3 point defense - dead last BTW. Must be because Jesse didn’t rotate out fast enough that one time ‍♂️
I’m assuming this is by ppg and not by percentage because our percentages haven’t been as bad. It’s just that even a 35% clip when you get up that many 3’s is going to make your true shooting percentage pretty hard to overcome

I’m assuming this is by ppg and not by percentage because our percentages haven’t been as bad. It’s just that even a 35% clip when you get up that many 3’s is going to make your true shooting percentage pretty hard to overcome
I think it’s based on 3pters made by per game

Yes it’s 3pm not %. And it’s absolutely hilarious.

How could we ever have seen this coming?

Team that lacks athleticism up top (hOw dO we deFiNe It) + a team that struggles to rebound + a defense that allows open 3s + the way basketball is played in 2021.

I am shocked!

What are we doing here?

We are highest in three point makes allowed per game. (Although that would be 358th not 365th).

Per Barttorvik we are also highest in % of three points shot ATTEMPTS we allow -- about 52% before the game.

Our 3 point % defence is ranked 228th per Barttorvik... at 34.1%. The % is not great but not the worst either. Its below average. But what kills our defensive efficiency is that the 3 point shot tends to inherently generate more offensive rebounds, and we make that problem even worse.

High school kids are taught now to run to the corner for threes on fast breaks. We have a defense predicated upon a center rushing out to cover the corner ...
like crazy GIF

High school kids are taught now to run to the corner for threes on fast breaks. We have a defense predicated upon a center rushing out to cover the corner ...
like crazy GIF

Not on fast breaks. Everyone is right, the defense is hideous but there is too much drama right now. Keep your heads about you and you’ll realize you don’t have to make up stories like the nepotism, or the corner three thing, or whatever. The team sucks big time, we all see it. Is it because of the 2-3 or the substitution patterns, or the press conferences, or the corner 3 responsibilities? Not really. The team just sucks. JB and staff constructed this team so they bear the blame for that. But none of the factors being gripes about aren’t going to fix it at this point. We have the pieces we have for this year, it’s not going to change now. What do you want? Bench Jimmy and play 36 min of Benny? He’s awful and ineffective in every possible way. Bench Buddy and put Symir out there for 40? That’d be great. Play man? Good luck.

Not on fast breaks. Everyone is right, the defense is hideous but there is too much drama right now. Keep your heads about you and you’ll realize you don’t have to make up stories like the nepotism, or the corner three thing, or whatever. The team sucks big time, we all see it. Is it because of the 2-3 or the substitution patterns, or the press conferences, or the corner 3 responsibilities? Not really. The team just sucks. JB and staff constructed this team so they bear the blame for that. But none of the factors being gripes about aren’t going to fix it at this point. We have the pieces we have for this year, it’s not going to change now. What do you want? Bench Jimmy and play 36 min of Benny? He’s awful and ineffective in every possible way. Bench Buddy and put Symir out there for 40? That’d be great. Play man? Good luck.

I'm not sure I understand your point? The corner three isn't some myth. Pitino started beating us this way well over a decade ago. If you are saying running a defense that requires a 5 to cover corner 3s is not a problem in this age of basketball, you simply aren't "with it." The overarching point is that the primary shot in the game today is a three pointer, and our defense is set up to either cede that shot, or contort itself to the point of dissolving any structural integrity.

There’s been plenty of posts with specifics on what we can try. None include the straw men of playing Benny or Symir 40 mins.

I'm not sure I understand your point? The corner three isn't some myth. Pitino started beating us this way well over a decade ago. If you are saying running a defense that requires a 5 to cover corner 3s is not a problem in this age of basketball, you simply aren't "with it." The overarching point is that the primary shot in the game today is a three pointer, and our defense is set up to either cede that shot, or contort itself to the point of dissolving any structural integrity.

The post said the center has to cover the corner 3 in transition defense. That is untrue.

That’s where we rank in 3 point defense - dead last BTW. Must be because Jesse didn’t rotate out fast enough that one time ‍♂️
screw it, time to go all Run and Gun, get the best shot you can in the first 7 seconds of a possession with these defensive numbers. What is Paul Westhead up to

The strategy with our 2-3 zone has caused us to usually lead the field, or close to it, in 3 point defense. A LOT depends on WHO we put on the court. It’s not a strategy problem…..it’s a personnel problem.

The strategy with our 2-3 zone has caused us to usually lead the field, or close to it, in 3 point defense. A LOT depends on WHO we put on the court. It’s not a strategy problem…..it’s a personnel problem.
Yes, the personnel is the over-arching issue, but there is absolutely flaws in the defensive system. I found it hilarious during the game Saturday when Raf and the play-by-play guy were talking about Jesse having to cover the corner 3. I don't remember the exact exchange but the PXP guy remarked "isn't it unreasonable to expect the 5 to cover that much ground" and Raf responded "maybe, but that's what Jim expects" lolololololol.

I think the not so obvious point as well is if you look at the last team statistically was lights out on D was 2014-15.

that team still was in the 300 range for 3PAttempts.
but 152 for makes, and 17th!!! In percentage

if you remember that team, it was sometime shaky on the boards with Mali down low on one side (Roberson and Lydon were tremendous though and Coleman was a big body) so the difference is as you said is not just the rebounding with this team and recent teams...which creates more shots, but we simply aren’t guarding out front as well.

...and we’ve had the same guards for 3 years now.
*shrug*

Door number 3 is to play Symir at the point. Joe subs for both Symir and Buddy.
Buddy plays some at the 3.

Door number 3 is to play Symir at the point. Joe subs for both Symir and Buddy.
Buddy plays some at the 3.

Sy isn’t as good as Joe

Sy isn’t as good as Joe
This Smir stuff is laughable. He’s one of the worst guards to play here. He can’t shoot and he’s a bad defensive player. Every one always wants to rag on Joe, but for several games he’s been our best player. The last two have been lousy, but tell me if Smir could score ten points in a game with no defense on the floor. Joe has much better vision and is the only player on this team that feeds the post. Smir couldn’t even get minutes at Marquette. He’s not the answer. This team has no answers and we are going to struggle all season.

This Smir stuff is laughable. He’s one of the worst guards to play here. He can’t shoot and he’s a bad defensive player. Every one always wants to rag on Joe, but for several games he’s been our best player. The last two have been lousy, but tell me if Smir could score ten points in a game with no defense on the floor. Joe has much better vision and is the only player on this team that feeds the post. Smir couldn’t even get minutes at Marquette. He’s not the answer. This team has no answers and we are going to struggle all season.
Symir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom